Login * Member Blogs
FAQ *
   Search *
Member Stores
View unanswered posts
View active topics ::

IMPORTANT!

IMPORTANT NOTE: While email addresses are protected and hidden from view to both members and guest, if you have recently received unsolicited email contact from any member or former member, please forward it to us. Click to read more.

Becoming a member of the IG community is as simple as registering. To register, please click on "Login", and then "Register". Please note, registrations are activated manually by a moderator, so there may be a tiny delay in signing up and account activation. Registered, but having trouble with login? Please read this thread.

Members new and old, it's always a good time to re-acquaint yourself with the rules. New members, unsure about where to post stuff, or overwhelmed by the number of forums? Please check out the useful thread index.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The tale of genji
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:35 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

I finaly picked up The Tale Of Genji from the public library today. I was so anxious to read it. So I was very dissapointed when I opened it up and I could hardly fallow it. Is it just me or is this a hard book to fallow?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:50 am 
Onesan
Onesan

Fav. Maiko: Fukuho
Fav. Geiko: Mamesuzu
Fav. Motif: Ume
No, I too had trouble following it.  Someone posted an anime of it a bit ago... I took the easy way out and watched that....

It's here if anyone is interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INWYsZb6 ... 3&index=58

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:01 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

It's really very simple, for the most part. I'll nap a summary I once saw on Livejournal and haven't been able to forget for its hilarity:

The Tale of Genji Ultra-Condensed

Genji: Sleep with me tonight.

Some noblewoman: OK.

Repeat FIVE or SIX times.

Genji: Now I must go into exile, but to soothe my angst, I shall dance by this symbolic cherry tree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:39 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

roflmao, fushidara.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:44 am 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Fav. Maiko: kotoha
Fav. Geiko: Suzuha
Fav. Motif: asanoha
Geimyo: Beque
LOL totally makes sense then.

i read a childs book about a japanese princess and it makes a lil mention about the maiko and their obi, but not enough. written like a diary

its under the Dear america. even though they have nothing to do with America.

yep....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:30 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fortunately, I first read the (Seidenstricker translation of) the Tale of Genji right after a bunch of English eighteenth-century fiction. After Tom Jones, Genji was fast-paced and fully-characterized.

As for the formula...one of the most memorable bits from my college newspaper (I wish I'd kept a copy of this issue, and had the author's name to credit) was a short guide to the poetry of John Dunne and three of his contemporaries..."To the Virgins, to Make Much of Time," "To His Coy Mistress," that sort of thing..

"Give it up, babe." The writer listed the poems and just repeated this one line over and over. I think he might have varied the formula..."You'll be dead someday, so give it up, babe," and "You'll be old soon, so give it up, babe," depending on the cliche in question.

Ah--anyone read the Royall Tyler translation yet, and would you recommend it over Seidenstricker for casual reading?

--Bai

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:27 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

here's a link to a tale of genji e-book

http://www.globusz.com/ebooks/Genji/00000010.htm

it's a condensed version that i read before attempting the juggernaut herself. i found that it *really* helps, and it's useful because finishing the actual book within the borrowing period set by the library is hard :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:14 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

My problem is to remember all his mate's names :roll: and get into the second part of the book.

The story is boring but it is interesting from a cultural point of view. Pity that at least my translater had no clue of wafuku. I guess the quality of the poetry can't be translated.

(*poetry reading* ROTFL)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:44 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

I guess that there is nothing to understand in Genji. It's only endlessly repeating emotions... like repeating seasons and all poetry and celebrations that follow them. There is no reasonable or satisfying beginning or ending.

Soap-opera like The bold and the beautiful  :D How many years that show has been in TV ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:35 am 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

too long soap opera rules

-only 2 people per scene
-no one smiles
-someone is cheating on someone with a possible pregnancy
-someone is in a hospital from an injury
-everything is sparkly (even the dirty cars)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:01 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

funny you should mention this im trying to, no ill amend that, tried to read that and its sitting on the 3rd chapter unread.  I too was excited to read it but found my eyes glazing over.  Sherlock Holmes for the win! lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:50 am 
Jimae Geiko
Jimae Geiko

They didn't have TV or the internet in Murasaki's day... or as much to mentally process as we do, so it seems... :roll: it's a bit like tackling some nineteenth century novels...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:34 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

compared with the 20th chapter of Ilias, Genjimonotegari rules ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:46 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Location: beyond midnight, in the abyss of time, the syren in the night
Fav. Motif: shibori,yuzen,butterflies
^^^^ yeah i can agree there, some, i never finished ilias i think, we read it in my literature class one time , and i think the teacher gave up...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:24 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

There's not a whole lot to the story as far as plot goes.  The thing that makes the book cool is how much Japanese culture that is depicted in the book is still applicable to Japan today.  I read it when I was studying in Japan and it helped me get by a whole lot easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:27 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Konnichiwa!
The tale of Genji in Hungary was translated and published at 1963!
I bought it, but really hard to read.
So, it's sad...there isn't a new translating, or a new form for this history. (with pictures etc.) :cry:

But in my town (little) there are teachers of a japanese language!
(Not, just in Budapest, in the capital)

:)
Happy Easter and Passover!
Éva

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:42 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

I just bought The Tale of Genji after reading the Tale of Murasaki and yep - ive been skipping whole pages of conversation lol. Its hard-going but interesting, if only i could concentrate a little better hehehhe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:27 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

So i bought the book! i cant wait to get started on it!! But im afraid of the size!! And from what i hear its hard to follow. But im thinking about getting Puette's Tale of Genji reading guide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:15 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Actually the best thing you can do about Genji Mnogatari is to pick up some fragments that are the most famous ones and read them carefully. They are famous for a reason.

My favourites are: secret meetings of Hikaru and Yugao, the moment that Hikaru spots young Murasaki for the first time (and she complains about a neighbourhood boy letting free her sparrow), the literature talk between Hikaru and Tamakazura and the one where I don't remember the name of the lady in question but it is about Hikaru looking at a kimono lying next to him and missing its owner.

And another one where he is caught in the ladies' premises and has only enough time to bury his face among the pillows. There is only masses of silk and his flowing black hair to be seen... and a fan with a fatal inscription letting out its author...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:17 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Genji MONOgatari of course. It's late over here and I tend to miss the keys on the board :sigh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:18 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

In general- it is a book to taste one bit at a time and savour the nuances

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:44 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: uh... Chidori? Also, asanoha
I would just suggest gettign an annotated version (do they come without annotation??) because there are way too many details that are practically incomprehensible without the extra notes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:19 pm 
Furisode Shinzo
Furisode Shinzo

Fav. Motif: Heian/Stripes/Kiku/
annotaion it the best I wonder if they do a sort of Shakpere for dumies type thing

Post subject: Royall Tyler Translation
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:00 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

It's very good.  But if I were to recommend it, I would recommend it to the following as a reference in classical Japanese culture for the following:

1) Lovers of the tea ceremony
2) Fans of incense ceremony (chapter titles and 'mood' indicators)
2) Fans of decorative and poetic motifs
3) Historical fans who love literary cross referencing.

The synopsis in the front of each chapter in this translation will brief one about the poetic and history--and throughout the text are small illustrations.

It is supposedly one of the earliest novels put down on paper. The wandering episodes seem to frustrate one looking for the drama of Kabuki or perhaps the rich interaction of divine and mundane of No...I find the Royall Tyler translation very very good when I'm looking for cross references and resources...however you can enjoy folk arts and colorful items of Japanese culture without having to use this reference, if you are short on time and resources.

I just finally got to a place where it made sense to invest in it!

Regards,

Mari

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:40 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

I really think it matters what translation of the book you get! Sometime last year I picked the book up from my library and could barely follow it and yes it seemed boring. But then I bought a diffrent copy on amazon that is such a better translation and I love the book. All the emotion and poetry is very beautiful and the story is pretty interesting overall. The version I have deosn't have all the chapters. Only the main and most significant ones. I really recommend doing research to find a copy with a clear translation because it makes all the difference. I love this book!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:37 pm 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Genji is NOT an easy read. If you are used to 250 page romance novels or pop fiction, you may have a hard time getting into this one. It was written 1000 years ago in another language and culture.

If you want to "taste" Genji, get the abridged translation by Seidensticker (384 p.) or the Royall Tyler Penguin Classics translation (400 pages).

The Royall Tyler Penguin Classics Deluxe edition is a massive 1216 pages. I feel it is well worth the effort if a preliminary taste from one of the abridged versions makes you want more. It's copiously annotated, so you can understand all the cultural references, poetic allusions and keep track of who is who. Having read the abridged Seidensticker, I approached this edition in stages. The episodic nature of the narrative allowed me to read a few chapters, put it away for awhile, then come back and read a bit more when I was ready to see what Hikaru Genji was up to this week.

If you are interested in the poetry from Genji, look for A String of Flowers, Untied, translated by Jane Reichhold, and Hatsue Kawamura.

BTW, it's perfectly ok NOT to like something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:51 am 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

ya i might not divulge into the tale of the genji. im more of a "i am a cat" kinda person.

but i think i'll look for these translations and see if i can withstand it. if i can, then heck im going for the monster :rarr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:02 am 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

"I Am A Cat" is a fun read. I highly recommend it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:44 pm 
Jimae Geiko
Jimae Geiko

kugepoet, you answered the questions I was about to ask re different editions of Genji before I had managed to ask them!  Many thanks!

Your advice re reading the Royall Tyler edition in manageable chunks echoes the original readers' experiences - wasn't it written in sections/installments?  (Sorry, my idea there is totally influenced by reading Liza Dalby's "The Tale of Murasaki").
:coy:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:17 pm 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Most likely it was written in episodes. The original manuscript(s) is gone, what survives comes from later copies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:04 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Motif: Koto, biwa, matsu, tsuru
I found Royall Tyler's deluxe edition (read once) a bit easier to follow than Seidensticker's full version (read twice).  That's partly due to Tyler using a different naming convention throughout the book.  Seidensticker's characters changed name/rank throughout the novel, as they got promoted, making it a challenge to keep track of who-used-to-be-whom-but-was-now-someone-else(!). Tyler decided to basically give the characters their most "recognizable" name, and then stick to it throughout the book, rather than changing their name as they changed their status.

I was discussing Genji with a well-known Japanese ukiyo-e dealer in my city a few years ago, and he said the best translation he's ever read was the Arthur Waley one.  I tried for several years to lay hands on it, but have not had success to this day....  Anyone else out there read the Waley version, or have any comments on it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:13 am 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

I think you've got that backwards. Seidensticker did the one-name thing. Tyler sticks to the original text in that he calls everyone by what Murasaki Shikibu called them - but each chapter includes a list of characters and it will tell you if their title changed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:27 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Motif: Koto, biwa, matsu, tsuru
kugepoet, hajimemashite.  Thanks for giving me a reason to re-visit these two Genji, even if it was just a quick skim!  Went and pulled both translations off my shelves, and you're absolutely right - Seidensticker did stick to one name per character.  (Funny what the mind remembers....and not always correctly, either!  :( )  I can only say that I read the Seidensticker translation the first time about twenty years ago, second time over a decade ago, and have not touched that book since.  I therefore plead aging memory and hope to be forgiven my slip - I'll try not to let it happen too often!  :)

Re: Tyler's translation, I see I wasn't very specific about what I meant, so I'll try again.  I found his "Relationship to earlier chapters" page at the beginning of each chapter to be extremely helpful, and that feature is one of the reasons I enjoyed his translation a bit more than Seidensticker's.  (Thanks for reminding me about it - I'd forgotten that nice touch since I read the Tyler about six years ago.) Yes, as you say, he changes people's ranks in the text as their characters move through life.  However, in his "relationship" lists, he always shows each personage with their status in that chapter, and then in brackets after each, he also helpfully puts their most "recognizable" name as well, so one can comfortably keep track of who's who.

To give an example of what I mean, selecting just a few chapters at random and using To no Chujo's character (sorry, can't make the long vowel marks in my system), Tyler presents him in Yugao chapter 4 as "The Secretary Captain, Genji's friend and brother-in-law (To no Chujo)", in Aoi chapter 9 as "The Third Rank Captain, Aoi's brother (To no Chujo), and in Fujibakama chapter 30 as "His Excellency, the Palace Minister (To no Chujo) [italics mine].  It was this character identification via a single consistent name that I was referring to in my last post; hope that clarifies things.

I look forward to hearing of anyone's experience of the Waley version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:23 am 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

kotokutie wrote:
I found his "Relationship to earlier chapters" page at the beginning of each chapter to be extremely helpful, and that feature is one of the reasons I enjoyed his translation a bit more than Seidensticker's.  

Yes. Tyler wanted his translation to be true to the text and the aesthetic, but he needed to help his modern readers through the maze of ever-changing titles. I think he came up with a very good solution. The annotations in the Tyler translation are also very helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:09 pm 
Minarai-san
Minarai-san

Fav. Maiko: mamechiho,mamehana, kyouka
Fav. Geiko: katsuno.miyoharu,kotoha,wakana
there is an old anime movie based on the story, but you have to register to see it( its free)
http://www.crunchyroll.com/media-291798/Murasaki-Shikibu-Genji-Monogatari-Movie-Complete.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:10 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: yanagi, fuji, kaede
Geimyo: Tsukihana
Ah, I rented that version from Japan Video here in San francisco back when they still had videotapes for rental.  Good movie.

and related around a corner...  Diary of Murasaki by Liza Dalby.  I found it a very fun read last semester during East Asian Art History.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:23 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Kikuyu
Fav. Geiko: Hisano
Fav. Motif: Ume, and Anything Strange.
watching the movie- looking good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:29 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

I read the chinese translation, and it wasn't hard to read at all. I had the earliest translation by mr.feng tsu kai and he somehow has gotten all the poetry into Chinese rhymes@_@ which is scary........
The Chinese "male version" consists of 2 full volume of about 4-500 pages, but I heard that the Taiwanese Translation by lady Lin Wen Yue is even better, I'm hoping to see this "female version" one day.
I think it's obviously less troublesome to translate Japanese to Chinese than to English, since there are many common cultures.

I also have disgusted at the habbit of mr. Genji going "night attack" first, before I learned that it's a remained habbit of the Maternal culture in the ancient times. The origin of this practice has to trace back to the earliest Japanese legend that two deities Izanagi and Izanami gave birth to their island, so the ancients believed that through sexual intercourse is the way to create everything (which is also the believe of many aborginal culture).
So....I think it's cool now.
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:29 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Geiko: Komako in Snow Country
Fav. Motif: Sakura
It does depend on what translation you read. I prefer Seidensticker's.

There is also a manga version, that I think is quite good, and has been translated in to English.

I beleive it is titled Asaki yumeshi.

Ah, the Waley translation. Very poetic, but very idiosyncratic He adds his own materials and deletes parts from the original. Most people like the translation done during their time period, so my age is showing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:56 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

I won't lie: it's painful for me to finish it since I read a lot of it, then put it down for weeks to a month, then pick up and try to read it in a big chunk again.

But so far it's a wonderful story and I love it.

Hence my username.   :smil3:   I picture Fujitsubo in my head as the prettiest little creature alive in those days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:11 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

I'll confess that Genji is one of my favorite "classics" and I've read several versions many times (sigh. I'm an addict - my cat is named "Genji" too  :oops: )

*Before* I ever picked up the 1000+ page tome, however, I read Ivan Morris' "The World of the Shining Prince." And I think this really helped me fall in love with the story, and also give me a better understanding of the character's lives. If you'd like to learn about Heian era life without wading through the soap oprea that is Genji, I'd highly recommend this book. It's a great review of the cultures and traditions presented in Genji without the fluffiness.

If you're looking for a very short synopsis that is absolutely breathtaking in terms of illustration, check out The Tale of Genji as illustrated by Yoshitaka Amano. For those of you who are gamers, this is the artist that created a lot of Square's early Final Fantasy concept art. This is a sort of graphic novel and it is *beautiful*!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:08 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

A complete copied manuscript of *Genji* from the Muromachi era has been
found in Tokyo.  Amazing!

English
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/features/cu ... Y02311.htm

Japanese
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/national/cultu ... from=main4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:19 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Maiko: Toshiteru
Fav. Geiko: Katsuru, Mamechiho
Fav. Motif: carp, kikkou, water wheel
Fascinating!   :katana:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:53 pm 
Kamuro
Kamuro

Fav. Motif: ume
Genji's a hard read, pretty innacessable to anyone but a premodern Japanese otaku.

a) the shared understanding of rituals, poetry, court and social lore, blah blah not posessed by a modern reader, even scholars aren't 100% sure about some of it

b) we are not it's intended audience, house bound court ladies. This was something for them to pour over, hand write out their own copies of chapters, and read and reread while their husbands were off sleeping around the court. It's alot slower paced than anything we're used to, they had time on their hands basically. Pacing it's SLOW.

c) Reading it from 'start' to 'finish' was not how it was read, rarely would anyone have had a full collection, reading it straight through just emphasises the jumpy chronology, disjointed plot, and changing styles. The post death end chapters kinda feels like a demanded for sequal tacked on, suspected of not even being written by Shikibu. Structurly and style wise it's all over the place.

So it's not easy to read, and as a modern occidentally predujiced reader I hated it.
I hear the soft porny manga is pretty good tho lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:22 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Geiko: Komomo, Kimika
Fav. Motif: waves, leaves, ume, rope...
I'm getting ready for Genji these days:
I've finished "The Tale of Murasaki" from Dalby a few days ago (great book!), now I'm reading the thick introduction to the Tale of Genji, in the french eddition and it's almost over... Genjiii, here I come!  :katana:

I hope I'll understand it enough to enjoy it, if not I'll try the modern version from Junichiro Tanizaki (in the 1950's), probably my favorite japanese writer...
Wish me good luck!  :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:43 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

My opinion is opposite to Isshi's.

I think Japanese medieval courtlady literature is surprisingly modern. Sei Shonagons pillow-book is like "Sex and a City (of Heian-Kyo)" ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:01 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

I made an atempt earlier in the year but it was a library book and I had to deal with finals. From the point of view of a modern reader I a rather discusted by Genji, though the convorsation between Genji and his friend is down right halarious. Since I got to the point where he got exiled I think I will read Ivan Morris' "The World of the Shining Prince." before I make another atempt. From a "I want to learn about the culture" point of view, I am fasinated.

Though I the only warning I got for the book is that it was a novel written durring the Heian era, imagine my suprise when I realized it was a romance!  :twitch:  (I am 15, but mature about dealing with coming across things unexpected. But me trying to explain to my teacher why I was such a brilliant shade of red without getting the book confescated was definatly interesting (  :???:  wait, what did he just do?! Reread... :shock: Oh... :oops: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:50 am 
Kamuro
Kamuro

Hanachiru wrote:
My opinion is opposite to Isshi's.

I think Japanese medieval courtlady literature is surprisingly modern. Sei Shonagons pillow-book is like "Sex and a City (of Heian-Kyo)" ?

Writing about sex and affairs is modern?  :shock: I think we've been writing about rumpy pumpy since man started finger painting on the wall.

But I hate sex in the city, so maybe that's it.

Post subject: murasaki
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:49 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

I really want to read it...im about 50 pages of finishing the tale of murasaki and i love it...she mentions alot about Genji (well oviously she wrote it)!

Post subject: Re: murasaki
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:45 pm 
Kamuro
Kamuro

Maiko-of-Gion wrote:
I really want to read it...im about 50 pages of finishing the tale of murasaki and i love it...she mentions alot about Genji (well oviously she wrote it)!

Didn't Liza Dalby write that? Who I won't say too much about since she is god around here but that is a rather sensationalist fictionalised biography, what with the lesbian shinnanigans....

Hey since you're in Kyoto why don't you go to the 1000 year aniversary of genji exhibit? There's posters up about it everywhere on JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:55 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Isshi - Not the sex ?!?!  :roll:   :roll:   :roll:
Educated  and   free women !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:26 pm 
Kamuro
Kamuro

Hanachiru wrote:
Isshi - Not the sex ?!?!  :roll:   :roll:   :roll:
Educated  and   free women !

Heian (nobel) women? Educated and free????
Sure they were literate, but in general not in the intellectual language of the day, chinese characters.
And being sequested in their crumbling houses and behind screens waiting for a husband (or lover) to maybe pay a visit is free?? They didn't have much to do all day hence the rage the need for something to read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:52 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Tsuruha and Ayano
Fav. Geiko: Umeha!!
Fav. Motif: Ume, shibori, and chidori ^^
I just got Arthur Waley's translation of Genji the other day from eBay (though I owned the last three books before hand, I just didn't know that they were any good....or that I should read them  :oops: ) and plan to start reading it, with luck, tonight.

Thankfully I knew that it was like a soap opera....though my Mum, when she bought it off eBay, gave me a strange look when I explained what it was about. I think she's been trying to keep me away from modern books like this  :roll: I wouldn't probably be reading it if I weren't interested in Japanese culture, or if I weren't heading off to Japan as a high school exchange student next year. Since when my Japanese sensei said it was required reading when she lived in Japan, I figured I should probably read it. Just to be safe. And besides, maybe I can baffle my other teachers while I'm reading it!  :katana:  :coy:

Edit: I am about 40 pages in and wow is it a hard read! So far I love the imagery and I can see why it was read by court ladies who took a long time to digest its contents. It is a very good book ^^ I need to read faster, though! Too slow, Kya, too slow!

Post subject: Re: The tale of genji
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:21 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

I've read this manga version of Genji (on Amazon part 1, 2 and 3). It's meant for adults (the manga also had a normal book-size, not a "manga-size").
I've scanned two pages from it (these two because there were many okoto drawings on it:) ), here. It took me quite a while because almost every page had footnotes (I don't know if it's very readable on the scan though, but you get an impression) .
It was fun to read Liza Dalby's book about Murasaki after having read this version of Genji already :)

I've started in Tyler's English translation today.
I also have another version of Genji, in Japanese (I borrowed the manga described above). I'll read that one after having read the English edition (though it's much thinner - if I feel like it I'll also start in the Japanese one while reading the English one...).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:34 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Geiko: Okoi
Fav. Motif: summer
I have the tyller edition on my shelf for two years and still haven't read it ^_^ its soo big and intimating >_< I read the translator note and the worst thing in a story is when the translator sums up the entire story and ruins it for you!!! -_- That's one of the reasons why I haven't read it yet and well since there so much references to other novels I've about this book I'll dedicate my summer reading it ^_^

ganbarimasu!!!!!!!! :katana:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:49 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Geiko: Miehina
Fav. Motif: Water, dragons
Geimyo: 波春/Namiharu
Note to self: Find Genji Monogatari on Amazon and get to reading it. It's not like I don't have tons of time on my hands.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:40 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Maiko: Komomo
Fav. Geiko: Mineko Iwasaki
Fav. Motif: clouds, waves, cherry blossoms
When I read it I read Royall Tyler's full edition by Penguin Books.

I like his translation and it's easy enough to follow (for me at least) if you look back to the character list at the beginning of the chapter to tell who is who and read in the end the list of events chronologically. I also picked up a copy of The World of the Shining Prince to help read it and that helped a lot (more on culture things than the paragraphs but...)

On thing to remember though is that it's difficult in Japanese too. Shikibu-san seemed to like to refer to several women at once as her and such. To the people of the time this was nice, but it's not quite our fashion and drives us (and probably the translators) a bit mad.

I'd also advise getting a friend to read it with you. It helped me a lot to discuss it with one of my friends because occasionally we'd get different things out of different chapters.

Also, I know I took a class on it at my university. You could always see if a local university has an east asian language department and if anyone there teachs anything concerning it or can help you with it.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:58 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Motif: tsuru, ume, fuji
What I found interesting in my exploration of the Tale of Genji was that someone's analysis of the tale observed (was it Ivan Morris?) how it took only one generation after Murasaki Shikibu's death for people to start having trouble interpreting her work, because many of her associations were so specific that it didn't take long for culture to begin moving on to the extent where those associations were being lost, thus making the tale very difficult for people to understand even a short time after her departure from this world.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:14 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Geiko: Miehina
Fav. Motif: Water, dragons
Geimyo: 波春/Namiharu
I just bought the Tyler translation at my nearest Border's(down in Provo)! :katana: I found it the day of my sisters graduation. We had arrived early at a nearby restaurant(Brazilian, lots of meat) and decided to look around Border's to pass the time. Imagine my surprise when I found it! So I convinced my old man to take me there today after my therapy appointment. I've barely started the first chapter, but I am so stoked to delve into this world, even if the references are so old, they're ancient. :katana:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:41 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Maiko: Akiko Kobayashi
Fav. Geiko: Mineko Iwasaki
Fav. Motif: Shou Chiku Bai
Although i found genji hard to follow to begin with, once i got myself into the right mind-set (the Heian period) i found it to be really quite enjoyable. Its true that prehaps it can seen a bit repetitive at times, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, of course, but i found it to be very poignant and beautiful, and the 'shining prince' to be a wonderful character that made me smile.

prehaps if it is a little long-winded for you, or simply not you style of reading, i would reccomend 'The Tale Of Murasaki' by Liza Dalby, or 'Murasaki Shikibu: Her Diary And Poetic Memoirs' by Richard Bowring, as they both give a wonderful insight to the author of Genji, her lifestyle and her inspiration for writing him. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:14 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Update! I found that 1987 anime version on youtube. Here's the playlist I put together for it, so one can watch it all in one if inclined. http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=0D521EB7FE9EE2C8

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:24 pm 
Tayuu
Tayuu

Fav. Maiko: Umehisa, Mameharu, both Ayano
Fav. Geiko: Kotoha, Fukuyû, Ichiraku
Fav. Motif: Tsuta, Kiku leaves, Same
Oh, thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:30 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

The autoplay does strange thing in full view.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:26 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Maiko: Mamehana, Mameharu, Manaha
Fav. Geiko: Kimika, Kotoha, Kikutsuru
Fav. Motif: sakura
My history teacher decided to just let us watch a video that summarized The Tale of Genji. I enjoyed it. My teacher said Genji was a sort of an antihero.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:07 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Quote:
a sort of an antihero.

...in what way? Sure, he didn't meet the moral standards of today's world, but it doesn't make one an anti-hero within the borders of a novel set in a different age and culture.

Heian court was a place where aesthetic standards were more valued than moral standards."Yoki hito" lit. "good people" didn't mean what it means today - that is people of kind heart etc. It meant cultured (meeting aristocratic standards) people, much in the way a "gentleman" used to mean not only a person of manners but also of high birth and certain income.

Now Genji is ideal, judging by those standards. Beautiful, refined, skillful at plying flute, dancing, writing poetry, calligraphy, but most of all at courting women. Flirtation raised to the level of art.

On the other hand, Genji Monogatari was later considered an immoral book, mostly by Confucian standards, that have been ruling the Japanese society till very recently. There was general notion that Murasaki Shikibu ended in hell among demons for writing it. There is a No play on the subject, called "Genji Kuyo", which means "mourning after Genji". The fatal end was also mentioned by Ueda Akinari in the preface to "Ugetsu Monogatari" (pardon me for not remembering the English title, it means "stories told in moonlight after rain"), which was written in th Edo era.

So I am wondering what your teacher, Chiaki-san, might have meant by "antihero"...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:35 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Maiko: Mamehana, Mameharu, Manaha
Fav. Geiko: Kimika, Kotoha, Kikutsuru
Fav. Motif: sakura
I think he meant "antihero" by today's standards. We were comparing the code of chivalry/European medieval values with Genji.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:54 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Geiko: Kimomo of Kyoto
Fav. Motif: bellflower
:heian: I found this book interesting though slow moving. One must remember whrn reading a book about a time and place so long ago you can't read it with today's mind. Japan today is not the Japan of the Heian Court. :tayuuface

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:38 pm 
Naka
Naka

Fav. Maiko: Mamehana, Tsuruha
Fav. Geiko: Umeha, Ichimame, Kikuyu
Fav. Motif: ume, water waves
hehehe :)) you're right White Rose; I actually started reading the pillow book, just to get into the mood of that time.. only after I'll finish that book I'll start reading the tale.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:13 am 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Toshiteru
Fav. Geiko: Ayano
Fav. Motif: Asagao, bamboo,
hah. i'm about 400 page's in to the full 1000 or so page's. i am finding it hard but i'm loving it since i havn't had a good book in age's. up till now i didn't evan now there were shorter version's. i just borrowed the full translation (as true to text) whith side note's from my libary. 6 week's in i'm thinking of buying it since i'm running out of reborows ^^

Now main blog!!! http://thingsyoucouldntdo.blogspot.com.au/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:25 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Maiko: Ayano
I started to read it some days ago, and I love it. :D
But The tale of Genji was a Christmas suprise for me.

About half year ago, I had a chance to borrow Liza Dalby's Tale of Murasaki from my friend. :D We both love the book and Murasaki.
After we've read the book, we talked about The Tale of Genji a lot, we wanted to read it so badly, but we couldn't. T_T
(there wasn't any translation in our country, and I couldn't get it in English too.)

I was in a Chirstmas shopping with my father, and we dropped around the new bookstore. After I bought a book, when I came out of the bookstore, suddenly I stopped and look back. OMG I couldn't breath, and I said to my father: "Peck me!"
I couldn't believe my eyes, there was a huge poster about Murasaki's Genji monogatari. :D
They translated Murasaki's Genji, and they started to sell just before Christmas. :D
So on 24th December evening, on the first day of Christmas, with my friend, we ordered to collection *_* And the express messenger arrived on 30th December. :D
I was so happy, I can't believe, I have this book. *________* :oops: :bunbun: :lol:

Sorry for the long post, I'm so happy :coy:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:37 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

A tale of Genji anime came out last year.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=10223

It only covers up to the very beginning of the Suma chapter, but I hope it continues on in another season. Every adaptation I see of Genji is only the beginning few chapters.

Search for:
Jump to: