Login * Member Blogs
FAQ *
   Search *
Member Stores
View unanswered posts
View active topics ::

IMPORTANT!

IMPORTANT NOTE: While email addresses are protected and hidden from view to both members and guest, if you have recently received unsolicited email contact from any member or former member, please forward it to us. Click to read more.

Becoming a member of the IG community is as simple as registering. To register, please click on "Login", and then "Register". Please note, registrations are activated manually by a moderator, so there may be a tiny delay in signing up and account activation. Registered, but having trouble with login? Please read this thread.

Members new and old, it's always a good time to re-acquaint yourself with the rules. New members, unsure about where to post stuff, or overwhelmed by the number of forums? Please check out the useful thread index.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 

Hung up or folded?
Folded 97%  97%  [ 29 ]
Hung up 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 30
 Post subject: Storing kimono
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:20 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

I'm redoing my room, so I can't have kimono hanging on my walls for a while. I'm planning on doing my room sort of Japanese style, so I can hang my kimonos. But for the next few weeks, I'll need to store them. I've already folded them up, but does anyone have any good ideas for storing their kimono?

Do you prefer to keep your kimono hung up or folded?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:52 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Mameyuri, Mamehana
Fav. Geiko: Umeha, Kotoha
Fav. Motif: Ume, Phoenix, Waves, Momiji
I have no room to hang up my kimono, since my walls are funny (some of them are diagonal), and my furisode is too long to hang up (although it's hanging in my closet right now, that's just because I was too lazy to put it back into its tatoshi).  I like to conserve space since I have so much crap.  I don't mind folding it at all, really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:58 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

desertlily wrote:
I have no room to hang up my kimono, since my walls are funny (some of them are diagonal), and my furisode is too long to hang up (although it's hanging in my closet right now, that's just because I was too lazy to put it back into its tatoshi).  I like to conserve space since I have so much crap.  I don't mind folding it at all, really.

lol, weird walls. im getting rid of my bunkbed and getting a bed thats low to the ground. its a sofa bed but it has a nice firm mattress. it just folds like this > and then folds back to go flat |  its basicALLY like one of those futon beds (i say futon bed because the futon is technically just a woven mattress) anyways, im going to have no chest of drawers thing for clothes (im getting a small closet organizer for clothes and stuff) and im getting rid of my cheap desk, so i'll have alot more wall space. i also need to get at least one kimono hanger. lol i have alot of work to do

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:14 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

You could put them in a chest.... or in some boxes... or on shelves in a closet. Even a tuperware box would work, I bet! :D I'd say do what seems best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:15 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Kujaku wrote:
You could put them in a chest.... or in some boxes... or on shelves in a closet. Even a tuperware box would work, I bet! :D I'd say do what seems best.

i guess i could ask my mom for a drawer in the chest of drawers i gave her from my room.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:19 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

I keep mine folded in a woven box, with layers of tissue paper in between.

I don't have a wall free thats out of the sun or I'd hang some of mine in rotation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:48 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

If I'm planning on wearing a kimono, I'll hang it two days before and then two-three days afterwards :) One of the ladies in ikebana classes told me that one should always hang a kimono at least two days after having worn it to make sure the silk was thoroughly dry (as in, no sweat or anything).

I generally keep mine folded, though, because I don't want them exposed to sunlight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:04 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

I try to keep the kimono and the cat + dog (!) living with me apart.

I have a self-made kimono hanger in the bed room which carries the kimono I plan to wear / to air the worn one. All others are folded, sorted according to the season, wrapped into cloth and stored in the lockers.

When I use a kimono for decoration, I try to make sure the cat won't use it for gymnastics and cover the top with a shawl against the dust. I try to wipe the floor before I put on a kimono.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:58 am 
Minarai-san
Minarai-san

I store mine in tatoushi, layered in a kimono starage box Image
but I air the one I've used for two days before I fold it into storage. In Japan there are all kinds of bugs that easily get in the "well-ventilated" houses, so I have insect repellant tablets all over, and cockroach traps, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:19 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

I read somewhere that hanging kimono up for long periods of time will degrade the seams and stitches as well as the cloth. If you do hang them up maybe you should rotate them? I only ever hang my kimono before and after I wear them to air them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:13 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Geiko: Kikutsuru
Fav. Motif: Momiji
I'm at college now, so I have fairly limited space.  I keep my kimono folded and wrapped in squares of fabric in a drawer, but my yukata are hanging up in my closet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:37 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Location: beyond midnight, in the abyss of time, the syren in the night
Fav. Motif: shibori,yuzen,butterflies
Dschinny wrote:
I try to keep the kimono and the cat + dog (!) living with me apart.

I have a self-made kimono hanger in the bed room which carries the kimono I plan to wear / to air the worn one. All others are folded, sorted according to the season, wrapped into cloth and stored in the lockers.

When I use a kimono for decoration, I try to make sure the cat won't use it for gymnastics and cover the top with a shawl against the dust. I try to wipe the floor before I put on a kimono.

may i ask how you made your hanger??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:51 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

My room is japanese style too! :D

But you shouldnt leave your kimono hanging up for a long time. I only hang them after ive worn one. I fold mine and wrap them all in seperate tatoshi. Then i put them in a large chest! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:05 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Location: beyond midnight, in the abyss of time, the syren in the night
Fav. Motif: shibori,yuzen,butterflies
the reasom i asked is so i can make something to air mine out with, i'll have to keep mine in the drawer the i keep other things like that with, that way it won't end up smelling like my 14 year old cat........ :x

even though i love said cat, and it not he himself that smells..., he just has urine stong enougth to make you think i have 2 use his box instead of one....,  :sigh it happends, aleast its only my room.., and it given me a reason to burn incense again....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:39 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Is there a name for the proper kimono storage boxes? I've tried to do a search for it but all I come back with it the tansu chests (too heavy and I don't have any room for it).

I'd really like those boxes you see briefly in MoaG when the kimono are being stored away for the next season and the boxes appear to be made of woven bamboo.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:50 pm 
First Mate Boobie-san (Mod)
First Mate Boobie-san (Mod)

Fav. Motif: apples, tsujigahana
I've created a mega-thread for kimono storage. Please continue discussion of storage here.  Thank you!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 

Search for:
Jump to: