Login * Member Blogs
FAQ *
   Search *
Member Stores
View unanswered posts
View active topics ::

IMPORTANT!

IMPORTANT NOTE: While email addresses are protected and hidden from view to both members and guest, if you have recently received unsolicited email contact from any member or former member, please forward it to us. Click to read more.

Becoming a member of the IG community is as simple as registering. To register, please click on "Login", and then "Register". Please note, registrations are activated manually by a moderator, so there may be a tiny delay in signing up and account activation. Registered, but having trouble with login? Please read this thread.

Members new and old, it's always a good time to re-acquaint yourself with the rules. New members, unsure about where to post stuff, or overwhelmed by the number of forums? Please check out the useful thread index.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: kimono storage
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:16 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

How do you store your kimono?? I just folded mine in the traditional style and put in in a box... Thanks in advance! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:23 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Mine are wrapped in tissue paper with little pouches of moth balls wrapped in cloth and cedar drawer liners. And then I wrap groups of them in makeshift furoshiki made out of cotton calico prints from the local chain fabric store, and then I store them in rubbermaid containers. I take a lot of them out rather often, so I don't worry about the airing problem.

Edited to add: Of course I fold them the traditional way and keep them out of the sun and damp anythings.

There's a thread in the kimono kitsuke knowledge bank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:32 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Thank you! :)

Does anyone know how the okiya store their kimono?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:24 am 
Minarai-san
Minarai-san

My kimono are folded in the traditional way (it still amazes the hell out of most of the Japanese people I know that I can do that) and stored in tatou kami. (The paper kimono-holding pouch things.) They're then stacked in my wardrobe. I don't keep any mothballs in with them because I keep parrots and it would be bad for the birds' lungs. :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:44 am 
Jimae Geiko
Jimae Geiko

After folder my kimono the traditional way I store them in tatoshi-paper and lay them flat in my drawer.
When i am unpacking one it is always like opening a very special gift  :)
(I like gifts)

Kokoro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:20 pm 
First Mate Shiba-san (Mod)
First Mate Shiba-san (Mod)

Fav. Geiko: Naosuzu, Fumiyu & Miehina!
Fav. Motif: dog
I only have one of the traditional paper wrappings, so the rest are in furoshiki (silk and synthetic).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:26 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Thanks!! I'll probably start keeping mine in a drawer(if i can find some room!) :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:51 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

If by 'in an okiya' you mean stored traditionally the way generations of kimono wearers have stored them, they have tansu. Tansu for wardrobes are storage units with characteristically thin long drawers which make them ideal for storing kimono without having them piled up on top of each other.
http://www.kimono-taizen.com/teire/tansu.jpg there's an example of a less ornate but extremely practical kimono storage unit.
The kimono would be placed in their paper wraps also.
I keep some in pillow cases but it can be fiddly to get them in and out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:26 pm 
Kamuro
Kamuro

Fav. Motif: ume
i keep my nice kimono (silk) in tatou kami in a draw. Polyester ones stay in the plastic covers some came in, or just folded and put into storage boxes. I don't have enough room  :mad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:33 pm 
Dingo ate my Baby! (admin)
Dingo ate my Baby! (admin)

Fav. Motif: Matsu
I just purchased a bunch of tatoshi wrappers from http://www.ichiroya.com. They have them in the accessories section for a good price and I had them shipped SAL and they came in fast, about a week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:51 pm 
First Mate Boobie-san (Mod)
First Mate Boobie-san (Mod)

Fav. Motif: apples, tsujigahana
I've created a mega-thread for kimono storage. Please continue discussion of storage here.  Thank you!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

Search for:
Jump to: