Login * Member Blogs
FAQ *
   Search *
Member Stores
View unanswered posts
View active topics ::

IMPORTANT!

IMPORTANT NOTE: While email addresses are protected and hidden from view to both members and guest, if you have recently received unsolicited email contact from any member or former member, please forward it to us. Click to read more.

Becoming a member of the IG community is as simple as registering. To register, please click on "Login", and then "Register". Please note, registrations are activated manually by a moderator, so there may be a tiny delay in signing up and account activation. Registered, but having trouble with login? Please read this thread.

Members new and old, it's always a good time to re-acquaint yourself with the rules. New members, unsure about where to post stuff, or overwhelmed by the number of forums? Please check out the useful thread index.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:50 pm 
First Mate Shiba-san (Mod)
First Mate Shiba-san (Mod)

Fav. Geiko: Naosuzu, Fumiyu & Miehina!
Fav. Motif: dog
In all of the magazines and books that I have seen, the jewelry that you list is the only ones that I see. I never see earrings, bracelets or necklaces with kimono.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:22 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: momiji
Ditto!! I have a kimono fashion book at home, I hope to get it when my family visit as the end of this week. There's some modern hairstyle ideas and such in there I think you ladies will ove!

But I remember somethng in there about no earrings (I think maybe studs are ok?) bracelets and necklaces. BUT! They do allow false fingernails...that seems to be a big loophole that a lot of girls play upon.   :x

http://halflingsera.deviantart.com
http://sarahdraws.com

Ookini!  =^.^=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:23 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Geiko: Kikutsuryuu
Fav. Motif: Momiji
I think jewelery like earrings, necklaces and things like that aren't acceptable because they aren't stetic (for the Japanese traditional fashion or wearing).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:53 pm 
Jimae Geiko
Jimae Geiko

I believe that <i>traditionally</i>, you shouldn't wear earrings, necklaces, or bracelets, but for everyday or party wear, why not? I think it only matters if you're going to tea ceremony or some traditional event. My friends have even worn earrings with their houmongi to a friends' wedding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:27 pm 
Dingo ate my Baby! (admin)
Dingo ate my Baby! (admin)

Fav. Motif: Matsu
I recall reading that it is ok to wear pearls with a tomesode, But only pearls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:53 am 
First Mate Boobie-san (Mod)

Fav. Motif: apples, tsujigahana
I personally don't wear my rings or watch while wearing kimono - mainly because my rings aren't flat and they've snagged on the embroidery on my obi before while I was tying it. I guess putting them on after would be fine, since I did that for a wedding I went to.

My friend wears a necklace, but it's really long so it hides under her kimono. I think a chain might make the lines odd up at the collar unless it were either really long so it's hidden or really short so it sits at that little dip where the collarbones meet.

I personally think earrings are just fine, if they're small (or if you want to go for a different look). I wear studs and don't take them out - I think studs look better than the holes would.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:38 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Iyolin wrote:
I think studs look better than the holes would.

Agreed! I have my lobes stretched to a 4 gauge, and I'm sure that my little transparent acrylic plugs are *vastly* preferable to being able to see clear through my ear! As for the other rings I've got in my ears, they're all professional steel piercing jewelry that would require pliers to remove. In fact, I've never even removed some of them in the 10 or so years I've had them! Then again, I suppose these rules don't take things like body-mod piercings into account... Maybe I should ask my friend Michelle whether anyone ever gave her trouble when she was in Japan for wearing her lip ring with kimono... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:59 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

heh... as you can imagine, all this kitsuke is quite a difference from the indian saris and jewlery that I'm used to seeing. Its all beautiful, but on a different plane of aesthetics. Almost every peice of jewerly has some sort of symbolism (I.e. nose ring is a symbol of a married woman's chastity).

Now to imagine a geisha with jewerly doesnt seem to go that well. I can definitly imagine pearls because the white matches the white of their faces. Maybe even really pure silver to capture the blackness of the hair to the white of their make up. But necklaces would really clash with the neckline of kimono. maybe a choker? hm...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:02 pm 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Historically, it looks like the early Japanese wore beaded necklaces. By the Heian period, however, they're gone.

It's all about the textiles, baby! ;->

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:29 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

I recall in the movie Shogun, the one example I can remember of a woman wearing jewelry with a kimono... Mariko, being a catholic, wore a small crucifix over her kimono.  It was subtle, like Japanese style should be.

A cross or small pendant aside, I have a hard time imagining a necklace being worn over a kimono.  The only thing I can imagine is a kimono being worn loosely around the neck, like the way a geiko wears her kimono, and being paired with a simple, snug choker that doesn't cover the kimono, and doesn't draw too much attention to itself.  I think the most important part of pairing jewelry with a kimono (earrings, necklaces, rings, etc), is that they shouldn't distract from the kimono.  If your kimono is elegant and draws enough attention to itself, I see no problem with a simple lip ring or nose ring, but I wouldn't like seeing a face full of spikes and piercings with chains linking the nose ring and earring, paired with a subtle, plain yukata.
Blech.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:14 pm 
Captain Okamisan (owner)
Captain Okamisan (owner)

Fav. Maiko: Momotaro
Fav. Geiko: Tome
Fav. Motif: Uguisu
AnnaMayBelle wrote:
I see no problem with a simple lip ring or nose ring, but I wouldn't like seeing a face full of spikes and piercings with chains linking the nose ring and earring, paired with a subtle, plain yukata.
Blech.

I never take my labret piercing out...so every time I wear kimono - I have my piercing in (even when wearing kurotomesode!).  I've had it for around 6 years now and I even forget I have it in.  If you look at my kimono photographs - you can see my labret in each and every one of them :roll:

Aside from my labret - I very rarely wear any other sort of jewelery - no necklaces, rings, bracelets, earings.  I'm of the opinion that my labret piercing is interesting enough by itself, even to the point of being elegant - that I don't need anything else....well, aside from my septum that is.  I do plan on getting my septum done soon - but even then, I'll be wearing a smaller piece for it - and I'd probably hide that one when I wear kimono.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:16 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: yanagi, fuji, kaede
Geimyo: Tsukihana
What is a labret piercing, Naomi?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:26 am 
Captain Okamisan (owner)
Captain Okamisan (owner)

orastella wrote:
What is a labret piercing, Naomi?

It is the piercing I have in my chinny chin chin!

I used to wear a spike in it - but I got tired of it and switched it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:53 am 
Jimae Geiko
Jimae Geiko

I think Naomi's piercing is very elegant.

I think you girls are being way too traditional! If you find a piece of jewelry, whatever it is, that looks good with your kimono, I say wear it! You only have to be so strict with the rules when you're doing something super formal.  :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:07 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

I may not have phrased it right, but I consider a piercing like that subtle enough.  I mean really, it's just a little silver dot on your chin, it's not like wearing a sign on your chin that says "pay attention to me".  When I talk about piercings being overdone with kimono, I mean stuff like this:

She may be wearing a vinyl kimono in this photo but I have seen other girls wear stuff like that with classic silk kimono.  It just looks classless. :sigh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:29 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Oh my! I can't imagine vinal kimono would be very comfortable. It must get hot in there. I would be sweating so hard there's no way I would be able to keep makeup on like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:29 am 
Captain Okamisan (owner)
Captain Okamisan (owner)

AnnaMayBelle wrote:
I may not have phrased it right, but I consider a piercing like that subtle enough.  I mean really, it's just a little silver dot on your chin, it's not like wearing a sign on your chin that says "pay attention to me".  When I talk about piercings being overdone with kimono, I mean stuff like this:

She may be wearing a vinyl kimono in this photo but I have seen other girls wear stuff like that with classic silk kimono.  It just looks classless. :sigh

Oh!  I completely understood what you meant in your original post :)  It just made me think about the fact that I do have what is considered an unusual piercing...  I'm so used to it that it is just a part of me, just as normal as a pair of small stud earings...but I'm sure the little old Japanese ladies who see me at festivals and shows probably do a second or third glance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:28 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

when I went to japan, the school I went to didnt allow more than studs in the ears, dyed hair or excessive jewlery.... my host sister actually told me that those kind of rules are pretty common in schools in japan... so maybe the girls in furisode dont wear much jewlery because they're not used to wearing jewlery.... or maybe they dont wear any so they dont take away from the beauty of kimono  :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:12 am 
Minarai-san
Minarai-san

sakura wrote:
when I went to japan, the school I went to didnt allow more than studs in the ears

I noticed a week or two ago that one of my MALE students had an earring! A small hoop with that looked like feather-shaped beads on it. It looked really good on him. But boy was I surprised!

Coincidentally, I`m wearing kimono today... And I snuck a small, chocker-like necklace into my purse when Granny Natsue wasn`t looking. :coy: But when I got to school and tried it on, it just looked WRONG. So it`s back in the purse again. The neckline isn`t open enough to tolerate ANY sort of necklace. Alas!

I have my two rings on, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:54 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

LtDead wrote:
sakura wrote:
when I went to japan, the school I went to didnt allow more than studs in the ears

I noticed a week or two ago that one of my MALE students had an earring! A small hoop with that looked like feather-shaped beads on it. It looked really good on him. But boy was I surprised!

Coincidentally, I`m wearing kimono today... And I snuck a small, chocker-like necklace into my purse when Granny Natsue wasn`t looking. :coy: But when I got to school and tried it on, it just looked WRONG. So it`s back in the purse again. The neckline isn`t open enough to tolerate ANY sort of necklace. Alas!

I have my two rings on, though.

oh how strange for a male student to wear earrings!!! at the school i went to, i'm sure the instructer would tell him to take it out!  :D

Kimono are too pretty to be distracted with too many accessories around it, thats my opinion anyways =p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:31 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

For kimono, I always try not to wear bracelets or necklaces, though I do sneak in earstuds. But for yukata, I like to dress it up a little. I have this butterfly silver pendant I always wear like a choker with a piece of black ribbon, and since I wear it everyday I wore it with my blue yukata, and it looks fine. I think it's because I don't cross my yukata collar that tightly, so it works. I also wear bracelets and rings and fancy earrings whilst in yukata, and tend to paint my nails. It's the whole "dressing up" thing. And it doesn't look very "out", I guess because in our minds the yukata is very "fun" in nature, as opposed to wearing kimono. I have friends who wear tons of chunky rings and black plastic bracelets and chains all the time, and when they wear yukata they do the same, and it looks good, because, you know, you're used to seeing them like that so when they wear yukata it just transfers over.

But of course if I'm dressing them in kimono I'll ask them to take it off. Somehow it works with yukata, but not with kimono.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:54 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

A lot of jewelry really does look wrong with kimono, but yes, I have heard of pearls being acceptable for tomesode. So is coral I think. I hardly ever wear things in my ear piercings anyway. If it came down to kimono jewelry, I'd stick with the orthodox, but like chiiyo said, yukata is rather different. If you see a nice brooch, you can make it into an obidome anyway.. or you could use it as a shawl clasp. And there's plenty of room for creativity where kanzashi are concerned. :lovelove
Oh, and some haori himo are made from high class pearl beads and also coral, so that's jewelry in a manner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:29 pm 
Jimae Geiko
Jimae Geiko

chiiyo wrote:
But of course if I'm dressing them in kimono I'll ask them to take it off. Somehow it works with yukata, but not with kimono.

There are plenty of kimono styles that are informal--komon with tengaobi, for example--and there's no reason to hold to a "no jewelry because it's not traditional" rule for all levels of formality. Wearing kimono to your sister's wedding? Going to tea ceremony? Probably shouldn't wear more than studs. Going to a party, to the theatre, or out shopping? Why be so strict, then? If you find a piece of jewelry that looks good with you kimono, why not wear it?

I find that bracelets that fit tightly against the wrist, very long flapper-style beaded necklaces, and short dangling earrings look great with kimono. Not to mention gloves, short fur stoles, and scarves. Beaded chains or belts look modern and chic instead of obijime.

I guess I'm just experimental.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:08 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: momiji
bebemochi wrote:
chiiyo wrote:
I guess I'm just experimental.

That's GOOD though!  I'd love to see an FAQ on how you add your personal flair to your kitsuke!  :lovelove

http://halflingsera.deviantart.com
http://sarahdraws.com

Ookini!  =^.^=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:14 am 
Jimae Geiko
Jimae Geiko

GeikoSera wrote:
That's GOOD though!  I'd love to see an FAQ on how you add your personal flair to your kitsuke!  :lovelove

Eh? You mean me?  8O

I just kinda look at magazines, mess around with things I have, you know. Nothing that would require a FAQ.  :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:03 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Yeah I think she means you bebemochi. I stared at the supposed quote from me, reread my post, and went... I said that? O_O.

I would like to see it too!! In fact, my friend just bought this lovely artbook from a japanese artist and I really want to scan it because her japanese beauties section has kimono-clad ladies in beautiful colour combinations and wonderful accessorising... Let me search on the net and see whether I can find the artist link...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:02 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

it all depends on the look your going for. if you want to folow the traditional rules then no..but if you want to be more modern like the harajuku fashion then go for it! because they have all sorts of things with their kimono because they mix allot of western stlyes and traditional together.. so its what you want.. i think rings and earings would be ok

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:14 pm 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

I saw some pictures in a kimono magazine awhile back that showed what looked like dainty necklaces draped across the front of the obi, with the ends tucked in at the top. Has anyone else seen anything like this? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:51 pm 
Jimae Geiko
Jimae Geiko

hibana wrote:
I saw some pictures in a kimono magazine awhile back that showed what looked like dainty necklaces draped across the front of the obi, with the ends tucked in at the top. Has anyone else seen anything like this? :?

I have! In yukata magazines and on the street I've seen girls use those dangly chain belts instead of obijime, or, like you said, tucked across the top of their obi, or around the bottom. I think it's cute!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:19 pm 
Minarai-san
Minarai-san

I've often seen those too. They sell them at many kimono stores I visit, and sometimes I even see people wearing them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:32 pm 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

I wonder if it's acceptable to wear them with anything more formal than a yukata? And what about using a long rope-type chain for an obijime? Never seen it, but it might be nifty, especially with kimono that have metalic accents... getting the knot to stay put might be difficult though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:48 pm 
Jimae Geiko
Jimae Geiko

I think it would depend on the event to which you'd be wearing the kimono. For tea ceremony would probably be out, but for a party or a wedding, it would probably be cute!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:28 am 

Fav. Motif: apples, tsujigahana
The singer at the mini dance recital I was at on Monday was decked out sparkling. Long dangling earrings (they didn't touch the shoulder, though, but they were huge), tons of sparkly hair sticks, and GIANT rings.  She blinged. ^-^

I've seen in magazines those chains on the obi as well. I think I might like to wear some bracelets with kimono, as long as they aren't the really loose type. I've also seen (in a kimono mag, but not necessarily for daily wear) a strand of pearls wrapped around the neck, about 5 times, choker like. Looked great paired with an updo and little lace gloves with fur trim.

I *really* need to get more experimental!
I love bebemochi's style, too... gotta develop my own. It'll come, slowly!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:42 am 
Minarai-san
Minarai-san

hibana wrote:
I wonder if it's acceptable to wear them with anything more formal than a yukata? And what about using a long rope-type chain for an obijime? Never seen it, but it might be nifty, especially with kimono that have metalic accents... getting the knot to stay put might be difficult though.

Long story short: Yes. ;)

I've actually never seen them worn with yukata. I always see them with kimono. Though usually less formal kimono like komon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:53 pm 
Kamuro
Kamuro

Fav. Motif: ume
AnnaMayBelle wrote:

She's a Kyo cosplayer, she's just got the piercings he had at one point for when she cosplays a diff outfit.

Search for:
Jump to: