Login * Member Blogs
FAQ *
   Search *
Member Stores
View unanswered posts
View active topics ::

IMPORTANT!

IMPORTANT NOTE: While email addresses are protected and hidden from view to both members and guest, if you have recently received unsolicited email contact from any member or former member, please forward it to us. Click to read more.

Becoming a member of the IG community is as simple as registering. To register, please click on "Login", and then "Register". Please note, registrations are activated manually by a moderator, so there may be a tiny delay in signing up and account activation. Registered, but having trouble with login? Please read this thread.

Members new and old, it's always a good time to re-acquaint yourself with the rules. New members, unsure about where to post stuff, or overwhelmed by the number of forums? Please check out the useful thread index.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kimono storage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:00 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Pardon me if this topic has been covered before. I did a search, but I did not find what I was looking for.

I'm having a severe "problem" with my kimonos over taking my house. My collection has gotten so large now that it's taken over a 6 drawer chest and several large under-bed storage boxes. I know this isn't the best way to keep my collection and I am now seriously considering buying seperate furniture to ensure nothing gets damaged (or lost!).

So, how do you store your collection?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:15 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

well, right now my kimono is at a museum in a glass case (even though its really not one worth putting in a fancy glass case)

but some of the more affluent/lucky members store their kimono by folding them up, wrapping them in special paper and then storing in a tansu, a special kimono chest of drawers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:20 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Mine is hanging off the side of the bunk bed... 8O

But that's because I just wore it and I'm lazy. Whenever I put it away, it's in a box under the bed.

Maybe you could get a deep shelved piece of furniture, and find boxes to fit inside? Lemme try to illustrate what I'm thinking:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/ ... torage.jpg

And have the most accessible shelf contain the current season's kimono.

I dunno, just a random thought. ^^; Or you could get, like, a wall of shelves.

EDIT: I so wish I had your problem, though.

Last edited by The Silly Koneko on Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:46 pm 
Tomesode Shinzo
Tomesode Shinzo

Mine had all been hanging in my closet until a couple of weeks ago, when I started worrying about gravity.  So now they're all folded and resting peacefully in one of those deep, snap top Rubbermaid storage bins, with the exception of the shibori furisode juban that hangs on Lili's wall.  I still need to get some acid-free tissue to place between them, though.  I don't like having them where I can't admire them whenever I want, but at least they'll be better taken care of this way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:29 am 
First Mate Ika-san (Admin)

Fav. Maiko: Chicken maiko!
Fav. Geiko: Mao, Mameyoshi
Fav. Motif: Squid, tachibana, Tokaido
Geimyo: Tsukinohana - 月の花
Chrome, that's what I did a while back. I bought a big Rubbermaid tub, drilled a few holes in it so it wouldn't get damp and musty, and covered the outside with some nice fabric. Now I keep my kimono and sari folded neatly inside, separated by peices of white cotton. It's not ricepaper holders, I know, but it's all I could get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:16 pm 
Tomesode Shinzo
Tomesode Shinzo

:)   Hi there, MB!  I thought I remembered you doing that, and I really liked how you changed it from being just an ordinary storage container.  I also like the idea of white cotton better than acid-free paper, come to think of it.  After folding them, did you wrap them in the cotton or just use layers to separate the kimono?

And while we're on this topic, how does everybody store their obi?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:23 pm 
Captain Okamisan (owner)
Captain Okamisan (owner)

Fav. Maiko: Momotaro
Fav. Geiko: Tome
Fav. Motif: Uguisu
I store my obi all bunched up!  :o

Nah, just kidding!

I store my kimono and obi folded as per the book of kimono instructions and in plastic containers at the moment.

We are currently trying to "re-decorate" our apt so it looks less like a colleage dorm and like a real house ;P  Once we have finished doing that, I am going to invest in a nice set of drawers to keep my kimono, obi and accessories in.  I'd store them in boxes under my bed.....but, I sleep on a futon mattress (I hate beds) ;P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:29 pm 
Tomesode Shinzo
Tomesode Shinzo

Bunched up obi....*laughs*  You nut.  :roll:

I have a pedestal bed that already has drawers under it, stuffed full of underwear and socks.  :P   Guess I'll get some of those shallow containers for my obi (not that I have that many)...do you wrap them in fabric or paper as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:50 pm 

Chrome Kamuro wrote:
:) Hi there, MB! I thought I remembered you doing that, and I really liked how you changed it from being just an ordinary storage container. I also like the idea of white cotton better than acid-free paper, come to think of it. After folding them, did you wrap them in the cotton or just use layers to separate the kimono?

And while we're on this topic, how does everybody store their obi?

I just put layers between. They're slightly larger than the box, so I just tuck the edges down around each layer.

I also fold my obi into a rectangle (half, half again, half again... So in eigths, I guess? Math is not my strong point ^.^;;) and place them in the box too, in their own layers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:02 am 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Suzuha
Fav. Geiko: Komomo
Geimyo: Matsuko
:tayuu
I kept my colection (obis and all) in a rubermaid box.I just got a chest of draws so thay are going in there.
Dr.B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:54 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: Spiders, dragons, omodaka
Some are stored in a steamer trunk, some in Rubbermaid bins, some wrapped up in washi wrappers under the bed and dresser, and some folded and piled neatly on top of the dressers until I can get them into storage.  I don't display any of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:50 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Mine are all wrapped up in the proper rice paper and.....on the floor of my closet in piles. I have a pile for each type of kimono, so that the weight doesn't squish the poor bottomost kimono...I really would like a tansu or something like that though. How many kimono would one store?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:32 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Not from an experienced owner. but ive been keeping mine  in the plastic shipping bag that they came in in my dresser. the obis got wrinked but I was able to get them flatened by wraping them through pages of books and letting gravity do its work. my first hakama was on a hanger for a year and got torn up due to it having bad stitching and the cheap cotton yukata i got from a dodgey store and isint real but the hanger always left it wrinkled so im going to start storing them in rubbermaids with rice paper well atleast my new ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:07 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Toshiteru, Tsuruha
Fav. Geiko: Mamehana, Kimitomo, Sachiko,
Fav. Motif: Iris, wisteria, cranes
Geimyo: Himeharuka 姫春華
With the exception of my uchikake and my juban, all of my really nice kimono (i.e. anything made of silk) are wrapped in tatoshi and stacked up in the armoire my parents bought me. The juban, uchikake, all obis, yukata, and kanzashi are all in the armoire too, they're just not wrapped in tatoshi. Before that they were all stored in those long plastic under-bed storage boxes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:00 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Mine are in big plastic containers with lavender sachets. (Tupperware? Rubbermaid? I can't remember the brand.) I'm investing in some tatoshi the next time I order other things from a company that sells them.

The lavender ensures that any bugs that could creep into the containers will stay away, and it makes everything smell quite nice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:53 pm 
Minarai-san
Minarai-san

My closest is kimonoful.
Theres nothing else in it.

I use those three tier drawers. They seem to fit everything just perfect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:08 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Maiko: Haaaan!
Fav. Geiko: Mojuko! ;)
Fav. Motif: Scenery; LL sizes!
I use the bottom three drawers of my tall armoire/dresser - the lowest drawer for the obi and heavy stuff, the second one up for the kimono (though it's too full now and my yukata are banished to a closet shelf until I can get a better system) and the third drawer for everything else, like the obi ita, himo, etc. :P

I do need to get those large Rubbermaid/Tupperware tubs, though. (I already have two in another closet for the kimono items that don't fit me right now...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:01 pm 
Tayuu
Tayuu

Fav. Maiko: Umehisa, Mameharu, both Ayano
Fav. Geiko: Kotoha, Fukuyû, Ichiraku
Fav. Motif: Tsuta, Kiku leaves, Same
I have a large shelved cupboard. I put my kimono in two piles ("komon&yukata", and "others"on the highest one, with the shoe boxes full of obiage and obijime above them, and the pairs of zori and geta between the piles. The second one has three piles of obi: not-seasonal, seasonal, out-of-seasonal, and I put my three juban above them (the too-itchy one, the too-short one, and the too-narrow one :unsure:.) I lack space for the accessories.

Side note: I would avoid lavender sachets. The perfume in lavender comes from the essential oils, and I'd be wary of staining my kimono.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:15 pm 

Haha, how things change! I was about to post in this thread when I realized.. I had posted in this thread!

The tub eventually got too small to hold my ridiculously multiplying collection, and is now being used for sheet storage. I've taken over a big wooden armoire that was my grandmother's but my mother stole for china storage. I in turn stole it for kimono storage!

I've also found these amazing flat boxes from Ikea that are perfect
for storing obiage, obijime, himo, tabi, etc.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/30119644

They're divided into little compartments, some are about 4*4" and some are 4*8" I think? I can take photos of mine if anyone's curious, but they're awesome for storing little things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:45 pm 
Minarai-san
Minarai-san

Mine are in tatoushi paper and in storage boxes.
This one is metal:Image

Tatoushi in the metal storage box.

In the oshi ire closet: modern plastic kimono storage boxes (red, opaque) and a kiri tansu (wooden drawer cabinet) on the left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:44 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

I fold all my kimono and obi properly, but I have lots and lots of industrial crates (plastic with flip-tops) for the kimono I'm not wearing currently, since I tend to cycle them seasonally or by personal whim.

The ones I am wearing are either in one of the two kimono tansu cabinets, or flung over a kimono rack, or (haori) in a special room divider with compartments just sized right for folded haori jackets. Oh yeah, I also put folded obi in one of the display tansu compartments that doesn't have glass. And the really, really special Meiji-era ones are in paper kimono wrappers in the cedar chest. (Kimono and Japanese obsessed? Me? Why do you ask?)  :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:36 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Geiko: Komomo, Kimika
Fav. Motif: waves, leaves, ume, rope...
I fold my kimono in tatoshi papers and store them with kitsuke items in the drawers of my "ikea tansu" (Magiker, not available anymore, otherwise I'd buy another one!)
I use lavender sachets too, I made them with cotton fabric and natural dried lavender (oil free, easy to find here in Provence). I highly recommend natural lavender, because it keeps the insects away and also because it smells good and fresh: I don't like the way kimono smell when they arrive in the mail so I hang them, air them well and store them with lavender...  :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:51 pm 
Tayuu
Tayuu

Fav. Maiko: Umehisa, Mameharu, both Ayano
Fav. Geiko: Kotoha, Fukuyû, Ichiraku
Fav. Motif: Tsuta, Kiku leaves, Same
Dried lavender does contain essential oil, but if your kimono haven't the slightest stain, then the risk is very low.

I personally love the famous "eau-de-tansu" smell, as opposed to the musty smell I sometimes have had. I'm even considering making sachets with paulownia chips to keep the smell, if I could get my hands on some.

Actually, I even store some yofuku items among the kimono, just to get them impregnated. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:39 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Geiko: Komomo, Kimika
Fav. Motif: waves, leaves, ume, rope...
Oh I thought you meant essential oil was added to the lavender to make it smell stronger... that could stain, yes! But natural dried lavender as been used for ages here in Provence, on clothes in drawers and closets, it is a traditional thing, it does not leave stains. I wouldn't try to put it directly on the silk though...!

By the way, where does the "eau-de-tansu" smell come from?  :???:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:44 am 

I'm guessing she's referring to the scent of the pawlownia wood that probably imbues the garments?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:49 pm 
First Mate Boobie-san (Mod)
First Mate Boobie-san (Mod)

Fav. Motif: apples, tsujigahana
I've created a mega-thread for kimono storage. Please continue discussion of storage here.  Thank you!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ] 

Search for:
Jump to: