Login * Member Blogs
FAQ *
   Search *
Member Stores
View unanswered posts
View active topics ::

IMPORTANT!

As of the 31st of August, 2014 the Immortal Geisha forums has ceased accepting membership requests and become read only. To read further about this, please visit this thread:

http://immortalgeisha.com/ig_bb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22347

Never fear, though! Immortal Geisha has moved over to Facebook! You can now find us all over here:
Facebook: Immortal Geisha - A Kimono, Kitsuke and Geisha Group

Many deep and profound thanks to everyone who participated and supported the forums over the years. 12 years is a great run for a message board, and here's to continuing the years over on Facebook!

All times are UTC [ DST ]

What should I wear?
Go by season - wear one of your sha with the ro tsuzumi obi. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Go by season - wear the pink hitoe. 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Go by formality - wear the kurotomesode. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Go by formality - wear the burgandy tsukesage with ume/nightingale. 35%  35%  [ 11 ]
Go by formality - wear the indigo/purple tsukesage with spools. 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
Go by formality - wear the indigo kimono with birds. 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Go by formality - wear the purple and brown furisode. 23%  23%  [ 7 ]
Go by formality - wear the yellow furisode. 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
I don't like any of them (suggestions?) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 31
 Post subject: Urgent help! Formal Taiko Reception - Opinion on kimono type
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:05 am 
Captain Okamisan (owner)
Captain Okamisan (owner)

Fav. Maiko: Momotaro
Fav. Geiko: Tome
Fav. Motif: Uguisu
Well, this Saturday night I have a formal dinner for our 40th year anniversary for Taiko Dojo.  I have to wear kimono (at the request of Sensei) and there will be VIP guests from Japan over.  

I'm torn between what to wear.

Problems:

1. It's been quite warm through the day lately - certainly warm enough to wear hitoe.  The dinner is in the evening though, and it gets quite cold in San Francisco at night.

2. I have NO formal hitoe at all.  All my hitoe are komon, namely, striped komon:

IF however, I chose to wear one of my sha kimono - I'd wear this obi with it:

I also have this hitoe kimono:

3. My most formal kimono are awase and out of this current season:

- Kurotomesode with pine scene.

- Burgandy Tsukesage with ume and nightingale.

- Indigo (almost purple) Tsukesage (houmongi?) with all season spool pattern.

- Indigo blue bird kimono.

- Purple & brown furisode with sakura (that look a little like ume), butterflies and autumn grasses.

- Bright yellow furisode with red outlined maple leaves, ume and stream pattern.

So, what do I wear?!?

Should season be more important than formality?

Or formality more important than season?

At this point - I'm thinking formality is probably more important....and that the most appropriate "formal" piece may be the brown furisode (just for the wow, showing me off factor).  Sensei and his friends will likely all be wearing their formal kimono - and I doubt it will be Summer weight fabric.

I'd really appreciate some opinions on this - I have to pack tomorrow night!  Argh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:33 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Motif: Asahona, Ume
Immortal Geisha, I'm happy to help but I don't how how accurate or good my advice will be, but here it goes:

I vote for the Indigo/purple Tsukesage/houmongi (I think it's houmongi) with all season spool pattern.

Here are my reasons:

You won't be out of season pattern wise, and if it's really that cold at night, I'm sure no one will mind that you wore awase to keep yourself warm.  You said yourself your sensei and others mostly likely won't be wearing summer fabric either.

It's formal (especially with the longer than normal sleeves), and from what you say this is a pretty formal event.  I'm not sure it's formal enough for a fursiode though (though I agree with the wow factor, I think this kimono also has its own wow factor).  And I'm not big on going out of season pattern-wise.

Wearing the taiko pink nagoya obi would also look cute with this kimono, though I'm not sure if the patterns work together (I'm still working on learning pattern matching...)

Also, the color is lively and fun, so is the pattern.  The liveliness of the color makes this kimono bold and stand out a lot.  Especially from some of your other selections.  Given the happy occasion for which you are dressing I think it would be a good match.  

I hope the ramblings of a novice are of some help!

Best of luck and I hope you have lots of fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:42 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

I think the brown furisode too... You have a slight mix of season motifs, so it's not like you'll be wearing something that should ONLY be worn in one month... and it's no fun being chilly all evening!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:49 am 
Onesan
Onesan

Fav. Motif: bamboo, yabane, ivy, tachibana
I'd be tempted to go for one of the furisodes, and I think the brown is more adult/formal. Also, it's beautiful!

The burgundy tsukesage also has a dressy feel to it - I think because of the sheen - and would look good for an evening 'do.

Edit: tempting to wear the taiko obi though :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:59 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Geiko: Komako in Snow Country
Fav. Motif: Sakura
I think formality is more important than season in this case, but do wear something you won’t be uncomfortably too hot or too cold in. A homongi, tsukesage, or tomesode would be best. I think your komon “I also have this hitoe kimonoâ€Â

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:51 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: kaioke, bamboo, asagao, mums,
[quote="Auberginefleur"]I think your komon “I also have this hitoe kimonoâ€Â

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:54 pm 
Captain Okamisan (owner)
Captain Okamisan (owner)

U no Hana wrote:
I was strongly advised about not wearing kurotomesode except in the right occasion (weddings). She told me it was better to wear an elegant komon (necessary silk, and preferable subdued colour/pattern) with fukuro obi than kurotomesode. She said: "the first option maybe it's not completely right, but the kurotomesode is completely wrong". I was so scared that I've never tried to wear one, although I love them!  :(

Just a quick post as I'm on my way to work - but I have to agree with this statement.  Arian wants me to wear my kurotomesode - but I told him that wearing it would be rather pretentious of me!  That it is TOO formal!

Thinking about the pink hitoe....I do have these obi  (I don't have any fancy summer weight obi other than my tsuzumi obi):

It's a lot closer to white, not the cream the photo shows it.

Yellow Obi Yellow Obi Back
This is actually a nagoya obi, believe it or not and is a great yellow - very similar in colour to the medallions on the pink.

Another one of my fancy obi is:
This is actually a closer pink to my ro tsuzumi obi - just shinier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:14 pm 
First Mate Shiba-san (Mod)
First Mate Shiba-san (Mod)

Fav. Geiko: Naosuzu, Fumiyu & Miehina!
Fav. Motif: dog
I'm just such a big fan of your burgundy tsukesage, I think you should wear that. You look so sharp in it, and I'd be tempted to ignore the seasonal issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:31 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

I would go with the off-white obi. It looks like a fukuro obi. Perfect.

Your pink hitoe is not ro, right? In that case, this obi should be fine, and would be a perfect match for May and early June (according to kimono seasonal rules), so it is just a tiny bit late for the season.

But then again, the nagoya obi is more in keeping with your personal style, and your teacher might be disappointed if you look too ordinary, unlike your usual self.

Wear the one you want. No one can best you for inspirational coordinating. Its your trademark.

ps. How does your hair look, if you just put up the back loosely and leave the bangs down?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:27 pm 
Captain Okamisan (owner)
Captain Okamisan (owner)

Auberginefleur wrote:
ps. How does your hair look, if you just put up the back loosely and leave the bangs down?

When I pull my hair back, and also pin my hime locks back - my hair looks a lot like Audrey Hepburn:

Unfortunately though, I don't have her awesome eyebrows :(

Quote:
But then again, the nagoya obi is more in keeping with your personal style, and your teacher might be disappointed if you look too ordinary, unlike your usual self.

It's funny you say this - because my Sensei often points out how he likes my outfits are better than someone else's in Japantown (like people obviously dressed for tea ceremony) - "Nao-chan - your outfit much, much nicer!  Her's - boring, very boring!"  :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:30 pm 
Little Taiko Boy
Little Taiko Boy

Immortal Geisha wrote:
Auberginefleur wrote:

When I pull my hair back, and also pin my hime locks back - my hair looks a lot like Audrey Hepburn:

Allow me to interject a RAWR into this thread. Kthx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:47 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Why not do the Audrey Hepburn thing for this event.

I often have my hair cut in that (Audrey Hepburn) exact style, by taking in that very photo (oops not the same photo) to the hairdressers. I have amazingly curly/frizzy hair, and that is the only way I can cope with it in the rainy season. It is either have it cut, or tear it out (and that hurts).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:59 pm 
Onesan
Onesan

I'm tempted to say the brown/purple furisode, because how often does one go to an event that allows for it?! I mean...it's SO Pretty, and I've noticed that japanese people love to see foreigners in furisode, even if they're technically too old, or the occasion isn't perfect, or whatever.

then again, I do tend to "overdress"...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:55 pm 
First Mate Ika-san (Admin)
First Mate Ika-san (Admin)

Fav. Maiko: Chicken maiko!
Fav. Geiko: Mao, Mameyoshi
Fav. Motif: Squid, tachibana, Tokaido
Geimyo: Tsukinohana - 月の花
I'd love to see someone do that brown furisode justice. ;P But I also think your burgundy tsukesage with the nightingales is so gorgeous, and possibly a bit more comfortable to wear and enjoy the event in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:11 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Immortal Geisha wrote:
It's funny you say this - because my Sensei often points out how he likes my outfits are better than someone else's in Japantown (like people obviously dressed for tea ceremony) - "Nao-chan - your outfit much, much nicer!  Her's - boring, very boring!"  :oops:

Hmm, you must not deceive your Sensei!  :)

I will try to say something not very useless  :P  
- Considering the pink hitoe kimono: the white-off obi is wonderful, but maybe the outfit will be too boring for you (unless you do one of your "extreme styling" with haneri, obijime & obiage).One of the nagoya obi will be better.
- Considering formal awase: the burgundy tsukesage is the kimono all of us dream about. I really love it, and it won't be my choice only because being too hot makes me feel sick, not for stylistic questions. Very good option if you can resist the kimono heath or you can avoid having all underwear layers (I'm thinking in Takenoko's tricks: cotton undergarment with fake sleeves)
- Considering your Sensei: be Naomi and do one of your stunning Taisho outfits. I'm sure the Japanese VIPS guests will really appreciate your taste for vintage kitsuke.

edit: some Japanese kimono bloggers are wearing sha/ro now. http://blog.goo.ne.jp/kimononoki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:52 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Is it sad that my first thought was, "Buy a new one!"?  :D I may be a terrible consumer whore...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:40 pm 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Is it mean that my first thought was, "You can't dress yourself without advice?"

Or maybe it's too many years of being independent.

Trust your taste, O Most Honorable Moderator. I'm sure it'll be smashing, no matter what.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:44 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Geiko: Komomo, Kimika
Fav. Motif: waves, leaves, ume, rope...
First of all, I have to say that the stripped hitoe in the first picture is to die for...  :lovelove  you lucky girl!

Now, if i were you, I think I'd wear the burgundy tsukesage, because:

-This is a formal event, your friends will be wearing formal kimono, so you can't wear something too casual. The kurotomesode is too formal, I agree with that, it was my first though actually. Your indigo tsukesage is beautiful but it looks more casual to me than the burgundy one, probably because it is stripped. The burgundi one has a nice dressy feeling because of the shiny silk and delicate blossom... the other kimono are very nice too but look too casual to me... (I don't consider myself as an expert, though!)
-You said evenings are not too hot in California these days so i guess you won't fell uncomfortable with an awase on. Formality seems to be more important than temperature! Maybe you could wear a ro juban if you have one...
-Both furisode are awesome, really, but they have a kind of fancy look to me and I'd prefer a more "adult look" and therefore, short sleeves.
-Ume blossom is more a spring pattern but you have to make a concession, and pattern conformity is less important than formality, IMO.

In addition, I think the Hepburn haistyle would be very nice with the outfit and it would help dear Arian to overcome the deception of not seing you in kurotomesode ;) . If you want to please your sensei, I'm sure you can add more of your personnal style and sophistication to the outfit with accessories like haneri, obidome, earings... it's up to you!  :)

I hope it helped you a bit, please let us know what you finally chose... good luck!  :smil3:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:48 am 
First Mate Boobie-san (Mod)

Fav. Motif: apples, tsujigahana
I am going to be no help whatsoever, as your sense of style and taste is refined beyond mine.

I'm basing my comment solely on what your sensei said - he apparently loves *YOUR* kimono style - so I think you should stick with something distinctly "naomi" and not necessarily "formal", though I know you'd put your own twist on any of the kimono mentioned to make them "yours".

Personally, with your sense of style, I don't think you have to worry about not being 'formal' enough; I think they'll appreciate your style and your attitude, as you wear all your outfits with grace. You're not Japanese, so don't worry about trying to do what they'd do. Your sensei wants you to be who you are, or I don't think he would have asked you to wear kimono.

I think something more fun and bright is in order. It's a taiko, right? As far as I can tell, they're fun-loving people, and I think one of the drum obi would be perfect, and work with what I had to make an outfit around one of those (and saying to hell with being strict seasonally).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:33 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

All I can offer is a definite don't - don't wear the kurotomesode! It has such specific connotations in Japan that I think the guests from there will think it odd. I *have* seen kurotomesode worn for a non wedding occasion once in Japan (a British Embassy Christmas do, so fairly formal) but I think the danger is they will assume you don't know better :/

I can't remember how I voted so I may be contradictory, but I think formal over season, given that it's still getting colder. I bet in Okinawa and Hokkaido the seasonal use of kimono is quite different, no matter what the (generally Tokyo and Kyoto focussed) books and magazines say!!

Although I do like the idea of using a drum motif on the obi :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:23 am 
Captain Okamisan (owner)
Captain Okamisan (owner)

kugepoet wrote:
Is it mean that my first thought was, "You can't dress yourself without advice?"

Trust your taste, O Most Honorable Moderator. I'm sure it'll be smashing, no matter what.

It's called respecting Tanaka Sensei and trying to figure out the most appropriate outfit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:26 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

kugepoet wrote:

IG is used to wearing Taisho retro according to her own, stunning, fashion sense. She now finds herself in a position where she has to conform. Wouldn’t you panic?

I think it was nice that she thought to ask us for ideas. I am sure her final outfit will be much more imaginative than I could ever come up with myself, and I can’t wait to see the final result.

I have a number of kimonos that would work for this event, and IG has none, that just shows that while I am a traditionalist, she is an artist at kitsuke. I can see how problematic this could be for her. It goes against her very nature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:30 am 
Captain Okamisan (owner)
Captain Okamisan (owner)

Auberginefleur - Thank-you.  I'm glad you understand.  :]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:57 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Iyolin wrote:
I'm basing my comment solely on what your sensei said - he apparently loves *YOUR* kimono style - so I think you should stick with something distinctly "naomi" and not necessarily "formal", though I know you'd put your own twist on any of the kimono mentioned to make them "yours".

Whatever you do, you have to do your Naomi-thing, or your sensei will be terribly disappointed. He probably wants to show you off. So to the best of your ability working with what you own, try to pay some obeisance to the formality and season, even if not following them exactly. I do think that doing your Naomi-thing with the pink hitoe would work best for this. But perhaps you have a Taisho outfit that is semi-formal?

Otherwise, I was thinking of Meiji for this. Hairstyle-wise, I was thinking more of, how to explain? Pulling your back tight in a high pony tail, then loosening it by pulling out the band by an inch or so, then pinning it to your head, and making a bun, in sort of a Meiji/Gibson girl style, but leaving your hime bangs as they are.

U no Hana wrote:
edit: some Japanese kimono bloggers are wearing sha/ro now. http://blog.goo.ne.jp/kimononoki

Hitoe switched to sha/ro on 6/15 in Japan according to kimono rules, but IG only has stripes, and they are too informal.

If you would be willing to alter your yellow furisode, and change it to a chu-furisode, by shortening the sleeves to just below the giant momiji. I would go with that and your shiny pink and yellow stripe Nagoya obi. You are now at the age where chu-furisode are more appropriate anyhow.

Everybody else is going to be wearing houmongi, iromuji, edo komon, or fancy komon style hitoe, and in ro if they own one, but most Japanese don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:19 am 
Captain Okamisan (owner)
Captain Okamisan (owner)

Auberginefleur wrote:
Everybody else is going to be wearing houmongi, iromuji, edo komon, or fancy komon style hitoe, and in ro if they own one, but most Japanese don't.

It's highly likely I may be the only female wearing kimono...  One or two of my Sempai may wear kimono - but I'm pretty much one of the only people in dojo who knows how to wear kimono and I'm the only person in dojo who wears it frequently.

All of you have been of great help with your suggestions so far - I really appreciate it.  This is just one of those events where I can't just go all out with my regular Taisho ensembles - I need to be extremely mindful of the formality and respect my Sensei and his VIP guests - this is the first time I've had such a formal Japanese event to attend.

I have an idea for an outfit so far - I'll be sure to post about it - and photos also.  Suggestions are still welcome though - the event isn't until tomorrow!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:56 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Immortal Geisha wrote:

It's highly likely I may be the only female wearing kimono...  One or two of my Sempai may wear kimono - but I'm pretty much one of the only people in dojo who knows how to wear kimono and I'm the only person in dojo who wears it frequently.

This is kind of key information.

If there is not going to be a lot of Japanese women around in kimono, you have a lot more freedom. Men (even Japanese men) typically don’t care much, they just like to look at cute young women dressed stunningly.

I take back what I said before. Do your hair normal. You must be your normal, extraordinary Naomi-esque to do your sensei proud.

If there were Japanese women present I would caution against colored han-eri and tabi in a formal situation, but in this case I think it is up to your own personal fashion sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:53 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Hm, if you're wearing kimono in the company of people who know kimono, better to play it safe - at least with the kimono/obi - and leave the rest to your imagination. I really like the look of the burgundy tsukesage even though it's out of season, but the pink hitoe is probably a safer albeit subdued choice. You've still got tons of room for creativity with your obi and accessories and musubi and all.

I guess I'm used to dressing defensively (so others can't pick my outfit apart too much - there's a kitsuke teacher in LA I run into constantly *runs away*), but even for formal situations I think it's important to still coordinate in a way that your personal style still comes out. Otherwise, why wear kimono at all?

Quote:
Hitoe switched to sha/ro on 6/15 in Japan according to kimono rules

Really? I follow a chart from Utsukushii Kimono that says ro/sha/linen kimono start at July, but obi can switch earlier, and accessories earlier than that. Do you follow a book or school or website? I'd love to see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:50 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Kikuyu
Fav. Geiko: Hisano
Fav. Motif: Ume, and Anything Strange.
I would say- take something that reflects YOUR style and add some dressier twists to it.

I understand your issues here. The outfits that match the ocassion don't match the season. I would fall over trying to decide.

I really want to say the houmongi...just because it's so classy and beautiful. Even if it's the wrong season.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:41 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Immortal Geisha wrote:
This is just one of those events where I can't just go all out with my regular Taisho ensembles - I need to be extremely mindful of the formality and respect my Sensei and his VIP guests - this is the first time I've had such a formal Japanese event to attend.

I'm so glad to see your Japanese sense of loyalty towards your Sensei.  :) And I agree you have a big responsibility. As it's said in French:  "Noblesse oblige"

The safest seasonal/ formal option: hitoe pink komon with yellow roundels. To dress it up, I will try the white-off obi or the yellow nagoya obi. Both are wonderful and have a fukuro obi looking, and I'm sure you're able to style  them with your fancy Naomi touch to make your Sensei happy.

But I would advise you against styling with earrings. Some Japanese people hate seeing earrings with kimono, and even more in formal events. The same advise about wearing patterned tabi; colour or embroidered haneri could be ok for a not extremely formal occasion, but never coloured or patterned tabi. Sorry for pointing the most boring and conservative rules here. :oops:

(And sorry for my posts, my English is not fluent enough to translate what I'm really thinking, so I always simplify and end sounding childish and silly).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:23 pm 

Fav. Motif: apples, tsujigahana
I've been thinking about this all night, and I'm not even the one going! Additional thoughts:

There's a lot of things to take in to make the decision. I do have great confidence that whatever outfit you wear will be fabulous and very "Naomi" and still carry your personal style.

How formal is formal for the Western wear? That might help as well. Will the other ladies be in formal long gowns, or cocktail dresses, which isn't quite as fancy?  To me, if the kurotomesode is out because it's waaay too formal, part of me feels that the furisode are a bit too formal as well (they're also mostly worn just for weddings nowadays as well). However, now that you're not married, and under 30ish (with subdued more mature furisode), if you decided to wear one, I don't think you'd be "breaking all the rules", and older Japanese women love to see young people in furisode (my sensei insisted I wear one, at 25...).

Regarding the rules, I highly doubt that they'll be Sodo Kimono (or other Kimono Gakuin) teacher-strict about it. And even then, my sensei said the thing to do is learn all the rules so that you can develop your own sense of style and make kimono your own - that's the whole goal. I personally think she'd be very happy with the way you coordinate your outfits. I don't think this means throwing the "rules" out the window, but gives you a little leeway.

Also, as a guest - never outdress your guests of honor (though if you're the only woman in kimono, you'll stand out; I think your sensei's just really proud of you).

As someone else mentioned, while some obaachan might be strict (she's earned the right, because she's older), most Japanese men LOVE to see young people (women especially) in kimono (and while they can wear their own, many don't know much about women's kimono, or get as involved with the seasonality of the little motifs, because they usually don't have to worry about it all). They're always impressed, especially if it's a non-Japanese.

Agreeing about the earrings and tabi; if you must wear earrings, wear studs (as I think studs look better than earring-holes). And while I think embroidered han-eri is perfectly acceptable, I don't know if I'd go with anything not silk or stray too far from white. Date-eri, though, if you have one, would be totally acceptable and add some color.

I guess there's two ways to go about it:

Start with a not-quite-as-formal kimono (like komon) and dress it up (pearls, metallics, fancier obi, white tabi/collar, dateeri, etc), or

Start with a more formal kimono (like the burgandy tsukesage) and have more fun with it to make it not a super-strict formal.

Personally, I favor the notquitepurpleallseason houmongi/tsukesage with spools, and if it matches, one of the taiko obi. Although not necessarily super duper formal, I think tying in to the theme would be really appreciated, and as tsukesage, I think it's formal enough. Plus, it's a touch brighter, which I associate with you and your personality. I think it could handle pearls (do you have a long costume pearl necklace you could wrap with a round obijime?) and metallics (metallic obijime?).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:51 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

soprannaUSF wrote:
I understand your issues here. The outfits that match the ocassion don't match the season. I would fall over trying to decide.

Well said.

claw789 wrote:

Really? I follow a chart from Utsukushii Kimono that says ro/sha/linen kimono start at July, but obi can switch earlier, and accessories earlier than that. Do you follow a book or school or website? I'd love to see.

That is not an easy question, there is lots of information in the IG knowledge bank, and as you recognized there are many schools of thought.

The specific date of 6/15 comes from my Tea sensei, but kimono rules often, but not always, change on the 1st or the 15/16th.

If you look at back issues of Kimono Salon and Utsukusii, you will find not only are the two magazines not consistent with each other, but also over time, they have been extending the periods (for which they don’t give specific dates) for hitoe and ro with the raising temperatures in Japan.

Most of what I know comes from person experience from watching others. So in my experience, hitoe starts after mid-May, chirimen ro can be worn from the very end of May through the first couple of weeks of June, otherwise regular ro starts at June, July switches to sha and baste fibers such as hemp and linen, I am not sure when you switch back to ro perhaps mid-August, I wear ro through the first week of September and then regular hitoe through moon-viewing season, and then switch to awase in November.

You are right, obi and haori seem to switch earlier. I don’t have a lot of obi options (just basic winter or summer) so I don’t worry about it too much, but I know we are in tsuzure-ro (with woven designs not painted) for obi at the moment, and I imagine obi switch to regular ro and sha from July. I have though seen Geisha/Mama types were sha kimono already in late June (after 6/15?) in Ginza. Those whose professions require many kimono, may change their style every two weeks. Anyone a specialist on Mama-san kimono on IG?

Typical Ro Tsuzure Obi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:42 am 
Captain Okamisan (owner)
Captain Okamisan (owner)

Thank-you all SO MUCH for your understanding and help with picking the right outfit.

In the end I had narrowed it down to two kimono:

Pink hitoe

or

Taisho tsukesage with spools.

When I got to Japantown - I went to visit my friend who owns a kimono/gift shop to ask her for her advice also (she's known Sensei for years).  Looking at both of my kimono - she personally felt formality was more important than Summer and immediately picked the Taisho tsukesage.  Her reasoning was that while the stripes make it somewhat informal, having 3 crests on it raised the formality dramatically....but not too formal though, because of the stripes (haha).  I asked if she thought wearing my pink and yellow tsuzumi obi would be too obnoxious with it - and she told me absolutely not - she felt the colours complimented it perfectly.

So off to the hotel I went and dressed - threw in some turquoise accessories and visited her after I was dressed and got solid approval.  Phew.  I was really quite relieved.

http://www.immortalgeisha.com/ig_bb/vie ... 983#121983

I had a wonderful time at the reception - I got to meet the drum maker to the Emperor, who complimented me highly on my outfit, see my Sempai from my former group in Florida, meeting a kitsuke teacher who was amazed I was self taught and most importantly, Sensei was very happy to see me dressed like I was.  I think the highlight of my evening though was being trusted enough by Sensei for him to ask me to help him undress and fold his formal kimono and hakama after the reception. :)

I was one of 4 people who wore kimono out of hundreds.  One lady in particular stood out to me...she is an older lady, but wore this wonderful awase komon patterned like marbled paper.  She had her collar pulled back a little further than mine at the nape, and wore her obi criss-crossed like I do.  

Afterwards we went to our favourite shochu bar and had a lot of fun talking kimono with the hostess - she has a few of her grandmother's pieces from Taisho and early Showa - so we normally have some great kitsuke conversations :)

Once again, thank-you all so much for your help!  Now I know I at least have one fail-safe "formal" outfit for taiko events!

Search for:
Jump to: