Login * Member Blogs
FAQ *
   Search *
Member Stores
View unanswered posts
View active topics ::

IMPORTANT!

As of the 31st of August, 2014 the Immortal Geisha forums has ceased accepting membership requests and become read only. To read further about this, please visit this thread:

http://immortalgeisha.com/ig_bb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22347

Never fear, though! Immortal Geisha has moved over to Facebook! You can now find us all over here:
Facebook: Immortal Geisha - A Kimono, Kitsuke and Geisha Group

Many deep and profound thanks to everyone who participated and supported the forums over the years. 12 years is a great run for a message board, and here's to continuing the years over on Facebook!

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Kimono and Pregnancy--discussion and pictures
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:23 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

I don't think this has been asked previously, and I'm having a bit of trouble finding information.

What sort of clothing would a "traditional"  pregnant woman wear? It seems to me your average kimono would not cover her growing tummy. I would think that either extra panels would be added to pre-existing kimono, or were new, larger ones sewn for these magical months?

Does anyone know?

[title edited by bebemochi]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:36 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Oh, good question! I've been wondering that myself :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:56 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: Spiders, dragons, omodaka
I remember reading something about a flat stone or something like that tied to the front of the stomach. It had something to do with that female Empress whose name escapes me now (but I know it started with a J) doing the same thing to make herself not look pregnant as she did her campaigning. And I know I have a book stored in my boxes that talks about this, so now I'll be digging around them tomorrow to find it.
If you've ever watched The Last Emperor, there's a pregnant lady (a princess I think?) in a kimono shown a few times. It's before the scene where one of the wives starts eating flowers during a dance.
I've seen only a few pictures dealing with pregnancy, and they weren't very informative. The first one was a woodblock illustrating all the different phases of pregnancy. It was a see-through sort of deal where the clothes were out of the way and there was a little "window" into the womb to see the developing fetus. In Yoshiwara by Cecilia Seigle, there is a picture of pre-print drawings done by Utagawa Toyokuni III showing prostitutes being diagnosed and punished for pregnancy, but I don't see anything special about the kimono they are wearing. In three of the drawings, the prostitute has a piece of fabric tied under her breasts. I don't if it has something to do with the pregnancy or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 7:10 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

A kimono is really quite voluminous, I shouldn't have thought that they would need extra fabric would they?

and a looser belt would keep it all tied together...

Its a very interesting question....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:52 am 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

I have heard they would wear hakama.
But I am not sure.
It does make sense because the hakama is wider and even more adjustable than kimono (alone).
The kimono should be wide enough but when the belly gets real sticking forward the lower line of the kimono would open and not look nice, the hakama would hide that.
But again, I am not sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:14 am 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

I didn't know...(never thought about it!) so I went to look:

http://www.awara-onsen.org/wakakusa/poster.htm (One of the ladies is in her 8th month?! (the pink kimono'd lady)...

The lady in the middle row on the left is supposedly 8 months pregnant, too...it seems she is just wearing her obi a bit higher? Why is she wearing a furisode, though?
http://homepage2.nifty.com/knjobama/kimono-1.htm

Too sleepy to look for more...didn't see anything historical...but it seems you can wear your regular kimono for a while?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:32 am 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

8O She is pregnant and wearing a furisode, that looks strange indeed.

I can't find the pink pregnant lady, there are a lot of pink dressed women there. But also 8 months?!
Most western ladies have real big tummies by then.
I am sure I could not fit my sister in a kimono when she was over 5/6 months :D
I didn't see any tummies there, first link :( (did on the furisode lady :) but 8th month 8O I can't believe it!!!
Maybe Asian women stay smaller? That would be so wonderful for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:34 am 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

:oops: Wasn't that realy late for you Axia?!?!

8O :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:50 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Desu wrote:
If you've ever watched The Last Emperor, there's a pregnant lady (a princess I think?) in a kimono shown a few times. It's before the scene where one of the wives starts eating flowers during a dance.

Yes! This is what sparked my question. I saw this movie four years ago, at the very least. The pregnant Japanese women that briefly makes a camio, really stuck out (for obvious reasons, I think). Not only was she quite visibly pregnant, she was still very elegant and stately. Her kimono did not look out of the ordinary, but I have to admit, I didn't really investigate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 5:28 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Okay, I found the book.  It's called The Great Pulse: Japanese Midwifery and Obestrics through the Ages by Mary W. Standlee (1959).  One of the pictures ('50s-era) shows a midwife attending to a patient.  The description next to it says:

Quote:
Adjusting the abdominal binder.  Legend tells that the Empress Jingu, in order to delay the birth of her child so that she could subjugate Korea and return to produce her offspring on home soil, wound a stone in her girdle with a length of cloth.  From this there developed a custom whereby the pregnant women of Japan began to use abdominal binders.

Another description says this:

Quote:
Preparing for the examination.  The midwife washes her hands in a corner of the room.  In general, she is still consulted first during the late-fourth or early-fifth month, at the same time for wearing the abdominal binder.

I don't know whether or not the binder is still used today, but it would explain why the pregnant women in the links Axia posted don't look too pregnant.

Last edited by Desu on Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:59 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

right! i read somewhere*i forget where* that stated that in the past eras, women would bind thier preganant bellies :o if they still do that modern times, i know not, but that is what i read. something about "shame" or just being secrective about the preganancy. although this source could not be accurate as well. as a side note, being asian myself, i do notice that the majoirity of asain women(at least that i know of) have smaller bumps/babies, so it could be easier to hide/bind in a kimono. also pregnancy is not as celebrated or kept more "on the down-low" than that of western cultures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 7:16 pm 
Captain Okamisan (owner)
Captain Okamisan (owner)

Fav. Maiko: Momotaro
Fav. Geiko: Tome
Fav. Motif: Uguisu
Here is a picture that I saved quite some time ago:

It looks like the lady in the middle is pregnant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:02 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

my japanese friend says that they wear the same kind of kimono but the obi is tied in a certain way

for around the house: so that there is a "v" shape under their stomach

and in public they wear a narrow obi which goes below the stomach and tied up high in the back

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:39 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Very interesting question!! O.o

I know for Korea, it doesn't matter, because the Hanbok makes you look pregnant when you wear it anyways. :P So its something very flattering to wear. :P hehe. I've contemplated wearing mine if I ever do get pregnant. :)

--Emi-chan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:01 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Wakana
GOOD QUESTION!!! I wondered that a while ago, but forgot (as I tend to do)... One additive: Do geisha continue to go to banquets and classes during pregnancy?? (Probably a yes, but I'm curious if anything changes work wise)

Post subject: pregnancy
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:06 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

how can a pregnant woman wear kimono?

[another thread about the same topic merged at this point by bebemochi]

should ever be forgot!
http://world2.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=31106780

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:55 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Toshiteru
Fav. Geiko: Kotoha
Fav. Motif: Chidori
Oh, that I have been wondering about too.
I can't remember that I have ever seen pregnant women wearing kimono ...
But I guess there must be a way, as in old times everyone was wearing kimono - so as pregnant women too.
Does anyone know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:07 pm 
First Mate Shiba-san (Mod)
First Mate Shiba-san (Mod)

Fav. Geiko: Naosuzu, Fumiyu & Miehina!
Fav. Motif: dog
I would assume their kimonos are big enough to wrap around their bellies. Japanese women are smaller than western women. I do know there is a special kimono attachment for carrying a new born baby. They are really quite beautiful. If I come across a photo of one I'll post it here. Unfortunately, I don't know what they are called.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:24 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

shigatsuhana
The "thing" for carrying babies I have seen too sometime.
As you said, I also think they look really beautiful.
But I wonder is how the obi is tied during pregnancy ...  :?

Post subject: Re: pregnancy
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:58 pm 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Nemesis wrote:
how can a pregnant woman wear kimono?

More loosely.  :D

You have to remember that before kimono evolved into "special occasion" clothing, everyone lived in them. Kimono that fit a person correctly (a) have extra space lengthwise that gets folded up beneath the obi and (b) widthwise because it should wrap about to your opposite hip. That gives a fair amount of growth space to a pregnancy belly.

As for the obi, men of prosperous build tend to sling theirs below the belly. I suspect that for more casual daily wear, that the obi would "head south" on a pregnant woman, but I'm not sure.

I did find a brief reference while trying to search this to the "open mouth clam" musubi for pregnant women, but I haven't had any luck finding more. Yet....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:31 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

http://www.immortalgeisha.com/ig_bb/vie ... php?t=1061

There's some information here about pregnancy and kimono.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:57 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

How strange... that very question popped into my head just last night...   :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:12 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Desu Quite interesting. Thank you.  :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:45 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

I've been wondering for quite some time! I've never seen women pregnant in ukiyoe either.  :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:01 pm 
Kamuro
Kamuro

Fav. Motif: ume
I've seen pregnant women in public bath house scenes in woodblock prints, they wear a cloth sash around their torsos. But that doesn't help with the clothes :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:14 am 
First Mate Boobie-san (Mod)

Fav. Motif: apples, tsujigahana
I asked my sensei this once, and then totally forgot.

I think they tie the obi above the belly, under the chest. If it were tied below, I think it would push on the bladder and getting the kimono to sit closed crossed properly would be difficult, the ohashori would be way too low (if they do one), and going to the bathroom with such a low obi would be annoying.

If it's tied above the belly, it won't fall down at all and it would keep the collars crossed nicely, whereas I think one that's tied below would have a greater chance of falling down. I've not been pregnant, but I heard that at some point the baby "drops" and then sits lower in the stomach/abdomen. This would free up space above the belly to tie an obi.

I've seen some pretty big pregnant Japanese women, but I think on average most are smaller.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:25 am 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Suzuha
Fav. Geiko: Komomo
Geimyo: Matsuko
This was asked befor on IG. We had a long thred on it .It was deleated when the forums wher closed. Not that it materd It was never ansed.  

I did ask Lisa Dalby about it. She said that its is tyed on top of the belly when  you go out. when you are at home you where it like a mans obi under the belly for support. She said thats what she didi when she was prgnet and it was vary comfy.  However traditionly after the 5th month you onl wher it under and you don't leav the house.
Dr.B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:14 am 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Thanks, B, I wasn't sure, but the underslung obi seemed to make sense.

I just found this. It describes (with diagrams) how to wrap a maternity obi when one hits the 5 month mark. If I'm reading the translation correctly, the custom is to start wearing it on that month's Day of the Dog. It is also done to keep the belly warm, prevent back pain and support the growing baby's weight from dropping too soon. I'm not 100% sure, but I think this belly band goes on under one's clothes. (I ran it through Google Translate):
http://www.geocities.jp/nakansuzu/maternity02-01.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:44 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: Bird motif
there is a special obi call hara obi 腹帯 for pregnant woman.
The legend said that the first was worne by imperatrice Jingû 神宮 when she had to go on war  :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:45 pm 

I ran the page provided by kugepoet thru a translator on Jim Breens, and it mentions that the reason you do it on the 5th month's "Day of the Dog" is because dogs have lots of puppies easily and usually without issue, so it's to hope you have an easy labor.

You're also supposed to visit the shrine on that day, but if your condition is bad, it's ok to choose another day since lots of pregnant ladies will also be going on that day so it's rather busy.

I also think it appears that that obi is worn under the clothing, and isn't an obi to wear with kimono. Searching google, they also make them as a single elastic piece so that you don't have to wrap it around and around. Seems to be more common than the long sash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:19 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: everything sea-related
is this woman supposed to be pregnant?  it looks like she is, but it's difficult to tell since it's such a small photo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:31 pm 
Minarai-san
Minarai-san

It looks to me like she may be posing as a man for Nihonbuya/Japanese dance. The stance she's in looks very masculine to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:54 pm 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

I literally signed on today to post a question about this, after having wondered about it for quite awhile.  :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:16 pm 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

http://www.immortalgeisha.com/ig_bb/vie ... php?t=1061

Hear is the origanal thred that I thought was deleted.
Dr.B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:00 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

In the movie "the last emperor", there is a short scene where an ambassador from Japan is visiting, and his wife is wearing a pink komon while pregnant. :) tis interesting..her obi was tied above the belly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:19 am 

ikisavvy wrote:
is this woman supposed to be pregnant?  it looks like she is, but it's difficult to tell since it's such a small photo

I'm going to agree with LtDead on this one and say it's for dance. She is wearing a solid-color kimono similar in hue to the one my sensei wore when she was doing a man's dance, but dressed in women's kimono. Her obi is tied lower and there's a specific knot for the back, but I can't remember what it is off the top of my head.  And the pose, too, is very masculine.

EDIT:
To add to this, I searched a little in Japanese and found this on a kimono forum...
http://forum.nifty.com/fkimono/qa/log/0846.htm

The first post says (to the best of my ability):
Hello, pleased to make your acquaintance.
Two days from now, I most certainly want to wear kimono to a party, but the truth is, I'm now 5 months pregnant and it's a little conspicuous.
When pregnant women wear kimono, there are certainly important points and compensations to be aware of, aren't there?
Please teach me.
At "The Egg Club" a model who is 9 months pregnant wore furisode, and people a long time ago wore kimono in their last month of pregnancy so I thought it'd be ok...

The Answer:
(the first lines have me a little confused, anyone help?)
The himo is not tied and is worn a bit loosely. This cannot help but give a loose appearance.
Make sure your collar is matched nicely (I assume that more collar would show, then? with a round belly?).
A haori will (make your belly) be less conspicuous.
Shibori haori are in vogue and Nagaha weave is excellent as well (I assume to attract attention away from the stomach).

EDIT2:
This woman's diary has a pic of her pregnant in kimono.
http://plaza.rakuten.co.jp/sweetkuzira/diary/?ctgy=2

Photo only: http://image.space.rakuten.co.jp/lg01/8 ... zj3pc.jpeg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:45 pm 
Jimae Geiko
Jimae Geiko

Just to add my two cents, when one of my tea ceremony classmates was pregnant, she wore her kimono as y'all have described--with her obi worn high over her belly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:47 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: momiji
Wow...this thought never crossed my mind.... :oops:  How interesting!

http://halflingsera.deviantart.com
http://sarahdraws.com

Ookini!  =^.^=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:19 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Quote:
http://image.space.rakuten.co.jp/lg01/83/0000021183/01/imged48acda4zj3pc.jpeg

this picture seems so incredibbly cute :lovelove  :lovelove  :lovelove  :lovelove  :lovelove  :lovelove  :lovelove

should ever be forgot!
http://world2.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=31106780

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:29 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

luckily to learn this topic, i have 2 girls in my odori class that are pregnant.. what weird luck for this topic O_o
One of them wears her obi higher, over her belly, and the other actually wears it lower than her belly (and on occasion higher). So i guess really its personal preference, and how you feel that day.. Mind you tho both of these girls are tiny (no taller than 5'5) and 4-5 months into their pregnancy and neither of them look like they're pregnant.
I'll try to get some shots of them in kimono when i can =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:22 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

here we go. I said that i'd post a pic of one of the dancers that is pregnant right now.
Shes the girl in the back row standig beside the man. Shes 6 months. She hardly looks pregnnt, but she was so cute! ^o^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:50 am 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Nakama Yukie in "Komyou ga Tsuji" as Chiyo, while being pregnant with Yone:

In comparison:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:37 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: everything sea-related
great pictures!  :)  thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:21 am 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

thanks a bunch  ever one that osted pics it nice how the obti was worn.
Dr.B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:26 am 

AHA! That explains why she (Chiyo) was dressed more like a man in some of the promo images I've seen (not  currently watching the series, but did see a little museum dedicated to the show at the castle when I visited it (the one in Kochi, IIRC - I did too much quick travel that I can't remember everything)).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:28 am 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Iyolin wrote:
AHA! That explains why she (Chiyo) was dressed more like a man in some of the promo images I've seen (not  currently watching the series, but did see a little museum dedicated to the show at the castle when I visited it (the one in Kochi, IIRC - I did too much quick travel that I can't remember everything)).

There are a couple of scenes where Chiyo is riding a horse, so she has to run around in hakama :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:30 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Just came along this picture and remembered that we were talking about it while ago.
So, I am posting it, in case someone is still interested in this topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:28 pm 
Jimae Geiko
Jimae Geiko

Thank you, sumire! That is just the sort of picture we probably all wanted to see. I imagine this clears it up for a lot of us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:48 pm 

Wow, nice find!

That looks so... odd! It's definitely not that common these days (I think most kimono wearers move on to yofuku instead), but it's really nice to see how it's done!

...I thought we had another thread on pregnancy. Not sure why I'm thinking that, though. *goes off to search*

Ahah, here it is:
http://www.immortalgeisha.com/ig_bb/vie ... t=pregnant

I thought I had replied in a thread about pregnancy and kimono wearing, but didn't see any of my replies, so I figured there had to be another.

To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. - Joseph Chilton Pearce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:52 pm 
Jimae Geiko
Jimae Geiko

Re the picture posted by Immortal Geisha, I have two postcards cards of the same group of women -

Unfortunately, the other pregnant (?) lady wearing the michiyuki isn't in these.  But after seeing photo posted by sumire, I wondered about the second woman from the left in the second postcard? Maybe its just the pose.

I've often wondered who they were and look out for them on other cards from time to time, but so far these are the only two I have.  The first photo must have been taken only moments apart from the one posted first in this topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:56 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

I don't know about pregnancy outerwear, but I do know of obiiwai - 帯ç¥Â

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:11 am 

Claw789, do you think the obiiwai is the same as the ceremony for hoping to have a good birth?

From the other thread, from this page (http://www.geocities.jp/nakansuzu/maternity02-01.html):
Quote:
I ran the page provided by kugepoet thru a translator on Jim Breens, and it mentions that the reason you do it on the 5th month's "Day of the Dog" is because dogs have lots of puppies easily and usually without issue, so it's to hope you have an easy labor.

You're also supposed to visit the shrine on that day, but if your condition is bad, it's ok to choose another day since lots of pregnant ladies will also be going on that day so it's rather busy.

I didn't know of Iroha, but it's only Japanese, is that correct? Jim Breen's will come in handy.

To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. - Joseph Chilton Pearce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:31 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

I can't remember the original site this illustration came from, but I think it illustrates the point better than words.

Post subject: Enjoy kimono also when pregnant (Nimpu mo raku ni kimono)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:00 am 
Minarai-san
Minarai-san

Don't give up kimono because of a belly - more instructions here

Last edited by Hanami on Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:16 am 
Jimae Geiko
Jimae Geiko

I decided to merge all the threads about pregnancy and kimono into one thread. There were two major threads about it before Hanami's, post, so I figured there was no reason they shouldn't all be merged.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:24 am 
Misedashi
Misedashi

Lovely!

I love it, because the silhouettes (ignoring the bellies) and kitsuke strike me as being very Edo.

Judging by earlier comments from the older thread, it looks like kimono hobbyists might have it made, for maternity wear!  Why buy new clothes that you can't wear later, when you've got a whole closet full of garments that can already fit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:34 pm 

What a wonderful find, Hanami! Thank you very much for sharing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:08 pm 
Onesan
Onesan

those are some great pictures- now I just have to be small and asian...haha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:43 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: kaioke, bamboo, asagao, mums,
They wear not only yukata but more formal ensembles:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:18 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Is it just me, or is that a young pregnant maiko in the photo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:55 pm 
Onesan
Onesan

Are you referring to U no Hana's photo? That one won't come up for me. I can't see it at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:53 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Sorry! But it's happening something strange... I've seen that picture didn't work but when I have edited my post to try again I've seen the pic clearly. I can't understand what's happening, but if you can't see it try here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:43 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

hrm.. getting a forbidden error on the picture link.  maybe the site has disabled hotlinking to their pictures?

Mieka

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:02 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Here's the picture linked from my photobucket:
Hopefully it'll work now.  I couldn't see it in the post or with the link for some reason, but when I hit quote on U no Hana's post and copied/pasted the url it worked for me.

Post subject: Pregnant kitsuke - some points
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:14 am 
Minarai-san
Minarai-san

1) The first thing to do is to tie the himo around the "waist", that is, below the belly.
2) The elastic type, either an elastic himo or an elastic datejime might be more comfortable than the normal himo.
3) To pad the front of the hip and also in order to make tightening the hip (waist) himo, use a folded / rolled up towel and fasten with the himo (as you would do to pad the small of your back, for example). Don't ask me how to sit when the belly alone gets in the way :???:
4) Adjust / raise /pull out the migoro part starting at erimoto (front of collar) and pin it down with a himo for the kimono to stay in shape. This is to fir the belly)
5) Don't tie the himo too tightly, nor the obi.
6) Tie the lower edge of the obi more tightly than the upper edge to give some additional supprt to the growing belly.
7) Ask a friend to help you (or a pro, if available).
8 ) Consider using an obi aid to make adjusting easier, or a tsuke obi. Also a heko obi tied in different ways, e.g. under the normal hanhaba obi and the bow tied in the front might be an option. Be creative - at least the Japanese seem to be, according to all the images in this thread.
9) Take into account that two-"tooth" geta are not the easiest nor safest - think of your balance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:56 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Yay! I can see it now! But, I definetly don't think it's a maiko... she's wearing short sleeves, for one, and looks too old... but then, I'm not familiar with each maiko's face, and almost all of them look older without makeup...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:20 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Thanks, Kaede!  :kawaii:

I think she is not a maiko, although I don't know if she was a maiko before. She is holding a kimono blog since 2006 and I've seen pics of her in other kimono blogs from Kyoto.
Her blog, although lately she isn't posting... maybe the baby is born. :smil3:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:32 pm 
Captain Okamisan (owner)
Captain Okamisan (owner)

Fav. Maiko: Momotaro
Fav. Geiko: Tome
Fav. Motif: Uguisu
Just posting the link to Sakura's pregnant kitsuke photographs.

http://www.immortalgeisha.com/ig_bb/vie ... p?p=113722

Post subject: Kimono in pregnancy?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:00 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Posting this here rather than in the kitsuke specific areas as it's really just an enquiry rather than anything more.

Is it possible to wear kimono during pregnancy?
I'd assume it would be, otherwise what would japanese women have done for so many years? but given the binding effect of the obi I can't help but feel it would be highly uncomfortable or even dangerous.

I'm currently five months pregnant and have never yet got my hands on a kimono (let alone all the other bits you need) but long to buy and wear one.
I can't help feeling though that this is precisely the wrong time to try.
I suppose, if all else fails, I can always try imitating the heian style, after all they say it's good to wear a lot of layers in pregnancy:)

Incidentally according to my scans the offspring will be female: guess who's already making plans for shichi-go-san?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:17 pm 
Onesan
Onesan

Fav. Maiko: Fukuho
Fav. Geiko: Mamesuzu
Fav. Motif: Ume
This has been covered before:
http://www.immortalgeisha.com/ig_bb/vie ... aca569573d
http://www.immortalgeisha.com/ig_bb/vie ... 222d09f11c

I searched Pregnant and the Pregnancy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:07 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

the first of those is nice, shows it can be done at least.

What I really wanted to know about though was the safety angle: I'm completely new to kitsuke, have never done it before and don't know how safe it would be experimenting on my new baby-in body (from the point of view of squishing said infant) I can see in the photograph that sakura (silly coincidence!) has her obi tied above the bump, which I assume makes it safe and comfortable but I don't know that I'd be able to manage that, or how comfortable I'd be even with the higher obi.

What I really want is some opinions on the safety issue, or any random advice people can proffer, particularly as to whether I should, as I suspect, wait till post-baby to try it.

As a guide both bosom and tummy are huge and don't exactly like being confined at the moment, this would make getting an obi into place difficult (I assume).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:08 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

I should I think apologise for the phrasing of my initial post: "Is it possible" ought really have been "would it be possible for me" rather than a more general sounding query.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:41 pm 
Jimae Geiko
Jimae Geiko

I don't have time right this minute, but I'm gonna go through and merge all these pregnancy threads soonish.

Search for:
Jump to: