Login * Member Blogs
FAQ *
   Search *
Member Stores
View unanswered posts
View active topics ::

IMPORTANT!

IMPORTANT NOTE: While email addresses are protected and hidden from view to both members and guest, if you have recently received unsolicited email contact from any member or former member, please forward it to us. Click to read more.

Becoming a member of the IG community is as simple as registering. To register, please click on "Login", and then "Register". Please note, registrations are activated manually by a moderator, so there may be a tiny delay in signing up and account activation. Registered, but having trouble with login? Please read this thread.

Members new and old, it's always a good time to re-acquaint yourself with the rules. New members, unsure about where to post stuff, or overwhelmed by the number of forums? Please check out the useful thread index.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Has anyone tried using Murray's hair wax?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:51 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Motif: sakura petals
I'm looking into styling a wig a la Kiku (viewtopic.php?f=59&t=15212)
and I'm wondering if anyone has used this (http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/murray ... 07-product)
I'm hoping that
1) it worked :kawaii:
2) it smelled good, becuase the smell of most hair gels and sprays are just plain nasty. :x
.....and
3) it might be a touch more historic/true to the pros, but that's icing. :coy:

I'm probably going to do it even if no one's tried it. (the wig in question was $5 at a flea market, so wash it in kill-all-the-bugs stuff and I'm still not spending as much as i would, plus it was still in it's box, so it's really not nessary. )

i'll report back on this thread if anyone's intrested.

Post subject: Re: Has anyone tried using Murray's hair wax?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:41 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: Momiji, oshidori, ichimatsu
I've used it before- on my hair. It's probably not the best choice for a wig. First off, it melts if it gets hot. Like I've had it it start melting while I was dancing. Second off, there is a fairly strong smell of beeswax and I dunno how to describe it- wig store? I assume its the dye that makes it black. I've had better luck maintaining some extreme hairstyles with hair putty and good old fashioned Aquanet.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:19 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

To be truthful, I was kinda hoping it would smell like beeswax, but it sounds like it's too weak for my wig. Damn. :ermum
Have you hread of any hair putties that don't smell too bad? Natural smells would be better.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:17 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: Momiji, oshidori, ichimatsu
I'm not sure I can recommend a hair putty for using on a synthetic wig. Right now I'm using L'oreal Studio, but it is definitely a flexible hold, I still need the set the style with spray. Also it definitely has a floral scent.

When I am working on a new style I usually watch some youtube tutorials then set up all the stuff I have on a counter and play around until I find something that works. I usually have to wash stuff out of my hair at least twice before I get to a point that I like. That's not really an option with a wig. :(

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Maybe you could ask at a wig shop/beauty supply store what products are ok for styling synthetics.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:22 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

You can wash and detangle a wig, you just need to know how. I've scored some wigs because I'm willing to put the work in, it takes from an hour to three and some non oil based spray on detangler...and some upper arm muscle. Washing's just swishing around in the tub or sink with some dish soap, but I'm not 100 on the dish soap. Shampoo or woollite might be better...and I'm WAY off topic, aren't I? :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:33 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Do you think I could make my own? I was thinking of combing hot wax in a la memoirs, but then I rembered my wig was synthic. :oops: so now I'm considering making a really thick balm, instead of one part beeswax to two oil, two parts or more wax to a bit of oil to make it pliable. Anyone tried that?

Search for:
Jump to: