Login * Member Blogs
FAQ *
   Search *
Member Stores
View unanswered posts
View active topics ::

IMPORTANT!

IMPORTANT NOTE: While email addresses are protected and hidden from view to both members and guest, if you have recently received unsolicited email contact from any member or former member, please forward it to us. Click to read more.

Becoming a member of the IG community is as simple as registering. To register, please click on "Login", and then "Register". Please note, registrations are activated manually by a moderator, so there may be a tiny delay in signing up and account activation. Registered, but having trouble with login? Please read this thread.

Members new and old, it's always a good time to re-acquaint yourself with the rules. New members, unsure about where to post stuff, or overwhelmed by the number of forums? Please check out the useful thread index.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Mega-Thread: Kimono/wafuku & Komono Storage
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:45 pm 
First Mate Boobie-san (Mod)

Fav. Motif: apples, tsujigahana
This thread is for all storage suggestions, solutions and comments. It has been condensed from many storage threads in the forums (most of which are now locked - but not deleted, so that the information and pictures remain for those interested) so that the information is all in one place and easier to find. If you've got other solutions or suggestions, just let us know, and I or another mod can edit the list below.

Storage solutions/suggestions:

Tatoushi
Tatoushi are made from rice paper and are used for wrapping kimono. You will commonly see this spelled "tatoshi". They often have a small clear window in the front and ties to help keep the wrapping closed. Kimono will fit in tatoushi either folded in half (lengthwise) or in thirds. Tatoushi help protect the kimono from humidity and bugs (say some sites), and they help keep the kimono flat and separate from other kimono items. They are also easier to stack and store when wrapped in tatoushi. You can purchase tatoushi from some online sellers.

Also called:
畳 【たとう】 (n) (abbr) folding paper-case; kimono wrapping paper [TATOU]
畳紙 【たとうがみ】 (n) folding paper-case; kimono wrapping paper [TATOUGAMI]
(gami is the alternate pronunciation of the same kanji used for "shi")

If storing many kimono together and they're not in tatoushi, it might be a good idea to invest in some acid-free paper to prevent color bleeding and protect the kimono.

Once the kimono are in tatoushi, they can be stored anywhere; some people pile them in their closets, on shelves, under the bed, or in other containers.

Large Paper/Cardboard Boxes
Sometimes these boxes are a bit more fashionable, coming in other colors or having the edges bound, but it might also be just a cardboard box that's the right size for you. They're stackable, and not as air-tight as plastic containers.

Storage Bins and other large containers, like steamer trunks
Some plastic storage bins are longer and fit the kimono folded up quite nicely, and come in a variety of sizes to suit your needs. The larger, flatter ones for going under the bed tend to fit kimono nicely and stack well. Be aware that because they are sealed, the kimono do not air out, and may need to be aired occasionally to keep moisture out and to ensure the color doesn't run. Tossing in a moisture absorbing packet might help. If you have to store kimono in a place where they might possibly get wet, or transport them, this might be the way to go.

If concerned about the airflow/moisture, some members have mentioned drilling holes in them, and then covering them with nicer fabric in case they have to sit out and you don't want people seeing the collection inside.

Other members have used layers of white cotton between kimono for protection if they didn't have any acid-free paper.

Vinyl/Plastic Underbed Bags/Garment Bags
They look like this. This conveniently fits under the bed if you're lacking storage (and not sleeping on a futon), and it's good for out of season items. It's durable and clear so you can see inside.

Dresser/Chest of Drawers/Armoir
In lieu of a tansu (see below), some people have turned to a Western equivalent. As long as the drawers are a good size, the kimono should fit without bunching and lie flat. It also keeps them all in one space, and you can sort them according to drawer.

Tansu
The traditional storage method, made of paulownia wood (kiri). This type of wood allows airflow by expanding (slightly) in the summer with the moisture to keep moisture out, and shrinking (slightly) in the winter when it's dryer to allow the air to flow. Tansu come in a variety of sizes, from some tall with hidden pull-out shelf-like drawers behind large doors, to others that are just small sets of drawers (do a google search to see the different sizes). Tansu are much harder to obtain outside of Japan, and are usually fairly costly, though they will last a very long time and can be passed down in the family. Some are plain, unfinished wood, while others appear to have been stained.

箪笥 【たんす】 (n) (uk) chest of drawers; bureau; cabinet; tansu; dresser; [TANSU]

Closet
Some people have mentioned that they hang their wafuku in the closet because they have closet space. It might be wise to invest in a few kimono hangers or perhaps "pants" hangers for clipping hakama to to store them (then you'd never have to worry about folding them up along those pleats, which can be a challenge). Obi can also be stored in a closet, hanging over a hanger. Some members have expressed concern that the weight might distort the kimono if it's not fully supported properly, so take that in mind if hanging your collection. Cotton yukata are more commonly hung when there's no space in the other storage box, I've noticed, when reading threads to compile this one.

Komono Storage
Item suggestions:
IKEA Boxes
- http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/30119644
- http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60073300
- http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80073304
(thread in which Naomi presents the idea for two of these boxes)
Shoe Boxes
Dresser drawer
Modular Water Jug Storage Bins
Rolling up haneri/erishin into a (cleaned out) Pringles chips container (idea by Chamekke, mentioned here).

Previous Threads about Storage
(Please remember that these may have been locked; if you want to comment about something specific, just copy and paste the test into a post in this thread, and "quote" it.)

How do you organize your kimono?
Kimono Storage Tips
Kimono Storage
How to Fold and Store Wafuku
Storing Kimono
Tatoshi Usage
Kimono cheap storage idea - alternative to plastic boxes? (ikea boxes)
Kitsuke and storage tips (the pringles container)
Kimono storage problem
Kimono storage

(I may have missed a few, so if you come across any others, feel free to share it.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:37 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

wow, so much information. I was wondering whether you can substitute tatoushi/rice paper/white linen with plain white towels..?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:57 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Kyouka, Gion Kobu
Fav. Geiko: Umeshizu, Kamishichiken
Fav. Motif: Cats, Peacocks, Stripes
Maybe so, but I worry about the bulk, I have no where near enough space to keep all my collection between towels :unsure:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:36 pm 
First Mate Ika-san (Admin)
First Mate Ika-san (Admin)

Fav. Maiko: Chicken maiko!
Fav. Geiko: Mao, Mameyoshi
Fav. Motif: Squid, tachibana, Tokaido
Geimyo: Tsukinohana - 月の花
You can buy sheets of white linen or untreated cotton at the fabric store for really cheap.

For the moment I'm actually using a sheet I tore up, but I don't know if it was treated with anything so I'm trying not to keep it there for too long  :oops:

Those small boxes from Ikea though - the green and white ones - they are a godsend for komono.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:19 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: Bird motif
:P
One of the most useful storage item I found is  tatoshi paper with a zipper , this is so convenient , you can find it under the name : 和装ä¿Â

Post subject: Re: :k Mega-Thread: Kimono/wafuku & Komono Storage
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:55 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Ok so i am kinda stumped, i bought a tonbi coat from ryu-san and i have no idea how to store it, does anybody here have any ideas ? :? i want to try and store it as well as possible as its from the 30's and in such good condition, i would hate to have it get ruined in my possesion :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:04 pm 
Minarai-san
Minarai-san

Fav. Maiko: Wakana
Fav. Geiko: Kikuno of Nara
Fav. Motif: Peony, peacocks, fish, matsu
I found a couple of plastic modular drawers at Target - I thought they were nice because their dimensions were pretty large and they had holes in the front, so air could circulate through. They're offered by Sterilite in a couple of different sizes if anyone's interested. I've never had problems with moths before, but I'm considering taping little satchels of lavender to the outside of the drawers - do you guys think this will be effective enough?

Here's the setup in my closet now. =D I also got another piece of modular storage with six cubby holes because I thought the dimensions would be perfect for storing kimono (and they pretty much are, I think). But the assembly was an absolute nightmare, and many of the panels already had cracks in the plastic where they wrap around the wire frames of the panels - I would not recommend this product to anyone. (It's called "organize-it 6 cube multi-purpose organizer" or something like that, also from Target.) But since it's assembled and in my closet already, it's not coming out any time soon. :angerburst

Now I just need some kimono to put in them! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:56 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Does anyone warn agains having kimonos hung on proper hangers instead of folding them? I really don't like the lines on kimono from folding them and was thinking about hanging them instead.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:46 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

I'm just wondering whether anyone who has kaku obi stores them in the little plastic bags they come in, or whether it's better to take them out of the bags for storage. I have a couple that I bought new that I've been keeping in the bags, but I wonder whether it would better to let them have more air...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:48 am 
Tayuu
Tayuu

Fav. Maiko: Umehisa, Mameharu, both Ayano
Fav. Geiko: Kotoha, Fukuyû, Ichiraku
Fav. Motif: Tsuta, Kiku leaves, Same
Don't ever, ever store anything that might mould out in air-tight plastic bags for a long time. Even if they are synthetic, they might take a funny smell.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:12 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Hmm. kaku obi bags aren't exactly air tight, and besides I can never fold my obi small enough to actually close the tops, but I guess they'd be better just folded in a drawer then?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:57 am 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Franciele, you can hang kimono on hangers, but the shoulders will distort over time. With yukata this is not quite as much of an issue, but I would not do it with silk kimono.

Post subject: Re: Mega-Thread: Kimono/wafuku & Komono Storage
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:15 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Maiko: Fukunao
Fav. Geiko: Fukuhina, kikutsuru
Fav. Motif: ume, momiji, matsu, hane
Geimyo: Kuyuri 九百合
Someday I will have a Tansu! I've found a lot of similar ones at furniture stores, but alas...too much $$. So I still keep mine in the bag that one of them came in. I know I need to put tatoushi paper in at least. So far I have managed to fit 7 kimono/yukata in it. But because one of them is silk, I need to come up with a better method. Love all the information here, must do more research and check the budget haha :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:34 pm 
Minarai-san
Minarai-san

Tatoshi [ たとう紙 / たとう布 / 畳紙 ] (romanizations: tatoushi, tatoshi, tatooshi, tatõshi; pronunciation of "ou" part: like you'd pronounce "oa" of "broad" )

As the more common kanji suggest, tatoushi means paper to fold (in), but also the kanji for cloth is used, leaving the question whether the folded garment is the nuno, or fabric, or can the protective envelope also be of fabric. The question will be answered below, as paper and cloth have different attributes.

Price varies depending on material and size. A typical, low price would be 10 envelopes for 1000+ yen or 10 euro/dollars.

Material may be

The best materials are produced in three areas in Japan.
越前和紙 Echizen washi (Echizen is a name of a place, washi / kami / gami all mean Japanese paper)
美濃紙 Minogami (Mino paper)
土佐和紙 Tosawashi (Tosa paper)

It is important to prevent precious garments from discoloring, turning yellow, fading, and of course bugs like roaches etc. A tatoushi is not necessary in conditions where garments can be stored flat and safe, protected against vermin, sunlight, mold etc. If you can't get hold of the right kind of paper, most importantly, acid free paper, it is better to just pile kimonos flat on a shelf or in a drawer, and store them in darkness and protected from vermin. In addition, the paper used should prevent oxidation of siver and gold used as decoration in the garments (treads, gold leaf). Oxidation will turn metals black.
In Japan, tatoushi wrapping is important, not only for protecting the garments from dirt, but also sunlight and moisture, as Japan is very sunny and humid. The absorbency and breathability of washi is better than that of paper made of Western pulp. Japanese washi is made of
(Broussonetia kazinoki x papyrifera (paper mulberry), Edgeworthia chrysantha (oriental paperbush), or recycled materials. The standard washi is made of Pennahia argentata (white croaker). There is also washi containing affordable bamboo. Recently, also synthetic, non-woven materials have intered the tatoushi market.
Some of them are very sophisticated, like this one meant for hontatamu.

Hontatamu is for fancy kimonos that need extra care. Papers of different sizes are inserted between layers and on top of the folded kimono to protect the fabric like [ur=http://yoneda-sed.co.jp/technique.htmll]this[/url].

There are also synthetic tatoushi that come with a zipper.

Types of papers for tatoushi have names like Kumotatsu or Mokuren. Mokuren, for example means lily magnolia, but has nothing to do with the plant. The paper is made of recycled materials and has the color of unbleached cloth. 三椏紙 or Mitsumata kami (oriental paperbush paper) is considered the "original" washi, it is affordable, and if not the best quality, at least suffiecient enough.

A tatoushi cannot thus be of (at least organig) fabric, or at least, other protective measures must be taken to prevent possible moisture damage, verimin and discoloration damage. In central heated apartments with dry air, it is sufficient to store kimonos flat and in the dark, protected from vermin.

Other types of storage:

Yukata bag / roll:

Sizes:

The width of the paper envelope is 35cm (approximately one foot).

Since the height of the Japanese has increased, the extra large size has changed from 83cm to 87cm. Both sizes are still being manufactured. This is the suitable size for storing more precious kimonos like kabuki wafuku, as the kimono fits in the tatoushi folded in half.

The large size is 64cm. The kimono is folded in 3 parts lengthwise. This size of tatoushi can also be used for haori and obi. This size fits in a Japanese garment box (ishoubako).

The 55cm (medium size) tatoushi is for haori, yukata, and obi.

The small size is 47cm and it is meant for obi storage.

The window of a tatoushi is of course useful, but be aware that the material on old or cheap tatoushi can damage your garments. Recently cellophane has been exchanged for less damaging types of plastic, but even with such, note that light may turn your garment yellow or the colors may fade leaving a lighter circle on your kimono. Store your kimono in a dark place.

Here is a page with pictures of many different sizes and [urlhttp://www.tera-mura.co.jp/kurodanitatosi.htm]types[/url] of paper.

畳箱 [ たとうばこ ] (romanizations: tatoubako, tatobako, tatoobako, tatõbako)

A box for kimono made of kiri / paulownia:

Typical measurement for tatoubako could be (all inner measurements):
length 88,6cm
width 37,6cm
depth or height of individual box (stored on top of eachother) 10cm
Outer measurements: 91x40x16 if applicable, depends on how thick your plank is.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:02 am 
Kamuro
Kamuro

Fav. Maiko: Kanoyuri
Fav. Geiko: Miehina
Fav. Motif: Bangasa
Ooooh, I've never seen those yukata rolls before. They look really interesting!

A word of warning to those who want to purchase the synthetic tatoushi, if you have long nails (or not, come to think of it) be mindful of how to grip the bag. I have some and I have already poked a few holes into them! The fabric dosn't have a tight weave as I mistakenly thought.

Thanks Hanami I'm always interested in seeing new ways of kimono.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:24 pm 
Jimae Geiko
Jimae Geiko

Something to carry tatoshi storage to extremes:

Obiage/obijime tatoshi

:roll:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:14 pm 
Kamuro
Kamuro

Fav. Maiko: Kanoyuri
Fav. Geiko: Miehina
Fav. Motif: Bangasa
A wrapper for your............wrapper?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:07 pm 
Misedashi
Misedashi

Fav. Geiko: Kikutsuru
Fav. Motif: Yabane, Water, Ume, Botan
Is there any place that sells tatoubako online or in-store in the U.S.? And how much do they usually sell for each?

Also, I found this from Pottery Barn if anyone is looking for a good storage trunk:
http://www.potterybarn.com/products/cottage-trunk/?pkey=cend-of-bed
Because it's wicker, it looks pretty breathable.
Unfortunately, it's a bit out of my price range.

I also have a question for everyone: what kind of storage device do you use for your komono? I recall seeing someone that had a shallow box with all their obiage folded up nice and neat... I need creative ideas for a small living space!

I run f***yeahwafuku @ tumblr! check it out and follow me!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:42 pm 
Tayuu
Tayuu

Shoe-boxes are your friends. Most shops usually have a few on hand, or can refrain from butchering them up for one or 2 days.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:02 am 
Misedashi
Misedashi

Tahanala, brilliant! Maybe I'll try to doll-up some shoeboxes when I get home to New York.

Actually, I'm very lucky enough to have noticed a small wicker cube box that we have had sitting around the house collecting dust for years, and said, "this is exactly what I need!" My stepmom said that I could empty it out and have it because it has only been holding some little knick-knacks. When I turned it around, I noticed the ginkgo leaf-shaped lock, and opened it and, lo and behold, it is lined with paulownia wood! She told me it was her dad's a long time ago and is actually Japanese!
Unfortunately, it isn't big enough to hold my kimono (only about 35cm x 35cm x 35cm), but it is definitely perfect for storing obi and yukata! :lovelove :lovelove I lucked out today!
I'll try and take some pictures when there's better lighting tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:18 am 
Tayuu
Tayuu

The lids are usually close-fitting, so don't put the decoration too high up the sides or it won't close. Scrap wallpaper is your friend (and mine!) I usually ask wallpaper and carpet shops for their leftovers, and get gorgeous designs and textures for free.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:48 am 
Misedashi
Misedashi

Tahanala wrote:
The lids are usually close-fitting, so don't put the decoration too high up the sides or it won't close. Scrap wallpaper is your friend (and mine!) I usually ask wallpaper and carpet shops for their leftovers, and get gorgeous designs and textures for free.

That sounds really neat, I've never thought of that.
Would you suggest lining it with some sort of acid-free paper or cotton to protect the contents? I would worry about the cardboard (or whatever material) causing harm to my obiage and obijime.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:44 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Maiko: n/a
Fav. Geiko: n/a
Fav. Motif: shibori, bangasa, firefly
Has anyone made use of cedar planks or saches with dried flowers in them for odor control? " Vintage Kimono Smell" is a fact of life with this hobby but there has to be some way to deal with it? I am thinking about getting some litle wooden boxes and drilling a grid of small holes in the sides. Then I may fill a small linen pouch with lavander and rose petals. That way the pouches will not actually be touching the kimono and I could place them in the corners of my storage cabinet.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:30 pm 
Misedashi
Misedashi

owl wrote:
Has anyone made use of cedar planks or saches with dried flowers in them for odor control? " Vintage Kimono Smell" is a fact of life with this hobby but there has to be some way to deal with it? I am thinking about getting some litle wooden boxes and drilling a grid of small holes in the sides. Then I may fill a small linen pouch with lavander and rose petals. That way the pouches will not actually be touching the kimono and I could place them in the corners of my storage cabinet.

I have a lavender sachet in my little kiri box that I keep my komono and yukata in.
However, I do not put my kimono in with it.
My kitsuke book says not to put any kind of insecticide/vermicide in with kimono. That's the only thing I could make out that it said about it...

I would just be wary of not putting anything directly on the silk. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:52 pm 
Tayuu
Tayuu

As said before, the old musty smell usually goes away if you air out your kimono long enough. As for the regular kiri smell, I for one love it and am sorely disappointed when it starts to fade away. Eau-de-tansu rules!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:01 pm 
Misedashi
Misedashi

Tahanala wrote:
As said before, the old musty smell usually goes away if you air out your kimono long enough. As for the regular kiri smell, I for one love it and am sorely disappointed when it starts to fade away. Eau-de-tansu rules!

It is a very nostalgic smell. :kawaii:
I have an obi that smells more like reek-de-tansu than eau-de-tansu, though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:09 pm 
Tayuu
Tayuu

Yes, there is the normal smell, then there are all those mouldy / chemical smells that would make people with anosmia gag. I've had my share of the latter.

I also got a lot of obiage from Kyoto.Antiques that smells of cheap sweet perfume. It is so random it makes me smile every time I wear one of them, including right now (ivory chirimen, plain.)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:03 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

I have one obi that justis one big BLEH! It is mostly black so maybe it is the dye that produces the odor. I have tried airing it out but it still is kinda funky.
I need to come up with something...tests and pictures are sure to follow.

Maybe if one has a shelf type storage unit you could get some white vintage tea cups and saucers and put some potpurri in them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:04 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Mayu wrote:
Tahanala wrote:

It is a very nostalgic smell. :kawaii:
I have an obi that smells more like reek-de-tansu than eau-de-tansu, though.

Hahahha! I can identify with that! :x

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:55 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

I found out today that searching for "Credenza" brings up a lot of tansu like storage furniture.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:30 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Motif: Shishi, Kicho, Eda-Ume
Geimyo: Suishiko 粋獅子
I have an unbelievably stupid question: how do you use Bochu-Koh? I just bought and received a box to repel insects from my kimono's new home in a not-quite airtight cabinet (the magnetic hinges that would keep the doors shut no longer work). I'm mostly wondering if you open the packets or not, and how far away to put the packets. All my stuff is in tatoushi.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:26 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: Ume, matsu
Sui-san, since the incense repellent works with its smell, I imagine they're used like lavender bundles that are for scenting bedlinen. Ie, tuck them in between your tatôshi or in the corners of your storage unit, making sure they don't contact the kimonos themselves.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:42 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Motif: sakura petals
has anyone considered or used map chests?
http://basement.shoeblogs.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/turner-map-coffee-table.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:36 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Geiko: Komako in Snow Country
Fav. Motif: Sakura
Can anyone help me?

Someone posted, quite some time ago now, a cute little Japanese set of drawers she used for storing her obiage and obijime.

If anyone can find the thread or post for me, please message me!

Much appreciated,
AF

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:55 pm 

I think Naomi posted about using a box from Ikea for little komono; it's about the same color as kiri. That's the only thing I can think of. I tried to find a picture, but I don't even know if Ikea carries it any more (and I can't remember what it's called, either).

To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. - Joseph Chilton Pearce

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:29 pm 
Jimae Geiko
Jimae Geiko

Iyolin is right, Naomi had posted this ikea boxes for obiage and obijme storage.

Cheap Komono Storage Idea - Alternative to Plastic Boxes?

:)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:53 pm 
Tayuu
Tayuu

I believe it was called the Fira, and it's no longer made (to my dismay.)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:45 pm 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Fav. Geiko: Kimika, Komomo
Fav. Motif: water themes, flowers
Geimyo: Kaneyuki 鐘雪
Well, my final three kimonos arrived home and the dreadful thing happened. I ran out of storing space. I had purchased earlier a hanger meant for pants and luckily it's wide enough to hand my nagoya obis on it! Space problem solved!

Here's how it looks like:
It's actually big enough to fit two obi on one peg so I still have room for more obi! (All my obis are not in the picture, just the ones in better shape to be stored like this). Now I have a little more time to find a bigger storing space. I don't have proper kimono closet yet, because our bedroom and appartment is rather small...

The Sewing Blog: http://lumikettusewing.blogspot.fi/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:10 pm 
Minarai-san
Minarai-san

Fav. Motif: Sakura Butterfly Asanoha
Geimyo: Chouankou - 蝶暗香
Are there some real no goes in storing kimono and obi?
And would you share some experiences how you stored your stuff when you started your collections?
What did you do before you got tatoshi or a good wardrobe for kimono?
Any hints/solutions for keeping them safe, without the "perfect" solution?

(I don't want to write too much, I can't properly adjust my room to my collection atm, and I can't work with a long-time-solution until I move out (wouldn't make any sense). Also with christmas being soon I can't buy too much - and the shipping-price for enough Tatoshi is high :( I didn't have any bad experience with my storing until now, but I fear risking too much, if perhaps some changes could help a lot. I guess moving my stuff around because of my growing collection also helped a bit.. but I don't know why I didn't think more about storage before)
I hope these questions are OK here, perhaps I didn't search enough..
I really know what I should do to make it right, but I don't know what to do until I CAN make it right - and what should be avoided by all means. (I should write a book "how NOT to start a kimono collection" :cry: )

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:33 am 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Fav. Motif: Fujin & Raijin
As long as your collection has its own space, is protected from the elements (and flora and fauna) and isn't crumpled and cramped, you're good to go :)

My collection started on a shelf in my closet, eventually took over my closet and then moved out onto shelves I bought for them. Demanding collection, it is :P I bought tatoshi for all the kimono, juban and haori and my komono are in boxes. To protect everything from dust, I covered the shelves with my furoshiki and tenugui collection.

I've finally managed to wrangle the collection and get it all put in place LOL Take a look:

(And for any K-Drama fans out there, that blue plastic stool is indeed from a midnight soju tent. Don't ask me how it ended up in my possession. I don't remember :coy: )

Facebook: http://facebook.com/ai0kimono

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:36 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: Tiger, Mountains, etc
Geimyo: Setsuko
:droolkitti: :droolkitti: :droolkitti: :droolkitti: :droolkitti: :droolkitti: :droolkitti: :droolkitti: :droolkitti: :droolkitti: :droolkitti: :droolkitti: :droolkitti: :droolkitti: :droolkitti: :droolkitti: :droolkitti: :droolkitti: :droolkitti: :droolkitti:

My Kimono Collection! http://www.flickr.com/photos/bornahorse/sets/
My Kimono Ensemble Gallery! http://www.flickr.com/photos/72600799@N03/sets/

DeviantArt account: http://bornahorse.deviantart.com/
Srrdian Dreams, a site for my original novel(s): http://www.srrdiandreams.yolasite.com/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:02 am 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Toshimomo, Mamesaku
Fav. Geiko: Tsuneyu, Sayaka
Fav. Motif: birds/lilies/trees/snow
I would love to do that too, it looks amazing :lovelove :drooldrool: ! But that would mean I would have to count my kimono to order enough tatoshi and that could be a shocking experience... :ermum

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:17 am 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Thanks guys :) Keep in mind that this is the result of 8 years of collecting and experimenting with storage solutions. I'm actually saving up right now to replace all the tatoshi since they're old and have been through 6 moves. Gotta keep them fresh or else the kimono will suffer :(

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:34 pm 
Jimae Geiko
Jimae Geiko

seoulstar74 I want to visit you for some kimono "shopping" :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:57 pm 
Furisode Shinzo
Furisode Shinzo

Fav. Maiko: Fumino,Sayaka,Ayano,Toshiteru
Fav. Geiko: Umeshizu,Mamehana,Mamechiho
Fav. Motif: asa, nami
Geimyo: 孔雀水 Kujakumizu
ohhh so many kimonoes in one room :droolkitti: :droolkitti:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:34 pm 
Furisode Shinzo
Furisode Shinzo

Konnichiwa everyone)Do you know the measurements for kimono storage box :? I just whant to make it by myself :lovelove :lovelove

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:44 am 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

If you're making it yourself then you can make it any size you need it to be, depending onhow you store your kimono. Good luck and pictures when it's finished please :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:50 am 
Furisode Shinzo
Furisode Shinzo

Hai=)but as you know i am new in kimono collecting and i whant to know juust the most optimal size of it :kawaii:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:00 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Toyoka san If you look in this very thread, you will find

Hanamis post from Wed Aug 11 2010 in which she has a picture with a tatoubako and describes its measurements.

Seoulstar74s post from Sun Dec 2012 in which she has a picture showing a shelf ( the one with the white kimono tatous ) I am positive that I have seen the very same ! kind of shelf not only in nanaoh, a very good kimono magazine, but also in a video about an okiya in Kyoto, where the maiko kimono were stored.
The most important thing is that you like the place where you store your kimono and that it is useful.

I have measured my tatou and they are 36 x 87 cm. So with 40 x 90 cm you are on the safe side.

On a side note: Your last avatar with the geisha who had an adventurous twinkle in her eyes, I liked it very much.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:13 am 
Furisode Shinzo
Furisode Shinzo

utsusemi wrote:
Toyoka san If you look in this very thread, you will find

Hanamis post from Wed Aug 11 2010 in which she has a picture with a tatoubako and describes its measurements.

Seoulstar74s post from Sun Dec 2012 in which she has a picture showing a shelf ( the one with the white kimono tatous ) I am positive that I have seen the very same ! kind of shelf not only in nanaoh, a very good kimono magazine, but also in a video about an okiya in Kyoto, where the maiko kimono were stored.
The most important thing is that you like the place where you store your kimono and that it is useful.

I have measured my tatou and they are 36 x 87 cm. So with 40 x 90 cm you are on the safe side.

On a side note: Your last avatar with the geisha who had an adventurous twinkle in her eyes, I liked it very much.

Ookini Utsusemi-san)for everything)i am so inattentive, realy, i have seen the paulovnia box image but i have missed the measurements under :( Thank you so much)
about my avatar image - i have noticed it too)She suc a lovely maiko. I realy cant wait to see her misedashi that may be in 2014 but...who know. But She realy has some kind of twinkle in her eyes :kawaii: :kawaii:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:44 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

I had found a tutorial a while back on making a fabric tatoshi, which, after reading this thread, is not really a tatoshi. I couldn't find it anymore, but had saved it in .doc format so I just reposted it to my blog http://kristinskimonos.blogspot.com/2013/09/fabric-tatoushi-tutorial.html, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on, if I was making this, a good fabric to use for it. My primary thought is to use either unbleached muslin or a thicker unbleached cotton (not quite duck cloth, but similar to canvas). My concern with the canvas would be that it would be to heavy and may trap humidity or something similar. On the opposite end, my concern with muslin would be that it is to light to hold up to the zipper, but it would not be to hard to substitute ties for that.

Also, if I use the muslin, could I use unbleached muslin? I think that the unbleached muslin would look a lot nicer.

And another question - If I used a very light weight clear vinyl in a tatoshi as a viewing window, would that impact the kimono at all? I am planning on using cottons and rayons (with the occasional polyester...I know, bad Kristin :( ...I am only planning on using the polyester brocades in the non-traditional kimono though, unless a buyer really wants it in the full-length kimono and I absolutely cannot persuade them otherwise) so I don't have to worry about the fragility of silk or anything like that, but some of the rayons will be hand dyed/painted so they will be more delicate.

And here is the final (for now) question that I have as far as storage - would a tatoshi (in altered dimensions) work for an obi? I have one obi that is beautiful that my husband got me for our first dating anniversary that is a very bright aqua blue with other vibrant colors and I worry about storing it next to anything light colored because of color bleed (however unlikely that is), so after every wear it gets wrapped in the increasingly sparse tissue paper and put back in the plastic bag it got shipped in, which just makes me nervous. My thought is that, if I made a tatoshi similar to the one in the tutorial, I could make it in a color that matches the base color of the obi, but I don't know if I should use the colored cotton, a colored poly/cotton blend, or a muslin.

I appreciate any advice that you have for me
Kristin :kitti:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:20 pm 

Niharana wrote:
Also, if I use the muslin, could I use unbleached muslin? I think that the unbleached muslin would look a lot nicer.

And another question - If I used a very light weight clear vinyl in a tatoshi as a viewing window, would that impact the kimono at all?

And here is the final (for now) question that I have as far as storage - would a tatoshi (in altered dimensions) work for an obi?

I appreciate any advice that you have for me
Kristin :kitti:

I'd go for the lighter fabric myself. The twill or duck would be too heavy and would add a bit to shipping charges. I think the muslin would hold a zipper just fine. I know people who make corset mockups (just for shape) out of muslin, and I know the light broadcloth holds a zipper. Just be sure that you want to add this expense to the bottom line (does it make sense financially to make and give away with your item? I imagine the cost of materials and labour would be at least $20)?

I think using lightweight clear vinyl would be fine. The rest of the fabric breathes.

Obi can definitely go in tatoushi if you want to put them in one. My new obi(s) came in one (no differently sized than the one for kimono, as the widths of a folded kimono and a full width obi is very similar). I'd stick to light, off-white fabrics, just in case of colour bleed (I'd just be worried, even if unlikely).

Also, I deleted the reference to selling in your post (even though your intention is not advertising). There's a thread called "business discussion" in the Marketplace which is open to post questions like "would you prefer a tatoushi of paper, unbleached muslin, or bleached muslin", etc).

To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. - Joseph Chilton Pearce

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:53 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Thank you very much for your advice and for the editing ^_^

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:26 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Geiko: Kimika'
Fav. Motif: Yukata &Tsukesage/Koi
Geimyo: Shiah
I actually found a place that sells garment storage paper and even box's that fit kimono perfectly!

And if was cheap!
Box and paper cost me 6$! At tip top tailers !! I went in to get a suit item with my hubby and saw them on the wall, after asking a few question found out there perfect for them and there even made for that type of thing ! I bought one for each of my kimono they even have different sizes and there med fit my obi's!

There also acid free and some other chemical I can't remember free

Search for:
Jump to: