Login * Member Blogs
FAQ *
   Search *
Member Stores
View unanswered posts
View active topics ::

IMPORTANT!

IMPORTANT NOTE: While email addresses are protected and hidden from view to both members and guest, if you have recently received unsolicited email contact from any member or former member, please forward it to us. Click to read more.

Becoming a member of the IG community is as simple as registering. To register, please click on "Login", and then "Register". Please note, registrations are activated manually by a moderator, so there may be a tiny delay in signing up and account activation. Registered, but having trouble with login? Please read this thread.

Members new and old, it's always a good time to re-acquaint yourself with the rules. New members, unsure about where to post stuff, or overwhelmed by the number of forums? Please check out the useful thread index.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The "Stop Buyin' - Start Wearin!" Challenge
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:05 pm 
Captain Okamisan (owner)
Captain Okamisan (owner)

Fav. Maiko: Momotaro
Fav. Geiko: Tome
Fav. Motif: Uguisu
Ok ok - no need to actually stop buying, but 'fess up! How many of us here have a massive closet full of kimono, obi and accessories that have been sitting there for years unworn as of yet? I know I do!

This challenge is for those of us who have unworn pieces to finally put together an ensemble! The entire ensemble doesn't have to been unworn - but at least one main element - either the kimono or obi should be unworn as of yet.

Last, but not least, if you're game - 'fess up to how long the piece/s have been sitting in your closet unworn! :lol:

Post subject: Re: The "Stop Buyin' - Start Wearin!" Challenge
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:19 pm 
Captain Okamisan (owner)
Captain Okamisan (owner)

I'm gonna to be the first to 'fess up to having a closet of unworn pieces! I'm also gonna 'fess up and admit I'm not gonna stop buying either ;P

My problem is I have a few favourite pieces that I love wearing over and over again...I need to break out of that rut and use all my other lovely pieces instead!

This is an indigo wool kasuri ensemble that I've had for at least 5 years. Actually - I don't remember quite how long I've had it...how embarrassing! :oops: The obi is a gift from Moonblossom from about two years ago. I had been wanting to wear the obi for quite some time - but I just wasn't feeling it with any ensembles until I paired it with this wool kimono.

It was also the first time I had worn this haneri (it's a woven faux shibori with embroidered flowers) and obijime!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:44 am 
Minarai-san
Minarai-san

Fav. Motif: Ume *___________*
Ooh! I love the matchy-matchy. ^__^

I wasn't going to submit to this challenge...but then I was going through my things and thought I'd try on one of my old (as in aged) yukata to see if I'd lost enough weight to wear it without suffocating myself. And as it turns out, yes. Yes I have.

I have had the silver butterfly hanhaba obi for about a year now. It sat in the closet. I bought the boy's heko obi because it was so gloriously BLUE. It's sat in my closet since summer. I forget when I bought the yukata, but I've been sighing at it longingly for what feels like forever.

The geta aren't new, either. I just never wear them. <.< I'm not wearing them in the full picture because mother will devour me if I wander around in geta at two in the morning. And I know one is not "supposed" to wear jewelry with kimono, but let me put it this way...they can have my shinies when they pry them from my cold dead fingers. ^______^

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:13 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: Tiger, Mountains, etc
Geimyo: Setsuko
Ah! What a challenge!! I haven't worn like... most of my closet... >.>

What a pretty set, Immortal Geisha! How do you find matching kimono/haori sets?

Oni that yukata is adorable!!! And SHIBORI heko... heehee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:15 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Fukusuzu
Fav. Geiko: Kimika and Mayuha
I have a nagoya obi with a design of na-no-hana (aka rape blossoms) that I've been dying to wear ever since I bought it, which is... less than a year but more than a couple months (can't remember exactly). It's so perfect for early to mid Spring, but in February my mom had a partial knee replacement and I officially had no time afterwards. I had actually been in the process of re-organizing my entire collection (and weeding some out), and they all just languished in my room for weeks, totally untouched XD. But my mom's doing incredibly well and has recovered to the point that she can drive herself and walk through most of the house without a cane, so I'm not as needed now and have more free time. I knew I had to find an ocassion to get dolled up and wear this obi while it was still in season, and today was the perfect day. I met for lunch with a kimono tailor who has been working on some of my antique kimono. Perfect :katana:!

This shawl was given to me two years ago by a sweet Obaachan in Japan who I could not understand even remotely. All I knew is that she loved the fact that I walked around all the time in kimono, and gave me a few of her things. I had planned to wear this for the first time earlier in the year with a similar ensemble, but it was so warm that day that I didn't need it. It was actually even warmer today than it was then, but I really wanted to wear it!

My mother made me this maruguke obijime a few days before she had her surgery, and this is also the first time I'm wearing it.

I also got this kanzashi when I was in Japan, but one of the prongs broke off on the trip home, and I only recently got around to gluing it back on. I've been a little hesitant to try it on since I didn't want to break it again, but it ended falling out of my hair and didn't break, so I guess it's good!

I have komachi geta! I got these around the same time I got the obi, and I've been waiting for an opprotunity to wear them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:46 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: hanabi, goldfish, landscape
I've been eyeing this challenge ever since it first came up! I'm glad I have something like this to inspire me to wear some of my older pieces XD

This afternoon, I was working on something that was starting to give me an awful headache by 5.30pm, so I decided to stop, rest and take some time to myself.

And.... here's the result XD

Pink Plaid Kofurisode by shira.C, on Flickr

I've been feeling particularly girly lately, so this pink kofurisode was perfect. I've had it for at least 2 and a half years, and have been in a love/hate relationship with it from the moment it arrived XD It was one of those impulse buys that I sometimes regret, sometimes don't. Even though I'm wearing it now, I still can't decide if I love or hate it XD;;;

I had a few outfits lined up for it already, but they didn't feel girly enough for my liking, so I took out this dark purple obi that aoi84 gave me about two years ago. I don't think I've worn it yet, but I definitely have coordinated a few outfits with it. Although I originally wanted yellow accessories, I ended up using pink instead because I just couldn't get enough pink today XD;

I'm always told that kofurisode shouldn't be worn with otaiko musubi (something that I do waaay too often), but this kofurisode's pattern is so informal that it seems weird to me to wear even a bunko musubi with it!

I'm really happy to have worn kimono today ^___^ It's been what, 10 months since I last wore anything with a juban! That said, I'm extremely happy with how my kitsuke turned out today, even if it did take me a longer time than usual :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:26 pm 
Misedashi
Misedashi

Fav. Motif: bright, and gracefull flowers
well i noticed when i posted more pics of this in the kitsuke photo gallery, that most of the things i wear, are worn for the first time >u<!

i had never worn the kimono, obi, obidome and both obijime before in an ensemble! and it is funny how they all fit into one ensemble >u<!! the green obijime is the one i got as a present in the christmas swap =D! i never thought i'd have even one ensemble that obijime would fit in... i'm glad i found a purpose for it now =D!

(original threat http://www.immortalgeisha.com/ig_bb/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17195&p=210634#p210634

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:51 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Maiko: dont know yet
Fav. Geiko: dont know yet
Fav. Motif: Flowers, edo/graphic pattern
Wow, a good thing to take those pieces out of the closet, some great kitsukes you all have :katana:

Last edited by Sekhet on Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:24 am 
Captain Okamisan (owner)
Captain Okamisan (owner)

Good job everyone! All the ensembles are just fantastic! If you're hiding those away unworn - what else is living in the back of your closet? Bust them out everyone! :katana:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:56 am 
Furisode Shinzo
Furisode Shinzo

I just realised that the outfit I wore to go bowling fit into this challenge:

The kimono is very slippery polyester, and the hanhaba is very narrow, so I don't usually favor them even if they are beautiful :(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:54 pm 
Minarai-san
Minarai-san

Ah ha a challenge that I can join :)

Kimono and obi brought over 2 years ago and waiting for the right moment.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:28 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Motif: Butterflies, Moon, smoke
Geimyo: 月百合 Tsukiyuri
I'll be posting something soon! I finally have a whole ensamble, so I really wanna show it off! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:57 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Ame, thats must bee litteraly the saying "work it girl" :wink:

hellokitty8182 wonder why, you have not used these pieces before, I find it so "here and now" like :)

Last edited by Sekhet on Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:27 pm 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Toshimomo, Mamesaku
Fav. Geiko: Tsuneyu, Sayaka
Fav. Motif: birds/lilies/trees/snow
The kimono here is not so old, I got it last winter, but the tsuru obi has been sitting in my closet about two years. I haven't worn either of them before, even though I should have, so here it goes :katana: .

I did not realize the waves in the obi waist part remind quite much karakusa pattern in my kimono until I had worn the outfit and was looking at the pictures... I don't know if it's good or bad thing :unsure: .

The red parts in kimono and accessories are trying to match the bright red spot on crane's head :kawaii: . Too bad you cannot see it very well...

Also, since the colors and motifs happened to match nicely, I am wearing orizuru tama kanzashi (my only orizuru item :( ). I don't know if that's enough for the senbazuru challenge.. :P

The kanzashi made me hit my head on the ceiling lamp every time I walked under it. I have never noticed I am just short enough so I don't have to watch it. The kanzashi made me just a few cm taller, but that was enough. In the end I had to take it off before it would get damaged :oops: .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:51 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Motif: karakusa
Orizuru kanzashi totally counts! :ori:

And I love that outfit! Karakusa is my favorite motif, and I do think that the waves go well with it. Lovely colors.

My only CC: more pictures of the kanzashi! It sounds really cute. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:15 am 
Furisode Shinzo
Furisode Shinzo

Fav. Geiko: Wakana
Fav. Motif: Itomaki Hanabishi Higaki
Muhvi, I really like this outfit, but I think I like the way you wear it more.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:36 pm 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

azusa and Quat - Thanks :) !

When I am not feeling so lazy, I'll search more pictures of the kanzashi, and I'll post them in the senbazuru thread.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:39 pm 
First Mate Ika-san (Admin)
First Mate Ika-san (Admin)

Fav. Maiko: Chicken maiko!
Fav. Geiko: Mao, Mameyoshi
Fav. Motif: Squid, tachibana, Tokaido
Geimyo: Tsukinohana - 月の花
I've had this super-sexy pink Taisho komon for over a year now and I'd just never gotten around to wearing it. I am a fat arse now and it doesn't fit me very well anymore, but I managed to at least pose for a few photos in it!

more photos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:49 pm 
First Mate Boobie-san (Mod)
First Mate Boobie-san (Mod)

Fav. Motif: apples, tsujigahana
What a color! hot hot hot

To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. - Joseph Chilton Pearce

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:56 pm 
Furisode Shinzo
Furisode Shinzo

Fav. Motif: tachibana, asanoha, maple
You said it Iyolin :katana:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:30 pm 
Captain Okamisan (owner)
Captain Okamisan (owner)

You know I :lovelove it!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:15 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: kaioke, bamboo, asagao, mums,
Simply gorgeous! :lovelove

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:12 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: Ane-sama ningyo, stripes
I've had this kimono for over a year now, maybe even more than that because I think it missed 2 springs now? But this year I was set on wearing it! I actually did wear it back in March for Japan Day in Cambridge... but never took photos, and we all know if there are not photos it doesn't count.

The obi was also never worn till the day. It's a cotton fukuro and I love it! :) I had an A-HA moment when I saw these kimono and obi next to each other on the couch, when I originally didn't even plan on pairing them up together.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:16 am 
Furisode Shinzo
Furisode Shinzo

Fav. Geiko: Eitaro, Tsuneyuu
Fav. Motif: Takaramono/Cranes/Dance
Geimyo: Touzuda 冬鶴朶
Quat wrote:
Muhvi, I really like this outfit, but I think I like the way you wear it more.

I agree. Muhvi, your kitsuke is so nice, and the way you hold yourself could make any kimono look good! That first picture looks like it's straight out of a magazine.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:32 am 
Captain Okamisan (owner)
Captain Okamisan (owner)

Lyuba-chan - The way you and your husband match makes me :puke - but in a totally good "AWWWWW!" sort of way! :lovelove

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:59 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: Tiger, Mountains, etc
Geimyo: Setsuko
LOL Naomi! I was gonna say the same thing! It's so cute how you guys match and the photo for it is just perfect!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:59 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Geiko: Ichimame, Sayaka, Kimika
Fav. Motif: ryusui karako tagasode
Naomi-chan, thank ou for this suitable challange. I`ve perceived that there many kimono waiting for their debiut from my tansu.
This is jewel of my small collection- fully embroidered homoungi with designer`s signature on right okumi. It`s made of beautiful shiny chirimen, I wonder if I am right that it is tango chirimen, but I`m not expert not at all.
I have doubts if this light blue fukuro is the best choice. It seems that it needs something darker like nave blue or dark gray.

Last edited by moligami on Thu May 12, 2011 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:05 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: Ane-sama ningyo, stripes
Immortal Geisha, I tried :) And I've also warned everyone that we'll match :katana: :katana: You know what else is funny? One of the Japanese ladies went "Lyuba and Robert, so similar!" And it didn't occur to me that our name would sound similar till a Japanese person said it and I remember the whole R/L thing :) So we match in our names too, not just kimono :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:30 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Geimyo: Maiouka
Moligami I think the obi looks absolutely beautiful with that kimono, but then I'm quite fond of blue/pink combinations.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:37 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: Ume, matsu
Introcucing my azuki red yabane komon, synthetic, never worn. Owned it for at least 1 year. Also includes never-worn pink obi (although I bought her the very same day), never-worn green obijime (6-12 months), never-worn pink obiage (3-6 months) and never-worn white and purple obijime (12 months?).

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:49 pm 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Fav. Motif: Kiku, Momiji, Usagi, Karabana
Moligami, I love the light blue fukuro with that kimono! It's so light and fresh! Darker obi could work too, but I think this ensemble is great.

And I wish my otaiko (or nijuudaiko, even) looked that nice! Mine always kind of scrunch up, and I finally figured out that a back pad should hopefully help the problem.

I love the komon Peccantis! It's a gorgeous colour!

My contribution, made up mostly of unworn things, from a hanami party (my first!) this past weekend:

The shibori komon I've had for a year at least, and have been strangely reticent to wear it due to not knowing what to pair with it. When this awesome Nagoya obi arrived I decided to take the plunge.

The obi looks raspberry-red indoors, but outdoors it was a rather alarming hot pink (to me, as I usually avoid pink). I still love it though.

First time wearing the kimono, obi, obidome (brooch), yabane tabi, and homemade han-eri. I think I've worn the haori once before but it's been a loooong time.

This is purely to show the obi, please ignore messed-up otaiko (I really need to make that small-of-back pad) and how my butt somehow looks enormous in this photo. :(

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:59 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: Ume, matsu
What a snazzy snazzy obi :lovelove Now you don't have any excuses for not wearing your pretty kimono more :wink: My komon is actually a few shades darker in person, the setting sun really made it look lighter and redder...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:33 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: deers
Geimyo: 紅葉鹿
that's been almost a year since I bought this komon and never worn it because I didn't have obi that looked good on it...until I received this hanhaba.
The weather was a bit hot for wearing black,even hitoe :ermum

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:37 pm 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Kitty fake meisen yukata I bought in summer 2010. The obi has been worn many times before.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:56 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Geimyo: Maiouka
OMG Muhvi this ensemble is so adorable! :lovelove :lovelove :lovelove

I want your yakata sooo bad!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:12 pm 
Onesan
Onesan

Fav. Motif: bamboo, yabane, ivy, tachibana
Lovely yukata - cute, but a bit grown-up as well.

If it had dogs instead of cats, I'd be raiding your wardrobe!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:54 pm 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Aiko_hb and rubyminky - Thanks! I really like it, it's just too bad it's made like most yukata - no seam allowances at all, so it's little small for me and can't be made bigger... :( ..but the kitties make it all up I guess :P .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:38 am 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Wakana, Ayano
Fav. Geiko: Wakana, Kotoha
Fav. Motif: Bamboo, Matsu, Ume, Sakura
The yukata is awesome, Muhvi! :lovelove

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:20 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Great images all three :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:41 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

This Chuya I got quite a while ago, it is dirty has worm holes, so to give the Chuya a little justice for coming all the way to Denmark, I think it should be used at leased once, before I cut it up for something else,

The Bunko Musubi, never came out so nice as I wanted, ans after the fifth time I left it on, I'm pretty sure I have pulled the obiage through the wrong place. The chuya it self, are quite soft, so I guess this is not the perfeckt musubi for it`s kind.

For tutoriel, I used this one, which Kimono Daisukihas been so kind, to put on her flickr accont.

The kimono has never been worn neither, since it is one of my many extension projects. That have yet to come, now it has been used for at least.

Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:44 pm 
Furisode Shinzo
Furisode Shinzo

Fav. Geiko: Eitaro, Tsuneyuu
Fav. Motif: Takaramono/Cranes/Dance
Geimyo: Touzuda 冬鶴朶
Oh no! Is there any way to restore it? That is one of the coolest obi I've ever seen!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:38 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Wow ! Fuyou, Lyba-chan, Moligami and Sekhet, your ensembles for this challenge are SOOOOO unbelievably COOL ! I would never have expected to many beautiful things unworn or uncombined ! Anyway, this topic is a great idea :frazzled !

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:41 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Solveig wrote:
I would never have expected to many beautiful things unworn or uncombined
I'm surprised too when I look in this thread and thanks :)

hikari_evyon wrote:
Oh no! Is there any way to restore it?
I like the fabric too.

I hope I can make some kind of Tsukuri obi af it, but it is quite damaged, with many great spots and small holes...

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:58 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: woven, backlit nature
Geimyo: Mikuma Ryūnobu 美熊泖乃舞
It's been a while since I've been able to dress up in kimono. Today I decided to dress up for myself to go get groceries. I chose a vintage meisen komon because it's hitoe and a thin, crisp silk/linen blend. I don't normally get to wear it because none of my vintage juban have sleeves long enough for it so I dressed it like a yukata, with an obi which was a gift that I've never gotten a yukata that matches! :lol:

I apologize for the crappy mirror cellphone pics, I live alone so I had to do it myself.

I took these after I got home. It decided to rain on me for half my walk. Unfortunately I didn't have an umbrella and regretted deciding against bringing a michiyuki. It was really sunny when I left! Luckily the fabric didn't run, but it remained somewhat damp all afternoon.

Last edited by the Lady Ashuko on Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:57 pm 
Tomesode Shinzo
Tomesode Shinzo

LOVE the color combination, Ashuko-chan! And I have a serious "thing" for dragonflies, too. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:57 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Thank you! I was surprised how the bright yellow obi "cheered up" the muted kimono. The obi was actually a welcome gift from my host family because at the time I wanted to study entomology. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:35 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: Dragons/bamboo/water/bird
I think I might have too many canditates to this topic in my closet but here is at least few:

I have had this kimono about two years (a bit over most likely) and obi at least one and half year. I haven't use either one before.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:57 am 
Misedashi
Misedashi

Fav. Motif: ume blossoms
That rich red with gold looks so perfect for winter!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:26 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: sakura, bird, cho, water, star
I wore and did a couple things here that I've been meaning to do for YEARS.
- wore my pink Showa nagoya eagle obi. It's too short for me, but I suppose I can still sort of wear it.
- wore a lace collar layered on another collar
- wore western shoes and hat with kimono

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:36 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Kimono: 1 year 5 months
obi: 5 years
obiage: 1 year 5 months
obijime: 7 months
zori: 9 months, give or take
haneri: handmade 10 months ago

the only visible item that I'd worn before was my tabi!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:28 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

I have another coordinate that works for this challenge! I posted this outfit in the photo gallery too.

The only part of the outfit that I've used before is the obiage (possibly the zori but I don't keep track of that). The sha nagoya obi is from last years swap.

Search for:
Jump to: