Login * Member Blogs
FAQ *
   Search *
Member Stores
View unanswered posts
View active topics ::

IMPORTANT!

IMPORTANT NOTE: While email addresses are protected and hidden from view to both members and guest, if you have recently received unsolicited email contact from any member or former member, please forward it to us. Click to read more.

Becoming a member of the IG community is as simple as registering. To register, please click on "Login", and then "Register". Please note, registrations are activated manually by a moderator, so there may be a tiny delay in signing up and account activation. Registered, but having trouble with login? Please read this thread.

Members new and old, it's always a good time to re-acquaint yourself with the rules. New members, unsure about where to post stuff, or overwhelmed by the number of forums? Please check out the useful thread index.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: [Tutorial] Zori, thong, how to make them wider
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:01 pm 
Jimae Geiko
Jimae Geiko

Hi everyone,
yesterday I got my new zori and handbag set :-)
Lovely but......how the hell should I squeeze my big feet under and between this thongs........

As mentioned in some other threads it is possible to widen the thongs and thats what I did this evening.
Belive me, it´s easy, all you need is:

A pair of zori:

professional tools.............or something like this (extremely helpful!):

This zori have two openings at the bottom, I only took care of the small one "under the toes":

It is simply fixed with a clamp........:

.....which can be easily opened:

Under it I found two ribbons fixed with a square knot. If you untie them you will see two metal
clamps to hold the knots in place:

The ribbons are drawn through the clamps, just pull them out and open the first knot of the square knot:

You need not open the last knot, just pull the thongs from the other side as wide as you like/need it.
In this picture you can see the comparison of before and after:

Now do everything again in the opposite direction (knotting, pulling the ribbons under the clamp,
square knot, close the opening, fix the clamp) Thats it!

And here they are: my new zori, my feet and the handbag:

I do not know if all zori are built the same but I hope this shows how easy it is to make (this) zori fit better.
Maybe someone is going to make some geta wider and will add a few pictures about it here.

:)

Last edited by Kokoro on Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:11 am 
Onesan
Onesan

Fav. Maiko: Fukuho
Fav. Geiko: Mamesuzu
Fav. Motif: Ume
Why couldn't you have posted this earlier in the day :P !  Lol!  That was actually my task this morning with the zori I just baught.  Still not 100%, but I think if I just wear them casually around the house a little bit, they'll stretch enough to be comfortable :) .
That was very helpful though, or, would've been if I decided to wait till tonight.  But like the puppy who pees on the floor when happy, I was like "Oh!  Zori!  I fix!"
Mine were tied not with ribbon-y material though, mine was rope... and at 1st I thought it was actually super glued.  Gahh!
Do you think they'll stretch, or "wear in" a little bit???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:22 am 
Onesan
Onesan

Amelie wrote:
Kotone wrote:
Mine were ok on the second time I wore them :)

OoOoOoOo!  That's encouraging then... because the only part where they're a LITTLE bit tight,  is still at the thong a little bit, and the part of the strap that is on the outside of the foot.  Which is why I think they'll be ok after a few wears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:33 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Kokoro, how did you fix the staple back after you are done?

I'm still waiting for my zori...hope it comes soon because I'm getting a bit worried though it's been only 11 days...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:39 am 
Onesan
Onesan

Furisode Fan wrote:
Kokoro, how did you fix the staple back after you are done?

When I fixed mine today... I took a hammer, and hammered it back in like an itty bitty nail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:21 am 
Onesan
Onesan

thanks sooo much! I still have to do that to my zori, but since I haven't had the chance to wear them again yet I havne't gotten up th emotivation to do it. Also, because I was afraid to hurt them. They are very pretty versatile zori- pastel colors with butterflies and flowers painted on them. I really didn't want to mess them up! Now I have confidence, though :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:03 am 
Jimae Geiko
Jimae Geiko

SONGBIRD516 I know how you feel. Yesterday evening I had a look at them and it was like "now or never". The nail scissors I used has a strong and tapered end which I used to get carefully under the clamp to open the cover (I didn´t want to leave opening marks).

Furisode Fan I just pressed the clamp back at its place, using the wider part of the scissors to get a larger contact surface.

Kotone:
Quote:
Why couldn't you have posted this earlier in the day

Kotone, I just feel so bad for being late  :P  :P  :P
And about stretching: I agree with Amelie. I have a second pair of zori and wearing them in the house worked very good.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:17 am 
First Mate Boobie-san (Mod)
First Mate Boobie-san (Mod)

Fav. Motif: apples, tsujigahana
If the thong is tight, something to keep in mind is that I've noticed that not all Japanese people (especially the older ones) tend to not wear the zori all the way on so the thong is flush against the skin between their toes. They wear them with the foot a bit further back - I think it might be to alleviate this problem a bit since the foot isn't in the thong all the way.

I hope that description makes sense!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:02 pm 
Dingo ate my Baby! (admin)

Fav. Motif: Matsu
I noticed that Fumiya wore hers that way when she was sitting down, she mentioned that it was more comfortable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:40 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Geiko: Komomo, Kimika
Fav. Motif: waves, leaves, ume, rope...
Thank you very much for this very clear and usefull tutorial, Kokoro-san!  :)

Kotone wrote:
Amelie wrote:
Kotone wrote:
Mine were ok on the second time I wore them :)

OoOoOoOo!  That's encouraging then... because the only part where they're a LITTLE bit tight,  is still at the thong a little bit, and the part of the strap that is on the outside of the foot.  Which is why I think they'll be ok after a few wears.

When I bought my first pair of zori, the japanese lady working at the store told me it always hurt a little at the begining. The zori quick beacame comfortable after I wore them at home during a few days. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:57 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: Tanuki, fukiyose, take-suzume
Wonderful stuff  :lovelove

This should be added to the Kimono & Kitsuke Knowledge Bank!  (I've also posted a note to that effect to the sticky "Topics from the Kitsuke Forum You Think Should Be Moved...".)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:23 pm 

Fav. Motif: Matsu
Thanks for the suggestion!
Moved to tutorials

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:29 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Hi, for those who repaired their zori themselves, was the staple secure after you hammered it back? Have you walked around in them?

I took mine to two cobblers; one refused to do anything, the second wanted to charge me $7 for glueing the flap back. I'm a bit scared of doing it myself because I only own one pair of zori.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:06 am 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Don't be. Pry the staple out as straight as you can with a flat-head screwdriver, make the necessary adjustments, then press or hammer it back into the existing holes. This is not rocket science, I am confident you can do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:30 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: sakura, bird, cho, water, star
what about for zori where the bottom has no flap to open? is there any way to stretch them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:20 pm 
Jimae Geiko
Jimae Geiko

Hm, the only zori I own have both this flaps. It sounds as if wearing is the only way to stretch them. Sorry but maybe the others could help you more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:16 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: Tanuki, fukiyose, take-suzume
Any suggestions on where to get replacement staples - and how to put them in?

A friend gave me her zori so that I could lengthen the straps. Unfortunately the staples had rusted, and the moment I started prying - gently - at the first one, it snapped and broke.

Help!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:33 pm 
Jimae Geiko
Jimae Geiko

I imagine the sort of staples they use for upholstering furniture. You would probably need one of those more industrial-sized staple guns, but they're not that expensive and they're pretty useful to have around. They're available at prettymuch every hardware store or stores with a hardware department.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:44 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Thanks for this tutorial, it worked like a charm :content:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:25 pm 
Tayuu
Tayuu

Fav. Maiko: Umehisa, Mameharu, both Ayano
Fav. Geiko: Kotoha, Fukuyû, Ichiraku
Fav. Motif: Tsuta, Kiku leaves, Same
Just an addition for the blond-at-heart as myself... Don't pull on the thongs too hard after you've untied the string! You will end up with the full length of the string out of the hole.

If so, pushing them back in with a large nail works well :oops: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:01 pm 
First Mate Ika-san (Admin)
First Mate Ika-san (Admin)

Fav. Maiko: Chicken maiko!
Fav. Geiko: Mao, Mameyoshi
Fav. Motif: Squid, tachibana, Tokaido
Geimyo: Tsukinohana - 月の花
Oh, this tutorial just made my day! I got a pair of really nice zori in the mail this morning but they've never been worn and were wrapped up with newspapers from 1949, so they're -really- stiff and hurt my feet likewhoa. I was afraid to stretch them out too much by wearing them, since I'm worried it'll damage them. Hopefully loosening the hanao like this will solve my problem!

edit: Thank you so much for these instructions, they were totally easy to follow and my zori fit perfectly now that I can move my feet forward a little more! <3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:35 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Geiko: Umeha & Suzuha!
Fav. Motif: Momiji!!!!
I know I'm bringing this thread back from the dead but I have a question:

What if the zori are old(duh, rachel, they are all old...) and the sole has hardened, and the little toe flap has cracked??? Im a little worried about trying to pry it out because the rubber now is very hard and looks like ceramic and is cracked in places. It looks/feels very delicate.

Also, any updates on a good place to get new or relatively new zori of the 24+ cm size? Got big American feet here..

Post subject: Re: :k [Tutorial] Zori, thong, how to make them wider
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:33 pm 
Onesan
Onesan

Fav. Motif: Waves, water, and Sakura
Thankyou for this Tutorial Kokoro I jsut got my zori and made them wider and now they are a perfect fit and nice and comfy!

I also want to add that you can escape the professional tool if you have one of those needles for when you do pottery or even sharp eye brow tweezers... all you need to do is get under nail to raise it, and then any set of pliers will do to pull the rest of it out.

KIMONO OBSESSION: The Kimono Collection and Adventures of Polina

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:09 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Maiko: Mameharu, Katsuya, Mamehana
Fav. Geiko: Mamechiho, Tsuneyuu,Umeha
Fav. Motif: fish, ume, plaid, shibori
You can use this same method with geta as well! the only thing is that instead of pulling up the staple, you'll have to find a way to get the small nails out. I used a snap hair clip (the flat kind) to get underneath the rim of the covers, and then a pair of pliers to pull the nail out once it was up a bit. Once the cover for the rope is off, just proceed as above, and when you're done nail it back together! (if that made no sense, just let me know, and I will try to take some pictures)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:14 am 
Furisode Shinzo
Furisode Shinzo

Fav. Geiko: Wakana
Fav. Motif: Itomaki Hanabishi Higaki
Ah, I took pics when I had to widen my geta, but they're all on my hard drive to my computer whos motherboard recently died. Both of my desktops died due to motherboard issues recently!
-_-;

Post subject: Re: [Tutorial] Zori, thong, how to make them wider
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:21 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Motif: wave pattern and flowers
I tried using this tutorial, which has helped some despite the fact three nails are now broken... And it has helped some. Is it safe to try adjusting the things from the back? Mine has a similar opening tacked shut just before the heel. Also, a large school-eraser or mini stapler works equally well if you don't have a hammer. I used a few tools from my manicure set to get the front open and loosen the tie.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:36 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Motif: sakura/usagi
Now I feel like a dolt. Why didn't I see this thread before?! Oh well. Thanks for making it!! :D

As an additional note: I found using needlenose pliers to pull the staple straight out worked really well. They were also handy for picking the knot apart inside the shoe. :bunbun:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:10 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

I had a similar problem with a new pair of geta I bought. Unlike the zori, there was only 1 staple at the toes, and it was pretty easy to pry up. Inside I found string tied in a box knot, and it was simple work to untie it, loosen the straps, retie the knot, and push the staple back in. I did add a bit of glue to the string so that the string and the flap would stay closed. When I opened the flap, it seemed that the string was loosely adhered to the flap. It wasn't very sticky- it was kind of like a sticky note.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:55 am 
Onesan
Onesan

Fav. Motif: bamboo, yabane, ivy, tachibana
Another thankyou for this tutorial - I adjusted two pairs of geta and a pair of zori this weekend with this method :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:45 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Tsuruha and Ayano
Fav. Geiko: Umeha!!
Fav. Motif: Ume, shibori, and chidori ^^
I thought, after reading through this tutorial, that I'd have it covered when I went and bought a pair of zori from a local antique store. They were long enough but too tight in the hanao and I thought, "Hey, taking them apart won't be too hard!"

Boy, was I wrong. Mine are not tied with little cotton strings but big, HURKING rope. It's cut so short that I cannot untie it to loosen the straps. The rope is also getting really frayed from trying to pull the knot apart with tweezers and needle-nosed pliers. I am working at the toe flap, not the back under the heel, and I'm thinking about giving up on getting the hanao stretched/loosened from the toe. There is more rope under the heel, probably enough to untie them all the way....does this sound like a bad idea? I can post pictures if anyone wants, I already took some.

I hope that I can fix these because they're black with red snake-skin patterned sides and stripes on the hanao and not only are they brand new, they are really shiny. I'm a sucker for shiny stuff.

EDIT: Never mind, I finally got the knots loose enough to pull the hanao out a bit without completely untying them. They fit wonderfully now and I've been wearing them for a while, stretching them out. They feel very nice if a bit slippery.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:19 pm 
Onesan
Onesan

Fav. Motif: bamboo, yabane, ivy, tachibana
Mine were all fraying rope too, Kyasarin - there was a bit of muttering and cursing going on! Glad you got yours sorted in the end.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:15 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Maiko: Fukunao
Fav. Geiko: Fukuhina, kikutsuru
Fav. Motif: ume, momiji, matsu, hane
Geimyo: Kuyuri 九百合
Ok so, the new zori I just got were a size 22 :unsure: and I would wear a 23.5 or 24...sad. So, after following everyone's instructions about the staple tack, and rope, I managed to fix mine with a few more tricks.

1.the nails were rusted and broke
2.the rope inside had frayed and cracked'
3. not much length to pull out :(

SO! when I managed to open and widen the straps without pulling them out, I then took a piece of jute rope (tiny tiny) and tied it around the remaining strings, several times to make sure it wouldn't come loose. I closed up the flap, and took the smallest screw I could find with a flat head. about 1cm or less, and screwed it into the zori where the hole was :katana: :katana: Everything has worked out well. No breaking, no hanao coming out of the hole, nothing :lovelove

So hope that helps a little more as well. A little troubleshooting goes a long way :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:56 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: Tiger, Mountains, etc
Geimyo: Setsuko
This tutorial is AWESOME!!! I can now wear 3 pairs of my zori and a pair of tatami geta WAY more comfortably!

I think someone mentioned it before, but needle nose pliers work awesome wonders.
These look like the kind I have, but I'm sure any one will do. ^_^

I also used the flat part on the side to push the staple back in, then slipped the shoe on and carefully stepped on a hard floor in lieu of using a hammer to mash it back in.

My Kimono Collection! http://www.flickr.com/photos/bornahorse/sets/
My Kimono Ensemble Gallery! http://www.flickr.com/photos/72600799@N03/sets/

DeviantArt account: http://bornahorse.deviantart.com/
Srrdian Dreams, a site for my original novel(s): http://www.srrdiandreams.yolasite.com/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:30 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Motif: Cranes
(this is a little bit offtopic but it just came to my mind) I gotta say it's the first time I see someone wearing zori so close and they seem pretty narrow compare to the feet wideness, so are they comfty to wear anyways?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:58 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Maiko: How could I pick just one?
Fav. Geiko: See above.
Fav. Motif: Phoenix and most other birds
I don't know about zori but my pinky toes hang off the sides of my geta. I didn't even notice it until I looked down and saw it. I can't feel it much. It doesn't bother me at all. From what I've been told that's normal.

Lori

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:20 am 
Jimae Geiko
Jimae Geiko

It really depends on how good your zori fit. It´s a pain to widen hanao by wearing which is sometimes the only possibility you have.
I own a pair of zori with wide hanao and rain sole (no opening grip sole) and they are soooooooo comfy, I love wearing them :)

I´m the one with the purple tabi :smil3:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:57 am 
Minarai-san
Minarai-san

Fav. Motif: Abstract, leaves, insects
I've adjusted zori before no problem, but I have some new geta that don't have a metal piece to tie the rope around. So there's nothing stopping the straps from popping right out of the shoe except for the knot in the rope. But I can't get the knot fat enough... it keeps sliding through. Any suggestions on a type of knot?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:45 am 
Jimae Geiko
Jimae Geiko

No idea about the knot but maybe you could use a small piece of metal (maybe from a paper clip) etc. to make the knot around and that would hinder the hanao from being pulled out. Like using the wood part of a match + thread for easter egg hanger assembly (know what I mean?) :)

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:12 pm 
Minarai-san
Minarai-san

Fav. Motif: Abstract, leaves, insects
Thank you! I ended up getting some washers at the hardware store that had a smaller center hole, but were too big to fit through the hanao hole. Whew. I hope it stays. :P

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:43 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Toshiteru,Ichiwaka,Kotomi
Fav. Geiko: Ichiyuri,Kikutsuru,Kimika
Fav. Motif: Hoshi,Tennyo,Kochou,Hasu
Geimyo: Setsuyou 晢百蓉
gingerbread-san, that washer idea is ingenious! Another idea would be to try a large steel bead or try using an industrial-strength staple/nailgun to give the strings something to hold onto, but the washer idea is a lot safer and doesn't involve puncturing/damage!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:24 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

I've never opened the back flaps on my zori, but I do like to move the toe strap up a bit. I used to have a pair of zori that were slightly too small, so I fixed it by lifting the toe strap so I could get my foot in and have them fit better. I secured it with a tiny drop of super glue because I didn't trust my knots. The only downside was that the toe strap was very uncomfortable between my toes. It kept rubbing and started to hurt after a little while. I tried wrapping some fabric around it but it didn't seem to do any good.

I like to lift up the straps of any zori I get, because usually I can fit my toes in, but they are so tight that it makes my toes splay out which I think looks unseemly.

Search for:
Jump to: