Login * Member Blogs
FAQ *
   Search *
Member Stores
View unanswered posts
View active topics ::

IMPORTANT!

IMPORTANT NOTE: While email addresses are protected and hidden from view to both members and guest, if you have recently received unsolicited email contact from any member or former member, please forward it to us. Click to read more.

Becoming a member of the IG community is as simple as registering. To register, please click on "Login", and then "Register". Please note, registrations are activated manually by a moderator, so there may be a tiny delay in signing up and account activation. Registered, but having trouble with login? Please read this thread.

Members new and old, it's always a good time to re-acquaint yourself with the rules. New members, unsure about where to post stuff, or overwhelmed by the number of forums? Please check out the useful thread index.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: How to make a Hanhaba Obi?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:36 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Motif: Nadeshiko
Hello Everyone, I'm thinking of trying to make a Hanhaba Obi. Has anyone seen a pattern/directions for making one? I have several panels from a vintage silk kimono that someone unfortunately cut up and sold by the piece. :ohno: The pattern is a lovely Dragonfly and Nadeshiko motif. Image The muted colours are sublime. I only wish that I could have purchased this kimono complete and uncut.

Last edited by Angela on Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: How to make a Hanhaba Obi?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:01 pm 
First Mate Ika-san (Admin)

Fav. Maiko: Chicken maiko!
Fav. Geiko: Mao, Mameyoshi
Fav. Motif: Squid, tachibana, Tokaido
Geimyo: Tsukinohana - 月の花
There's no real need for a pattern because it's basically just a gigantic rectangle. They're usually about 6" wide and 130" long, approximately.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:17 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

:] Thank you Moonblossom. I was unsure of the measurements. I'm thinking of using gray silk brocade and gray silk velvet with the kimono panels to make the Obi. More photos to come.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:31 pm 

Fav. Maiko: Chicken maiko!
Fav. Geiko: Mao, Mameyoshi
Fav. Motif: Squid, tachibana, Tokaido
Geimyo: Tsukinohana - 月の花
Just keep in mind that dragonflies and nadeshiko are both very summery motifs, and velvet sounds like a very warm, wintery texture.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:34 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Hummmm, a good point. :oops: Looking at my fabric box, I also have some pale pink silk that could work with the gray brocade, and I could make it reversible.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:33 pm 
Kamuro
Kamuro

Fav. Motif: flowers, patterns
A shame the original poster's images are no longer working but they were posted a while back! Anyhow, I'm adding to this thread since it's related to making a hanhaba obi, namely out of a nagoya obi.

I find so few hanhaba obis compared to nagoya obis for sale online and I saw Naomi had posted a photo of a Hanhaba Obi recycled from Nagoya Obi, and then I saw claw789 said in the Fixing serious creasses thread where Mikayo noticed her nagoya obi was in fact originally a hanhaba obi.

claw789 wrote:
Depends - was it converted to hanhaba because of stains or wear & tear?

It's easy to convert a nagoya into hanhaba, but not hanhaba in nagoya. If it's a Fukuro Nagoya obi (aka kyo-bukuro) that's only recently been stitched you might be able to get the mark out.

So just how easy is it to convert a hanhaba obi into a nagoya obi?

I did stumble across the obi deconstruction and reconstruction [img hvy] thread where Whitethistle realised her supposed hanhaba obi originally was a nagoya obi.. but that seemed more like a reversed puzzle, with a mystery aspect!

One simply trims off the excess edges off the nagoya obi and tries to neatly sew those together, and voilà a hanhaba obi? I've not seen a nagoya up close though, so I'm uncertain how that triangular section where it is doubled can be tackled.

Hm, it seems some these two obi types can differ in length too, which I assume can also cause some issues. Nagoya: between 345 to 315 cm, and hanhaba: 330 cm.
Or just which bit of the nagoya obi is it that is longer, if longer than a hanhaba? The wider bit or the narrow bit, or a bit of both?

Has anyone else re-sewn and rejoiced to show and tell? :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:40 pm 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Fav. Motif: Kiku, Momiji, Usagi, Karabana
I think it would only work if the hanhaba had the same fabric on both sides, so in those cases I suspect it was originally a fukuro or Nagoya, and then folded in half permanently.

For the OP, you do want to make sure that none of your seams will be in places that are very visible when the obi is worn (unless you're deliberately going for a patchwork look).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:27 am 
Kamuro
Kamuro

Fav. Motif: flowers, patterns
*nods to Sarcasm-hime*

I'll see if I can find some suitable nagoya obis to convert :)

Search for:
Jump to: