Login * Member Blogs
FAQ *
   Search *
Member Stores
View unanswered posts
View active topics ::

IMPORTANT!

IMPORTANT NOTE: While email addresses are protected and hidden from view to both members and guest, if you have recently received unsolicited email contact from any member or former member, please forward it to us. Click to read more.

Becoming a member of the IG community is as simple as registering. To register, please click on "Login", and then "Register". Please note, registrations are activated manually by a moderator, so there may be a tiny delay in signing up and account activation. Registered, but having trouble with login? Please read this thread.

Members new and old, it's always a good time to re-acquaint yourself with the rules. New members, unsure about where to post stuff, or overwhelmed by the number of forums? Please check out the useful thread index.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: [Mega Thread] Cleaning and maintenance
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:22 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Motif: Spring Blossoms
Somehow a grease stain got onto my furisode (how... I have no idea, but it looks like a food grease stain). Is there any way for me to get this out? I've heard people say to dampen it and use baby powder.. would this damage the kimono? There is no design in this area and it's creme colored.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:44 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: Ume, matsu
Absorbent paper on both sides, add pressure (use heavy books or something). As soon as you can. This should take out at least some of the grease. Repeat with fresh paper for optimal results. If you can get the grease to stick into the paper without more than touching the stain, try and remove as much as you can before the pressure treatment.

This should work for fresh to moderately fresh stains.

Baby powder has the risk of sticking into the fabric where you wouldn't want it, so it depends on the kimono's colour really. White or very pale area? I'd try it. Dark? Nope.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:57 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Unfortunately it didn't work. That's initially what I tried. Sadly it just made it worse and now it has a water stain it seems... [sighs] Thank you for your suggestion though.

Poor furisode.... :cry:

Post subject: Re: Cleaning grease out of silk kimono
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:17 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Oh my gosh, do you think perhaps I could save my furisode? :bunbun: It has a spot right on the back in this big BEIGE area. It couldn't have hit the black... no... it had to hit the beige. I made it slightly worse using water and there was a water mark after. 8O I love my furisode so much, so it would be great if I could remove this. The grease stain is a few days old now though... Anyone have experience with old grease stains, light colored silk kimonos and baby powder?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:32 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: maple leaf, bambo, butterflys
Plumblossom I suggest dry cleaning spotting. I took my hoari to the dry cleaners and they got my tomato stains out :lovelove but if the stain is old then they can't get it out with out damage :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:46 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Motif: Flowing water
I have had such luck washing kimonos in cold water in the bath tub. BUT... my last washing was a blue pinstripped one, it bled, the gold on the threading isn't the same, and ... it shrunk.
So.. now I am TOTALY freaked and afraid.

I have a vintage ro jinken kimono and I would like to clean it up, it has stains, and need the age washed out.
But I am soo afraid of ruining it, as I am realy realy attached to this one.

Any suggestions and input. I have never washed ro before either.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:51 pm 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Kira M.M, you can un-shrink a kimono, but it's a huge amount of work. You have to take it apart and carefully iron and stretch each piece, then re-sew it. If the kimono was really precious to you, it can be recovered. Jinken seems to shrink like crazy when washed- I have some jinken crepe that shrank by 40% in both directions when washed in cold water. 8O Ironing and stretching restored it nicely.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:42 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Motif: Flowing water
I am sooo paranoid...I sew OK.. but.. with something precious there is an added layer of fear... I tried to wash the kimono.. the dark blue/ black started to run., so I quickly added vinegar.. and took it out... then as I tried to hang it.. the one sleeve came undone.. I knew it needed some work but I thought it would hold... so it dried in a blanket in the sun.. paranoid about sun fading... and such...
I had to bring it in on account of rain...

How do I unshrink if I need to??
I haven't dared see what the damage is...

and then I only think what did they do back then...??? It seems sooo fragile a material.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:05 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

I just wanted to give everyone an update! I had a grease stain in my kimono that was at least a week old. Despite my fear and apprehension, I moistened the grease stain only and put baby powder on it. I let it sit overnight and checked it yesterday evening. The spot is barely visible, in fact it's so faint I was the only one who could find it and in that case I could just be imagining it. The spot is now gone with no damage to my kimono or the color (creme spot).

:katana:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:37 pm 
Onesan
Onesan

Fav. Motif: Waves, water, and Sakura
hibana wrote:
Kira M.M, you can un-shrink a kimono, but it's a huge amount of work. You have to take it apart and carefully iron and stretch each piece, then re-sew it. If the kimono was really precious to you, it can be recovered. Jinken seems to shrink like crazy when washed- I have some jinken crepe that shrank by 40% in both directions when washed in cold water. 8O Ironing and stretching restored it nicely.

how do you stretch?I had a shrinking problem with my tsukesage after i washed it... I have to redo the lining since thats the main shrinking part... but there is some of the gold stitching that looks like it might have done the same..

KIMONO OBSESSION: The Kimono Collection and Adventures of Polina

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:02 pm 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Fav. Geiko: Kimika, Komomo
Fav. Motif: water themes, flowers
Geimyo: Kaneyuki 鐘雪
Ok, I'm clear with you guys now with this: I have never tried this method on silk or a real kimono. With cotton I have tried it so it should be ok with a yukata you want to clean. I've cleaned my own aikido gi and a very bad conditioned gi with gall soap and they have gotten clean.

The gi that was in a really bad shape... I thought I'd never get it clean! Someone wanted to donate our aikido club a used gi to give to someone who needs it... it was quite a surprise that she hadn't washed it before she brought it. You can just imagine the smell when we opened the plastic bad it had been for about a few years according to the lady's story. Two years, never washed, closed bag, badly sweaty gi. The smell was terrible. Not to mention the collar edge had nearly turned to brown from the amount of sweat and who knows what. It was horrible, absolutely. Looking at it, we thought how could that lady ever think of donating it in such a condition.

Well, after a good wash, first with a paste made from water and the ordinary washing powder and then the second try with the gall soap, I got the stain away. Well, nearly, but since it had been there for years it was obvious it was not going to leave fully, but since it was only me who could still see the faint yellow mark on the collar it was good to be passed on to the next one.

The packaging of the gall soap says you should rub it on the stain, let it be there for a while and then do a normal wash. It should be affective against fruit, ink, ballpoint pens, grease, blood, sweat... etc. But this should not be used if the color will shift. Use only to materials that are color-fast! Gall soap is also skin friendly, you can use it with bare hands and it smells nice.

The Sewing Blog: http://lumikettusewing.blogspot.fi/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:14 pm 
Tayuu
Tayuu

Fav. Maiko: Umehisa, Mameharu, both Ayano
Fav. Geiko: Kotoha, Fukuyû, Ichiraku
Fav. Motif: Tsuta, Kiku leaves, Same
I thought yukata and, moreso, gi were machine-washable? I threw my gi in the machine countless times and never had a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:37 pm 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Fav. Geiko: Kimika, Komomo
Fav. Motif: water themes, flowers
Geimyo: Kaneyuki 鐘雪
Most of them are, but just to be on the safe side, I always rub a little of the gall soap on the sweat stains and then throw it in the washing machine. Comes out looking brand new^^. Sweat is easy to clean out of the gi... blood stains are a little bit different, they need the extra precausions.

The Sewing Blog: http://lumikettusewing.blogspot.fi/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:41 pm 
Tayuu
Tayuu

Wow, that's a hardcore gi you got!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:00 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Tsuruha and Ayano
Fav. Geiko: Umeha!!
Fav. Motif: Ume, shibori, and chidori ^^
Does anyone know exactly how to wash a silk haneri? It has skin stains on it (you know, just from wearing it) and I'm not sure what to do with it; I'd wash it in the washing machine (like in the cleaning haneri thread) but it is not synthetic and the edges are unfinished; I'm afraid it'll fray like heck. Should I wash it by hand? I can do that, I just....uh.....putitofftillthelastminuteandneeditcleanbytomorrow :oops:

So is hand wash in, say, Woolite and then air or line dry best?

ps: The haneri is white.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:44 am 
Tayuu
Tayuu

I'd use plain soap in the sink; most places recommend lukewarm water but from my general experience with silk, hot water is just fine.
Soak, press down a couple of times, rinse and squeeze until the water is clear.
Unravel it, lay it flat inside a doubled-up towel, roll the burrito, and press it gently.
Hang the silk until dry, then iron it and bast it again on your juban.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:41 pm 
Onesan
Onesan

Fav. Motif: Waves, water, and Sakura
is there a way to get rid of mold? I bought an obi from ryu and he failed to show the other side of the obi.... when i got it.... it had a lot of mold / dark sports that look like mold...

KIMONO OBSESSION: The Kimono Collection and Adventures of Polina

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:11 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Tsuruha and Ayano
Fav. Geiko: Umeha!!
Fav. Motif: Ume, shibori, and chidori ^^
Tahanala wrote:
I'd use plain soap in the sink; most places recommend lukewarm water but from my general experience with silk, hot water is just fine.
Soak, press down a couple of times, rinse and squeeze until the water is clear.
Unravel it, lay it flat inside a doubled-up towel, roll the burrito, and press it gently.
Hang the silk until dry, then iron it and bast it again on your juban.

Thank you Tahanala! :lovelove I'll do that this weekend if I have time (college application tiiiiiime is heeeere!)

Polinah I...have no idea. I got an obi recently that has stains on the back as well (on the inside of the otaiko part - not sure how that happened O_o) but as they are faint and cannot be seen anyways I'll just be thankful that the front side is pristine :eek:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:07 am 
Tayuu
Tayuu

Though I do twist the "burrito" with silk in it, never, ever twist silk alone to squeeze the water out. It will, at best, deform the silk, and at worse, break the fibres.
Unless you really are in a hurry, better line-dry it as early on as you can, since other ways will get wrinkles in it which you'll have to iron out afterwards.
Glad to be of help! :kitti:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:01 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: Tanuki, fukiyose, take-suzume
I managed to splash some amazake on my light-green iromuji recently. Luckily the spots are down towards the hem, and not at all noticeable if you're not looking closely. Still, I know they're there!

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to remove these spots, given that they contain fermented rice, (naturally occurring) sugar, and a small amount of sake? I've brushed off what solids remained after the amazake dried, but there are still whitish blotches...

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:18 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Motif: shibori or chirimen
Hello Chamekke,
I have a post on my kimono blog on using benzene to clean stains. You can see it herehttp://japanesetextiles.wordpress.com/2010/02/10/cleaning-kimonos/
if you like.
Dave

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:38 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: Tanuki, fukiyose, take-suzume
togei wrote:
Hello Chamekke,
I have a post on my kimono blog on using benzene to clean stains. You can see it herehttp://japanesetextiles.wordpress.com/2010/02/10/cleaning-kimonos/
if you like.
Dave

Ooh, that sounds promising. I'll give the benzene method a try.

Thank you for kindly sharing this with me - much appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:00 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Fukuyuu, Toshiteru
Fav. Geiko: Kotoha, Katsuyuki
Fav. Motif: chidori, waves, snow, ro, hiki
Im a little confused. There seems to be mixed experiences with washing/dry cleaning silk so I must know; is tap water ok on a small spot of the kimono to try and remove a stain, and how much of what kind of stain does dry cleaning actually take out? At prom last weekend I let my friend borrow my furisode and when she took it off there was a terrible stain on the lining that seems to have gone through a bit. I aired the whole thing out and we both thought that the stain was punch...But an hour ago I took it out again and realized: the punch was purple, and this stain does not look like purple punch. Brace yourself :x : I called my other friend freaking out and asked him what I should do and he asked what it could be if not punch, so I smelled the stain....... :puke It is some sort of bodily fluid and it is an awkward brown/tan color. I could cry and strangle someone at the same time right now, and even though I love my friend Im torn between slapping her and asking what this is all about or making her pay for it in some way. Im so worried that it wont come out, but even if there is some water stains, I still want to at least wash it out. The kimono is perfect other than this and I cant even look at it now because it makes me cry of shame and betrayal :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
So which should I attempt for rinzu silk:
Dry cleaning or a spot of water
I am DESPARATE to get rid of this so anything will help

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:52 am 
Tayuu
Tayuu

If you're hinting at period blood, say so! Or did she poop herself? :twitch:

Wait for more experienced members to give their advice, but I think the place were you'd wash the kimono would keep a water stain worse than the original problem. I guess a dry-cleaner experienced in kimono would be your best bet, but be careful about those that aren't specialised. At worse, and if it is within your budget, maybe you could manage to have it sent to a specialist? I think I remember someone got help from Ichiroya in this matter.

Your friend should definitely pay for arranging the problem. If she's honest, she will probably offer to do so; after all, you saved her a big expense by providing her with a prom dress, not to mention basic courtesy.
I assume you had stressed out the value and fragility of the furisode? She should have been even more careful not to have any "accidents" in these conditions.

Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to lend your furisode if you have such strong feelings about it? I know there are many of my kimono I would not let anyone else wear except for dress-up, because of this. Better disappoint a friend because of one's self admitted anal-retentiveness than losing her to harsh feelings over a piece of fabric.
I hope everything will settle fine, but the lesson is well learned for me: Never let someone else wear something you won't stand being damaged. (Oh, I sound like a selfish b*tch!)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:04 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Fukuyuu, Toshiteru
Fav. Geiko: Kotoha, Katsuyuki
Fav. Motif: chidori, waves, snow, ro, hiki
I think I'll find a speckialist who knows what they're doing. If ichiroya can do it I think I'll definately pay the price for them... I know they're good at what they do. I'm not sure what to do because I don't want to put her on the spot and embarass her, but I did lend it to her on the condtion that she knew it's value and I have trusted her with so many things. I guess now I know not to let her touch kimono which is sad but this is ridiculous :mad: it amlmost seems as though she's got a medical problem and if that's the case she should not have worn it anyway. I would have been cool about lending her something else or helping her find something if she would have just told me. I'm her best friend so I understand that things happen but now I am left stupified by wondering if I should worry about her or say something. I think she knows that the stain is something else too because when I discovered it and started crying she immediately jumped to the "punch" conclusion and tried to move on (she did, however, offer to pay for cleaning and I will take her up on that) The worst possible case is that I dry clean it and end up also having to have a specialist line it again for me. At this point I am SOOOO glad i did not lend her a hiki since a stain on one of those would have ruined our relationship completely...
Oke, rant over :sigh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:43 am 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Fav. Geiko: kotoha
Fav. Motif: asanoha
i saw this on one of them highly ad places with weird pics. i cant stay away!

but i saw this and had to copy paste!

Aluminum Foil as Wrinkle Remover

To get wrinkles out of silk, wool, and rayon clothes that can’t take direct heat, place a piece of foil on your ironing board, then lay the garment flat over it. With the steam button down, pass the iron three to four inches over the fabric several times. Wet heat radiating from the foil helps smooth out wrinkles.

i wonder if it works on kimono?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:10 am 
Kamuro
Kamuro

Fav. Motif: waves, kiku
I couldn't find what I was looking for in the other threads so I'll ask it here. I just received a juban today that is synthetic and unlined. It has tiny maple leaves, streams and grasses all over it. Most of the design is part of the fabric but quite a few of the leaves are painted on. There are no real spots or discolorations to speak of but I was wondering if anyone had experience is washing/spot cleaning or freshening synthetic material that's been painted. My gut instinct is to never wash it because of the paint but it is a juban so it's going to need cleaning at some point. Any tips would be great.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:29 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Maiko: How could I pick just one?
Fav. Geiko: See above.
Fav. Motif: Phoenix and most other birds
Are there any tips for cleaning, maintaining and storing kimono with padded hems?

Post subject: Cleaning Kimono of Questionable Origin
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:44 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Motif: blue hydrangea
This is going here since any cleaning methods recommended would also work on silk and silk tans of questionable origin. It is best to find our if the mystery stain comes out before starting sewing or repairs. Please move this if this is in the wrong spot.

OK, so I got to Ragstock and mom gave me an early Christmas gift of some used kitsuke. Since the whole department reeked of mildew, she also helped me sniff test and check for tears, but when we got home and I washed my new used white brocade juban in Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps Pure Castile Lavender to de-funk it and found several stains. I haven't taken a seam opener to it yet to check, but I'm amusing it's silk since I'm less likely to damage a synthetic if I treat it as if it were silk then if I assume it's synthetic and find it was actually silk. Are there any recommendation for what I should try on the stains before I look into dyes to hide the damage? It may be Japanese, but it was only $8 so I bought it with a backup plan.

The stains are: a yellowy rusty sort of color near the hem, a dark grayish brown near one cuff in a tiny speckley sort of pattern, and an odd pen-like black on the back of one sleeve.

edit: A burn test has told me that the juban is in fact a synthetic. It melts and burns at the same time. I unfortunately also know now that I must have got an old lady juban because the rusty looking stains REAK of menthol, eucaliptus, and ginseng, so I suspect that ankles and elbows were treated with a muscle rub like Tiger Balm. I am currently testing a small patch wit orange scented Goo Gone witch I hope will break down any wax component of the stain without breaking down my material.

Also, now that the new obi is clean and dry, I have found discoloration around the edges. Since it is a full width, if the silk cleaning tips fail, I can roll the edges in about a half a centimeter on each side to make it fully usable, but cleaning with the lavender soap(natural anti-microbial) took out the patina and gave me nice bright lush peacocks and blossoms (mixed season I think). I used bath towels to gently roll the obi in to soak away the extra moisture without doing something as drastic as twisting the stiff brocade and air dried then ironed with a pressing cloth. The high calcium content in the local water has left it super stiff too, and since I immersed the whole thing, no water spots. Then again, it was from Ragstock, so it could have easily disintegrated before I got it dry, so I was willing to gamble.

Last edited by yumehime on Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Cleaning Kimono of Questionable Origin
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:17 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

I have not tried any of these, but I found this on the Web and it seemed to have a lot of things to try. I know these are for known stains, but having a go at some of them may produce results.

Let us know if any of them work for you. :kawaii:

I'm gonna tell you how can save that $200.00 blouse for only $1.50.

Now, obviously there's a lot of ways to stain silk, so I'm gonna show you a couple of different ways to get the stains out. For example, if you spill coffee or tea on your silk, then you're gonna wanna sponge a little lukewarm water on the area. And then take a little glycerin and rub it right on the affected area. Right after that, let it sit for about 30 minutes, and then rinse it with warm water.

And if that doesn't work then go ahead and use dry cleaning fluid on it.

Now, we're all familiar with the deodorant stains, and in order to get these out just diluting ammonia will work.

But for a more stubborn discolorations, you're gonna wanna try some crushed aspirin, and some cream of tartar and just some warm water. And mix that together, apply it to the area, let it sit for about 20 minutes, and then wash it off with water.

Now, alcohol stains demand immediate attention, the sooner the better. For fresh alcohol stains, just sponging it with warm water should do the trick.

But, if it's already started to turn brown, and started to set then just sponge it again with warm water, dampen the area, put glycerin on it let it sit for 30 minutes, and rinse it with warm water again.

But for really stubborn alcohol stains using equal parts denatured alcohol and ammonia, use that to scrub the area, and then rinse it with water completely to make sure you get all the chemicals off, and you should be good.

Now, most importantly, remember that before you put any harsh chemicals on your silk you want to test it first on a hidden seam, just to make sure you don't ruin the entire thing.

Also remember to avoid using vinegar, because it will affect the silk fibers.

Whatever you do, do not apply concentrated ammonia to your silk. Always add more water to the ammonia solution. This will help guard the color.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:16 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Gramma to the rescue! I realized that some of the fabric I call vintage is the same stuff she would have called new and trendy, so I called her to see if she had any stain removal tips after raising 3 girls. She told me that 20 Mule Team Borax was good for everything from dirty cloth baby diapers to delicate and safe for silk, and that she still used it for her laundry. At 115 years of use and having the bonus of being all natural, it was worth a try, and has lifted some of the color and smell from the stains. I have only tried it on the white poly juban, so I can't say if it will play nicely with dyes, but it seems like a good option if you have a garment that may be ruined if the stain won't come out.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:22 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Maiko: Mamechiho
Fav. Geiko: Umeha
Fav. Motif: Usagi
I've read all the cleaning threads listed so far, and the comments here. Is there anything you think I should do specifically to try to restore this Taisho furisode, or is it a hopeless cause?

I am not expecting it to be wearable and pristine when I'm done. Only presentable for a museum. I am not above cleaning it with q-tips and makeup sponges, as I've done with stained uchikake before. However, the uchikake I restored was synthetic. This is clearly hand-painted silk, and very old, slightly stiff silk at that. I have to take it apart anyways if I restore the kinran, but I need to determine how salvageable the kimono is before spending the money on real kinran. The original kinran is all intact as far as silk and rice paper goes, and it needs sewing down again, but the gold has almost entirely worn off with age. I think some of the browning is from age, since it's an even tan colour, but others are greyish-brown spots. It's hard to see in photos since some are faint compared to the deadleaf yellow colour. What should I do?

You can see more photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/50390067@N03/sets/72157624005541165/

I also have a tomesode from the same lot. It's early Showa, I think, since the patterns aren't mirrored and the lining is red. It has white marks on the sleeves and neck. How do I get these out? It's otherwise pristine.

NOTE TO ALL: I washed an early Showa haneri in cold water, thinking the kinran, being so thin, was synthetic- plastic. It wasn't. REAL KINRAN WILL FALL APART IN WATER. FUUUUUUUU- x.x I have to re-embroider the whole thing to restore it. Ugh. For that much trouble, I'm getting a silk haneri to make a replica. That haneri was synthetic, and Taisho/early Showa synthetics crack with age. As in, the fabric will tear like thin paper along folded edges, wet or not.

Side note: is it unusual that this furisode and a tomesode from the same era is around 66" long? The wingspan is about 48". The crest on the furisode is ivy, and the tomesode is a Taira butterfly. <3 There are tiny holes about 1.5" apart a foot down from the shoulder on the sleeves. Matched up, the sleeves would have maybe a 2" tuck. Could it have been a hikizuri once? The crests on the furisode are not dyed that way. They are cut from silk and carefully adhered to the kimono. The ones on the tomesode are dyed.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:13 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: woven, backlit nature
Geimyo: Mikuma Ryūnobu 美熊泖乃舞
http://www.hakuyosha.com/

This dry cleaners in Honolulu (on East Manoa near Manoa Marketplace) is a Japanese company that offers Kimono cleaning services. I haven't tried them yet, but I'm eager to.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:54 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Ayano
Fav. Geiko: Umeha, Mamechiho
Fav. Motif: Water, Wistera
I have a mystery mark on my new houmongi. :gah: I didn't know where to post, so I thought this was the best place. It's tiny, and I haven't got a clue what it is. We went outside for some pictures, came back inside & there it was.

I've washed a kimono before, my furisode, but it's all embroidery & this houmongi is yuzen with a bit of embroidery...

If I'm quick, with multiple rinses in the tub, the dye work should be ok right? But one of my concerns is that there is a teeny tiny bit of gold leaf work. Just ume lining stuff, but I think I remember reading that the rice glue is water soluble? :ohno:

Here's pics of the stain, right in the middle of my left shoulder. :gah:

I guess the upside is this stain is only a few weeks old & seems like a glancing scrape on the fabric & not deeply set right?

I want to wear this kimono to an event in just under two weeks time, so I need to get this amended. It has a few superficial marks on the hemline, so I kinda want to get it cleaned up anyway.

What do I dooooo? :gah: Just wash it as I did the furisode, multiple water changes w/ gentle soap & vinegar in the last rinse? (Made the colours come up lovely.) But then I also heard that vinegar can change the nature of the fibers...

What kind of attention should I give this stain? It's new & not deeply set, so hopefully it'll come out ok... but the yuzen & the gold leaf... GAH. :gah: HALP.

When I think of Japan, I think of the colour Red.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:23 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

I washed some things with gold leafing on them in plain cold water, and all of it came off! o.o I cleaned an uchikake by hand with q-tips dipped in water and a tiny* bit of Carbona specific to what I thought the stain was, with cotton balls to soak up moisture. I tested it on the inside of a sleeve first though. Some dyes I've found run, and others stay put. Good luck! <3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:01 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Wakana, Ayano
Fav. Geiko: Wakana, Kotoha
Fav. Motif: Bamboo, Matsu, Ume, Sakura
If I were you I would try just spot cleaning it... IMO it's probably the safest way.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:24 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Will spot cleaning it with q-tips and sponges leave tide marks though? I would hate to make it worse with a big brown water ring... I always thought that would just be 'moving the dirt around.'

Argh, am terrified to start! :ermum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:33 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Motif: kikku, ume, camellia, shibori
I want this kimono for some time now (talking about a couple of years ... maybe 3) ... the pattern is so beautiful and the color, too. And it is my size :smil3:

http://www.ichiroya.com/item/list3/157304/

BUT ... there is always a but .... there is Stain A. Do you guys think it is possible to make that smudge vanish? Or does it look like it's there to stay forever?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:26 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Well, I went at the stain with some wool & delicate soap with a green sponge & the green colour of the sponge got into the silk. :gah: Quickly averted that with a white, acid free sponge & the green came out.

I managed to get most of the stain out except two dark spots but now either the area is caked with white soap... or the yellow dye has completely leeched out of the silk. :gah: There is also a slight tide ring.

Leaving it for a day. Absolutely devastated. That kimono was FLAWLESS when I bought it. Might show everyone pics afterwards.

:angerburst :gah: :angerburst :gah: :angerburst :gah: :angerburst :gah:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:17 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Ok, UPDATE.

The white area feels very soft. I don't know if its caked soap in the fabric, or that my scrubbing has made the fabric slightly 'downy.' It looks that way. Most important thing is that I don't know if the white is now colourless silk, or white soap that I may be able to remove.

The stain, including the tide ring is just over the circumference of a soup can.

I don't know what to do! I have a feeling the original stain was bug guts. :x And I looked in a cleaning book which advised generic bath soap to clean out the proteins. My mother suggested I use a wool & delicates syrup. Problem is it 'clings' in the fabric quite easily and it seems I cannot budge it out of the fabric.

Should I try it again with bath soap & hope that the previous soap comes out?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:04 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Ayano, Toshiteru, Katsuhina
Fav. Geiko: Kikuyu, Fukuhina,Tsuruha
Fav. Motif: Susuki Grass w/ Dew, Koi
Geimyo: Koiteru 鯉輝
Ok Lizzie is having problems. :ohno:

I got my kinchaku today and it absolutely wreaked of smoke. We have cold front pushing thought that is bringing rain and I can't leave it outside.

Any thoughts? I've got about a day before I need this for my presentation.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:48 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

attackofdameepits wrote:
I got my kinchaku today and it absolutely wreaked of smoke. We have cold front pushing thought that is bringing rain and I can't leave it outside.

I don't suppose putting it in a big paper bag next to a bucket of damp rid or something would work? Isn't that stuff supposed to absorb scents? Is it something you can lightly mist with Febreeze?

Leave it overnight if you've still got time, and maybe seal it in a plastic bag with some potpourri in a fabric bag separate from the fabric of the kinchaku and see if it absorbs some of a better scent. It takes about a month for me to air out kimono that come from Japan when they reek of smoke and something else. Mothballs, usually.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:24 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Ayano, Toshiteru, Katsuhina
Fav. Geiko: Kikuyu, Fukuhina,Tsuruha
Fav. Motif: Susuki Grass w/ Dew, Koi
Geimyo: Koiteru 鯉輝
BebeTaian wrote:
attackofdameepits wrote:

I don't suppose putting it in a big paper bag next to a bucket of damp rid or something would work? Isn't that stuff supposed to absorb scents? Is it something you can lightly mist with Febreeze?

Leave it overnight if you've still got time, and maybe seal it in a plastic bag with some potpourri in a fabric bag separate from the fabric of the kinchaku and see if it absorbs some of a better scent. It takes about a month for me to air out kimono that come from Japan when they reek of smoke and something else. Mothballs, usually.

Thanks! :kawaii: I'll probably try the Febreeze.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:37 am 
Furisode Shinzo
Furisode Shinzo

Fav. Geiko: Wakana
Fav. Motif: Itomaki Hanabishi Higaki
Lindethiel; I'm sorry your stain became more troublesome. I had something similar happen to me when I dropped bits of chicken in red sauce down the front of a buttery tsukesage of mine... the stains didn't quite come out when I tried dabbing it up, and it seemed like some of the glossiness of the rinzu faded away. I haven't been able to look at this tsukesage since.
Have you tried ivory soap? Maybe this is what you mean by bath soap, but maybe dabbing with water to be sure the white isn't dried soap (pressing the area from both sides in moist towels firmly over the spot?) and then hitting with a small amount of ivory if the rings give...
Unfortunately it seems this sort of soft glossy finish on the silk is easy to ruin and near impossible to restore. :cry:
Hopefully getting whatever is causing the ringing to shift will lesson how obvious the stain is, but it might also be an effect of the dye shifting around. In the end this could just be a case of destroying it rather than making it better.
Maybe you could put shoulder tucks in...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:34 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

I'm scared of those types of rings happening in a tomesode I bought recently! It has streaks of white up at the shoulder. The way it's cut, it almost looks like a Taisho hikizuri, with the extra skirt layer removed. Supposedly* it came from an old Kyoto geisha, but kyoto.antique couldn't/wouldn't tell me who. It was the same person who had the fabulous furisode I asked about previously. They're both longer than most Taisho kimono too, by several inches. Almost long enough to fit me now, and I'm 5'6"!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:47 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Quat wrote:
Lindethiel; I'm sorry your stain became more troublesome. I had something similar happen to me when I dropped bits of chicken in red sauce down the front of a buttery tsukesage of mine... the stains didn't quite come out when I tried dabbing it up, and it seemed like some of the glossiness of the rinzu faded away. I haven't been able to look at this tsukesage since.
Have you tried ivory soap? Maybe this is what you mean by bath soap, but maybe dabbing with water to be sure the white isn't dried soap (pressing the area from both sides in moist towels firmly over the spot?) and then hitting with a small amount of ivory if the rings give...
Unfortunately it seems this sort of soft glossy finish on the silk is easy to ruin and near impossible to restore. :cry:
Hopefully getting whatever is causing the ringing to shift will lesson how obvious the stain is, but it might also be an effect of the dye shifting around. In the end this could just be a case of destroying it rather than making it better.
Maybe you could put shoulder tucks in...

In truth the new downy texture is only about the size of a small coin. I'm pretty certain that if I get the white out, it won't be noticeable unless the light hits it in a certain way. Still wearable if I can salvage it.

I figure if I go at the rings with a veeeery slightly damp cloth, at least then I may be able to 'soften' them. Make them less visible.

I wonder... the green sponge I used left green colouring on the silk, but I got that out. There was a yellow sponge in the pack too... I wonder if the yellow sponge dye might work as a gentle patch-up, lol.

Still devastated. The most formal kimono I own aside from my furisode that I don't like NEARLY as much. Such a fantastic piece... :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:30 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: woven, backlit nature
Geimyo: Mikuma Ryūnobu 美熊泖乃舞
I just got my new tomesode, which has a lot a lot of misc. shiny stuff. Not just gold and silver but copper and metallic blue even. The seller shipped it with newspaper over the design, but when I took it off a tiny bit of the shiny. I want to go ahead and put it in my tatoushi but I don't know if I should store it with or without the newspaper. Would the foil come off on the rest of the silk if I stored it without? :?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:44 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

It sounds like moisture has adhered the newspaper to the gold leaf. Was it shipped in plastic packaging? Don't take it off just yet, wetting the newspaper will also wet the glue the gold is stuck on with, so you'll loose it anyway. But gold leaf is actually pretty easy to restore, someone here on IG is doing it. You can probably get imitation leaf too. (As the gold apparently needs to be varnished to stop it degrading.) Imitation leaf may come in blue somewhere...

This is a cool site I found on google. http://www.goldleafsupplies.co.uk/index.html

I would have done this myself, just washed my kimono and replaced the gold leaf if I wasn't afraid of the yuzen dye work getting ruined, as it probably would have if I'd washed it.

Anyway, I leeched at the silk with two damp white cloths like Quat said, but I'm not entirely sure if it changed anything. From the dampness, I blotted and rubbed gently in outwards directions at the dye tide ring. (It's definitely dye, I can see it on the lining.) The cloth was only SLIGHTLY damp, so much so that it would take three rubs to even make the fabric darker. This has softened & blurred the ring mark a fair bit. You can hardly see it in the sun, a little more in the shade.

These ones show a comparison of my previous pics. Ignore the parts circled, that's dust in my camera, lol.

This is in direct sunlight. Again, ignore the little circles. The dye ring is directly to the right of that line.

In the shade, but still outside.

What do you guys think? I'm going to try gentle bath soap tomorrow at the direct stain. I'll probably need to rub out the dye mark again after I attempt that...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:43 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

I probably have a higher tolerance for flaws, but it's looking a lot, lot better than it did. IMHO you could probably leave it as is and no one will probably notice, but if it's going to bug you, might as well try to get it better, right?

Does make me wish I was brave enough to clean some of the spots on my tomesode, there's a few age marks in the white dyed parts that would bug me if I let them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:31 pm 
Onesan
Onesan

Fav. Motif: bamboo, yabane, ivy, tachibana
lothlin wrote:
I probably have a higher tolerance for flaws.
Me too.

Looking at the most recent photos, probably nobody will notice unless you're self-conscious about it (i.e. covering it with your hand or artfully arranging a ponytail!). If you behave like there's nothing amiss then I doubt people will be staring at the back of your shoulder :)

It's a shame when your favourite pieces have a mishap but you've helped minimise the damage.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:51 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: deers
Geimyo: 紅葉鹿
hope this goes on the right topic ...

I just received a haori and at some point during the shippment a ballpoint pen have made a hole in the package ,the pen made also a hole into the plastic bag that seller uses to protect his goods...and ,yes there are two black ink stains on my creamy white haori :gah: :mad:

Any idea on how to remove those ugly stains?

Btw, haori is silk with dyed motifs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:43 pm 
Jimae Geiko
Jimae Geiko

Has anyone experiences in cleaning shusu silk?
I got a beautiful hakata chuya obi. The backside is light green shusu silk and while the hakata fabric is in good condition there are light brown stains all over the shusu side which I think where coused by moisture (mould maybe).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:58 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: Maiko/Geiko
Geimyo: Hanafumi 華書
I was told necro-ing was okay on this site. Please don't be mad...:cry:

I was wondering, would it be possible to wash a Yukata and Hanhaba Obi in Hot Water and on Regular setting? My reason for asking is because, I'm planing to go to Anime USA this year in a costume and sadly, there were rumors of past infestations of bed bugs. So two nights ago I called the hotel, and talked to a very nice man at Marriot Corporate who made some calls for me.

He did confirm that the Marriot for Anime USA did have legit past infestation problems, and that they were working to make sure another outbreak wouldn't happen during Anime USA. So I talked to my parents - even though they don't like my hobby - and we came up with a delousing plan.

She - and many other sites BTW - suggested washing clothes in hot water after I bring my suitcase home from the trip. I don't want to destory my nice Yukata and obi, but at the same time, I don't want bed bugs making home in my Yukata and Hanhaba obi. Again, the Yukata is made out of cotton and I think the obi is synthetic. If washing them separately would help, would hot water on both fabrics and the a tumble in the dryer on regular heat be safe for both?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:05 pm 
Onesan
Onesan

Fav. Motif: bamboo, yabane, ivy, tachibana
Personally, I wouldn't risk it. Especially if it's an indigo dyed one.

What about wrapping it up in a ziplock bag and putting it in the freezer for a couple of weeks? It won't hurt the yukata, but I'd think it would kill off any creatures. Then you could take it out and wash like normal (coool hand wash).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:25 pm 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Fav. Motif: Kiku, Momiji, Usagi, Karabana
http://insectsinthecity.blogspot.ca/201 ... gs-in.html

This says that freezing can work, depending on the freezer, but it needs to get really cold and stay that way. Washing and tumble-drying on hot can also work. It does say that dry-cleaning works so you could try that as well.

I'd say it would depend on your yukata. If it's a modern printed one, it could probably handle hot water. A dyed yukata one, on the other hand, I wouldn't risk it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:37 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: Maiko/Geiko
Geimyo: Hanafumi 華書
@ Sarcasm-hime - Thank you for the link. I actually need to share this link with other con goers. I will give you credit for finding this article.

Just to be sure, This is the fabric my Yukata was made out of, and this is the obi that will be over my Yukata.

I can e-mail Shimazakura and ask about washing my Obi. Again, depending on the fabric, at least by the advertisement, it may just end up being freezing the bugs to death.

If the above mentioned fabric can be washed in hot water and soap, I will use that method. If the cotton is too delicate for hot water, then I'll freeze the fabric.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:42 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

So I just got a new old stock hanhaba obi (it's either 100% woven cotton or possibly 100% linen/ramie, it's lined and reversible) and while it's still in the plastic pouch it came in and has its tags still on it, it also really smells of mothballs.

Any ideas for getting out the smell without washing the obi?

I have a feeling I'm going to have to throw out the plastic pouch too (it's a clear vinyl/PVC thing with a plastic snap) but I can live with that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:38 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: Water, sakura, violets.
Geimyo: Sumire すみれ/菫
yukatafan wrote:
So I just got a new old stock hanhaba obi (it's either 100% woven cotton or possibly 100% linen/ramie, it's lined and reversible) and while it's still in the plastic pouch it came in and has its tags still on it, it also really smells of mothballs.

I have a feeling I'm going to have to throw out the plastic pouch too (it's a clear vinyl/PVC thing with a plastic snap) but I can live with that.

put lavander flower between the layers when it's folded... also steaming it can help get the smell out...

blog for Kimono De Jack Australia \(^_^)/

Kimono de Jack Australia Facebook Page

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:08 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

yukatafan wrote:

For these things, throw out the plastic.

Let the item air out for as long as possible, especially if you have something like benzoin that you can burn near it (just don't get it close enough to where resin or smoke can damage the item). I had a gorgeous tenga obi mailed to me that someone had put flowers into (presumably because of the mothball smell), and it stained the obi! x.x But burning incense or benzoin in the room, especially a small room like a small bathroom that isn't damp anymore) can help the smell.

If you have a clothesline outside on a windy day, think about hanging them out there for a few hours at a time. Don't let it get sun damage, but sunlight really does break down mothball smells after a day or two. Most of my really pungent items got much better after a few days of open air, even if it meant having to wear them out for a walk once or twice. This even helped smoker smell on one or two things.

If the fabric can handle it, try Febreze, and then airing it out.

DO NOT use warm or hot water, steam, or ironing to remove the smell. It will make it set deeper into the fabric! x.x

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:27 am 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Fav. Motif: Fujin & Raijin
I got a really cheap omeshi kimono that smelled so bad of something mold-like, it literally knocked me over when I opened the bag :x I was lucky to have access to the roof and have a nice, sunny afternoon free to let it hang out for a few hours. I went up two times to shake it out and turn it inside out. After that, it didn't smell like anything :)

I agree about not getting a musty-smelling item wet. I have a Taisho haori that reeked of mold and I made the mistake of using some Febreeze on it. It didn't damage the fabric at all, but it did magnify the stench about 100x :roll: The only place I could put it was out in my tiny covered balcony, and because it was winter, I ended up having to leave it there for a few weeks until the smell subsided :sigh

Facebook: http://facebook.com/ai0kimono

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:27 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: Shochikubai
Geimyo: 秋花 Akihana
Airing will be best as first step, the smell might be effect of bad storing - dry the obi and air them. I've made fragrance bags by sewing dry lavender in cotton bags.

Keeps insects out and allows nice smell to last :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:29 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Airing will be best as first step, the smell might be effect of bad storing - dry the obi and air them. I've made fragrance bags by sewing dry lavender in cotton bags.

Keeps insects out and allows nice smell to last :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:58 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Cheap thin cotton bags of cedar chips also help keep bugs away. The cotton wrapping is to keep the oils from seeping out of the wood and onto your fabrics. Mesh gauze bags like jewellery/gift bags aren't the same! Of course, you should still wrap your stuff in paper. See if you can find some acid-free tissue paper. I couldn't get any locally, so I used plain white tissue paper for now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:22 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Since we have a couple of nice warm sunny but low humidity days in our forecast I draped the obi over a clothes drying rack and have it in the sunlight to air out on the front porch. It is naturally breezy there so hopefully Mother Nature will help fade out the mothball stink.

As near as I can tell there's no mold or must in this obi, just mothball smell. I'm pretty sure it spent years (maybe even decades) in the dark with some mothballs somewhere.

I have some lavender I can dry out in the backyard but I think I'll use cedar when I store it away instead. I'll wrap it in fabric so the cedar can't touch the obi directly.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:51 am 
Jimae Geiko
Jimae Geiko

yukatafan the mothball scent is typical for kiri wood out of which tansu are made. So the wood has a natural "anti moth" function :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:17 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Pet Enzyme Cleaner is a wonderfully versatile thing. I forgot that I had spilled coffee, chocolate slim-fast, and I think a bit of incense resin on a pale pink silk peasant skirt a few weeks back, and pretreating the stains with the enzyme cleaner took the discoloration right out.

It also works for taking cigar stink out of things you can't really wash, like leather and sequined shoes. For that mater, it also takes shoe stink out of shoes.

I haven't tried it on a kimono yet, but so far it looks like it should work. and a Q-tip test on a hidden part of the kimono should tell you if it will hurt the dye.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:22 am 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Toshimomo, Mamesaku
Fav. Geiko: Tsuneyu, Sayaka
Fav. Motif: birds/lilies/trees/snow
Anyone ever washed a meisen kimono? I got my first one, and it has some big brown stains in the front panel, some small ones all over and a few big ones on tomoeri. I already detached the tomoeri and washed it, and managed to make the stains much fainter (none were removed completely but they are now hard to see). Since the kimono is so small, I am really worried about shrinkage. Does meisen shrink easily, or anything else I should know before I throw the poor thing into water? I really, really would like to avoid it, but at it's current state it is not wearable :( .

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:52 pm 
Jimae Geiko
Jimae Geiko

muhvi, is it awase or hitoe? I don't know about shrinkage with meisen, but the structure of the weave would make it less likely to shrink than a lot of other kimono silks.

On a bit of a tangent, I wrote a blogpost recently about unpicking and washing some vintage rinzu - http://susanbriscoe.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/silk-washing-and-anatomy-of-michiyuki.html (sorry, I have completely forgotten how to do short urls!! :ohno: ) I used a mild shampoo (Neutragena - the clear one for sensitive scalp, not the brown coal tar one) as the detergent. The silk felt pretty grubby before I started and had quite a few small stains.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:22 pm 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

It's hitoe. I just tried to fit the tomoeri back on, and it seems even that short piece lost from it's length about 2 cm :ohno: . That would mean I would lose at least 3 cm from kimono length, way too much! Looks like this means I have to forget washing it whole, it's either some spot cleaning separately or nothing at all. Too bad I have really bad experiences about spot cleaning - the stains usually do come off, but leave nasty water stains around it making the result no better. I'll probably get some distilled water from work and then try it with soap for one stain on the sleeve end veeery carefully. If all fails, I can shorten the sleeves (oh how I hate saying that :cry: ).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:13 pm 
Jimae Geiko
Jimae Geiko

muhvi, that's a shame about the shrinkage. Did the meisen shrink on the width as well?

Carefully unpicking and washing the tomoeri as a 'shinkage test' is a very good idea though.

I love meisen kimono so much, but they are nearly always far too small/short for me. I have thought about remaking one as a haori, just as an experiment. There's one yellow meisen haori I got as part of a 'lot' on YJA with beautiful fabric but a horrendous stain. I may try washing it complete using the same method as the purple rinzu, as the mild shampoo really seemed to work well. When I do, I'll measure it first and makes notes/take photos so I can post them later. If it doesn't work, I can take it apart for the fabric. Whatever happens, it can't be more unwearable than it is now!
:]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:56 pm 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Takenoko - I love how meisen looks, and now that I finally have one can say I love the feel too. If only they all would not be so short. This one is "only" 14 cm too short for me, but I am hoping I could maybe wear it without ohashori if I try really hard.

Here's a short report what's happening with my pretty meisen:

I measured the tomoeri again. It was about 86 cm long before washing, after that 2 cm shorter. The fabric also got narrower, I lost about 1 cm from width, which is quite much considering we are talking about a fabric strip only 16 cm wide here.

So, I decided try spot cleaning with rest of the stains. I used mild soap and distilled water for the cleaning. Most stains came out really easily, some even completely, but of course just that only big and brown one in the middle of left panel was super stubborn. I tried rubbing the stain with a towel when normal tricks were not working... BIG mistake! At first it looked like the stain was finally starting to fade, but then I noticed it was actually fabric getting thinner 8O .
Aaargh! In the end I had to accept it was going to remain there, and took a small piece from okumi fabric under collar and sewed a small patch on it (also put little fusible interfacing under). It's quite small, and not easy to see, but yes, it does bother me since it was the only thing I could not get off no matter how I tried. And almost made hole on the kimono... :(

I would also like to say that water stains are such a pain with meisen too. If you don't mind that the silk looks weird in certain angles in strong light, they won't probably bother you, but they sure bother me. This kimono has big yabane pattern in teal, on a black background. The only way I could get the water stains "off", was to make the fabric wet with distilled water from the teal part and iron it instantly away. This means that in practice the water stains are still there, they have just moved to the black part and are not showing. They are not a problem if you wash the whole piece, the tomoeri came out nice.

Next I am going to make the kimono as big I possibly can. :katana:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:19 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Motif: Kiku+Tsubaki
So much good info on this thread, it's slowly removing my fear of washing kimono!
And just in time, because I have one that really needs it :flustered
About two weeks ago, I purchased a lovely lilac grey Ro Houmongi with a pattern of seagulls flying over waves. I pretty much fell in love with it; I love the beach, and it has seagulls! It's only two colours, and I think it's worth mentioning that there's a bit of pearlescent white paint on the wings of the seagulls.
Anyway, over the back there's quite a large... it's either a watermark, or a watermark from sweat spreading over the back.
There's some greasy spots showing on the back of the sleeves, although they're not so bad.
Image Image

I want to know if anyone has ever tried washing a ro silk anything? I tried using the IG search function, but it refuses to recognise 'ro' as a real word because it's only two letters long =___=
I expect shrinkage won't be too much of a problem as it's unlined and so light; if I wash it quickly and hang it quickly, maybe it will come out all right? ...right? It's already too short for me to wear with ohashori, and the wingspan already looks peculiarly short.
Ugh so nervous.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:38 pm 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Fav. Motif: Kiku, Momiji, Usagi, Karabana
I don't think that ro would shrink much, because it's a plain weave. I know that chirimen shrinks like the dickens...

But I can't be sure of course, having never tried washing ro.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:41 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

What about benzine? It's used in dry-cleaning and I've cleaned some of my kanzashi with it - they are all silk, and it didn't hurt them.

Of course in case of kimono I'd try it on some less visible part first but maybe it will hurt less than water?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:22 pm 
Kamuro
Kamuro

Fav. Maiko: Tomitae, Ichinana, Mamefuji
Fav. Geiko: Kotoha, Ichino, Kofuku, Makino
Fav. Motif: ichimatsu, waves, bugs,
Geimyo: 松風太夫 Matsukaze-tayuu
I got icecream on a kimono :/ it fell on the black part, so it's not terribly noticeable, but I'd still like to do whatever I can to improve the appearance of it. Being icecream, it's a little sticky and I think this is what gives the stain a shiny look? It's silk.. so I'm not sure how wet I can get it...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Search for:
Jump to: