Login * Member Blogs
FAQ *
   Search *
Member Stores
View unanswered posts
View active topics ::

IMPORTANT!

IMPORTANT NOTE: While email addresses are protected and hidden from view to both members and guest, if you have recently received unsolicited email contact from any member or former member, please forward it to us. Click to read more.

Becoming a member of the IG community is as simple as registering. To register, please click on "Login", and then "Register". Please note, registrations are activated manually by a moderator, so there may be a tiny delay in signing up and account activation. Registered, but having trouble with login? Please read this thread.

Members new and old, it's always a good time to re-acquaint yourself with the rules. New members, unsure about where to post stuff, or overwhelmed by the number of forums? Please check out the useful thread index.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: [Knowledge] Counters for Kimono and Kimono-related items
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:32 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

As those members who have some knowledge of Japanese know, Japanese uses counting words. These can be thought of a similar to words like "head" in the English "50 head of cattle," or "sheet" in "10 sheets of paper," but in Japanese, unlike in English, nearly all nouns require a counter, and there are lots of them.

Kimono-related counting words can be quite complicated, because they sometimes don't work as you might expect. Here is a list.

Fabric (反物 tanmono)
    counter:
    pronunciation: tan
    examples: ittan, ni-tan, san-tan
    notes: a tan is a bolt of fabric. Since they're long and cylindrical, they can also be counted with hon. For some reason, single bolts that are double length (the length of 2 bolts) are counted using hiki (疋 or 匹), meaning "head," which is a counter for animals.

Fans (扇子 sensu)
    counter: 本; 枚
    pronunciation: hon; mai
    examples: ippon, ni-hon, san-bon; ichi-mai, ni-mai, san-mai
    notes: choose the appropriate counter depending whether the fan is open or closed: hon (long/thin) implies it is closed, "mai" (thin/flat) suggests it's open

Footwear (履物 hakimono)
    counter:
    pronunciation: soku
    examples: issoku, ni-soku, san-soku
    notes: see Tabi for more info.

Fundoshi (fundoshi)
    counter:
    pronunciation: hon
    examples: ippon, ni-hon, san-bon
    notes: fundoshi can also be counted with "mai"; see Haori for more info. Colloquially, they can also be counted with 丁 chou, which is the counter for guns and tools....

Hakama ()
    counter:
    pronunciation: koshi
    examples: hito-koshi, ni-koshi, san-koshi
    notes: hakama are often counted using mai, but koshi, which means "waist," is the original term.

Han-eri (半衿)
    counter: 掛け
    pronunciation: kake
    examples: hito-kake, ni-kake, san-kake
    notes: han-eri can also be counted using mai, but only if they are not attached to the juban.

Haori (羽織)
    counter:
    pronunciation: mai
    examples: ippon, ni-hon, san-bon; ikkumi, ni-kumi, san-kumi
    notes: "mai" is used for counting thin, flat objects like sheets of paper

Haori-himo (羽織紐)
    counter: 本、組
    pronunciation: hon, kumi
    examples: ichi-mai, ni-mai, san-mai
    notes: single haori-himo are counted with "hon"; "kumi" is used for counting pairs of himo. Pairs can also be counted with 揃え (soroe), 対 (tsui) or (sou).

Japanese umbrellas (和傘 wagasa)
    counter: 張り
    pronunciation: hari
    examples: hito-hari, ni-hari, san-bari
    notes: hari refers to things that spread, thus is the traditional counter for umbrellas. Nowadays hon (long/thin) is more common.

Juban (襦袢 juban; 長襦袢 naga-juban)
    counter:
    notes: see Haori

Kamishimo ()
    counter:
    pronunciation: gu
    examples: ichi-gu, ni-gu, san-gu
    notes: gu is a counter for "sets" of clothing. It's also used to count things like suits.

Kimonos (着物 kimono; 長着 naga-gi)
    counter:
    notes: see Haori and Montsuki sets

Montsuki sets
    counter: 揃い
    pronunciation: soroi
    examples: hito-soroi, ni-soroi, san-zoroi
    notes: "monstuki sets" refers to complete formal outfits: kimono + haori + hakama. Counting with soroi implies a complete set of formal or ceremonial clothing. Monstuki kimono by themselves can be counted using chaku

Obi ()
    counter:
    notes: the counter hon is used for long, thin objects such as pencils and bottles. The pronunciation changes for each of the numbers as can be seen in the partial list above. Obi can also be counted with mai (on the grounds that they are thin and flat); jou, or suji can also be used, since these indicate things that are long and narrow.

Tabi (足袋)
    counter: 足
    pronunciation: soku
    examples: issoku, ni-soku, san-soku
    notes: the kanji means "foot." The counter soku is used to count pairs of tabi; single tabi are counted using mai. In older times, the counter ryou, meaning "both," was used to count pairs of items; this counter is apparently still used for a special kind of tabi I've never heard of called shitouzu.

Te-nugui (手拭い)
    counter:
    notes: can also be counted with "mai" (see Haori for more info); or with suji and jou (see Tabi for more info).

Yukata (浴衣)
    counter:
    notes: see Haori

The information was translated from a chart on the Ginza Motoji website.

Of course, if you have fewer than 10 of an item, you can always count without counter words by using the traditional numerals hitotsu, futatus, mittsu, yottsu, itsutsu, muttsu, nanatsu, yattsu, kokonotsu and tou. "2 kimonos" thus becomes "kimono futatsu" and "7 umbrellas" is "wagasa nanatsu," but if you have 11 of something, you're out of luck (and anyway, it's nice to know the right words for things).

[topic moved and title edited by bebemochi]

Post subject: Re: Knowledge: counting words and kimono
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:45 am 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Fav. Motif: Fujin & Raijin
thanks for that fuuga! very useful!! here are a few more i use when I'm searching the 'net:

Obi-jime(帯締め)
counter:

Obi-age (帯揚げ)
counter:

is for sets. for example 3点 is a three-piece set like yukata/obi/geta. you can also search for multiple items using this one. (kind of like looking for "hukuro" obi on ebay instead of "fukuro" obi.) for example: 着物 帯 3点 would be kimono obi set of 3.

Facebook: http://facebook.com/ai0kimono

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:38 pm 
Minarai-san
Minarai-san

Fav. Maiko: Wakana
Fav. Geiko: Kikuno of Nara
Fav. Motif: Peony, peacocks, fish, matsu
Oh jeez, and here I was thinking -mai and -tsu was okay for everything. Thanks for the info! =D

And... and why aren't umbrellas counted with -hon?! They're practically the perfect long, cylindrical object! Japanese makes my brain hurt... :(

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:07 pm 
Tayuu
Tayuu

Fav. Maiko: Umehisa, Mameharu, both Ayano
Fav. Geiko: Kotoha, Fukuyû, Ichiraku
Fav. Motif: Tsuta, Kiku leaves, Same
Not when they're open! (And isn't that what they're made for? What would be the point of using one otherwise?)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:38 pm 
Onesan
Onesan

Fav. Motif: bamboo, yabane, ivy, tachibana
I've never thought about this before, but it's fascinating. Thankyou! Lots to think about...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:49 pm 
Minarai-san
Minarai-san

Another interesting lesson on grammar!

I was reading the wikipedia article and I never knew about counting words also applied in Cantonese. But then I learnt it when I was a child via conversations with my family so its not surprising that I don't understand the grammar.

I will play more attention now!

You can find me in the following places Blogger, Etsy, Twitter and Deviantart

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:57 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: Ume, matsu
Ems wrote:
Oh jeez, and here I was thinking -mai and -tsu was okay for everything. Thanks for the info! =D(...)

Well, the hitotsu futatsu mittsu etc. system does work for everything. Only you'll sound a bit... weird if you don't use counters, like, ever. It's like always saying "tabi by the amount of six" or something.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:17 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Peccantis wrote:
It's like always saying "tabi by the amount of six" or something.

Thanks for the chuckle.

Search for:
Jump to: