Login * Member Blogs
FAQ *
   Search *
Member Stores
View unanswered posts
View active topics ::

IMPORTANT!

As of the 31st of August, 2014 the Immortal Geisha forums has ceased accepting membership requests and become read only. To read further about this, please visit this thread:

http://immortalgeisha.com/ig_bb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22347

Never fear, though! Immortal Geisha has moved over to Facebook! You can now find us all over here:
Facebook: Immortal Geisha - A Kimono, Kitsuke and Geisha Group

Many deep and profound thanks to everyone who participated and supported the forums over the years. 12 years is a great run for a message board, and here's to continuing the years over on Facebook!

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: storage paper
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:21 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Maiko: mamechika-san
Fav. Geiko: kikuyu-san
Fav. Motif: taisho-roman
I was looking around the forums and found that the few threads related to this topic had somehow strayed from it and now that I have joined in to this vintage kimono madness it would really come in handy (I used to just obsess with them now I obsess and buy them in order to obsess some more). What are other paper alternatives to rice paper without acid (preferably cheaper)? how do I recognize or test for acid free paper?

Somehow I just hate the idea of using cloth.

Post subject: Re: storage paper
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:20 am 
Okasan
Okasan

Fav. Maiko: Satsuki,Kimihiro,Tomitsuyu,
Fav. Geiko: Sayaka,Miehina,Mana/Kana
Fav. Motif: flowers,peacock,butterfly
Geimyo: 昊蓮 - Kouren
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=11724

This gives a very good lot of information ;) Mega-threads are most of the time perfect for a answer so try to look for them first ! :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:30 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

I did, that is why I asked again. Like I said that thread just steers away from paper and goes into plastic and wood alternatives. I am checking all it's links now to see if I missed anything, but until now cant find anything on readily available cheap types of acid free paper or how to identify it.

Maybe I should have specified western kinds.

Ordering paper from Japan or any of those pretty bags is just not an option for me which is why I am looking for paper alternatives. As for the actual container, I think I will recycle an old cardboard box or use one of my drawers while protecting them in paper.

Maybe I should invest on some universal indicator solution and put a drop of it on the corner of all paper kinds I can find. Any one know of a chemistry lab supply store that delivers internationally to south america XD?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:41 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

acid in paper is also important in art papers. you could go to an art shop and ask there, the staff should be able to point you to acid-free paper. however, art paper is also not cheap (i've totally spent upwards of 60 USD at a time in the past). it comes in larger sizes, though... you might also be able to find a sketchbook or something, which would be labeled as "archival" or "acid-free."

your cheapest option might be the clean white cloth mentioned in the megathread.

edit: be careful about cardboard. it is not archival and is acidic (from what i remember from uni at least). if you're concerned about the acid be sure that there's no direct contact with the kimono fabric.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:18 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Teabot thanks! It just so happens my younger brother is an art student. He might have some art paper to spare or some that is crumpled or some that he cant use it for some other reason. I will ask him. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:25 am 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Fav. Motif: Fujin & Raijin
Amazon sells acid-free tissue paper for people to store garments in (wedding dresses, historical items, etc.) When I buy tatoshi from Japan, I always order the tissue that goes inside, so the acid-free tissue paper would do the exact same thing.

ETA: Amazon also has acid-free storage boxes :)

Facebook: http://facebook.com/ai0kimono

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:51 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Geiko: Kimika'
Fav. Motif: Yukata &Tsukesage/Koi
Geimyo: Shiah
I actually found a place that sells garment storage paper and even box's that fit kimono perfectly!

And if was cheap!
Box and paper cost me 6$! At tip top tailers !! I went in to get a suit item with my hubby and saw them on the wall, after asking a few question found out there perfect for them and there even made for that type of thing ! I bought one for each of my kimono they even have different sizes and there med fit my obi's!

There also acid free and some other chemical I can't remember free

Search for:
Jump to: