Login * Member Blogs
FAQ *
   Search *
Member Stores
View unanswered posts
View active topics ::

IMPORTANT!

IMPORTANT NOTE: While email addresses are protected and hidden from view to both members and guest, if you have recently received unsolicited email contact from any member or former member, please forward it to us. Click to read more.

Becoming a member of the IG community is as simple as registering. To register, please click on "Login", and then "Register". Please note, registrations are activated manually by a moderator, so there may be a tiny delay in signing up and account activation. Registered, but having trouble with login? Please read this thread.

Members new and old, it's always a good time to re-acquaint yourself with the rules. New members, unsure about where to post stuff, or overwhelmed by the number of forums? Please check out the useful thread index.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Help identifying motifs ID: Karabana, Tsuji & Hishi
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:37 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

I just picked up this nagoya obi from Ichiroya (http://www.ichiroya.com/item/list2/193092/) and while I know that mandarin ducks are a winter motif, I'm not sure if the rest of the pattern is abstract or not.

Any help identifying? :D

Last edited by lothlin on Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Help identifying motifs
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:56 pm 
First Mate Boobie-san (Mod)

Fav. Motif: apples, tsujigahana
I think the flowers are karabana, imaginary Chinese flowers. I can't tell if the lines would be considered latticework (tsuji) or not. The diamond is "hishi" (if it's made of flowers, it's called hanabishi).

To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. - Joseph Chilton Pearce

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:30 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Is everything but the ducks season neutral? And as to the karabana, is that just the pink flowers or is that include the red around the ducks too? Because I swear there's almost an orchid look to some of them, but I really could be wrong, I haven't gotten a very good eye for flower patterns yet.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:57 pm 

Fav. Motif: apples, tsujigahana
Geometrics are usually all-season, and since karabana are imaginary, they don't have a season. I think it's all of the flowers on your obi, but that's only my opinion. It's a rather celebratory/auspicious obi. I think you could really wear it in any season (save summer, when it's ro season, but still, then we wear what we have).

To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. - Joseph Chilton Pearce

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:32 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Well, thanks for your help ^^

Search for:
Jump to: