Login * Member Blogs
FAQ *
   Search *
Member Stores
View unanswered posts
View active topics ::

IMPORTANT!

As of the 31st of August, 2014 the Immortal Geisha forums has ceased accepting membership requests and become read only. To read further about this, please visit this thread:

http://immortalgeisha.com/ig_bb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22347

Never fear, though! Immortal Geisha has moved over to Facebook! You can now find us all over here:
Facebook: Immortal Geisha - A Kimono, Kitsuke and Geisha Group

Many deep and profound thanks to everyone who participated and supported the forums over the years. 12 years is a great run for a message board, and here's to continuing the years over on Facebook!

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Anime Vegas Convention! (Image Heavy)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:05 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

For this year's convention in Vegas I decided to dress up as a maiko/geisha.  Since December 2005, I have been reading, purchasing, and doing lots of research with the help of the Immortal Geisha forums.  A lot of you have helped me and I am eternally grateful.  It was a major success and has made me a big fan of traditonal Japanese arts.

Please note that not all items of my kitsuke are 100% authentic or perfectly in place for the geisha/maiko style.  Budget and time wouldn't allow a hikizuri, katsura, dararai (sp?) obi, and many other things to be bought.  And I did have help in putting it all on. :)

Getting ready on the first day.
Later that evening (I'm a mess!)

My favorite outfit (last day)

Out in the parking lot XD

Unfortunately, I didn't get a photo of myself on the second day of the con, but I know more than a dozen people must have got it at the con. >.<  The second day I was wearing my "obaachan" getup.  I'll have to track the pics down later.  

I had a lot of fun and afterwards gave my lovely kitsuke-helper some fresh tai snapper and aji direct from Japan.  ^o^

Next year I'm planning on being a vendor and having my staff wear kimono too.  (Shameless plug)Interested in coming next year?  Click the banner below! :3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:54 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

:o

I saw you there! I was too busy to say hi (volunteering), but you looked lovely!  :D

I'm assuming you will be selling kimono next year? Neat! I'll have to check it out. I will be a vendor as well, but selling a variety of Japanese fashion, particularily modern styles like gothic lolita.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:03 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Very lovely!  And I applaud the idea of vending.....I've always wanted to do that myself; just haven't had the time to figure out all the details. I wish you much success!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:09 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

You look lovely!

How did you do your hair? It looks great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:11 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: Waves
You had much better success than I with the costume at a con! Nice job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:18 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Mameyuri, Mamehana
Fav. Geiko: Umeha, Kotoha
Fav. Motif: Ume, Phoenix, Waves, Momiji
Even though it's not 100% accurate, you still look absolutely stunning.  ^_^  I actually like the first outfit better.  I think you look delicate in the pink flowered kimono, and so, so pretty.

Oh, and where did you get the kanzashi from?  They're awesome.  o.O  I just have one tsunami kanzashi that I got from ebay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:04 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

*squee* Las Vegas was my home from birth 'till 15. Now i'm a colorado girl.  But hey, you look like you had so much fun! I loved that first kimono with the roses.  You did a pretty awesome job on your hair, as well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:23 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

I love your first furisode with the roses!

Just curious but who tied the obi for you? did you get a pro kimono dresser?

Where I am it is very expensive to hire one...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:28 pm 
Onesan
Onesan

I liked the last picture the best- the pink kimono and pink flowers in your hair looks really pretty. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:14 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: momiji
You look fantastic! Wow! Your makeup is beautiful and I just *adore* your kanzashi!  :lovelove

Thanks for sharing!  :)

http://halflingsera.deviantart.com
http://sarahdraws.com

Ookini!  =^.^=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:03 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Geiko: Kikutsuryuu
Fav. Motif: Momiji
CONGRATULATIONS!  :) You look almost like a real maiko! You look lovely in the photographs. Good job! I really love your furisode and kanzashi, and your hairstyle is amazing! How did you make it? I wish I have been there... :content:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:09 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

absolutely beautiful!!  :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:26 pm 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Good job! I love the apple green/orange kimono. Very striking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:27 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

An orchid furisode? How lovely!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:10 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Paranoia -
*gasps*  If I'm not mistaken you're the organizer of Project Harajuku right?  Miss V?  I've always admired your style, but never had the guts to tell ya so.  Thank you so much for the compliment.  As for the merchandise I plan on selling....

It's still in the works right now.  I'm going halves with my younger brother who makes a wide assortment of armor, weapons, and accessories you'd most likely see at a renn fair.  So we're still tossing ideas back and forth about what would sell versus what would not.  Most likely kimono, imported japanese candy, drinks, along with his goods.  

Arhianrad-
My hair was done by the same lady who helped me with my kitsuke.  I showed her reference pictures and we tried to match as best as we could without having wax and proper combs.

We used:
-TRESemmé mega hold sculpting gel
-Hair curlers
-Crap load of bobby pins
-Hair spray  (not sure of the brand)

After running gel through my hair to tame the frizzies we put hair curlers in.  After the curlers were finished we then took a comb and ran it from the ends of my hair to my scalp to make lots of volume with the extreme curl.  My bangs were then combed neatly over the mini afro I had on the top and sides of my head and lightly covered in the gel to keep in place.  The ends from my bangs and the rest on the outside were kind of rolled and tucked neatly with bobby pins.  (Dunno if that explains it well enough.  If I do it again soon, I will have someone record it and I'll upload it on my site to show you.)  The lady that helped me also had someone taking pictures through the whole process so I might have more coming.

desertlily-
I got my kanzashi from Maya.  They costed me a pretty penny, but a lot of people were quite taken with them.  I even had one lady ask if she could touch them.XD  

Here's a link to the kanzashi.  I am very satisfied with the overall quality.  I'm hoping to purchase the kaede pair in the future.
http://www1.odn.ne.jp/maya/english/enknshop.htm

Furisode Fan-
The lady pictured in the last photo tied the obi.  She used to live in Osaka and worked in a club or some sort of business were they wore kimono everyday.  She also used to do the makeup for the runway models showing off new furisode.  As a gratitude of my thanks I gave her fresh fish and money for helping me out.  We never settled on a price.  It was kind of embarassing for us to discuss. >.<

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:23 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

i like the second outfit! Those colors are great!! :lovelove

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:03 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Yes, I organize project harajuku.  :) And thank you too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:19 am 
First Mate Shiba-san (Mod)
First Mate Shiba-san (Mod)

Fav. Geiko: Naosuzu, Fumiyu & Miehina!
Fav. Motif: dog
You look so beautiful and your make-up looks good too. Only 2 things I see that could be changed for next time. I might try swapping the kanzashi seems like most maiko wear the dangling one on the left side. I don't know if there is some kanzashi rule on this, it's just mostly what I see.
The next is to make your collar fold narrower. The back part looks good but it's too wide in the front. Let your juban show off more in the front.
Other than those two things, I think you look great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:20 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

shigatsuhana-

Oops, I wasn't aware that maiko had their kanzashi placed that way.  Thank you, I will remember that next time!  

As for the juban and collar I completely agree.  The lady helping me didn't know a whole lot about how geisha/maiko wear their kimono differently.  I showed her how the collar was pulled in the back and we got it, but I completely forgot about having the juban show in the front.

I also wanted the juban to show while I walked around, but that didn't happen either.  It's cool though.  I've learned more with each dressing.  There's just so much to remember!    :D

Search for:
Jump to: