Login * Member Blogs
FAQ *
   Search *
Member Stores
View unanswered posts
View active topics ::

IMPORTANT!

As of the 31st of August, 2014 the Immortal Geisha forums has ceased accepting membership requests and become read only. To read further about this, please visit this thread:

http://immortalgeisha.com/ig_bb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22347

Never fear, though! Immortal Geisha has moved over to Facebook! You can now find us all over here:
Facebook: Immortal Geisha - A Kimono, Kitsuke and Geisha Group

Many deep and profound thanks to everyone who participated and supported the forums over the years. 12 years is a great run for a message board, and here's to continuing the years over on Facebook!

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Obi Length/Tying Methods
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:14 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

I'm designing this goth-lolita outfit with a huge kimono inspiration and rather than making a pre-tied obi for it or whatever, I wanna make a regular obi and actually tie it and everything. However, I don't know the proper length to make the obi (I've seen 12 feet or so usually) and I can't find a way to tie it that I like, so does anyone have any rules/instructions for making a proper obi and have a method of tying it really beautifully? Thanks!  :lovelove

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:29 am 
First Mate Boobie-san (Mod)
First Mate Boobie-san (Mod)

Fav. Motif: apples, tsujigahana
There are literally hundreds of ways to tie obi - the best way to get a feel for what's out there is to buy a musubi book and flip through it or look at pictures of women in kimono and find something you like and ask about it.

The widths of obi vary from about 15cm (hanhaba/tenga) to 32cm (maru) and from about 3.2 meters to 4.2 (odori obi is apparently 4.5, according to The Book of Kimono). If you are larger around, you'll want a longer obi so there's enough material to tie a bow you like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:51 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Only directions for sewing obi that I know are in John Marshall's book Make Your Own Japanese Clothes.
In that book the minimum lenght is te 24"+ waist X 2 (with pads for traditional wear)+ for otaiko 45".

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:41 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Hanachiru wrote:
Only directions for sewing obi that I know are in John Marshall's book Make Your Own Japanese Clothes.
In that book the minimum lenght is te 24"+ waist X 2 (with pads for traditional wear)+ for otaiko 45".

Is that a good book to use?

Search for:
Jump to: