Login * Member Blogs
FAQ *
   Search *
Member Stores
View unanswered posts
View active topics ::

IMPORTANT!

As of the 31st of August, 2014 the Immortal Geisha forums has ceased accepting membership requests and become read only. To read further about this, please visit this thread:

http://immortalgeisha.com/ig_bb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22347

Never fear, though! Immortal Geisha has moved over to Facebook! You can now find us all over here:
Facebook: Immortal Geisha - A Kimono, Kitsuke and Geisha Group

Many deep and profound thanks to everyone who participated and supported the forums over the years. 12 years is a great run for a message board, and here's to continuing the years over on Facebook!

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: [J] Antique Kimono: Taisho Roman Furisode & Hakama
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:06 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: hanabi, goldfish, landscape
Hi guys!

It’s been a long time since I last posted here ^__^ I’ll admit my interest in kimono waned a bit in the past 2 years, but recently, my interest has been picking up again.

I found this book in Kinokuniya Singapore when I was there for a conference a couple of weeks ago and just knew it was something I had to share with the forum.

Hope you guys like the book as much as I do! It really reminds me of our lovely leader and some other members of the forum :D

~shira

振袖&袴の大正ロマン着物帖: アンティーク着物で私らしく装う
ISBN-13: 9784309274584
Language:
:jp Japanese
No. of pages: 112
Book Size: About A5 size
Release Date: 28th January 2014
Amazon.co.jp Link

Disclaimer: For the most part, I am only roughly translating the contents of this book to English, particularly the titles. I am not an expert or even intermediate-level speaker of the Japanese language, but with my trusty Imiwa app and basic knowledge of Japanese grammar, I can get by with guessing the rough meanings of most titles ^^ If there is anyone else who has this book and can correct my translations, please let me know and I will happily amend my book review and credit you for it!

Uh, I also apologize in advance for the awful scans I’ve attached, but well, my office scanner isn’t all that great for books ^^;

Contents:
Pages 2-3 – Introduction/Foreword

Pages 4-5 - Table of Contents

Pages 6-11 – Photos of Models wearing coordinates discussed in the book

Pages 12-15 – Antique Kimono; which designs do you like?

This part is divided into several sub-sections categorizing various patterns and designs on kimono as:
Classic
Classic pop
Taisho Roman
(These three groups are the main categories the rest of the book will refer to.)
On page 15, there is a section entitled “Which group did you like?” that gives a short commentary of the style for the three groups.

Pages 16-39 – Chapter 1: The Joy of Beautiful Furisode
The first two pages start the chapter with 9 style points for furisode, where they talk a bit of how to use various points of your coordinate to suit the “antique kimono” look; for example: the furisode and obi themselves, han’eri, zori, obidome, etc.

The remaining pages of this chapter expand on style points for the 3 main categories (classic, classic pop & Taisho Roman), with a few gorgeous coordinates and “style-suitable” items included as examples and discussion points for each category.

Page 40 – Column 1: “The beauty of a Modern Girl is in the fusion of Japanese & Western”
(Note: The “columns” in this book seem to discuss the history of the styles, but I haven’t even attempted to translate any of the text, so if anyone wants me to scan a page for you to give it a go, do let me know!)

Pages 41-65 – Chapter 2: Graduation Ceremony Kimono & “Going Out” Kimono
Similar to Chapter 1, the first two pages of this chapter highlight and discuss style points for kimono (or komon-patterned furisode) & hakama coordination, this time with 6 points of interest, i.e. kimono, hakama, han’eri, date’eri, under-hakama obi & footwear.

Pages 44-59 discuss the kimono + hakama styles & coordination ideas that match the classic, classic pop & Taisho Roman groups, complete with photos of full coordinates. I especially like one page that discusses changing the colour of hakama, and how it can change the look of your kimono, and the part where they use modern shoes with kimono + hakama coordinates.

The last 6 pages of this chapter focus on coordinating komon-style furisode with obi for everyday casual outfits. Most notably, they mention “removing the hakama and adding an obi” to get maximum use of your antique kimono. The first two coordinates included even use kimono from the kimono x hakama coordinates to show how you can use the same kimono for a more casual situation.

Page 66 - Column 2: “The Graduation Ceremony Hakama Style is an effect of popular manga?!”

Pages 67-79 - Chapter 3: Sunday Best, The Art of Dressing Up

This section is more on your overall look with your kimono, illustrating samples of suitable hairstyles and hair accessories, make-up and even picking out how to tie your obi musubi and obiage to suit the look.

There are also a few pages on Otona style with antique kimono, using houmongi and irotomesode as examples.

Page 80 – Column 3: “Schoolgirl Hakama Style... The Formation & Demise”

Note: From pages 81 onward, the book is in monochrome, i.e. no colour aside from indigo & white.

Pages 81 – 109 – Chapter 4: Notes on Purchasing & Renting Kimono
The first 10 pages of this chapter tackle a Q&A on antique kimono in general, for many topics ranging from the usual how-to-sit/fix-your-kitsuke to other queries such as “should I buy or rent a kimono?”.

The remainder of the chapter has instructions on how to fold your kimono/furisode/juban, as well as a shop directory and a glossary of kimono terms used in the book.

Pages 110 – 111 – Afterword

Page 112 – Publisher’s Details

Pros:
* Small (A5 size) and thin, so easy to carry around.
* The pictures are large and easy to see.
* Many full coordinates, which is a definite plus in the inspirations department!
* There are photos of models wearing some of the coordinates, so you get to see the full outfit “in action”, with styled hair, make-up, obi musubi and all. I think this is a really important point for illustrating how hairstyle and make-up can make or break an outfit.
* If you can read and understand Japanese, it seems the articles in the book would be interesting to read, and full of useful tips and tricks.
* Eye candy! :D

Cons:
* Unlike some other books that are mostly photos with little commentary, I feel that this book will most likely be fully appreciated by people who can read and understand Japanese. (I got really frustrated with trying to translate four or five sentences and ended up rage-quitting for days!)
* Very little furigana, so a little difficult to translate.
* No men's kimono
* No children's kimono
* No kitsuke instructions

Recommended for:
* People interested in kimono coordination
* People who like to look at full coordinates for inspiration
* People interested in “vintage” styles of wearing kimono
* People interested in antique women's casual and formal kimono

Not recommended for:
* People interested in men's/children's kimono
* People interested in learning how to put on kimono or obi
* People wanting to know how to care for their kimono

Scans (poor quality – my apologies!):

Page 7:

Pages 18-19

Page 22:

Page 54:

Page 55:

Pages 58-59:

Page 69:

Page 78:

Page 79:

Post subject: Re: Antique Kimono: Taisho Roman Furisode & Hakama (J)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:54 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Toshiteru
Fav. Geiko: Ayano
Fav. Motif: Asagao, bamboo,
Oooooh

Now main blog!!! http://thingsyoucouldntdo.blogspot.com.au/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:13 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Motif: Stripes and Arabesque
:droolkitti: :droolkitti:

Is the title of this thread the title of the book? Could you provide any information relating the title or ISBN, so people can look up and buy their own copies? I'd love to have my own copy of this book. Thank you so much for posting! The pictures are wonderful.

Elf ears make everything better! :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:02 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: hanabi, goldfish, landscape
Hi FeyVered, I have actually already included all those details at the top of the post, after my note and before the review :) Here it is again in case you missed it.

Btw, the Japanese characters are the book's title. The title of this posts is a very inaccurate translation, but one that I feel captures the main points of the book.

振袖&袴の大正ロマン着物帖: アンティーク着物で私らしく装う
ISBN-13: 9784309274584
Language:
:jp Japanese
No. of pages: 112
Book Size: About A5 size
Release Date: 28th January 2014
Amazon.co.jp Link

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:32 pm 
Geiko-san
Geiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Toshimomo, Mamesaku
Fav. Geiko: Tsuneyu, Sayaka
Fav. Motif: birds/lilies/trees/snow
The pictures are amazing! I want the green furisode and the blue one with birds!

Search for:
Jump to: