Login * Member Blogs
FAQ *
   Search *
Member Stores
View unanswered posts
View active topics ::

IMPORTANT!

IMPORTANT NOTE: While email addresses are protected and hidden from view to both members and guest, if you have recently received unsolicited email contact from any member or former member, please forward it to us. Click to read more.

Becoming a member of the IG community is as simple as registering. To register, please click on "Login", and then "Register". Please note, registrations are activated manually by a moderator, so there may be a tiny delay in signing up and account activation. Registered, but having trouble with login? Please read this thread.

Members new and old, it's always a good time to re-acquaint yourself with the rules. New members, unsure about where to post stuff, or overwhelmed by the number of forums? Please check out the useful thread index.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Festivals - special maiko kanzashi
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:04 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Ayano
Fav. Geiko: Umeha
Fav. Motif: Shochikubai
Geimyo: 秋花 Akihana
I want to say 'hello' with this first post :)

I'm in the process of covering a calendar of kanzashi on my site, and I wanted to include some special kanzashi, like those worn during certain festivals. It's easy to find references on "normal" months, but hard to make sense of most others.

I know that:

- Rice ear with pigeon is worn during the New Year
- Kusudama is both February and Setsubun Festival
- Pinwheel is worn in February, but is it a festive motif for a certain event?
- I've read that there is a special design for Gion Matsuri, changing every year? Does it have any special reoccurring motif?

Do you know any other motifs worth mentioning? I know these questions will make some of you laugh at my inexperience, but I'm FAR better at making kanzashi than my knowledge about them

Post subject: Re: Festivals - special maiko kanzashi
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:30 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Geiko: Ayano
Fav. Motif: trees, waves, abstract
This site has a kanzashi calendar with list of the motifs. http://www.vivcore.com/kanzashicore/maiko.html

There is also a list of motifs on the kanzashi challenge threads.
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=9857&p=104832&hilit=Kanzashi+Challenge#p104832

A great picture resource is flickr, thought the images are Not! royalty free.

Motifs and size of the flower generally change with rank. In most cases the less experienced the maiko the kanzashi is a large bouquet of small flowers (or fans). As she get more experienced she wears larger and fewer flowers. August is the exception it's rare though you can see an experienced maiko can wear 3 flowers , and the junior wears 1. Normally in august you will see a different material used for the pampas grass "flower" for the experienced maikos. First year maikos will wear dangling petals or leaves, and some times tassels. Though some months first years don't wear tassels (january, december, july, and august).

Setsubun has really unique kanzashi, and so does Sakko. Misedashi kanzashi is normally handed down from maiko in the same okiya.
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=16608
Pinwheels are worn my Minaries (girls who have passed the test to become a maiko, though have not made their debut yet). Minarie kanzashi can be morn in in any season.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:00 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Ayano
Fav. Geiko: Umeha
Fav. Motif: Shochikubai
Geimyo: 秋花 Akihana
Thanks! I'll look through the topics, they will be VERY helpful.

Actually the problem of rights to the photos is not a problem to me - I don't intend to redistribute them (though Ohinhide, just before he passed away wrote that I could use his photos, also Ewoodham doesn't mind as long as I give a link to her site). I plan on making a kanzashi calendar with kanzashi I make so... no rights to photos problem here ;)

PLUS

Finally, I got to recognize the kanzashi on this photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23314901@N06/4837976642/

It's a 2010 Gion Matsuri design, and it changes a bit every year (this has butterflies, some have fans - and those funny little flowers I can't yet tell)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:42 pm 
Tayuu
Tayuu

Fav. Maiko: Umehisa, Mameharu, both Ayano
Fav. Geiko: Kotoha, Fukuyû, Ichiraku
Fav. Motif: Tsuta, Kiku leaves, Same
I believe they might be clematis since those are the only 6-petal ones about which I know.

Search for:
Jump to: