Login * Member Blogs
FAQ *
   Search *
Member Stores
View unanswered posts
View active topics ::

IMPORTANT!

IMPORTANT NOTE: While email addresses are protected and hidden from view to both members and guest, if you have recently received unsolicited email contact from any member or former member, please forward it to us. Click to read more.

Becoming a member of the IG community is as simple as registering. To register, please click on "Login", and then "Register". Please note, registrations are activated manually by a moderator, so there may be a tiny delay in signing up and account activation. Registered, but having trouble with login? Please read this thread.

Members new and old, it's always a good time to re-acquaint yourself with the rules. New members, unsure about where to post stuff, or overwhelmed by the number of forums? Please check out the useful thread index.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Why are certain Maiko/Geiko your favorites?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:12 pm 
If this has already been answered please delete the thread! :lol:

Why did and how do you choose your favorite maiko and geiko? Do you judge based on their attractiveness, their unique style (like kanzashi, obidome etc), their similarities to you? Their district or popularity?

I'm currently on the fence over who I like, they are all pretty unique in their own ways :)

Post subject: Re: Why are certain Maiko/Geiko your favorites?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:39 am 
Furisode Shinzo
Furisode Shinzo

Fav. Geiko: Sayuki
Fav. Motif: kingyo, usagi, and ajisai
You choose your favorite Maiko/Geiko simply by all the things you listed or maybe you love how she dances or if she is the one you have met in person =D . It is alot like your favorite muscian or actor/actress. You just like them for them I guess you good say. :)

I personally love Sayuki because she is the first foreign full time geisha and her style is awesome!!!! :]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:35 pm 
Kamuro
Kamuro

Fav. Geiko: Kikutsuru
Fav. Motif: Ume, Matsu, Hakata!!!
I think a love for a Geiko/Maiko in particular can't be really explain.
That's inexplicable sometimes like when you become friend with a person without particular affinities.

When i see Kikutsuru ( my fav Geiko, if i could have 1% of her beauty i would be happy. She's priceless!!! :lovelove ) for the first time, it was love at first sight.

But i admit there could be reasons, especially for them who had the chance to meet a Geiko/Maiko in real life, like the kindness of one, the dance of another,...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:33 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Toshiyui
Fav. Geiko: Miehina
Fav. Motif: Peacocks, yabane, usagi
My favorite is Toshyui. This because I met her and had the pleasure of being entertained by her. She was such a sweetie! It also helps that she's as cute as a button and very friendly. :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:48 pm 
Tayuu
Tayuu

Fav. Maiko: Umehisa, Mameharu, both Ayano
Fav. Geiko: Kotoha, Fukuyû, Ichiraku
Fav. Motif: Tsuta, Kiku leaves, Same
Just a point: Maiko accessories reflect their okiya's choices, not their own. I'd guess the only things they get to choose personally are their obi-kazari (netsuke) and kinchaku plushy. Komomo said her okiya allowed its maiko to chose their obijime, but that's that. She was allowed to wear mascara once in the six years she'd been a maiko.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:34 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Maiko: Kyouka, Kosen, Mameyuri
Fav. Geiko: Umeha, Kikutsuru, Kimika
Fav. Motif: hikizuri - kusudama/hagoita
I think Fumihana is an adorable maiko, even though she's kinda...cross eyed. Whatever.
But Mameyuri is stunning. She debuted looking like a full grown woman. Sort of creepy for a first year. But stunning. truly.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:57 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Maiko: Koyoshi, Umeraku, Kosen
Fav. Geiko: Kimika, Kikuyu, Mamehana
Fav. Motif: Fuji, Ume, Maneki Neko
I think it's a lot in the way they carry themselves, the individuality of their makeup etc. Kimika, for example I find to be such a beautiful woman, with and without her makeup she is stunning- especially in that red-wave hikizuri that I swear I have seen her wearing as a geiko with shorter sleeves. And i'm sure it's even more personal in meeting a geiko or a maiko, regardless of how beautiful they or their kitsuke are.

But that said, I also find Kimika and Kikumaru wonderful subjects to draw. Working as an artist, there are certain faces you see and think "I want to draw that"
Like Wakana for example, her features are so unlike the other geiko, she looks incredible in her katsura. I think all geiko and maiko have a cerntain charm, it's just your preference.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:04 pm 
Furisode Shinzo
Furisode Shinzo

Fav. Maiko: Tanewaka_Fukusato
Fav. Geiko: Fukuya_Fukunao
Fav. Motif: ume, nami, Ohaguro
Geimyo: Tamazou 玉蔵
What draws me to certain maiko and geiko are their looks, having never actually met one. Though, I don't just see a picture of an obviously beautiful geiko like Kikutsuru or Tsunemomo and think 'they're my favorite because they are beautiful'. It's more than that. Personally, I actually study the pictures I can find of maiko/geiko that I like and look for bits of their personality shining through. I think they are all beautiful in their own way; not all of them outwardly, but that doesn't factor in as much as how they carry themselves (or rather, are captured on film carrying themselves). I'm not very big into maiko for this reason. They look shy, awkward sometimes, and just plain nervous. I suppose that is part of their charm, but I prefer the elegance and grace of an accomplished geiko. I never really liked Makiko as a maiko because she looked boney and awkward, but in her geiko pictures she has this beautiful confidence and she's really growing on me.

I am also a fan of Kikuno, from the Nara hanamachi (Ganrin-in), but lately she seems to be looking cracked out, and her makeup isn't as nice as I remember it. Don't get me wrong, she is a stunning woman without the makeup, but in full geiko regalia she seems strange now, more like an actress than an actual geiko. Maybe I'm just nuts lol :D.

My favorite maiko are:
Tanewaka; She is very beautiful to me, and she looks a lot like I remember my first best friend's little brother looking like. She brings back fond memories of being younger, of laughing, and just having that friendship. I think she is a great dancer and she seems like a real person under the makeup, with feelings and desires outside of the geiko world (I'm sure they all do, but this really shines through in Tanewaka for me). She sort of has a vintage look, to me. I'm not sure if she will become a geiko, but that would be something to cross off of my "hopes/dreams" list. :lovelove
Katsuru; She doesn't seem to have that awkwardness that other maiko have. She looks very mature and I hear she is very popular and progressing quickly. I'm 100% sure she'll make a wonderful geiko. And she has such expressive eyes; the makeup does very little to give her face that 'mask-like' look it's supposed to convey, which I really like.
Ichiteru; So fricken' cute! lol, I think she is the cutest maiko in the karyukai, and I know she will become such a beautiful woman. I really hope she becomes a geiko. She has a sort of otherworldly, glazed look, like she's looking inward, which gives depth and maturity to her babyface. It's hard to put into words why I like any one maiko/geiko over the other, it's like when you just sort of click with people. Don't question it just go with the flow, lol.

My favorite geiko are:
Mameyoshi; she has a very strange, alienesque face. I love the shape of her jaw and her eyes and her lips, and she has one of the best noses I have ever seen, lol. But what really drew me to her was her voice. She's a jikata geiko, and I think the jikata geiko don't get as much recognition as the dancers, but when watching maiko/geiko dance my focus is on the music (primarily). Her voice is clear and strong and beautiful. I've only ever seen her face painted up as a maiko and during a Setsubun play (she would make a gorgeous tayuu); I wish she got the chance to paint her face more often.
Kotoha; I was not a fan of her at first, as a maiko. I think she looks gawky and weird, but as she neared her erikae she blossomed. I know she's always been popular, even as a maiko (most popular for a while, wasn't/isn't she?), and she has a reputation for being haughty, but she looks like living artwork to me. When I conjure up geiko lovestories in my head, she is always the face and demeanor that comes to mind.
Momiji; She was a geiko back in the 50s, probably 60s? I have no real explanation for liking her other than the grace I have seen in a few old black and white pictures. I guess she just sticks out to me,she looks like the kind of woman an artist would want to paint, for her personality and beauty.

Really I'm just going on intuition when I like certain maiko/geiko, and for all I know they could be dirtbags (though I highly doubt it). I would love to become more intimate with the karyukai and be able to attend dances and ozashiki, so as to make more informed judgements, but for right now I am a lowly college student living vicariously through photos

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:48 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Motif: Ume, matsu
I'm just a creep who thinks Kimiyu is awfully pretty. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:19 am 
First Mate Shiba-san (Mod)
First Mate Shiba-san (Mod)

Fav. Geiko: Naosuzu, Fumiyu & Miehina!
Fav. Motif: dog
I don't think it's beauty very much as talent and how they present themselves. I have a great love for an experienced geiko.

I have met a few geiko and have enjoyed all of their company, but some stand out more than others. Fumiyu (Miyagawa) is probably my favourite geiko because she's fiesty and oh so talented. She and I got on like a house on fire and I will cherish the time I spent with her for a lifetime. I do hope to see her one day again on a future visit to Japan. Naosuzu (Kamishichiken) is my next favourite. I have never met her but from photographs I just love the way she carries herself. She just exudes class!

And now our Miehina is a geiko, I must add her as well. She is so graceful and so much fun to be around.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:08 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Ichiwaka, Manaha, Mameharu
Fav. Geiko: Fukunao, Ichiyuri, Yukako
Fav. Motif: Ships, waves, people
Geimyo: Kikyouhaka 桔梗波夏
I admit it was Fukunao's sheer looks that first caught my eye. She's so distinctive, so pretty... But the more I looked at her photos, the more I loved her style as well. She's very graceful. She just seems to embody "geiko" to me.

"I didn't always want to be a bovine vet. I wanted to be a wildlife vet. You know, one of those sexy vets on documentaries that shoots polar bears with tranquilizers from a helicopter. Then I realized those weren't vet, they were usually grad students, and they didn't make any money."
- Dr M

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:31 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Toshiteru, Tsuruha
Fav. Geiko: Mamehana, Kimitomo, Sachiko,
Fav. Motif: Iris, wisteria, cranes
Geimyo: Himeharuka 姫春華
I decided I should update the little "fav. maiko" and "fav. geiko" thingies under my name before answering, and then decided that the list of favorite maiko was too long, so it's gone now. I'll just talk about them instead.

So, for geiko, I really like Umeha. It's a pure looks things really, since I've never even seen a video of her dancing or anything. She's just really beautiful. Also, she has the most awesome purple kimono like ever. Awesome purple kimono earn massive points for anyone in my book.

Miyoharu is also a favorite of mine, because I met her and she was nice.

Mamechiho seems cool. I thought she was pretty and all, but it took that picture of her following a duck to make her one of my favorites. Seriously, that's just adorable.

Tsuruha became one of my favorites when I saw this picture. It doesn't strike me as the typical graceful and reserved maiko-under-cherry-blossoms pose, and she just looks so darn happy.

I like Takamari, Mamemaru, and Marie because I met them and got to chat with them. They weren't even working, they were just out shopping for kanzashi or something and I happened to be in the store at the same time.

So yeah, I tend to like the ones I meet, or the ones who really grab me in pictures for some reason.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:11 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Maiko: Mameharu, Kyouka, Katsuru
Fav. Geiko: Umeha, Naosome
Fav. Motif: Tsuru, Seigaiha
Umeha's also a favorite of mine, for the same reason, that she is very iki and classically beautiful... and she is a really graceful dancer. Here's a video of her for you Chissprincess, also Naosome and Ichiteru are featured.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB1A5AIz3eI

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:28 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Geiko: Miehina, Tsuruha
Fav. Motif: Yuki, Mizu, Birds, Floral
That's actually Katsuya. Someone needs to post a video of her. I demand it! :lol:

I like almost every Geiko and Maiko for some reason. Whether they are super cute or beautiful dancers. I guess I'm indecisive... :ohno:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:04 pm 
Furisode Shinzo
Furisode Shinzo

My favorite geiko is Sayoko. I really like her because she makes the same facial expressions as I do! I think she has also very good taste in kimono. As for my favorite maiko, Yasuha, I always thought she was so cute and funny-looking :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:40 pm 
Tayuu
Tayuu

Fav. Maiko: Umehisa, Mameharu, both Ayano
Fav. Geiko: Kotoha, Fukuyû, Ichiraku
Fav. Motif: Tsuta, Kiku leaves, Same
I recently had to add Fukuyû from Miyagawa-chô to my list of favourites. She's just so incredibly graceful and elegant in her demeanour!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:31 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Maiko: Toshiteru
Fav. Geiko: Katsuru, Mamechiho
Fav. Motif: carp, kikkou, water wheel
chissprincess wrote:
Mamechiho seems cool. I thought she was pretty and all, but it took that picture of her following a duck to make her one of my favorites. Seriously, that's just adorable.

Agreed!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:57 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Mamechiho
Fav. Geiko: Suzuha
Fav. Motif: Mochibana, wisteria
OctoGirlie wrote:
chissprincess wrote:

Agreed!

Mamechiho has a giant crazy personality, it's so fun! I don't know how she'll be a geiko with it lol but she's so awesome that it may not matter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:23 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Fukusuzu
Fav. Geiko: Kimika and Mayuha
I have a soft spot for all of the maiko and geiko whose misedashi or erikae I attended (so Kotoha, Koyoshi, Makiko, Fukusuzu, Toshichika, Mamesaku, Marie, Kimika, and Wakana), along with Mamehana and Kyouka since they were always so much fun to photograph (and their pictures always came out really well). So, I guess in that regard they're favorites of mine because I (sort of) met them.

But for all-time favorites, it has to be Kikuyuu and Mayuha... neither of which I was ever able to photograph when they were wearing the full look :cry:. For both of them, it's the sort of image they have that I really like. I wish I knew more about them personally, though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:09 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Maiko: Mameharu, Kyouka, Katsuru
Fav. Geiko: Umeha, Naosome
Fav. Motif: Tsuru, Seigaiha
Ichiemi wrote:
That's actually Katsuya. Someone needs to post a video of her. I demand it! :lol:

Ahh darn, and I was so hopeful :lol: well Katsuya is an incredible dancer then! And I definitely second the demand for Umeha video! She must be really talented to have been accepted into an okiya as a geiko and skip the maiko stage altogether.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:46 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Kyouka-chan
Fav. Geiko: Tsuneyu-san, Mamesuzu-san
Fav. Motif: Scenery, Waves, Snow
Geimyo: 雪流
The Geiko who made me say: WOW was Kimika. She was the very first Geisha I've seen (I only knew Mineko Iwasaki before and I think she also belongs to my favourites, since she was the first I've "discovered" ^^) in the internet.

I love the matura and graceful look of a geiko, especially Kimina and Tsuneyuu. They are simply stunning when they move, hold the fan, dance etc.

I always swore that Mamechiho would never be one of my favorites. She's so cute and cool and her smile is adorable - but she is already SO popular (I don't like it if everyone loves the one I love xD). However... after that picture I couldn't any longer restist her :lovelove

I didn't like Mamehana as a Maiko, she always looked so shy but cute. She was even pretty as a Maiko but I missed something... Now as a Geiko she that missing thing is gone and she's awesome!

And last but not least: Mamesuzu. She's so lovely and seems to be a happy and humorus person. Everytime I see pictures of her I have to smile, she simply is wonderful.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:40 am 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Ayano
Fav. Geiko: Umeha, Mamechiho
Fav. Motif: Water, Wistera
Seconding the Kimika thing, because of the red hiki.

My favorite Geiko is Umeha though, because I know she must be extremely talented to have been accepted later in life. Particularly in Kamishichicken. She's one of the most stunning women I've ever seen, and I'm fairly certain I fell in love with her at first sight. :oops:

And whenever I see Mamechiho, I just smile. :lovelove What I love most about Mamechiho is that she never showed the strain. I've only ever seen her look exhausted once. She always smiles, and clearly loved the job.

I love them all though, I love seeing them mature and grow from Misedashi to Erikae, it's actually a pretty special transformation to be privy to...

... Even if it's only via flickr and youtube. :coy:

When I think of Japan, I think of the colour Red.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:59 pm 
Okasan
Okasan

Fav. Maiko: Satsuki,Kimihiro,Tomitsuyu,
Fav. Geiko: Sayaka,Miehina,Mana/Kana
Fav. Motif: flowers,peacock,butterfly
Geimyo: 昊蓮 - Kouren
Kikuyu was the first one that i discovered and since then i've been following others (mainly Miyagawacho)

For newer maiko like Satsuki and Ayako, i've been following them since the Shikomi stage and i like them a lot even though it is only from pictures :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:38 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Maiko: Kyoka, Toshiteru
Fav. Geiko: Sayaka, Fukuteru
Fav. Motif: pines, water, bamboos
My most favourite maiko is Toshiteru. Why? Because she is a cutie, I love her way of dancing and I love that even though she is a senior (a period when many maiko look so grown up) she looks as cute as she did when she was a first year maiko.

My second favourite is Kyoka because she is the most beautiful maiko I ever seen and all photos of her are a masterpiece. :coy:

I also loved Kimika as senior maiko because she really knew how to dress. Her way of tying her obijime, her make-up...she was the perfect exemple for a senior maiko.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:55 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Fav. Maiko: Kikuyu-san
Fav. Geiko: Fukunao-san
Fav. Motif: Hydrangea,Peacock, Carp
Geimyo: Fujimiya 藤宮
My favorite Geiko would be Geiko Satomi-san from Gion Kobu. She seemed to be very polite, coy, classy and elegant. I also love her more becuase she is feature in the photo book called The 100 images of Geisha and Maiko in Kyoto. Plus all the pastel colors hikis and accessories suit her well. Too bad I could not find a picture of her when she was still a miko.
Wisteriaobi :coy:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:26 pm 
Okasan
Okasan

Wisteriaobi, i think you might wonder why you didn't find pictures when she was a Maiko... Since she debuted around 1991/1992

See this picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29015725@N ... 3347153831

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:15 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Gikuyu san, thank you so very much. I thought i was dreaming when I saw her picture as a maiko. If you have her pictures in color as a maiko, it would be my honor to see them. I do not think there is an individual tread for her yet though in this forum.
Thank you so very much for sharing
Sincerly yours,
Wisteriaobi :coy:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:00 pm 
Okasan
Okasan

Wisteriaobi, see your inbox ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:26 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Geiko: Sayuki
Hello, I'm new here and am researching more in-depth on geishas as I plan to write about it.
I saw this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6ymVTPblLk on a geisha banquet by Saiyuki and think it's pretty awesome.

Anyone can tell me any other geishas (foreign or japanese) that offers it in an easily accessible manner?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:14 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Maiko: Fukuhina, Momotaro
Fav. Geiko: Kotoha, Wakana, Toshihana
Fav. Motif: Fuji, Dragon, Peony
Geimyo: Shinju/Jinju 神呪
Hmm...I'm not too sure why I like certain Maiko and Geiko! I like the maiko and geiko that I think look unique like Kotoha and Wakana! I think it is because they are easy to identify :lol: !! I also like Fukuhina because she looks like me (I swear...she totally does!!)!! I also like momotaro, because the smiles even though she knows her teeth will look very yellow~! I guess I enjoy her confidence!

...I guess that does not really answer your question (or does it??? :lol:)!

~Jinju진주 :lovelove

Jinju means patience. I am a clam, and I must be patient in order to create a pearl. I am no flower, and I will not bloom, but I will create something beautiful, and my name will be known, so long as I am patient, and wait for that pearl to form.
~진주

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:14 am 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Maiko: Kanoyumi,Kanoka,Kanoemi
Fav. Geiko: Masayo,Tsuneyuu,Kikuyuu
Geimyo: つね花
My favourite Maiko will always be Kanoyumi (and she will be my #1 Geiko after her Erikae,too♥),since I first saw a picture of her it was instant attraction (That sounded weird :creepo:...lol)
I grew to like her more and more,and I've hopelessly fallen in love with her (No homo though...well,maybe a bit :oops:)
The way she moves,the way she talks,how beautiful and talented she is,I just adore her and admire her so much.Aaaaaaaaaaaaand this is starting to sound like a romantic confession :coy:
Because of Yumichan is that I became so interested on the Karyukai,and I owe her that,because thanks to her I've discovered a wonderful world.
She makes me happy,she really does :)
(MOST EMOTIONAL REPLY EVER! :lovelove)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:38 pm 
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Fav. Maiko: ,Momotaro,Fukuhina,
Fav. Geiko: Kikuno,Kotoha, toshihana,
Fav. Motif: fuji, waves, flowers
Geimyo: Ichisumu
I personally love kikuno! She is lovely and a very good entertainer ( i met her at an ozashiki)! :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:18 pm 
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Geiko Fukumomo San is one of my favorite geikos-san because she play shamisen and she inspired me to keep taking shamisen lesson

Search for:
Jump to: