[JP] From Zero Knowledge - Kimono and Playing Primer.

Fabricmagpie
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

[JP] From Zero Knowledge - Kimono and Playing Primer.

Post by Fabricmagpie » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:00 pm

知識ゼロからの着物と遊ぼう入門
(Chishiki zero kara no kimono to asobou nyumon)
From Zero Knowledge - Kimono and Playing Primer.
By Ishibashi Fuji (Petaco-san)
ISBN-13: 978-4344902626
Language: Japanese
Amazon.jp: can be purchased here

The sequel to Kimono and Living (click for my review) and just as full of fantastic ideas and taking your kimono exploration to a new level.
This one is more focused on making than the first book.

Of particular interest I found:
- Ways of working around kimono that aren't a perfect size for you.
- Glamming up haneri and juban using offcuts
- Adapting old hitoe to overwear (for working around the house)
- Recommended packing list and tips for travelling by plane in kimono (including things to keep in mind going through security)

Recommended for:
- For those who enjoy DIY ideas on personalising their kitsuke
- For those that love a "you can do this", "mistakes are fine" attitude to kimono
- For those who want to learn more incidental things about japanese culture through kimono

Not Recommended for:
- For those who seeking precise and kimono-salon style how-to instructions
- For those who want clear colour reference photographs or specific colour selection instructions
- For those who are intimidated by Japanese-only text
- For people specifically wanting to sew the kimono garment itself

Chapters:
1 Audacious enjoyment. Look 10 years younger.
2 Playing with useful and popular accessories.
3 Simple and pretty, hand made to wear.
4 Stylish in kimono, where to go?
5 Kimono, deeply integrated with history

You can see a few scanslations I have done from the book to promote it to English-only readers here:
http://fabricmagpienest.tumblr.com/tagg ... ko-monthly
I don't yet have many of this particular volume yet but will be adding to this collection little by little

koneko
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Re: [JP] From Zero Knowledge - Kimono and Playing Primer.

Post by koneko » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:45 pm

Hi! Just followed your link and then have been wandering around your Tumblr pages - fab to see! I'm amazed and impressed that you've managed (worked!) to integrate kimono into your life to this degree :smile:

The kimono measurement tool was also particularly useful - I've never seen one before. I don't have a Tumblr account, and was unable to find a way to enlarge the pages you'd translated enough to read the text - is there a way to do this??

You have so many wonderful kimono - beautiful tsumugi checks! (At least they looked tsumugi!) Standing at 5'9 myself, I find I'm also weirdly jealous of your neat ohasori underneath all those fantastic obi :sick:

Fabricmagpie
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Post by Fabricmagpie » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:17 am

koneko wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:45 pm
I don't have a Tumblr account, and was unable to find a way to enlarge the pages you'd translated enough to read the text - is there a way to do this??
If you right click and select "Open image in new tab" you should be able see (and save if wanted) the files at full size - which is large.
koneko wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:45 pm
You have so many wonderful kimono - beautiful tsumugi checks! (At least they looked tsumugi!) Standing at 5'9 myself, I find I'm also weirdly jealous of your neat ohasori underneath all those fantastic obi :sick:
In a Nanao magazine I came across a neat hack for short kimono- you put the kumihimo for the lower fold lower on your hips. I will find and scanslate that article some time in the near future because it is a neat trick that can eek out a bit more Ohashori (I'm 5'6ish).

~FabricMagpie

koneko
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Post by koneko » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:47 pm

Ah, thanks, now I seen them full size!

On the ohasori thing, I should explain--I love early Taisho kimono, which come somewhere between 135-150cm length. My kimono length is 175cm... you can see where the problem is now... :twitch:

I've done so many cheats over the years, like buy ensemble pieces with matching haori so I can cut it up and add fabric to the matching kimono's waist and sleeves, bought a kuro-tomesode specifically to cut out the waist and create a separate ohasori which is stitched onto a waisband and ties and worn under my obi, whilst wearing favorite too-short kuro-tomesodes, bought hikizuri to wear as standard kimono...the list goes on.

I'm always open to new suggestions for this age-old problem tho! :bashful: