Wait...do I see a moth hole?!

koneko
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Wait...do I see a moth hole?!

Post by koneko » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:16 pm

Hi,

Well, I found a carpet beetle in my kimono room today, so I'm in all-out panic mode! :gah:

Yes, I know it was just one beetle, and it could have crawled in there from outside...but I took ownership of a very old Meiji furi last month, and it had a few moth holes in it (looked like moth not beetle to me, judging from the spaced nature). They looked old, and there were no signs of new ones, but I have a habit of hanging any newly-arrived kimono out for a month to acclimatize, before I put them into tatoshi, and it's a bit of a coincidence that a carpet beetle showed up a few weeks later, just underneath another Meiji furi that was out on display (one I'd had for years, and has no damage whatsoever).

I know that carpet beetles are just as dangerous to silk as fabric moths, and am thinking of using the preventative anti-moth drawer papers--one on each shelf of my kimono closet, and wondered if anyone had used them? I don't want to end up getting a headache every time I go in the room! :unsure:

The alternative plan is to put each kimono into a large plastic lidded box along with an anti-moth paper (not touching the silk of course) for about eight weeks, then take them out and air them. I know that in the enclosed box the strips will kill every stage of the beetles, if there are any.

So yeah...anybody used the anti-moth paper?

Also, yeah, I know I'm over-reacting here... :twitch: :frazzled: :twitch:

Quat
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Re: Wait...do I see a moth hole?!

Post by Quat » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:53 pm

I don't think you're over reacting. I've never heard of moth repelling paper before, but it sounds like a good investment! It won't interact weird with anything in your closet, right? What I would like to start doing, is once or twice a year, remove everything from my closet/shelf/dresser, clean and vacuum the areas, and inspect closely for unwanted guests.

koneko
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Post by koneko » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:14 pm

Thank you for humoring me! :bashful: I really like the sound of the moth repellent paper (I think it's relatively new) because you can cut it to size, so you get the perfect dose for the space, meaning you can place a cut-to-size piece on each shelf, rather than one of those more general hanging plastic wardrobe things. I just feel like I'm getting full circulation through each individual shelf which divides the shelved wardrobe space I use. Plus I don't like the idea of over-dosing if I'm sealing my nice kimono into a box with no fresh air for a month or two! The manufacturers also claim that the paper won't damage fabric even with full contact, though I haven't tried that yet--I have a couple of old kimono I'm willing to sacrifice, though, so I will at some point :unsure:

Yeah, I also keep meaning to do the whole 'clean out the whole space and wipe it down with liquid repellent' thing too--I really do! I gotta get on top of that :oops: I worry a little about having all these chemicals wafting about in the house, though--do you? I have a liquid that you can spray around the edges of the room, but I don't use it for that very reason. Still, I'm aware that my problem ( and everyone's here!) is that I have about 200-plus kimono (as well as obi and silk bolts) in one place, so it's basically like clothes-moth heaven in there!

I wonder if anyone is on top of that kind of thing? Does anyone know anyone who's had any kind of reaction to the insecticides? I've read that if you keep a lot of older kimono (I collect vintage stuff), mould spores and particles can be a possible irritant, too.

Curious now--does anyone get the prize for actually doing the whole the prevention thing? ?

Quat
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Post by Quat » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:19 pm

I've unintentionally taken everything out because my main area of storage for kimono doesn't have enough shelving, kimono get piled high, and end up collapsing right out of the shelf forcing me to refold and restack everything. :frazzled:
Maybe with the bonus from work I'm getting soon, I can invest in a nice Ikea dresser....
Actually this has me thinking... bed bugs are a terrible problem in my state. I really really really should look into some sort of bug repellent in ALL my shelves. And with spring coming, really need to check the windows in my apartment. I always find stink beetles. T_T
Where's that bottle of lavender oil...