Kanzashi & Haneri - how do you store them?

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Kanzashi & Haneri - how do you store them?

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:38 am

NAME: IYOLIN

My little kanzashi collection is growing, and now I've a dilemma - how to store them. How do you keep yours, especially those of you who make tsumami kanzashi?

I have some barrettes that are fabric bows, flowers, little pins, etc. I have only a few little sticks, but also some larger flowers on alligator clips (not specifically kanzashi, but I can wear them as such). Most recent acquisition is a tsumami flower (the Pinwheel Rose (teal, purple, white)) from Magpie Creations, which garnered me many compliments this past weekend at a wedding, worn with a Western dress.

I was thinking of getting something like this clear-drawer plastic storage unit (no wheels) that could sit on top of the tansu. An all-wood unit would match the tansu better, but not allow me to see what's inside. I have this (IKEA Fira?) already with haneri and some stuff in it; do I get another like that (if IKEA even sells them still; I can't find them online), or go for the clear plastic? Does material of the storage container matter?

If the box is best, I need to store the haneri in something else. How do you store your haneri?

I've learned I like being able to see what I have, but it also is more visually distracting, in a way. I'm open to other solutions!

(x-posted on the kimonoworld LJ, but garnered no replies yet)

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Re: Kanzashi & Haneri - how do you store them?

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:38 am

NAME: HELLOKITTY8182

My haneri are just neatly folded in my kitsuke box with all my obiage and obijime. I figure that haneri are part of coordinating so why not keep all those bits and pieces in one place.

As for kanzashi, I only have tsumami ones and for the ones that I do not wear often, I keep those in a cardboard boxes with tissue paper and then put them into a plastic box under the bed. This is to avoid moisture and dust since tsumami kanzashi can be a tricky to dust easily. However for the ones that I wear often, they just sit on my dresser next to my array of brushes and combs.

Unfortunately those Ikea "fira" wooden drawers are no longer available :ohno: but they do sell something very similar called "moppe" that is already ready made but they are not has deep.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20221864/

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:39 am

NAME: KOKORO

Ikea :) But I have the 2 drawers version

On top are kanzashi, obidome and haori himo, on the bottom drawer dateeri (left) and haneri (right).

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:39 am

hellokitty8182 wrote: As for kanzashi, I only have tsumami ones and for the ones that I do not wear often, I keep those in a cardboard boxes with tissue paper and then put them into a plastic box under the bed. This is to avoid moisture and dust since tsumami kanzashi can be a tricky to dust easily. However for the ones that I wear often, they just sit on my dresser next to my array of brushes and combs.

Ohhh I never thought about having to dust them off. >.< Getting into the crannies in tsumami kanzashi must be annoying.

Right now, the ones I have are in a little cardboard box, no tissue (they're just fabric bows). I've some sort of feathery fascinator things, too, along with some shibori hair thingers and flowers on pins and stuff. I might have to store them in different places. I'm just really lazy with the boxes - I don't like having to dig through the stack to get to the one I want, so I figure drawers are the way for me to go. It's finding the right sized drawer-thing that's going to confound me for a while.

My haneri are in that Fira box, as mentioned, but the drawer is full (many homemade ones). I think I'll have to find something else for the fans - I don't use those as often, and they're in the other horizontal drawer - which would free up the second drawer for haneri. It's just a matter of knowing what I have. Might need to take pics of them or something to refer to when dressing so I don't have to dig around through all of them first.

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:40 am

NAME: IYOLIN

Unfortunately, IKEA Canada doesn't have Moppe yet (at least not online). I think I might have to find a thing to store my haneri and fans (which fit so nicely in it :( ). Boo, organizing stuff on the cheap can be difficult. I might just wait and see what happens; maybe Moppe will be available by the end of the year.

I did, however, find this cool decorating idea (among others):

Sayuri Rose
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Post by Sayuri Rose » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:52 am

I have a small/medium jewelry box for mine. One of my kanzashi just barely fits into it whereas the others fit just fine. It's got smaller jewelry storage that goes over the undivided bottom.

aethyreal
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Post by aethyreal » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:12 pm

My kanzashi are wrapped in tissue paper and small boxes that are then put in a clear plastic box that lives in my tansu. Not ideal but it works for now :smile: I currently keep my han-eri, date-eri, and kakae-obi in a box that an expensive laptop came in (you know, the heavy kind with a smooth semi-gloss finish and a tight fitting lid.)

I do have a question on han-eri folding: After the han-eri has been attached, it has creases along the long edges were it was tacked to the under collar. I find those creases can be helpful in re-attaching the collar to a new juban... Does anyone ever store their han-eri with the creases intact or does everybody flatten them before folding?