Geisha/Maiko dinner experiences in Kyoto

Satsuki
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Geisha/Maiko dinner experiences in Kyoto

Post by Satsuki » Fri May 12, 2017 8:28 pm

First of all I hope it's ok to post this in this subforum; I wasn't quite sure if I should post it here or in the Karyuukai forum.

Anyway, I'm (finally! :sword: ) planning a trip to Japan later on this fall and naturally one of the things on my must-do list was to plan some sort of geisha/maiko activity.

There are several tour companies and the like that offer "Maiko experiences" where tourists can pay a set amount to participate in ozashiki games/tea ceremonies/dances/dinner ceremonies with maiko, and these services offer translators who I assume help to interact better with the maiko and explain what's going on.

One of the organizations I found that offers these is the Kodoukan cultural center in Kyoto, so it seems like that would be a reputable organization to go through.

What I was wondering was, has anyone here participated in any of these experiences? I've read all the reviews I could find online but they're all by regular tourists who don't really know a lot about maiko/geiko, and I was hoping to see if anyone with a little bit more knowledge on the subject had ever done one of these. I know it won't really be the most "authentic maiko experience" but I figure it's as close as I can probably get in the short time I'll be in Japan.