Edo Stuff!!!!

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Edo Stuff!!!!

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:56 pm

Kuroneko

Konnichiwa Everbody!!! I'm working on a story/manga ( i know i know i should finish the other ones but i find it easier to do more than 1 at a time). It takes place in the Edo period and it's called "Kabuki Chaos". It's about a bunch of guys who are Kabuki actors. I'm kind of having trouble finding stuff about the edo era. Well it's not necissarily hard to find info, but i need pics. I need to know about edo-style kimono (men's and women's) and hairstyles. It really won't help to just have a discription because since it's a manga, i need to know how to draw it. So i was just wondering if anyone could direct me to some websites with pictures of edo dress and hairtyles, as well as some kabuki websites with pics.
Thank you everybody!

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Re: Edo Stuff!!!!

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:57 pm

Bai Mianxi

For woodblock prints (all Edo):
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/pp/jpdhtml/jpdback.html

And a breakout exhibition of particular subjects:
http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/ukiyo-e/

Just a start, of course.

--Bai

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:57 pm

Rogue Angel

Which part of the Edo Period? It lasted from 1603 to 1867...over 200 years! Late Edo dress would have been quite different from early Edo dress. If you narrow your time frame down to a specific shogunate or decade, that might help you.

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:58 pm

Bai Mianxi

Forgot to mention how I found the source I posted--Google Image Search. It's amazing, always, provided you know the word for what you're looking for. Try "kabuki" and "Edo," or "Edo" and "woodblock," or "Edo" and "kimono." Far, far fewer irrelevant links than straight searching. (Straight searches are easier if you add the word "museum" or "library" to the keywords...not all the links will be to museum or library sites, but they will at least be sites with bibliographies, which are always good to have."

As for book reference--go see my friend Abe. http://www.abebooks.com/ Abe is "Advanced Book Exchange," almost as much fun as your local used bookstore, and much easier to search through. It's used bookstores (bookshops?) all over the world, carrying all kinds of books, in a wide array of languages. Doing research on India, I wound up buying books from four continents, and (much like the used kimono market) the shipping is often the lion's share of the price.

See you in the stacks.
--Bai

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:58 pm

Kuroneko

Tokis-Phoenix wrote:
Kuroneko wrote:
Konnichiwa Everbody!!! I'm working on a story/manga ( i know i know i should finish the other ones but i find it easier to do more than 1 at a time). It takes place in the Edo period and it's called "Kabuki Chaos". It's about a bunch of guys who are Kabuki actors. I'm kind of having trouble finding stuff about the edo era. Well it's not necissarily hard to find info, but i need pics. I need to know about edo-style kimono (men's and women's) and hairstyles. It really won't help to just have a discription because since it's a manga, i need to know how to draw it. So i was just wondering if anyone could direct me to some websites with pictures of edo dress and hairtyles, as well as some kabuki websites with pics.
Thank you everybody!
Love Kuroneko♥

What part of the Edo period are you setting the story in? The Edo period is a very long period in Japanese history as nother has pointed out, hundreds of styles in the wearing of kimono and obi came and went during the edo period.

it takes place in 1705

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:59 pm

tsuru

It is probably a bit late for you now, but there is a nice exhibition catalogue that has kosode of the day and paintings
'When Art became fashion'.
http://www.amazon.com/When-Art-Became-F ... 083480266X
and talks in some detail about the colours and so on as well as who was on the throne at what time etc.