The white tie in a Heian Lady's hair and other stuff

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

The white tie in a Heian Lady's hair and other stuff

Post by IG Team » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:43 pm

Yuurei-hime

What's it made of and what's it called? I have been wanting to duplicate it but can't tell how I'd make one or even buy one. It seems to be some kind of stiff paper but I really don't know much about it. Any information is appreicated.

Also, is there meaning to certain Heian styles that women wore? I know it was pretty much the same for all, but I've seen photos and artist paintings of small variations like 3 ties, one tie, some hair pulled out a little at the top making the hair kind of shawl the shoulders, etc. Some side locks appear to be shorter/longer on some women, don't know if that means something.Was any color other than white paper ever used, etc.?

Thanks for any information. The more exhaustive the better. :)

:heian:

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Re: The white tie in a Heian Lady's hair and other stuff

Post by IG Team » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:43 pm

SuperGrouper

I've heard that the sidelocks were cut when a woman got engaged and were still worn that way after she married... I believe the source was either SCA-JML or the Costume Museum- I think the latter.

I have no clue what it means when they wear more than one. @_@ I just kind of assumed that maybe they wore more to tie it more back when working to keep it out of the way, but it could mean something else... I've never read anything about the number having any meaning. :(

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:44 pm

Hikari

I totally know what you mean, and it's been killing me for a while now. I really want to know, cause I'd like to make one for when I wear kimono, since I don't have many options for up-does since I'm a guy.
Would it help to say that I often see this in anime set in feudal Japan (or supposed to be set). I can't for the life of me find any of the manga examples that I'm thinking of, but I just ran across this character from the new pokemon game. (Which may I say also has some amazing character designs.)

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:44 pm

SuzumeOdori

The name of the paper tie is apparently referred to as "mottoi" 元結 (though that apparently can refer to the actual string used to hold knots in place as well).

Looking into it more, add colors in front to find specific examples:

Shiro-mottoi (white paper tie) 白元結
Kin-mottoi (gold paper tie) 金元結
Kuro-mottoi (black paper tie) 黒元結
E-mottoi (red, yellow, etc.) 絵元結

Apparently, in certain styles using these ties, where the paper is tied in the descending chain of hair down a woman's back means entirely different names for each tie. Ah, Heian people, how we love your insane attention to detail. :lovelove

If anyone's interested in more specific names or details of Heian hairstyles and who wore them when, let me know and I can go back and do an actual translation for other readers of what I found. :heir:

Okay, I *think* that I've found a section in my fave Heian reference book about the hair ties... I can't read enough Japanese to tell if this will help, but here you go: