heian sensu protocol

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

heian sensu protocol

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:29 pm

ensquared

i watched an anime version of genji monogatari and noticed something...
the male characters (genji mostly) are always shown using paper sensu,
the ladies, e.g. Kokiden and the sixth princess always use the bamboo sensu with the tassels at each end.

Was there a rule that each gender had to use a specific type of fan in the heian jidai? or was it just practical...since bamboo sensu had no spaces between the slats and did a better job of concealing the lady's face :D

it is realli a faux pas to use a paper sensu if you were a woman?

just wondering...

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Re: heian sensu protocol

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:29 pm

kugepoet

Hiogi are actually made of hinoki (cypress), not bamboo.

Hiogi are used for the most formal occasions. Hiogi decorated with painted scenes were used exclusively by women. Men sometimes used undecorated ones.

Both sexes used paper sensu, but they are more informal.

If I remember correctly, Sei Shonagon mentions choosing paper and deciding on how to have a fan painted in her diary, The Pillow Book.

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:30 pm

ensquared

cypress fans? wow that's cool...are hiogi still being made? i'm rather intrigued by the tassels and everything.

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:30 pm

kugepoet

Hiogi are still made, pretty much for festival use and formal court occasions. They are very expensive, as you might imagine.

Oh, and another thing, given the high traffic of poems and love notes passed from courtier to courtier via servants, a paper fan is a most excellent medium for writing upon.

There's a scene in the first Onmyoji film where a woman wistfully reads a poem written on a sensu by the Emperor, back when he still loved her.

And the "Samurai Saga," that "Cyrano" adaptation I discovered on Saturday, shows Heihachiro reading one of his poems from a half unfolded fan.

http://www.miho.or.jp/booth/html/artcon/00001861e.htm shows a hiogi from the 14th - 15th century in the Miho Museum (click on it to see details of the decoration).

And here's one in a less pristine state that dates from about a century earlier and was found in an archaological dig at Nitta.
http://www.komakino.jp/h16-ao-nitta-gen ... nsetu.html

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:32 pm

ensquared

kugepoet wrote:
There's a scene in the first Onmyoji film where a woman wistfully reads a poem written on a sensu by the Emperor, back when he still loved her.

onmyoji? the one about abe no seimei? ahhh i loved that!!!

anyway thanks so much for the info on hiogi...i can't afford any but i think i could try to convert one of my sandalwood fans into one...any info on how to make the funny tassels? i'm thinking of sewing nagabakama rite now just to go with with the whole court costume...argh, i'm sooo addicted to genji monogatari.

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:33 pm

kugepoet

I assume the cords are some sort of kumihimo. No idea how to do the poofy bits.

Found an image of a man's hiogi.
http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/graph ... /hiogi.jpg
I have a bag of basswood slats sitting in a closet where I heaved them in disgust after a major drilling error caused by clamp slippage on my workbench. I should probably try again one of these days....

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:33 pm

Haruo

kugepoet wrote:
Hiogi are actually made of hinoki (cypress), not bamboo.

Hiogi are used for the most formal occasions. Hiogi decorated with painted scenes were used exclusively by women. Men sometimes used undecorated ones.

Both sexes used paper sensu, but they are more informal.

If I remember correctly, Sei Shonagon mentions choosing paper and deciding on how to have a fan painted in her diary, The Pillow Book.

When do you use a sensu? When I went to Japan, I bought a beautiful black one (the one in my avatar) but I dont know when to use it...It cost 70 bucks, so I dont really want to take it out and break it, but I'd like to know when would be appropriate to use it.

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:34 pm

bebemochi

A fan's use depends on what type of fan it is. Haruo, yours looks like it may be a dance fan (somebody correct me if I'm wrong), which means that you could use it during dances or display it. It's probably not the right kind of fan for cooling yourself off.

As for everyday use, many people carried smaller, more informal fans to cool themselves off in the summer. I used to see people using them on the trains or while walking around. Of course, during matsuri, there were tons of people using both folding fans and uchiwa to keep cool. Where I used to live, it was pretty damn hot, haha.

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:34 pm

Haruo

bebemochi wrote:
A fan's use depends on what type of fan it is. Haruo, yours looks like it may be a dance fan (somebody correct me if I'm wrong), which means that you could use it during dances or display it. It's probably not the right kind of fan for cooling yourself off.

As for everyday use, many people carried smaller, more informal fans to cool themselves off in the summer. I used to see people using them on the trains or while walking around. Of course, during matsuri, there were tons of people using both folding fans and uchiwa to keep cool. Where I used to live, it was pretty damn hot, haha.

In hindsight, I should have asked the lady I bought it from. It was the first time I got to say "Ookini"! But yeah, idk if it is a dance fan. I've never seen one up close, but they seem to be able to snap open, right? Even the Chinese dance fans I've seen are able to do that. It may be becuase it's new, but my fan is very stiff, and hard to open.

Also, it is worth saying that at a matsuri, you usually want to carry an uchiwa fan, that is, a round fan. At least according to the (bon) dance schools established here in Hawaii, we only use uchiwa to dance with.

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:35 pm

kugepoet

Haruo wrote:
In hindsight, I should have asked the lady I bought it from. It was the first time I got to say "Ookini"! But yeah, idk if it is a dance fan. I've never seen one up close, but they seem to be able to snap open, right? Even the Chinese dance fans I've seen are able to do that. It may be becuase it's new, but my fan is very stiff, and hard to open.

I discovered the trick to this. If you hold up your fan and look at it edge on, you'll see that the outermost bones curve to hold the fan closed when it is completely folded. Yours is probably still fairly tight. Gently fold and unfold the fan a few times to work the pivot joint. Fold closed, then open open one end by a single fold. Hold the fan by the bone on that end and snap your wrist downward sharply.
I think the third or is it the fourth video on this site shows the motion quite well: http://www.nyumon.net/ultimate/317/index.html