Taisho Women, social history of and vintage scans

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Taisho Women, social history of and vintage scans

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:19 pm

isshi

Ok I'm coming out of lurkdom to post this extract from my dissertation which I just finished, at the request of bebemochi lol. My title was 'representations of taisho women in Tanizaki's literature', so it's not all relevent which is why I'm posting an edited version. The full version is here:

http://vulgar-shudder.livejournal.com/150058.html

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Re: Taisho Women, social history of and vintage scans

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:20 pm

isshi

Strangley enough I have an interest in Nazi history as well (guess it's cos of my dad and brother)...and...my name is Hanna, nice one dad! (we lived in Germany for quite a while and he liked the germanic spelling).

You'd probably be interested in some movies made in the Taisho period. Off the top of my head I can remember Tales of Gion and Osaka Eulogy, by Ozu. Tales of Gion may be interesting, it compares the lives of these two 'sisters', one a geisha and one a modern girl, saying essentially they're doing the same thing. But I don't belive the critics when they say Ozu was a feminist haha. :P

After militarism took ahold they started tightening film censorship laws. Women weren't allowed to be depicted smoking, or being sad over losing people in the war. Usually it was the mother or wife overjoyed and happy that their sons/husbands were going off to fight for the emporer.

OR there were women in the spy films. They used conventions of hollywood decadence and glamour to show the american spys (played by Japanese actors) to represent americans.

Sorry I don't know much about showa women only what I've seen in films :|