Heian Life

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Heian Life

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:03 pm

Ami

I'm really drawn to the heian period lately, actually I always have been but just recenlty i've been getting into it again.

i love the movie omyoji(1&2) (i love seimei's smirk :P)

and I think the pillow book by sei shonagon is brilliant, i love how she just lists random things. I feel taken back in time when I read her lists and stories. (I haven't been able to read murasaki's, tale of the genji yet, but I'm looking forward to)

I'm also watching the jdrama Yoshitsune, I love the clothes, the time, and the feeling of the period. (I have my other favorite japanese periods too, but I'm posting about heian today *hehe*)

My thing is I've been having a hard time finding information on womens lives in that period aside from Sei Shonagons book. Maybe I;m just looking in the wrong place.

any help would be awesome...also, what are your thoughts on the heian period. why or why do you not like it?

for me it, as strange as it sounds, it beings me a nostalgic feeling. I feel kind of peaceful when I think about that time, read a book, or watch a movie based on that time in japanese history.

anyway :D Yeah!

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Re: Heian Life

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:04 pm

kugepoet

Quote:
i love the movie omyoji(1&2) (i love seimei's smirk :P)

You mean the smug little "Yes, I AM that good!" smile. I had the opportunity to see Mansai Nomura in "A Kyogen of Errors" in San Francisco last summer, playing physical comedy. Bloody brilliant.

Quote:
My thing is I've been having a hard time finding information on womens lives in that period aside from Sei Shonagons book. Maybe I;m just looking in the wrong place.

There are a number of extant diaries by women, as well as poetic tales from the period.
Please see our discussion on medieval Japanese literature here:
http://www.immortalgeisha.com/ig_bb/vie ... php?t=2820
An absolute MUST is Ivan Morris' The World of the Shining Prince. It discusses daily life and customs of the Heian court.

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:05 pm

ensquared

it's true that heian wafuku was heavily inspired by the Chinese...
if you look at the early clothes of the people of the Han dynasty 206BC to 9AD, especially women's, they are very similar to the juunihitoe. hairstyle wise, both heian and han women left their hair loose or tied in a low ponytail.
if i'm not wrong han clothing is called hanfu, its kinda more sexy than juunihitoe, not that much emphasis on layers. of course hairstyles got more elaborate along the way...

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:06 pm

kugepoet

Japanese clothing from the Nara period (preceding the Heian) is very Chinese looking.

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:08 pm

Musashi

And this is what happens when people from Heian Kyoto are sent to the ass end of nowhere, aka Izu (well, it's not really Heian Kyoto, but more the Kyoto a couple of years before the Gempei War, but still):

Not even Hojo retainers show respect to you once you're there: