Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:42 am

NAME: bebemochi

はじめてでもできるきものの着つけと帯結び
It's Your First Time, But You Can Do It! Wearing Kimono and Tying Obi
by Sasajima Sumi
ISBN 4816338276 :jp
Amazon.co.jp Link

My Review
This book is, bar none, the best kimono book I own. It is accessible, thorough, and encouraging. I can't recommend a better book for any beginning kitsuke enthusiast, even if they are completely Japanese illiterate. The book isn't just for beginners, though. It has plenty for the advanced kimono wearer, as well -- small details and pro tips that are easy to miss in other books, the internet, or even lessons, are rendered clearly in this book. Throughout the book are detailed photos and illustrations that carefully explain steps and concepts.

This book very much focuses on everyday kimono wear for women. It includes kitsuke for yukata and komon kimono, everyday deportment, and coordination, among other things. This could be considered a drawback by some, as there is no information about formal kimono, children's kitsuke, and very little information about men's kitsuke. However, the principles laid out by this book form an excellent support structure for wearing formal kimono.

This book can also be useful for kimono enthusiasts who are learning Japanese, as the language seems to be both direct and modern. All three alphabets are used frequently throughout the book. For those who are trying to pin down kimono vocabulary, there is frequently furigana over the kanji.

Another small drawback is that, at page 97 of a 159 page book, the pages go from full color to grayscale and red. This having been said, the combination of the two remain quite clear, providing plenty of contrast. In comparison to other kimono books that go to complete grayscale, it's not really a drawback.

Overall, the book maintains a cheerful, easy to understand, encouraging tone, which is nice for kitsuke learners of all levels.

Recommended for:
Female kimono wearers, whether advanced or beginning

Not recommended for:
Male kimono wearers, unless they are only interested in yukata
People interested in children's kitsuke
People looking for formal kimono and obi techniques
Those who are particularly sensitive to nude imagery. There are several illustrations (no photos) that show topless women, mostly to demonstrate collar placement and the like. Trust me, it's very tasteful and not at all sexual, but if you don't want to see it at all, then this isn't the book for you. (I'll provide an example below in a clickable link rather than an embedded picture.)

Book Breakdown
--Komon coordination
--Types of casual kimono
--Putting on a yukata, for both men and women (this section is really cute because the tutorial uses a couple who help each other get dressed! Includes a couple of easy musubi for both.)
--Kimono fit
--Types of komono, footwear, han eri, obijime, obidome, obiage, bags, juban, and coats. (These sections are each very detailed, with lots of options for each garment / accessory shown.)
--Common hairstyles to wear with kimono
--Kimono coordination
--Preparing to wear kimono (Includes a nice DIY with several underwear tops and sarashi.)
--How to wear kimono
--How to tie otaiko, niijuudaiko, and tsunodashi
--Kimono deportment (Includes wearing kimono in the rain, dealing with various mods of transportation, eating, working, among other things. Essentially daily living in kimono.)
--Caring for kimono and accessories

Scans
This is one of the coordination pages.

This page shows some komono. Note the furigana over many of the kanji in the words.

Although this section is informative, you can tell why I don't especially like it. It's just plain ugly. One of the few drawbacks to the book.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g116/ ... ekiru5.jpg
This shows one of the grayscale and red tutorial pages. You can see that it's still easy to understand despite the lack of full color.

This link leads to a page of the book that uses a nude illustration to demonstrate collar placement. Again, it is not sexual in tone, but please do not click if you are easily offended by such depictions. And certainly don't fuss at me if you click and are offended later, because I warned you what was under here. :P

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Re: [JP] Hajimete Demo Dekiru-- Complete kimono and kitsuke guide

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:42 am

NAME: shira

Thanks for the review! :) This definitely sounds like a book I'd adore. I'll have to have a look around various bookstores to see if they have this book in stock!

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:43 am

I won this book in a YJA Auction and am now happily waiting for it! :) Once again, thanks for the review!

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

NAME: Kotone

I was looking at this book last time I was at Mitsuwa in Jersey! Unfortunately I had a very antsy boyfriend with me so I didn't get to look through it and decide for myself if it would be worth it for me or not! Thank you so much for reviewing it!!! I think I'll be investing next time I see it (either at Mitsuwa or Kinokuniya)!

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

NAME: bebemochi

Y'all will have to let me know what y'all think. :)

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:44 am

NAME: Kotone

bebemochi wrote:Y'all will have to let me know what y'all think. :)

Once I find it, that will be a "will do!" - should be about 2 weeks until I'm in NYC and can wander Kinokuniya... and possibly Mitsuwa - which is where I think I picked this book up!
Maybe Thursday evening I'll scan some of a book I found at Kinokuniya and do a review of it... let's just say the book has lived in my handbag for 3+ months... :P

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:44 am

I received my copy today! It really is the best kitsuke book I've ever read. There are some tips in here that I've never heard of before. Thanks for recommending it! :lovelove