[J] You Can Tie it Yourself - 12 bows for Everyday Kimono - one link needs updating when relevant thread is up

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

[J] You Can Tie it Yourself - 12 bows for Everyday Kimono - one link needs updating when relevant thread is up

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:36 am

NAME: Iyolin

市田ひろみのひとりで結べるふだん着物の帯結び12種
Ichida Hiromi ni hitori de musuberu fudan kimono no obi musubi 12 - Ichida Hiromi's "You Can Tie It Yourself - 12 bows for the Everyday (Casual) Kimono"

ISBN 4863220030 :jp
Amazon.co.jp Link

My Review
Admittedly, I purchased this book while at Mitsuwa Market and not because I'd heard of it, and I was hoping they'd have more to choose from. I wasn't going to leave without a kimono book, so I sort of picked out of what they had there. The reason I chose this one was that it's for everyday kimono, which is handy, and most of the musubi look like they could be tied on oneself (with a little bit of modification). It covered basics, like otaiko and bunko, but is predominantly Nagoya obi and hanhaba musubi, with a few heko obi musubi. I especially liked how the same kimono was used several times, with the obi and accessories being changed to give a different feel and to show off a different bow. I also thought the purses were the most adorable things! Additionally, the intro says something about NHK, so I guess the author has helped out on kimono shows or something for them. Maybe if I feel ambitious I'll translate it one day.

The cover of the book isn't the most eye-catching (or maybe it is, being orange) or appealing, but if you can get past that, you'll probably enjoy it if looking for everyday obi. (The scan LIES; the cover is ORANGE, not peach!)

The book starts with an intro, and the table of contents, and then it goes into each kimono + obi set, with large, lovely photographs on glossy paper, of the front and back of each outfit. I thought it was interesting to see the heko obi musubi, as they're not tied on really young girls (I'd say mid-late twenties, early thirties), and they're with komon kimono (which we knew was ok). It just seemed to show that it was more acceptable to do, so I would feel comfortable wearing it with confidence (if I had one).

The photos are my most favorite about this book. Most of the instructions are in photographs instead of drawings, and they're rather large, often having only 2-4 per page, as you can see from some of the photos in the album.

The other thing I really liked was that most of the bows are for Nagoya obi, and I know there seems to be a lack of musubi for that, so I was pleased to see that as well, and hope others find it useful. There are 6 for Nagoya, 4 for Hanhaba, and 2 for Heko.

A third thing I thought was nice was that at the end of each tying directions, there's a page with only two pictures, usually full body, to do the "check point" and make sure everything came out ok.

One thing to be aware of is the directions for one of the obi are close, but not quite (they're drawn, directions for the yakko obi, hanhaba, looks almost like kai-no-kuchi). if followed exactly, you'd get kai-no-kuchi, and not the yakko version. I think it'd be easy enough to fix, but I don't know why they didn't catch the mistake in editing.

The obi musubi in the book are not that difficult; I think with a little practice a beginner could do them, and actually remember the different versions of hanhaba musubi quite easily.

The book, with it's many large pictures, is easy to understand and as encouraging as a book that many can't read might be. You certainly don't need to know Japanese to make use of this book.

Overall, it's not a bad addition to the collection. it was around $20, and I know I'll get use out of it, so that's worth it for me. Some of the bows may be in books with more musubi, so that's something to consider, but usually those books don't have instructions as clear as this one does.

Recommended for:
Female kimono wearers
Those who want to wear or learn more casual musubi
Those looking for more Nagoya musubi, hanhaba musubi, or heko musubi
Those advanced wearers who want a few more easy musubi to add to their repertoire (or memorize)
Those who learn best from bigger pictures/visual learners

Not recommended for:
Males (no male kitsuke what so ever)
People interested in children's kitsuke
People looking for formal kimono and obi techniques
Advanced kimono wearers who want a challenge

Book Breakdown
- pictures of each outfit, and saying the kimono and obi type, with obi name
- small pictures and notes about the accessories & underclothing required
- how to dress in kimono by yourself, starting with tabi
- obi musubi, in order of appearance:
一重太鼓  Ichijuu Daiko (basic otaiko) [nagoya]
文庫結び Bunko Musubi [nagoya]
角出し Tsunodashi [nagoya]
リボン結び Ribbon [nagoya]
方流し Katanagashi (slanting roof/one-sided shed) [hanhaba]
桃山 Momoyama (peach tree mountain) [hanhaba]
かおり Kaori [hanhaba]
玉虫 Gyokumushi (jewel beetle) [nagoya]
やっこ結び Yakko [hanhaba]
矢車草 Yagurumasou (Roger's bronze leaf) [heko]
代わり角出し Kawari Tsunodashi [nagoya]
桔梗結び Kikyou [heko]
- page of purses/handbags
- parts of kimono, padding, etiquette, sewing casing for eri shin, chikara nuno, datejime type thing, checkpoints, folding and storage

Scans
Will come later, but for now, look at this album of photos!

To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. - Joseph Chilton Pearce

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Re: [J] You Can Tie it Yourself - 12 bows for Everyday Kimono

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:36 am

NAME: Fuyou

Snazzy. I like the new hanhaba bows. I'll have to try them out.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:37 am

NAME: kingyoko

Soooo cool! Thanks for this, I love learning new and different kinds of musubi... wil definitely keep a look out for this.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

NAME: bebemochi

You were totally right, this isn't the same Ichida Hiromi book I have. Now I want this one, too! I have two of her NHK books already. She seems to be just such a friendly lady, and her books are always so informative. Added to my wishlist, haha.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

NAME: moefen

Thank you for your very informative review! I will certainly watch out for this one, it sounds like a very useful addition - so many of the musubi books focus solely on fancy furisode musubi that only a pair of octopus would be able to tie.

I second Bebemochi's praise of Ichida Hiromi. I have watched a couple of her videos (that I found at the public library), and found them very useful, even for a non-Japanese speaking person. She is very passionate, quite entertaining to watch and the videos are very thorough. She had a couple of REALLY useful tricks, that I shared in this post

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:38 am

NAME: shigatsuhana

I have a generic Ichida Hiromi book that shows just one musubi for each type of kimono. This book looks fab! I'd love to learn more than just otaiko musubi.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:38 am

NAME: shira

I have this book! I saw it in a bookstore one day and after flipping through it, I just absolutely had to buy it! I absolutely adore it and all the musubi it has in it, especially the one that looks like a chocho musubi, but done with a nagoya obi instead :D Thanks for reviewing! It's great to share this with everyone on the forums!