Haru no Oshare [J] [Image Heavy] - LINKS IN COMMENTS NEED UPDATING ONCE RELEVANT POSTS ARE UP

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Haru no Oshare [J] [Image Heavy] - LINKS IN COMMENTS NEED UPDATING ONCE RELEVANT POSTS ARE UP

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:59 am

NAME: Fuyou

Title- Haru no Oshare- Ikeda Shigeko Nagare Kimono Coodeineeto
春のおしゃれ 池田重子流きものコーディネ-ト
'Stylish Dressing of Spring- The Kimono Ensemble Coordination of Shigeko Ikeda'
ISBN978-4-408-45187-9 :jp
Amazon.co.jp site for the book

This is a large picture book depicting the collection and coordination of Shigeko Ikeda, famous in Japan for her large kimono collection and style. She is at the heart of all things fashionably kimono and has been putting out books and exhibitions for over a decade. A good English website about her can be found here. This book depicts what she feels is best for this Spring (and works in conjuction with her other 'Oshare' books on Autumn, Winter, and Summer), and it has been incredibly inspiring to me, so I thought I would share. The book is divided into different motifs such as sakura, fuji, birds, etc and I've posted my favorite pictures from most of them. The book itself is over a hundred pages, so there's much more here for those interested in buying it.

I really enjoy flipping through this book. It's not heavy on the Japanese, and I can easily understand what the key points of each ensemble and the general feeling for this Spring are. Still, it was an expensive book (3990 yen for a picture book), and it's only pictures. It doesn't explain any tips for wearing kimono this season. If it does, then my Japanese isn't good enough to pick it out of the small amount of text that is in the book. Still, that didn't deter me from buying it, and I still love the book.

Recommended for-
For those interested in Kimono fashion
For those interested in Art

Not recommended for-
For those looking for a kitsuke guide
For those looking for an English kimono book

Cover-

Motif- Multiple flowers

Motif- Doves/Pidgeons

Motif- Roses

Motif- Sakura

Motif- Fuji

Motif- Peacock

Miscellaneous-

Last edited by Fuyou on Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Re: Haru no Oshare [J] [Image Heavy]

NAME: shira

Wow, thanks for the review! I think I'll go place an order for this one and for the winter one too!! :D :D :D

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

NAME: Ems

:cry: So many beautiful kimono pictures... so little money left...

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

NAME: rubyminky

The pigeons! The peonies! The CARP! Oh, I really love the look of this book, and thankyou for putting those scans up!

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:00 am

NAME: Ems

Question: You mentioned that there's one book for every season, but so far I've only been able to find the one for winter. Has anyone had any luck finding links to the books for summer and fall? :? Just the ISBN's would be nice, so I can look them up later.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

NAME: Tahanala

Thank you very much for these scans. It is very interesting to see what modern, fashionable kimono are like these days, rather than those from eBay... and from the 70's.

I have to say nearly all of them are way too colourful for my taste, the exceptions being the bobbins outfit and both the fuji ones.

Am I wrong, or is it a kofurisode haori with the roses on it? Someone had recently wondered about haori for furisode, and I've been curious since then.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

NAME: preciosa49

OMG!! I want the koi kimono! How Beautiful. Thank you for sharing. =)

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

NAME: Red Robin

I really like the two fuji kimono - especially the second one. I also really like that close-up shot of the feathered collar. That's a beautiful effect.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:01 am

NAME: hibana

Tahanala wrote:Am I wrong, or is it a kofurisode haori with the roses on it? Someone had recently wondered about haori for furisode, and I've been curious since then.
Yes, it seems to be- and it looks vintage. :lovelove

I want to play dress-up at this woman's house, or wherever all of that lovely wafuku resides. :wink:

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:03 am

NAME: U no Hana

Ems wrote:Question: You mentioned that there's one book for every season, but so far I've only been able to find the one for winter. Has anyone had any luck finding links to the books for summer and fall? :? Just the ISBN's would be nice, so I can look them up later.

Ems, the book for summer was released few weeks ago. Look for summer here.
There isn't still a book for autum, but she has books about kanzashi, obidome and obi kazari.

I don't owe them, only the winter one, but I was given five catalogues of her kimono exhibitions, and I strongly recommend her books. Her collection is amazing. She has haori for furisode and a wide variety of kimono coats! :lovelove
Sometimes the outfits she puts together remind me Bebemochi's...

Fuyou, I wanted to review her winter book, but from march I'm too busy, and never have enough time to do it. I'm ashamed :oops:

If you want to know more about Ikeda Shigeko, her webpage: http://www.ikedashigeko-collection.co.jp/

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:04 am

NAME: bebemochi

U no Hana wrote:Sometimes the outfits she puts together remind me Bebemochi's...

Thank you for the compliment! :oops: I wish I had access to such gorgeous items as she does!

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:04 am

bebemochi wrote:Thank you for the compliment! :oops: I wish I had access to such gorgeous items as she does!

Yes, she has such an amazing collection... she owes more than 8000 kimono & kimono related items. But, anyway, you have the "breeze"... I specially remember the outfit you did for a kimono fashion show. :lovelove

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:05 am

:oops: :oops: :oops:
Which one was it that you liked?

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:05 am

This one: International Parade
The kimono is really awesome. :lovelove
But the cream & multicolour streaks kimono with spider obi and the gray houmogi outfit have this touch, as well: Kimono Dust-up

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:06 am

Eeeeee, thank you so much! I love that black-based houmongi as well. I got it from Tokyo Trend awhile ago. I love the kiri all over it -- kiri was the symbol of the city I lived in in Japan, Kiryu, so I feel a particular affinity for it. And that cream kimono with spiderweb / skull obi is one of my absolute favorite outfits. :D

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:06 am

I just noticed the second picture features a furisode with otaiko musubi!

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Re: Haru no Oshare [J] [Image Heavy] - LINKS IN COMMENTS NEED UPDATING ONCE RELEVANT POSTS ARE UP

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:07 am

Tahanala wrote:I just noticed the second picture features a furisode with otaiko musubi!
I've seen this many times at her exhibition catalogues... I wonder why :?
bebemochi wrote:And that cream kimono with spiderweb / skull obi is one of my absolute favorite outfits. :D
I love it, too. It's a classical-radical!

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Re: Haru no Oshare [J] [Image Heavy] - LINKS IN COMMENTS NEED UPDATING ONCE RELEVANT POSTS ARE UP

NAME: RedDelilah

U No Hana: Just a guess but maybe she does the Otaiko musubi because of time constraints for the photo shoots? I'm not sure at all but if they were taking on a photographer and had to do so many outfits in a limited amount of time it might have been quicker? I adore this woman's work and it really seems like she knows what she's doing but that was just my guess.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

I would guess she has or could hire enough staff to assemble all the outfits within the imparted time. If not, fancy knots can be constructed in advance using a biyosugata.
At any rate, I'd guess it is deliberate, mostly because I cannot imagine someone not doing thing perfectly for his/her bedrock material, on which her reputation relies. If accidental, using otaiko for furisode would be the mistake not to make! Maybe she feels she needs some simpleness to balance her busy designs, or plans said designs to be displayed flat, i.e. on a taiko-musubi?

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:08 am

I've also seen in old movies and vintage photographs that it used to be more common in the past for a girl to wear an otaiko musubi with longer sleeves. So, she might have been going for a vintage look by doing so. I actually really like the look of it :).

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

NAME: onnagata

I love those kimono! :lovelove
They look so Taishou Roman.
Thank you for loading them up!

Are those kimono really contemporary ones? Or are they rather special made? :?
I've never seen such beautiful Taishou-Roman-esque kimono anywhere for sale on the net.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Most of them are antique kimono. Shigeko Ikeda has been collecting for well over a decade, and she's has access to far more kimono venues than ebay or YJA. Also, the kimono that make it onto internet aren't always the creme de la creme, to be honest.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

NAME: RedDelilah

That would make more sense I suppose; the style issue thing. Maybe she thought that the big, full obi's would detract from the kimono it's self? I don't know? For some reason I've been really pondering why she would do this. It's not bugging me per-say but it is really making me consider options when wearing kimono.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:09 am

NAME: shira

I placed an order for the summer one at Kinokuniya and I've just received it!! It's sooo pretty!!! :lovelove :lovelove I don't regret it at all! (Except for the fact that I am now drooling over every ro furisode I see :P) Next month, I'm placing orders for the Spring and Winter one, and in October, I'm getting the Autumn one :D (Every month till November, I get 28% discount off two books of my choice, so they end up being pretty cheap too!)

Thanks so much for introducing me to this series of kimono books! :D

ainokimono
Senpai Shrimp (Admin)
Senpai Shrimp (Admin)

Post by ainokimono » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:10 am

I just ordered the newest one to complete the set - I've also got an obidome book by the same person. I never get bored of looking at the gorgeous kimono - so much so that the books are always on my side table! They've never even touched the bookshelf *^_^*

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:10 am

NAME: desertlily

Oh god, I need to buy this set of books. ALL OF THEM. I almost wish I hadn't bought a truckload of kitsuke items. I can't wait to see what the fall and winter books will have. Maybe I'll add these onto my Christmas list, see if anyone in my family dares to brave Amazon Japan. :lol:

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:10 am

NAME: American Taikomochi

ooo I would love to buy this book but I can I buy it on the American Amazon? I am horrible at reading japanese and would think I would get confused. Does anyone know? =D

ainokimono
Senpai Shrimp (Admin)
Senpai Shrimp (Admin)

Post by ainokimono » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:11 am

Amazon japan has English service. Look around the item page for the "see this page in English" link. The checkout is entirely in English too and they will show you your totals in US dollars. If you follow the link in the first post, you can just copy and paste the author's name into the Amazon website's search bar and it will show you all of her books. They're ALL gorgeous! *^_^*

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:11 am

NAME: American Taikomochi

seoulstar74 wrote:Amazon japan has English service. Look around the item page for the "see this page in English" link. The checkout is entirely in English too and they will show you your totals in US dollars. If you follow the link in the first post, you can just copy and paste the author's name into the Amazon website's search bar and it will show you all of her books. They're ALL gorgeous! *^_^*
Thank you I just looked again and can I say how stupid I was? :oops: lol Thanks for helping me!

ainokimono
Senpai Shrimp (Admin)
Senpai Shrimp (Admin)

Post by ainokimono » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:11 am

No worries - it's not like they have a flashing "SEE THIS PAGE IN ENGLISH!!" screaming across the page :) Sometimes it's not even there. Anyways, you won't regret ordering any of this series - my eyes get all misty-like when I think about them :smil3: Glad I could help!