• Introduction
    Equipment
    Setting up
    Working
    Patterns
    Finishing
    Creative effects
Review

This book is an excellent guide to the many different kinds of cord that can be made with a marudai. The introduction to the equipment and setting up is rather brief compared to Carey's Beginner's Guide to Braiding: The Craft of Kumihimo. This is more of an intermediate level book. Carey assumes you will be able to read the circle and arrow diagrams without explicit instructions on which hand does what.

A nice touch is the line shape drawn next to the heading for each cord that shows the cord cross-section (some examples are round, flat, square, oval, etc.). All the cording styles are displayed on pages 27-32, which is convenient for comparing the finished cords to each other.

Many if not all of the examples could be easily incorporated as obijime, haori ties, and other komono and Carey includes several finishing techniques to add interest beyond tassels.

Recommended for:

-Intermediate level kumihimo makers
-Someone who wants to make a cool obijime that matches perfectly
-Anyone who already owns a marudai

Not recommended for:

-Beginners
-Someone who wanted instructions on how to build or buy a marudai

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Re: Creative Kumihimo by Jacqui Carey

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:31 am

NAME: stepan_san

Tzippurah san, thank you for the review! :katana:
I don't have the Beginner's Guide to Braiding: The Craft of Kumihimo and cosider myself a beginner in kumihimo and IMO the instructions and diagrams are simple and clear. I was able to make all the 8 strand braids without too much trouble.
It is a very good book :]

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Re: Creative Kumihimo by Jacqui Carey

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:32 am

NAME: tzippurah

I'm glad it's been of help to you Stepan_san. I'll add a link to my scans as soon as I transfer them to a separate photobucket, since all the interest has overwhelmed my bandwidth. :)

Edit: They live here now.