Ginza Motoji no Otoko no Kimono -- Men's Kimono Guide

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:46 am

NAME: bebemochi

銀座もとじの男のきもの
Ginza Motoji No Otoko No Kimono
ISBN4-418-05129-5
:jp
Amazon.co.jp Link

Before I start, a quick question for anyone who knows: How would you translate the title? All I'm getting is something like, "Kimono for the Ginza Boss," or something, haha.

My Review
As many of us know, information about men's kimono is often relegated to the back of a women's kitsuke book, generally in the section with the black and white pictures. They only get one obi musubi, and generally don't show putting on the kimono without hakama. So what's a guy to do? Well, I'd recommend buying this book. (It's not even expensive!)

This book has plenty of perks, but let's start with the most obvious: Kitsuke tutorials as detailed and clear as the ones in the best women's books. Here you can find out some of the little nuances of dressing that are unclear in other books, making wearing kimono easier and more comfortable. There are thorough tutorials for wearing yukata, wearing kimono, wearing kimono with hakama, putting on a haori, tying your haori himo, etc. Like a lot of women's books, these tutorials including "check points" at the end, and ways to correct your kimono if it becomes rumpled.

The book also includes something that I'd been unclear about for a long time -- formality levels in men's clothing. A whole section of the book shows examples of men's outfits appropriate for different events, from weddings to tea ceremony to parties. It doesn't just tell you what's appropriate, it shows you, which is great.

The deportment section for this is excellent. It shows the one thing I've always wondered about -- how men can sit down in regular kimono. Men can sit more casually than women, so I always wondered how they did it if they weren't wearing hakama. (The answer, essentially, is to carry a big handkerchief.)

There are also sections on fabric weaves, and, my personal favorite part of the book, a section of month-by-month coordination ideas.

I think that, for any guy who's serious about kimono (or girl who's serious about her man looking good in kimono), this book is a must-buy. It's thorough, easy-to-understand, and stylish.

Oh, I almost forgot! For those who have access to region-free DVD players (or have Japanese players), this book comes with a DVD! I haven't checked it out, myself, but it can really only be bonus. The book itself is so good that if you don't like the DVD, you can use it as a coaster and still come out ahead.

Recommended for:
Men who want to wear kimono
Women who know men who want to wear kimono
Women who like to dress like men / souso :P

Not recommended for:
People who want to dress young boys (no children's kitsuke in the book)

Book Breakdown
This book is 98 pages. From page 83 to 98, it is in black and white. The rest is in color.

1) Introduction of the author
2) TPO (Time, place, occasion)
3) Month-by-month coordination ideas
4) Fabrics and weaves
5) Putting on a yukata (simple, bow musubi)
6) Putting on a kimono (includes item list and kai no kuchi musubi)
7) Putting on a haori and tying haori himo
8 ) Putting on hakama (includes how to hitch up the kimono properly)
9) Several more musubi for both heko and kaku obi
10) Deportment
11) Tidying yourself up if you get rumpled
12) Folding

Scans

A photo of the author

Example of an ensemble for a party
(Isn't this guy cute? He looks like he's wearing his daddy's clothes.)
Coordination for November
(I adore this ensemble. I want to buy a pumpkin orange kimono for Brian, now!)
Tutorial examples

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Re: Ginza Motoji no Otoko no Kimono -- Men's Kimono Guide

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:46 am

NAME: Kotone

*gasp* I looked at this over Thanksgiving break at , and pointed it out to Andrew! Now, thanks to your review, I think I'll definitely get it for his birthday (in July - so I have some time!).
Recommended for:
Men who want to wear kimono
Women who know men who want to wear kimono
The bottom line made me giggle. :D

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:47 am

NAME: souso

You forgot "Women who like to dress like men/souso"
:P

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:47 am

Fixed it. ;)

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:48 am

NAME: U no Hana

bebemochi wrote:Before I start, a quick question for anyone who knows: How would you translate the title? All I'm getting is something like, "Kimono for the Ginza Boss," or something, haha.

I'm not "anyone who knows", but I think your translation is ok because the man in the cover is really a boss from a big company.
I saw him in an article about men's kimono and it seems he is very interested in recovering it, because in the article he was having a meeting with a kimono shop owner. They two spoke about how to encourage men to wear kimono again, not only for formal occasions but also for everyday business meetings. I can't find the article now, but I saved a pic of them, because it was the only one I found with men-in-no-formal-kimono :P

Thanks for the review, it's very very interesting!! (Although I have to add another recommendded for: "women who want to know everything about kitsuke" :P )
My wish list grows and grows and grows... :ohno:

I've found the article! But I was absolutely wrong :oops: He is not a big company boss, but a kimono shop owner, an he has written a book called " Gentlemen, let's start Kimono Life" . It seems I have mixed it up with a newspaper clipping a japanese friend send to me, with many japanese bussinesmen wearing kimono in a meeting. I'm so sorry :oops: :oops:

http://int.kateigaho.com/jun04/kimono-for-men.html

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

NAME: Iyolin

I thought he was the guy from the Kateigaho article! I'm glad someone found it ti link. He seems really cool.

I get the same type of translation, but also that it could be "promoter". I wouldn't worry about it too much; he's probably rather known in men's kimono circles, I would guess, if we know him!

元締め; 元締 【もとじめ】 (n) manager; boss; controller; promoter
(Jim Breen's)

I'll have to look for it, too, just to round out the collection, even though my bf doesn't have any casual kimono other than yukata.

To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. - Joseph Chilton Pearce

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Hey ladies, thanks for that! The link to the article is especially nice, because now I know how to pronounce the author's name!
At least, I think I do. I mean, it says his name is "Komei Motoji" in the article, but...is that his family name and title? If it's his family name, why is it spelled in hirigana in the title? Could Motoji be his given name? I have seen some Japanese given names spelled in hirigana instead of kanji. So confusing!

But hey, one thing I'd like to point out is that he seems like a really affable guy. In every picture of him in the book and on that article, he's grinning like a Cheshire Cat. I'd love to meet him one day -- he seems like he'd be a lot of fun to hang out with! :)

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:49 am

NAME: shira

Thanks for reviewing this! I think I saw this book at Kinokuniya once, but that was over a year ago, when I wasn't really into men's kitsuke (except for yukata) yet. Now I regret not buying it!! I'll most certainly keep an eye out for it next time :wink:

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:50 am

NAME: yohmama-san

Thank you bebemochi for posting this excellent review! And extra thanks for the amazon link! I bought it for myself for my birthday (which was last Saturday) and I really love it! :lovelove :lovelove :lovelove

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

NAME: Kotone

Woo! My friend is going back to Japan for the rest of our college's winter break (on the 6th), she's going to pick it up for me - at a much reduced price from Kinokuniya or from Amazon.jp. Plus apparently her mom gets deals on stuff like (and designer yukata and kimono!! :drool: ) this from being a Kitsuke sensei... Oh yes... it's awesome!

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Kotone, you should ask her to buy you an array of books / magazines, if she's willing. One thing I really miss about living in Japan is being able to buy new kimono magazines! All mine are so old and outdated now, haha.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

NAME: James

I came across a link to this discussion via a Google search on Ginza Motoji because by chance I was just flicking through this book tonight for some inspiration for fabrics.....

In response the question above, Ginza Motoji is the name of a men's kimono shop in Ginza. They have several kimono guides for men; this is one of them. Another good one is called "Otoko no kimono kikonashi nyumon," or something like "Beginner's introduction to men's kimono."

This is an excellent book. The month-by-month outfit pages are great -- there's a lot of fluff in each one along the lines of "this is the month when the weather begins to improve and there are many parties" etc, etc, but it does explain what type of kimono is appropriate for each month (colours, patterns, fabrics, lined or unlined) and why, which is really helpful.

The obi musubi instructions (which are in black and white, along with the other kitsuke and folding stuff) are quite easy to follow even without reading the instructions.

The DVD is mostly useless unless you're an absolute beginner. It demonstrates how to put on a juban, tie the koshihimo, put on a kimono and hakama, and also how to wear a yukata. But it contains a lot of instructions that are silly. I simply don't see the point of most of the steps they want you to follow in putting on your kimono: (1) Hold the kimono at about chest height, facing away from you, by the shoulders. (2) Swing the kimono back behind you. (3) Place one shoulder, then the other shoulder of the kimono on your own shoulders. (4) Place one arm, then the other, into the sleeves, holding the opposite collar edge while doing so. This is all before the entirely useful and necessary steps of (5) tucking in the juban sleeves, (6) holding the outer sleeve edges and stretching your arms out to centre the kimono horizontally and (7) holding the collar edges straight out to centre the kimono vertically.

However, the hakama kitsuke demonstration is brilliant. I've been wearing hakama for about 5 years and no matter how many times it's been demonstrated for me in person I never quite got how to make it look really good before watching this DVD.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:51 am

NAME: U no Hana

fuuga wrote:I simply don't see the point of most of the steps they want you to follow in putting on your kimono.

It seems it's the technique used by some kitsuke schools, I've seen this steps for women's kimono in a kitsuke book and in Nana·oh magazine (I can't remember the issue, just now). They focuse in this steps as they consider kitsuke an art, something like tea ceremony, and if you want to master it you have to learn and do properly every step.
Not all schools have te same point of view, however. If I'm not wrong, in the same issue of Nana·oh there was another kitsuke school where the most importatn thing was knowing how to tie your himo and datejime properly for fitting your anatomy and having a healthy kitsuke, specially for the lumbar region... 8-O

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:52 am

fuuga wrote:In response the question above, Ginza Motoji is the name of a men's kimono shop in Ginza.

Ahhhhh, thank you so much! I really appreciate it. :D

About the steps, I agree with U no Hana -- it's probably a kitsuke school thing. When I first learned formal kitsuke, there were a lot of weird steps, too. Some of them turned out to be useful, others I ditched as I started wearing kimono more frequently. It can be good to see them so you can decide for yourself, I guess!

(I really ought to watch the DVD. As soon as I can figure out how, haha.)

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

NAME: James

I really ought to watch the DVD. As soon as I can figure out how, haha.

Have you tried it in your DVD player? Since it's not a big movie company or similar, there may be no region encoding on the disc and it could just work--I've watched several DVDs that were included in Japanese magazines on my crappy DVD player with no problems. Otherwise, if you have a laptop, try it in there. Most laptop DVD drives are region-free, and automatically set to a particular region once you've played a given number of discs from one region.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

NAME: Kimonocrazy

Hello I'm new to the forum and I really wish I could read Japanese because me being a man would love to know more information. I also think that the guy on the cover has a really cool style. Right now all I have is the Kimono and I want to get a Haori off of Ichiyora.com but the only problem is that most don't come with a haori himo. I might try and make one but only one person has given me some info on my thread I posted.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:53 am

NAME: azusa

Yeah, I read that thread - the advice she gave you was good, and should be plenty to get you started. :)

I just got all excited because I found an article in Japanese about him, only to skim over the article again...and realize it was in Chinese. :roll: Whoops.

Here is his kimono store online, for the curious:
http://www.motoji.co.jp/
And his name (Gotten by typing "izumi futatsu hiroshi akarui" ; P)
泉二弘明

More on topic, for someone that has the book - in the fourth picture down in the series, what is the guy in the light brown kimono doing?

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:53 am

NAME: Strawberry Kimono

Azusa, he is making sure kimono sits properly by 'letting it out' a little. I know it looks funky lol, I do something similar when I wear tight pans or tights :) :) :)

Lyuba's Guide to Starting a Kimono de Jack