shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

:jp Momi I Love Antique Kimono

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:10 am

NAME: rubyminky

Momi I Love Antique Kimono
ISBN: 978-4-904342-00-8

I haven't found it on Amazon, unfortunately - if anyone does, please let me know as I'd love to buy any more in the series! I bought this one from eBay.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greygoat/5568894495/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/greygoat/5569481560/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/greygoat/5569481336/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/greygoat/5568893801/

Inside you will find:
It's a small book, just a bit bigger than a standard paperback. It's all in Japanese, so please forgive me for not being more helpful about the content!

A section on glossy photoshoots
This is the best bit of this book and also what induced me to buy it. Some really beautiful shots, styled in subtle colours and retro designs. Accessorised well but not too OTT. All the pictures have a soft, vintagey feel with lots of 'moused' colours and retro hair.

They're cute and stylish but not too 'young' feeling - I'd say it's aimed at girls in their 20s, though in my opion everyone could get away with these outfits. It's my favourite book in terms of styling - just what I dream of looking like in kimono! :)

There also seem to be sections on geta, juban, Nagoya obi, seasonality of patterns, painting kimono? Small, instructive pages.

Finally, there's the obligatory kitsuke section with some cute drawings - the section on padding might be interesting as it seems there's a pad for just about every area of the body!

Recommended for someone who wants:
- some beautiful styling ideas
- eye candy

Not Recommended for someone who wants:
- furisode or yukata
- mens kitsuke
- modern designs
- a big book - this is small and perfectly formed :)

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Re: :jp Momi I Love Antique Kimono

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:11 am

NAME: BikaBika

I........have been waiting forever for these pics rubyminky!!!!!! Ever since the day you bought it I have been waiting....and now there are only 3 photoshoot images put up? Gfubknlef I DEMAND MORE SCANS! :katana: :wink:

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:11 am

I'm never sure how many scans I can post from a book without some sort of copyright issue! There are only about 12 photoshoot images in it :)

I can definitely do some more scans if it's all legal :D

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:12 am

NAME: U no Hana

Thank you so much for the review!
I've feeling tempted to buy it since I saw it at Amazon.jp, but the very young lady in the cover discouraged me a little.
I have enough books with very youthful outfits that aren't suitable for me (for my age), so I'm very glad to know the styling would interest me, not only for my daughter ensembles buy for myself. :smil3:

EDIT: The outfit in the first scan is amazing! I would wear it withouth hesitation... But the padding instructions are a little dissuasive 8-O 8-O

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:12 am

I know what you mean about the rather strange padding suggestions - some of them are like armour - a wearer could survive a good-sized punch to the chest in some of that!!

It's funny because the photos don't look totally stiff and tubular to me, not sure if they're wearing all that underneath or not. I'll try and scan some more of the photoshoots in tonight to share (on BikaBika's orders!)

Last edited by rubyminky on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:22 am

NAME: Kokoro

Thanks for the review, this book looks quite interesting. Maybe you could scan the "punch-ball padding page" a little larger and let someone translate it here in the forum. I really want to know what it ia about :lol:

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:22 am

NAME: Chiisana Hato

Thanks for posting! I want to look just like that in kimono too. I love the styling! :lovelove

(And as a graphic designer, thanks for thinking about the copyright on the book)

And what is that body armour made of anyway? I'm dieing to know.

The over fabric wrap looks so "old school".

Do we think they found these instructions in a vintage publication (like late meiji, early taisho?)

It's like oragami body art. :ori:

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:23 am

NAME: Sekhet

Very interesting, want toooo...

There is links to the other in the series vol 2. ect. here

www.e-hon.ne.jp

or here

http://www.junkudo.co.jp

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:23 am

Well done for finding those, Sekhet! Pity I would have no idea how to buy from the site, or even how much they cost! Nice t know they're out there, I'll keep an eye open for them.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:24 am

NAME: Immortal Geisha

Do you have a Japanese bookstore anywhere near you? I find that if I take the ISBN with me to Kinokuniya - they'll order it in for me. In fact, I'm going to go and write down all those ISBNs from the e-hon site for when I go to Kinokuniya next.

Hmm - I think I have this one, actually - I'll have to go and check my shelves and see.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:24 am

IG, I'd love to know if it was more of the same, if so I'd get a copy!

Alas, I haven't found any Japanese shops near me. I would have thought there might be something in Manchester as it's a big city, but there is a big Chinatown district so I think most asian type shops are focused on the Chinese population in the city.

If anyone does know anywhere in Manchester with anything remotely Japanese, do share :)

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:25 am

NAME: Iyolin

I'm pretty sure this is the book I've asked my friend to buy for me and send my way... but we're both notoriously bad for sending stuff. Took him 2-3 years to send me my other books, so I expect this one will take a while... I can't remember what I asked for, so it'll be a surprise when it finally arrives!

Thanks for sharing, though. I'm sure I've been looking at that one on amazon.co.jp.

To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. - Joseph Chilton Pearce

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:25 am

NAME: Immortal Geisha

Ok - after looking, it turns out I DO have vol. 2! I'll try to do some scans of it later today - but flipping through it - it's one of my favourite style books in my library. It just didn't occur to me that despite the big fat 2 on the spine - that it might be a part of a series. :oops:

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:26 am

NAME: Sekhet

Sounds like a good idear to order through a bookstore, and easy :)

And as Iyolin writes, you can order through Amazon Japan, they have a small tranlater, so the essentiel parts are traslated to english. (I have done it 4 times)

Amazon Japan

Cost:
Image20,23$ Image 21,49$

What I do with Japanese websites, is that I have one site at a time translatet with googletranslater, you know, copy the web adress http://......., paste it in the google translater - jananese to english, vupti you get the entire site kind of translated, but I guess you know that :wink: .

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:26 am

You're a star, Sekhet! I use the google translator a lot, but would think twice before trusting it with payments :)