Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:41 pm

KIMONO dress: きものからドレス by 高城 良子

Language:
:jp Japanese

No. of pages: 88

ISBN-10: 4579111966
ISBN-13: 978-4579111961

Amazon.co.jp Link

This entire book is all about making everyday Western clothing and some accessories out of kimono fabric. The first half of the book provides pictures, and the second half of the book has illustrated instructions on how to create the featured clothing. It also comes with dress patterns. Most of the patterns are for the size of the average Japanese woman, ranging from bust measurement 85cm to 90cm.

I actually don’t sew clothes at all, but the clothes in this book are so beautiful, and I thought it’d be really great if someone could get some use out of it :) I’m hoping I’ll be able to find a local tailor who can follow the instructions easily, so I can get something made out of it ^^;

Contents:
1) Charming Elegant Dresses – pg 4 to 11

- Features pictures of elegant dresses for everyday wear. 6 items in this section.

2) Stylish Item – pg 12 to 25
- Features pictures of other items of clothing, such as bags, halter tops, and a miniskirt. 10 items in this section.

3) Tunic Dress – pg 26 to 31
- Features pictures of (what else?) tunic dresses with various features such as puff sleeves and ruffle sleeves. 4 items in this section.

4) Long Dress – pg 32 to 36
- Features long dresses. There is this dress that would look really gorgeous as an evening gown made of furisode fabric! 3 items in this section.

5) How to Make – pg 37 to 87
- The illustrated instructions for all 23 items are in this section.
- At the very front, there is a page dedicated to telling you about the parts of a kimono and how to unpick it. There are also two pages that teach you about the parts of the kimono once it’s been unpicked, and how to cut the fabric to make your dress.
-For each item, there will be a small column on the side that will tell you the amount of fabric you wil need for the dress, and any other sewing materials that you will need (eg, velvet ribbon, zip).

Pros:
Gorgeous pictures.
Plenty of ideas if your kimono is stained but you still want to wear them in some way.
Comes with the patterns.

Cons:
For an experienced seamstress.
Need to be fluent in written Japanese language.

Recommended for:
Experienced seamstresses / tailors
People who generally enjoy nice pictures :P

Not Recommended for:
Beginner seamstresses / tailors
People looking for a comprehensive guide to sewing
People who don’t understand Japanese
People who can’t stand the thought of cutting up kimono :P

Scans:
(The actual pictures are more vibrant than this – my scanner seems to have abit of a problem ^^;)
Page 5:
Page 10:
Page 34:

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Re: [J] KIMONO dress: きものからドレス by 高城 良子

NAME: James

The title (kimono kara doresu -- from kimono to dress) suggests the book's about turning kimonos into dresses: remaking kimonos as dresses rather than just making dresses from kimono fabric.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

NAME: GoldenPhoenix

Well, these dresses look really beautiful compared to a lot of the western clothing I've seen made from kimono. Most of the kimono remakes I've seen are very boxy looking without much tailoring. These actually look quite form flattering. I have a few kimono/karinui I'd like to remake as western dresses, so I'd definitely be interested in this book.

My kanzashi and Japanese crafts:
Kurokami-Kanzashi.deviantart.com

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:42 pm

NAME: Midorichan

I'd wear that dress from page 5 in a heartbeat.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:42 pm

NAME: chibistef

amen to that amy x'D i'd do too <3 it's gorgeous *U* maybe if i ever find a kimono that would do good for a dress i'd try tailoring it into such a dress <3

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:43 pm

NAME: Tsubame

I just got this book, the dresses are just beautiful!!
But the instructions (where to put the patterns on fabric to cut) are actually for kimono bolts, not for pieces you get from unsewing a kimono. They show you instructions for 36cm wide bolts or 90cm wide fabric.
But there's no way you can get stripes 585cm long (for example, for n.21) from a kimono.
Of course I think you can figure out how to arrange the patterns on an unsewn kimono, but I'd prefer to have them clearly explained in the book, I am a bit disappointed for this. The only instructions about getting a dress from a furisode is what shira said, 3 pages in total (for dress n.21), and again, they don't show how to arrange all patterns on the pieces you get from unsew the kimono.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:43 pm

NAME: Lumikettu

I got this book too and the dresses featured are stunning! I really enjoy the fact that even if you can't read japanese, you can understand the illustrations with basic sewing/tailoring skills.

The Sewing Blog: http://lumikettusewing.blogspot.fi/