Maiko-san

The Fine Art of Kimono Embroidery

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:00 pm

NAME: Titania

Title
"The Fine Art of Kimono Embroidery"
Shizuka Kusano
ISBN-13 : 978-4-7700-3024-5

This beautiful coffee-table style book contains the work of Shizuka Kusano, a very talented embroiderer. I have to say, I was disappointed, but that is because I was expecting something that was more "How To".
As the title indicates, she mostly concentrates on showing kimono, tapestries and other items in it as well.
Shizuka Kusano relates to us her inspiration and what mood she means the embroidery to envoke. She is very inspired by other forms of art, especially "the Tale of Genji"
In the back of the book is a shortish chapter on the history of japanese embroidery and finally an essay on the authors journey to her art.

Good for:
Inspiration.
Admiration of sheer beauty

Not recommended for:
This is not a how to book, there are no charts for the embroidery or technical information on how to embroider.
I would probably go to another source for a more indepth analysis of the history of japanese embroidery

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Re: The Fine Art of Kimono Embroidery

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:01 pm

NAME: tzippurah

Shizuka Kusano (草乃 しずか) has written many books in Japanese on traditional style embroidery, so I too was excited when I got this out of the library a while ago. However, like Titiana said, it is by no means an instruction manual. I was happy to leaf through it and return it. I suppose if you already knew how to do Japanese embroidery, you could use it for inspiration.

If you want to see her other books, you can find them here, on her website. Most of the images on her site are actually links, so click away to see bigger pics, book pages, etc.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

NAME: LightspeedGoddess

Titania-san, thanks for posting - I wish it could have been a how-to book also, but I'm planning on getting it even if it's just inspiration.

tzippurah-san, thanks for the links - those will be helpful!

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

NAME: U no Hana

Thanks for the review! I believe I will purchase it for inspiration & admiration ( :lol: very well said and made me laugh!)

The pics look awesome and even it could look like the book is useless (no instructions) I believe these kind of books are "a training for the eye". =D