Four Centuries of Fashion:Classical Kimono from the Kyoto...

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Four Centuries of Fashion:Classical Kimono from the Kyoto...

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:56 pm

Four Centuries of Fashion: Classical Kimono from the Kyoto National Museum
Yoko Woodson
Shigeki Kawakami
Translation by Yoko Woodson & Richard Mellott
ISBN: 0939117096
150 pages
From Amazon

Contents

Foreward
Forming the National Style: Classical Kimono in Historical Review
Clad in Beautiful Colors and Myriad Motifs
Catalogue Entries
Changing Fashions
Yuzenzome
Imperial Robes
Samurai Class Robes
Toiletry Articles & Wedding Robes
Hair Fashion Trends
Bibliography
Appendix I: Traditional Kimono Colors
Appendix II: Chronology
Index

Review

Four Centuries of Fashion: Classical Kimono from the Kyoto National Museum is actually a catalogue from the 1997 Asian Art Museum of San Francisco exhibition of the same name. This is a handsome large softcover with two long essay sections taking up the first 30 pages and then 100+ pages devoted to the catalogue itself. The information in the essay sections on dyes and the ways fashions changed were actually so fascinating I didn't even flip ahead to the full page photos (like I have done in the past with catalogues like Opulence: The Kimonos and Robes of Itchiku Kubota).

The kosode themselves are incredible. Each is given a full page with an explantion facing and often a close up and explanation of the kind of weave of silk or other fabric. I will put up some scans later as soon as I can figure out a way to scan it without hurting the library book. There is even a foldout on trends in Edo era hairstyles.

If I have one niggling complaint, it's that sometimes too much is traslated. "Pine" instead of matsu is fine, but "tie dye" instead of shibori begins to get a little annoying. However, specific techniques are transliterated, so it is possible to follow along (although kanji would be nice, too).

Recommended for:

-Anyone interested in historical dyeing techniques
-Anyone interested in beautiful pictures of kosode and other rare historical textiles

Not recommended for:

-People looking for information on kimono (mid nineteenth century on) not kosode

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Re: Four Centuries of Fashion:Classical Kimono from the Kyoto...

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:59 pm

NAME: tzippurah

Here are the scans I promised:

Each piece in the collection had a facing page with details and often closeups of the weaving technique. My scanner was having trouble with the vast expanses of white though, so I didn't scan all the facing pages for the pieces shown. I also scanned the fold out chart of Edo hairstyles since I recently received a question about them and I know there is a lot of interest in historical hair. It's a four page foldout, so read across the top row for Early Edo, etc.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Re: Four Centuries of Fashion:Classical Kimono from the Kyoto...

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:59 pm

NAME: rubyminky

Thankyou for the kimono scans, Tzippuah! The explanatory notes are so interesting, it's brilliant to have them in English.
I have dithered about buying this book before, but without having a look through, wasn't sure.