The New Kimono: From Vintage Style to Everyday Chic

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

The New Kimono: From Vintage Style to Everyday Chic

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:50 am

NAME: U no Hana

THE NEW KIMONO. From vintage style to everyday chic.

by THE EDITORS OF NANAO MAGAZINE.

ISBN 78-4- 7700-3148-8
Language: English
127 pages.
Published in 2011.

Available at Amazon, Amazon UK, Tesco and other online bookstores. BTW, the Amazon UK mentions IG Forums in the Product Description! :blonde:

(Advice: I've tried to scan new pics so you could see Rubyminky's and mine )

CONTENTS:

This book shows a compilation of different articles featured at Nana.oh kimono magazine from 2004 to 2009 (not sure why they write in this book Nanao as in the covers it ‘s always written Nana·oh)
I would like to advice, though, that vintage is used in the broader sense, meaning not only “antique kimono or obi” but also “secondhand” ones. I would advice, too, that I’m a big fan of the magazine. Sorry if anyone feels I’m too enthusiastic in this review. (Though I don’t tend to make reviews about books I don’t like)

The book has five chapters with different articles

1. REAL WOMEN AND THE NEW KIMONO:

* Everyday Kimono
(photoshoot- atumn kimono)

* How I catch The Kimono Fever (interviews)
* Vintage Summer Style (styling- summer kimono)
* The World of Wool (wool fabrics)
* New Year Dreams (photoshoot- winter kimono)

2- OBI AND ZORI

* Choosing an Obi (tips)
* One kimono, Three Obi (coordination)
* Free and Easy- Your Very Own Nagoya Obi (interviews about making your own obi)
* An Obi for Spring (styling)
* My Favorite Zori (interview and zori tips)

3- COORDINATING YOUR OUTFIT

* Mom's Kimono Gets a Makeover (styling)
* A wool Kimono Is Like a Pair of Jeans (Interviews about wool kimono )
* Coordination Clinic- Your Problems Solved (coordination tips- how to change your outfit changing accessories)
* Spring tsumugi (styling- spring outfits)

4- YUKATA AND DRESSING FOR SUMMER

* Yukata - The summer kimono (Photoshoot & intruducing yukata)
* Yukata Tips (coordination)
* The Coolest Summer Accessories (coordination)
* Vintage Fabrics for Summer Days (vintage summer fabrics)
* Beating the Heat: Tricks and Tips (interview and tricks for summer kitsuke)

5- A KIMONO DAY OUT IN ASAKUSA. a kimono stroll around Asakusa, includin shops and photos of street people in kimono.

APPENDIX:

Putting On Kimono an Obi (includes instructions for juban, kimono, nagoya obi, yukata and hanhaba obi)
Glossary
Price Guide
Shop List
Index

PROS:

- IT’S IN ENGLISH. It’s a big pleasure to be able not only to look at the outfits they propose, but understanding the comments and important points (and the small details as well!)
- Written in a fresh and friendly style, encourages the DIY, being creative and doing comfortable kitsuke.
- It focuses in everyday kimono. This means, though, that the outfits are not “bright and daring” and it is full of tsumugi, wool and cotton kimono. (It could be a little boring for ladies in the bright side of kitsuke)
- Shows real women wearing real outfits. They are all kimono-lover ladies and each one has her own taste and her own style, and they look natural and approachable. Very interesting to see something different than perfect models in perfect outfits.
- The interviews wit kimono wearers and stylists are really charming.
- Full of nice sized pictures, so you can see everything clearly in the ensembles, and even guess the texture of some fabrics.

CONS:

I’m not sure these are cons but some things I’m missing. I’m sure, though, it has been a hard work choosing the articles from 16 issues and trying to figure out what would be not only appealing but also instructive to non Japanese kimono lovers. Not to add that we foreign kimono lovers are a very wide target population, with very different levels of kimono knowledge (from totally newbies to quite advanced) and very different ages and tastes.
In any case, what I missed was:

- More “in depth “ articles I’ve seen in the magazines: about different kinds of undergarments, how to make undies & how to "fake" them, cleaning tips or a very interesting one about body shapes and kitsuke tricks (though I believe this was published after 2009). I also missed at least one article about edo-komon, as they published an issue almost entirely focused on them.
- Though it encourages the DIY there are no instructions for making the items. (But in any case I felt so encouraged and relieved after discovering that is ok to remake lovely old juban in obi… it makes me happy)

Recommended for:
People even with a very little knowledge in kimono and kitsuke, interested in women’s contemporary trends and kimono coordinates in an urban chic (and slhightly mature) style.

Don't recommended for:
People looking for a step-by-step in depth kitsuke book.
People interested in more modern styles, a là Kimono Hime, or vintage total looks.
People interested youthful outfits in a very kawaii style.

My opinion
Simply, I love it, because it’s evident they want their lectors to love kimono, nor to be afraid of kimono.
I really love the strong “you can live in kimono” feeling and the natural styling, and the fact they aren't showing you perfect models in percfect outfits all the time. The interviews with different stylist and kimono wearers provide a variety of ways of approaching to kimono, not always in the same direction :lol: The fact some of them are self taught or learned kitsuke informally at home is encouraging for all of us who can't attend to kitsuke lessons.
The stress in comfy kitsuke makes me feel I have more leeway when wearing kimono, and I don't need to be afraid of taking decissions. And I've learned new words and many interesting tips. :)
So I really hope they publish more books in English.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Re: The New Kimono: From Vintage Style to Everyday Chic

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:50 am

NAME: rubyminky

Great review, U no hana!

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:51 am

NAME: Immortal Geisha

Excellent review!

And wow! I didn't even realize we were mentioned in the product description. How do product descriptions work? Customers can create / edit - or is it handled by staff?

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:51 am

Thanks, ladies :)
Immortal Geisha wrote:And wow! I didn't even realize we were mentioned in the product description. How do product descriptions work? Customers can create / edit - or is it handled by staff?

I think it's handled by staff, and customers create reviews, but I'm not sure.
Looking at other books description, could be someone in the staff loves kimono (though not Mr. Yamanaka very much). Interesting... :lol:

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:52 am

NAME: Hiro

Hello,

I got and read this book last week.

I'm disappointed at this book.

First, this book just emphasizes ordinary kimonos, not shows the dramatic faces of kimonos as one of the fashionable items. Most of the people, who are not interested in kimono now, don't pick up this book. I think this book has no power to increase the people who love kimono in the world.

Second, the kimonos in this book look monotonous. This book don't show the interesting aspects of color combination among kimono, obi, obi-age, etc. The kimonos in this book look old fashioned, not New.

Third, I think this book doesn't focus on people outside Japan. Why don't the editors pick up people wearing kimono outside Japan? As you see on this forum, there are many people wearing kimono all over the world. I think the editors seem to ignore us.

Fourth, the shop list shows just kimono or Japanese goods shops in Japan. The editors should introduce many kimono shops or online stores like ICHIROYA, where we can get kimonos and kimono accessories in reality outside Japan.

Finally, as for the introduction of kimono, this book provides few information about the basic knowledge of kimonos. As for the practical book for kimono, this book doesn't show the variety of the kimonos. The targets of this book are unclear.

I hope another books will be published for kimono lovers , or potential kimono lovers, in the world in the near future.

And I hope many people enjoy kimono life all over the world.

Hiro

PS. Now I know that Kodansha International closed on April 30th, 2011. We have no way to respond to the publisher about this book.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:52 am

NAME: Peccantis

Hiro wrote:Third, I think this book doesn't focus on people outside Japan. Why don't the editors pick up people wearing kimono outside Japan? As you see on this forum, there are many people wearing kimono all over the world. I think the editors seem to ignore us.
Ah, but do they know we exist? And if they do, do they care about a few dozens or hundreds of random foreigners when they have an audience of tens or hundreds of thousands Japanese women? And if they do, still, if the book is to be a "normal" kimono book, wouldn't it be drastic overemphasis on the tiny minority of foreign wearers to even include them in such a book?

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:53 am

I only would remind all of us that this book is a compilation of articles previously featured at nana.oh kimono magazine, 七緒 so:

- Photos and contents were adressed to Japanese kimono wearers, the original target of this magazine.
- This magazine is focused in everyday kimono so they feature "ordinary" kimonos with lots of cotton, wool and tsumugi fabrics. This means that more dramatic kimono is not their matter, and they go usually for subdued outfits, as usually everyday clothing is more subdued than special occasions clothing.
Probably most kimono look old fashioned and not new because they are secondhand kimono, and the magazine often features lots of secondhand kimono stores.
But it's just the type of kimono that is easier to find and buy for non-japanese kimono wearers.

Peccantis I believe they know we exist and this was the reason they published this recopilatory book. :]
In fact, in 七緒 nº20 (winter 2009) they published an article about a Dutch lady who has a kimono blog and wears kimono very often even for work.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:54 am

Hello Peccantis san and U no Hana san,

I know very well that this book is a compilation of articles previously featured at NaNao magazine, but I don't know why they put the tile of this book as "The New Kimono". I feel uncomfortable with the discrepancy between the title and the contents.

I believe the editors know this forum: Immortal Geisha. because a friend of mine previously emailed and introduced this forum to the editor. As they had recognized that there are many kimono lovers in the world, so they published this book.

Kodansha International (KI) has been one of the biggest Japanese publishers, which can and did introduce Japanese culture to the world. I am very sorry that KI publishes such a less-attractive kimono book. If KI has published many kimono books in English, this book is OK. But KI publishes just one kimono book after 25 year interval, so I am disappointed at the contents of this book. I believe KI could publish more attractive kimono book to the world.

Sorry for many complaints. Finally, I would like to add a good point of this book. The photos of the process for kimono wearing at the last part is useful for many people.

Thanks,

Hiro

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

NAME: Immortal Geisha

Hiro-san - Thank you very much for your opinions! It's interesting to see how you felt about the book compared to some of us and I appreciated that you shared with us.

I personally would have loved to have seen some more colourful, fun ensembles - you know me, I love bright Taisho style - but on the other hand, I did enjoy reading articles about everyday wear kimono. I think here on the Immortal Geisha forums - there's a very wide variety of styles, and there is a large population of international kimono wearers who do like everyday style, so there was a place for the book as it was.

What I would have liked to have seen was cleaning tips, of all things! We know how delicate and careful we have to be with kimono, and not having access to cleaners with kimono cleaning experience, it's very much trial and error for most of us. I am sad to hear the publisher has closed, as I had hoped there would be more publications.

Did your friend contact the editor before the book was published? I am curious if the forums played a part in deciding to translate and publish the book, and therefore the choice in the articles?

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Hello Immortal Geisha-san,

Thank you very much for your message.
I hope more kimono books will be published in English.

I heard my friend have contacted with the editors of Nanao magazine several times since a few years ago. I think they knew and checked our forum before decision of the publication, because I heard they were very interested in our forum. I also wonder why nobody in this forum, like you, was involved in the publication of this book.

Thanks,

Hiro

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:55 am

NAME: Shirayuri Suzi

Hiro wrote:I hope more kimono books will be published in English.

So, Hiro-San, when can we all look forward to you writing a kimono book? (hint hint)
:kawaii:

Suzi

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Hello Shirayuri Suzi-San,

Ha Ha Ha. I have no plan for publication.
I hope that attendants of the IG forum will be involved in the next publication about kimono in English. I would like to attend this project.
Thanks,

Hiro

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

NAME: sillygatos

It's clear from prior posts that this book is not the "perfect" kimono book, but no single book can satisfy everyone. And the title might be misleading to some; the book's focus is everyday wear. However, Nanao's compilation of articles is now one of my favorites, leaving me wishing for more, much more. Then again, I love the relaxed attitude about dressing in kimono.

Of particular interest to me:

* tips on beating the heat (yes, many of these tips can be learned by reading IG posts, but here they appear in one easy location with pictures and expressed by kimono wearers in Japan (as if you're not "cheating" if the locals do it, too)).

* "one kimono, three obi" (be still my beating heart, OMG says the spouse)

* quick dressing tips (admittedly good only for casual wear)

* suggestion to wear woven obi with dyed kimono and vice versa

I recommend buying a copy, particularly if you're interested in English language "how to."