Maiko-san
Maiko-san

:eng Kimonos by Sophie Milenovich

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:37 am

NAME: moefen

Kimonos by Sophie Milenovich

ISBN-10 0-8109- 9450-X

Amazon.com Link

Yes, dear IG readers, as you have guessed by the title, this is not a Japanese book. The title is pluralized which will give knowledgeable kimono aficionados a moment’s pause. But I recommend looking past this (and other problems) to what is a quite lovely little book.

Sophie Milenovich is a French fashion designer who traveled to Japan to work with Yohji Yamamoto. While in Tokyo her fascination of kimono grew. She eventually amassed quite a lovely collection (many which illustrate the book), and a love of kimono. This book was first written and published in French, so the English version is a translation. This could one of the reasons for a number of incorrect terms and phrases. It is a little annoying but not particularly misleading.

The book is published by Abrams, which is a well-known art book publisher, and they have done a beautiful job here. It is a small, short and wide hardcover, with a bright pink cover. The pages are matte (non-glossy) and the photography is really crisp and bright. It combines vintage photos, ads, vintage prints, photos of outfits styled for the book, street photography and illustrations in the fashionable new book style that is heavy on pictures, with minimal text. Milenovich’s Taisho era kimonos are just to die for!

This is by no means a comprehensive look at kimono (refer to Liza Dalby’s for that work), but it is a lovely introduction to kimono for those that know little about it. It touches on many different areas regarding kimono. She opens a kimono to explain the ingenuity in construction, runs the basics of types of kimono (some name mistakes here), touches on how kimono influenced western fashion, specifically Madame Vionnet. There is an interesting discussion of Andre-Leroi Gurhan’s “Mileu et techniquesâ€Â

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Re: :eng Kimonos by Sophie Milenovich

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:38 am

NAME: Iyolin

Ohhh, I'm glad someone reviewed this, as it's on my amazon wish list. Glad to hear it's a worthy addition for all the photos (figured it was a photo book first and foremost).

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

NAME: Bai Mianxi

Received this one for Christmas. I agree, the photos are interesting. I'm not going to comment in detail on the text; it gave me several "huh?" moments. But I thought I'd warn folks who might be buying it to read it--the graphic design gets in the way of the text. All the type is set on colored backgrounds, many of them quite dark. The acknowledgments and photo credits are black on dark blue-gray, for example.

--Bai

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

NAME: moefen

Yes, i forgot about the dark grey background with midgrey text for the credits and notes. I should have remembered: i was tilting the book this way and that trying to catch enough light to read in our Black Hole apartment.

I will still strongly recommend as a pretty coffee table book, as long as you have good lighting!

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

NAME: shigatsuhana

I also have this on my wishlist. I am a collector of books so I think this one will eventually find it to my coffee table. :) Thanks for the review. I was really wondering about it.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:39 am

NAME: shira

Thanks for the review!

I went to a bookstore about a week after seeing this and happened to see the book there O_O So I bought it.

Very nice, like you said, it's definitely a coffee table book. I most certainly prefer 'natural environment' aka 'candid shot' photos to the impossible-to-achieve perfection in magazines!

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:39 am

NAME: rubyminky

It's on my wishlist too! Good to know a little more about it. It's moved from my wishlist to shopping basket and back again on Amazon a couple of times and hasn't made the leap into postbox yet :)

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:40 am

NAME: ikasan

For french readers we have it in " la langue de moliere" with a nice meisen cover :D

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:40 am

NAME: Onanako

when you guys do get it, look for the tabi shoes. waaay in the back. (Already read it) its awesome for combination ideas.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:41 am

NAME: shira

After flipping through the book countless times (it's a permanent fixture on my bedside table now :P), I realise one tiny little thing that irritates me. In the summer section, there isn't a picture of non-yukata kimono. It kinda irks me, I guess, especially after reading 'Summer Kimonos and the Colours of Japan'.

Other than that tiny detail, it's a great book ^_^

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

NAME: shigatsuhana

I finally bought this and got it last week. I think it's a beautiful book and certainly great for drool factor. :droolbunny: I see many kimono I would like to covet. LOL!

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

NAME: U no Hana

Now there is a special offer: only $4.99 instead of $ 24.95 :shock:

I've purchased it today, together with "Snow, wave, pine" ( in special offer, too). :D

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:42 am

NAME: orastella

Wow, now that's a good deal!

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:42 am

NAME: tzippurah

I'm going to have to dissent from the majority opinion here. I got this book through interlibrary loan and I am very glad I looked at it before I bought. Almost all of the pictures are of women walking away. It gives the feeling that the photographer didn't even stop to ask permission before snapping the picture. Almost half the the pages are blank, as the pages facing the photos often have no text. The captions in the index merely say things like "Tokyo, 2005" without any further detail. This adds to the feeling of alienation of the photographer from the women photographed. These pages could easily been used to show details or the front of the outfit. Also, all the shots of yukata in the "Summer" section are taken at night and extremely blurry.

The text is often very confusing. What are clearly hakama are referred to as a kamishimo although the groom isn't wearing kataginu. The narrative moves along at its own pace. Milenovich is interested in textile design and approaches the kimono from that perspective.

Some of the outfits are really nice and I wish more of a Fruits type approach had been taken- asking the wearer about what she wore and why or at least providing the reader with some information about the outfit. Some of the outfits were... well, I wouldn't have included them. The re-read value for me is low, so I can't recommend buying this book.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:43 am

NAME: sillygatos

The flower obi on the extreme right is also featured on page 60 of Nanao's "The New Kimono." That book gives the source of the obi as Bushoan from Sinso Ohashi.