[J] First Beauty of Kasane Colours

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

[J] First Beauty of Kasane Colours

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:33 am

NAME: Sarcasm-hime

The First Beauty of Kasane Colours (google translate, may be off)
かさね彩めの美 (遊び心・きもの心)
Language: Japanese
ISBN 4-573-01206-0
Amazon.co.jp link

I borrowed this one from Iyolin and fell in love, and then found my own copy at Book-off. It's SO inspirational for me! It's all about layering kimono and collars, and shows a style that is quite different than what we're used to seeing in magazines.

If anyone can translate the text in these photos (and if the text is relevant/interesting) it would be helpful!

Contents:

Please keep in mind that I cannot read Japanese at all so I'm just guessing at a lot of things!

The first section seems to have ensembles arranged by seasonal motif.

I need this kimono SO BAD

What's been done here with the tesaki in front is really interesting!

The second section seems to be featuring different people and their individual ensembles. I like this one for the sheer rainbow-y kimono worn as dounuki, it's a cool effect.

The third section seems to be a feature on the lady who seems to be the head of the kimono school? I love her look, I want to be bold and awesome like her when I'm her age. XD

Then there are a bunch of casual ensembles laid out flat.

After that are some more models in interesting layered ensembles, including some really neat obi ideas (using ties!?!)

Overall, I love this book for the unusual style it's portraying and the graceful, casual feel. I was intrigued to see that many of the ensembles have no ohashori, and obi worn very low!

Recommended:
- For those interested in a funky style of kitsuke and being inspired to experiment.
- For those who need ideas on how to combine ensembles.

Not Recommended:
- For those looking for detailed instructions on kitsuke (there are none)
- For those looking for traditional, formal kitsuke.

Last edited by Sarcasm-hime on Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Re: [J] First Beauty of Kasane Colours

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:33 am

NAME: the Lady Ashuko

That's cool. :lovelove

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:34 am

NAME: Iyolin

I'm glad you found a copy! I know you loved it a lot, so that's awesome. When did you find time to check out a Book-Off? We don't have one in Toronto AFAIK!

To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. - Joseph Chilton Pearce

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:35 am

It was when I was in NYC this past summer :D Amusingly the staff of the Book-off didn't even know where their kimono books were, I had to find them by sheer luck and then they thanked me for finding them LOL

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:36 am

NAME: Keiha

I love the last few photos with the playful obi! I don't have all the proper obi accoutrements yet, so I'm always on the lookout for kimono models doing non-traditional (or, hyper-traditional? I'm thinking ukiyoe-chic?) things with their obi. Plus I like that those outfits look put-together and "correct" without being yukata-informal. :lovelove I have to get this book.

Suddenly the world of kitsuke looks so much brighter to me :D I've never seen anything so playful and classy like this!

Image**Geijutsu Forever: preserving Japanese arts through study and practice** ~ If you won't be joining the IG transition to Facebook (and even if you are) please consider joining my forum and helping to keep the geijutsu community alive and connected! :)

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:37 am

NAME: Kokoro

That´s quite inetresting, thanks for sharing :)

Is it just me or do most ladies wear their collar really wide open? 8-O
is it because of the extra layer or to show more of the different designs?????????

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:38 am

NAME: Toyoka

that s really unusual styles of kimono :pout: they look quite funny to see kimono with "Bumper" when you are use to see obi hiding everything :oops: :oops:

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:39 am

NAME: Iyolin

Kokoro wrote:Is it just me or do most ladies wear their collar really wide open? 8-O
is it because of the extra layer or to show more of the different designs?????????

Kokoro, although I can't read it either, I think it's just fashion to show off the layers, and maybe a little 'call-back' to the days when many layers were worn as I think more was shown then, too. Not having tried it myself yet, it could also be just what you have to do if wearing so many layers to deal with the amount of fabric (though I know it happens when one wants to wear a too-small kimono ).

It's too bad the book doesn't have a kitsuke section, as teaching the layered look/how to wear multiple layers isn't really that common.

To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. - Joseph Chilton Pearce

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:40 am

NAME: siren10101

I will suggest with the collars that there all not made to double over, but hey, i'm willing to give it a shot and see how dressing with all these collars and kimono turns out ^^

Now main blog!!! http://thingsyoucouldntdo.blogspot.com.au/

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:40 am

NAME: SuperGrouper

Ooh, I need this book.

(To me, it looks like they're trying to emulate kosode style- hence the lack of ohashouri and low obi-placement in some of those pics. Some of them also have kind of old-looking patterns...)

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:41 am

NAME: Cicada 13

Ooooh, those low neckline Vs and loose, crossed obi--it's very pigeon-breasted, very 1890-1910! Same with the soft, drapey obi knots, I love the one that almost looks like a darari-style knot with a chuuya (the one worn with the yellow, wave-pattern kimono Sarcasm-hime loves so much).

It's elegant and fun and so playful. I want my own copy!

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

NAME: Keiha

I think the title might be something more like The Beauty of Layering Colors (The Beauty of Layered Colors?)

kasane: layering
irome: coloring (彩 and 色 both mean color, I think 彩 is supposed to be more sophisticated/artistic.)

Image**Geijutsu Forever: preserving Japanese arts through study and practice** ~ If you won't be joining the IG transition to Facebook (and even if you are) please consider joining my forum and helping to keep the geijutsu community alive and connected! :)

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

NAME: kiiro

keiha is correct about the title. kasane means to layer something and the kanji for iro used there means something close to colour arrangement or varigated colours/ hues. so the most correct translation would be "the beauty of layered (colour) coordination". but i am totally confused of the use of the word "irome" instead of irodori....now i have more questions for my sensei (lol). this book looks really cool and i love the style. i like the ones that use an ohashori for some reason (it just looks cool and i could imagine how hard it must have been to do that!) and i love the picture with the green ro kimono. the text comments on being able to see the solid coloured layer under the see through ro. that is just really cool! and some other pictures show them using a ro or sha material as the second layer. (which means i can do this in my country when my kitsuke skills are good enough! :katana: ) my favourite though is in the second to last picture. did anyone notice that she is using a necktie over her obi!? i didn't actually...it says so in the text but i am giddy right now with the possibilities :lol:

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:42 am

NAME: SuperGrouper

kiiro wrote:keiha is correct about the title. kasane means to layer something and the kanji for iro used there means something close to colour arrangement or varigated colours/ hues. so the most correct translation would be "the beauty of layered (colour) coordination". but i am totally confused of the use of the word "irome" instead of irodori....now i have more questions for my sensei (lol). this book looks really cool and i love the style. i like the ones that use an ohashori for some reason (it just looks cool and i could imagine how hard it must have been to do that!) and i love the picture with the green ro kimono. the text comments on being able to see the solid coloured layer under the see through ro. that is just really cool! and some other pictures show them using a ro or sha material as the second layer. (which means i can do this in my country when my kitsuke skills are good enough! :katana: ) my favourite though is in the second to last picture. did anyone notice that she is using a necktie over her obi!? i didn't actually...it says so in the text but i am giddy right now with the possibilities :lol:

It might be (probably is? ) a reference to Kasane no Irome (note: Google image search result, actually shows this better than a reference page would), which is the color-code/seasonality ruleset used for layering robes of different colors in the Heian era.

Good gravy, I just noticed the list price on the book... Was it about $200 USD when this review was first written, or did the price shoot up? ;_;

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:43 am

NAME: kiiro

^ or hor that makes sense, layering as they did with heian style clothing...possible also why the use of the kanji is strange too. i am guessing its an old use/ old term. so this makes me wonder then if when trying this style one should know a bit about the heian colour coordinating rules????? which i recall are a bit extensive :pout:

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:43 am

I think that only scholars are super familiar with Heian colour coordinations so no need to worry too much about that.

As for the price, I got it for around $10 at a used bookstore...