Maiko-san

[J] [ENG] Summer Kimono and the Colors of Japan

Post by shira » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:17 am

NAME: Peccantis

Summer Kimono and the Colors of Japan
着物と日本の色 夏篇
ISBN 489444531X :eng :jp paperback

Amazon.com

Scans and an independent copy of cover coming up.

Summer Kimono and the Colors of Japan by Yukioka Katsumi features 45 vintage summer kimonos and obis, with detailed descriptions of the traditional colours, patterns, and materials used in them. Yumioka-san, confessing his disappointment in the lack of creativity in modern kimonos, has chosen a range of some of the more exotic summer patterns. Nearly all text is provided in both Japanese and English, making this an excellent source for those interested in kimono-related kanji.

The book is an amazing source of knowledge with valuable info of such things as pattern origins and historical connotations, or now-obsolete materials. The English translation is of high quality, although for a kimono enthusiastic with no Japanese reading skills it might omit a bit of too much Japanese terminology. For the uninitiated reader, the text is fully understandable as even terms such as furisode are described immediately. Each item introduction features a swatch of the colour with the name in kanji, the English name of the colour, and English, kana and kanji for the pattern.

In the end of the book there is a short directory of all items introduced in the book, with era, material, item type, pattern name, and technique listed. Unfortunately this section is completely in kanji.

The images are large, most of them full page, making this book a nice candidate for the coffee table despite the paperback. The book has 232 pages and is rather heavy, and somewhat combersome to manipulate; I would have preferred a hardback because of this. The layout is pleasant, using coloured text for English. Only at one or two places this fails, when underlying pale pattern of an image makes the white text unclear. For the elderly reader however, some of the colours might be a touch too light to be easily readable.

Overall I consider this book a great find at 20-30 dollars as listed in Amazon, and despite its minor faults I can wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone interested in the complex art of traditional Japanese patterns and colours.

Recommended:
* people interested in recent history of the kimono
* people interested in deeper insight to Japanese traditional patterns and colours
* people interested in vintage kimono

Not recommended:
* people looking for a general introduction to kimonos
* people looking for info of antique kimonos or obsolete Japanese traditional wear
* people with profound dislike for Japanese special terminology such as detailed names of dyeing techniques or textiles

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Re: [J] [ENG] Summer Kimono and the Colors of Japan

Post by shira » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:17 am

NAME: wisteriaobi

I just can't wait:) peccantissan

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:18 am

NAME: rubyminky

Great, informative review. This definitely makes me want to buy the book. Thanks!

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:18 am

NAME: yukatafan

I just got my copy of this book in the mail today and I really like the full color photographs and Yukioka Katsumi's discussions of flower names, color names, and the techniques in dyeing, weaving, painting & embroidering of the kimono depicted.

Where the book falls short is in its use of tiny print in the color being discussed (hard on older eyes to read some of those faint pastels against a white page or a busy kimono) and the fact that the detailed information at the back of the book of each kimono is only in Kanji.

Also this isn't a kitsuke book, but if you're interested in design and especially like summer kimono, you'll like this book.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:19 am

NAME: muhvi

I just got this book and I love it! The pictures are amazing, this is going to be one of those books which I can browse endlessly when I am trying to get some sleep (and am hoping to dream about kimono :lol: ).

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:20 am

NAME: Kokoro

I love this book, it´s such a pleasure to go through the pages with it´s pictures and information :smil3:

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:21 am

NAME: sillygatos

Some pages are hard to read, as yukatafan notes above because the typeface color doesn't have enough contrast with the underlying images that form the background, but don't let that stop you form enjoying this book.

One of the things that I enjoyed most about the book are the descriptions of the various types of ro. For example, gokoshi-ro described as "a kind of leno weave with pairs of warps twisted every five wefts." (page 89). I wish there were more close ups!

I thought the descriptions were better than "Kimono and the Colors of Japan."

Small note: "Summer" was started by Immortal Geisha, but this article appears to be the primary review as the other is locked down.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:21 am

NAME: kiiro

I cant wait to read this (no time soon though!) i share the view that modern kimono lack a certain sense of creativity seen in vintage and antique ones. so sad :(