Hiki Motif Assistance

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Hiki Motif Assistance

Post by IG Team » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:19 am

Kananami-san

Oneesan; Oniisan - Here is a photo of my DREAM Hiki - now in My possession!! YYYYAAAAAAYYYY!! :lovelove

The only thing is - can anyone help me in nailing down the motif?

Sake cups with kanji characters inside them, being tossed on the waves. There's also little swirling whirlpools along the hem.

It is Non-crested and has a (faux-layer - a "Hiyoku" I think?) from the waist down and along the front panels..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carter-kim ... 8230279505

I was hoping to have some information about this motif at my upcoming henshin - so Hopefully, (with the waves and whirlpools) it would be a motif appropriate for Summer. But, I really have no idea..

Ookini san dosu!

ainokimono
Senpai Shrimp (Admin)
Senpai Shrimp (Admin)

Re: Hiki Motif Assistance

Post by ainokimono » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:19 am

That's a gorgeous design :drooldrool: Congrats!

The hiki appears to be awase (fully lined) and not a ro or sha weave, so it's not a summer hiki. It's more likely a winter or spring hiki since I see spring flowers in the cups. (Please correct me if I'm wrong!) It's an awesome design though and I'm really curious to know its story too!

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:20 am

Kananami-san

Why thank you , thank you.

I appreciate all of your assistance and helpful suggestions (Well, being as it's a Hiki I may just wear it this month anyway since I do NOT make a Geisha's salary - and my Hiki selection is limited at best.)

Spring makes perfect sense. . Hmmmm...

I am a HUGE lover of the Bold and Dynamic designs and I just fell in LOVE with this Hiki and had to have her!

Any other comments or suggestions are most welcome..

Ookini san dosu!

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:20 am

Kokoro

Crashing waves are a winter motive. You also have spring (ume with round petals, sakura with slit petals) and fall flowers (chrysanthemum) and I see bamboo (all year).
So I would say it´s wearable in awase season. And it´s gorgeous, btw :drooldrool:

ainokimono
Senpai Shrimp (Admin)
Senpai Shrimp (Admin)

Post by ainokimono » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:21 am

Ookini to all - please keep the comments and suggestions coming as I am learning so much and I really appreciate all of the fantastic information.

So - all in all - I imagine it's a Hiki meant for Late Winter - Early Spring, then? With all the flowers. I really feel bad wearing it in July - BUT it's the only thing I have. . :cry: :cry:
Why are crashing waves a Winter Motif, I wonder? Does the water around the Coast of Japan get rough during the winter? (Hence: Crashing waves = winter) :?
I thought water motifs were usually for Summer. .

Can anyone make out the Kanji symbols here?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carter-kim ... 8230279505

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carter-kim ... 230279505/

What would be the symbolism of the Sake cups? :?

Ookini san dosu! Otano Moshimasu!

P.S. Thank you so much for all the praise regarding the Hiki! I am so glad other people like it as much as I do. This particular one came from: http://www.ichiroya.com/

ainokimono
Senpai Shrimp (Admin)
Senpai Shrimp (Admin)

Post by ainokimono » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:21 am

Water has different symbolism for different seasons. In winter seas are rough, hence crashing waves. In spring and summer water flows gracefully. In autumn water carries fallen leaves. I'm not sure about seigaha (sp?) - those ocean waves that look like rainbows.

I love water motif :katana: