More TPO Kimono, Obi, Accessory Charts

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

More TPO Kimono, Obi, Accessory Charts

Post by IG Team » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:14 am

SuzumeOdori

Someone asked me a question over on deviantArt about obijime and when to use what kinds and I realized I didn't actually know much about obijime specifics! So I'm in the middle of putting together what I can find and translate about the different types of obijime and such.

In doing so I've translated two TPO charts and thought I'd add them to the IG pile. :) Here's the first! Please feel free to spot check me, especially on the fabric terms down in the Town Wear and Travel Wear section. I found it interesting that it specifically said a white obijime was ok to wear with mofuku.

And the source, Kikonashi Kimono:

http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/~kimono07/tpo.html

If this chart is ok, then I'll go on and post the other chart plus a specific chart talking about what I've been able to find regarding types of obijime.

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Re: More TPO Kimono, Obi, Accessory Charts

Post by IG Team » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:15 am

SuzumeOdori

Here's the next chart, a seasonality one for kimono, obi, haori, and nagajuban from another kimono seller, Murakami Goods. :)

And the link to the chart if the image is being difficult:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-cySCNFv2IiQ/T ... chart2.jpg

Plus the link to the original source:

http://www.geocities.jp/muragohukuten/g ... po/tpo.htm

I've also done the kimono-accessories chart on that page as well, but haven't had time to format it yet.

Hikari
Moderating Team
Moderating Team

Post by Hikari » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:15 am

Hikari

Here's my spot-checking of the first chart:
-I can't see a maruguke obi-jime being appropriate with mofuku, i'll check the mofuku thread though
-obi-jime for formal occasions i don't think necessarily have to have/be gold and silver
-is a maru obi appropriate for an iro-muji, even if it's crested?
-tsukesage can be formal, and even crested, so they should be included in the formal section
-yukata can be paired with a nagoya obi and accessories when worn with a nagajuban
-the furisode section only applies to non-hanayome ouburisode (aka not ko-furisode or chuuburisode)

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:16 am

SuzumeOdori

hikari_evyon: Thank you very much, but I'm sorry for being unclear: I meant if anyone can spot check my translation of the Japanese.

I didn't make up this chart or decide what would go in each section, I'm just trying to provide a firsthand Japanese source and translating only what is there.

For example, the source says maruguke for the mofuku. It also says a white obi-age is ok, which I had never heard before.

If folks would like to debate if the source is accurate or not, that's great! I'm just trying to get more firsthand Japanese sources out there to help us all get a bigger picture of the TPO world. :)

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:17 am

Kouhiko

I sat down and translated the TPO chart in Kitsuke to Obi Musubi (1978, ISBN4-06-141665-0 C577). I notice this chart doesn't give all suitable options, but it is good for a general idea. It is a very large chart, you will likely need to enlarge it further in flickr in order to read it well.

00 - TPO translated by Kouhiko17, on Flickr

link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/32951072@N03/7129617685/

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Post by IG Team » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:17 am

SuzumeOdori

Here is the latest one I've done. It breaks down designs by month, which I don't see often. :)

Original:
http://kimono5.jp/kimono-of-seasons.html

Quat
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Post by Quat » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:34 pm

Soooo is there such a thing as mofuku with only one crest, or is it always with 5?
And re; mens wear, if it's black with 5 crests, is it formal wear AND mofuku? Or is there black formal wear that's specific for formal TPO and black formal wear that's specific to mourning wear??? What does a kaku obi for mourning wear look like?? Is it woven????

Kiyoe
Moderating Team
Moderating Team

Post by Kiyoe » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:26 pm

Quat wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:34 pm
Soooo is there such a thing as mofuku with only one crest, or is it always with 5?
And re; mens wear, if it's black with 5 crests, is it formal wear AND mofuku? Or is there black formal wear that's specific for formal TPO and black formal wear that's specific to mourning wear??? What does a kaku obi for mourning wear look like?? Is it woven????
Mofuku for close family members should always have 5 crests. Most of the time they are only worn for the actual funeral, although some families might also wear it for some of the memorial days that follow. Otherwise, more distant relatives and friends may instead wear an iromuji with black accessories.

Men's formal kuromontsuki with 5 crests is simply reisou, very formal wear, and for close relatives, there are no specific things that differentiate it between use at a wedding, and a funeral. That being said though, it is much more common for men to wear a black, formal suit with a black tie at a funeral, and not a kimono.

Quat
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Post by Quat » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:21 pm

Kiyoe wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:26 pm
Quat wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:34 pm
Mofuku for close family members should always have 5 crests. Most of the time they are only worn for the actual funeral, although some families might also wear it for some of the memorial days that follow. Otherwise, more distant relatives and friends may instead wear an iromuji with black accessories.

Men's formal kuromontsuki with 5 crests is simply reisou, very formal wear, and for close relatives, there are no specific things that differentiate it between use at a wedding, and a funeral. That being said though, it is much more common for men to wear a black, formal suit with a black tie at a funeral, and not a kimono.
I hoped that was the case re; men's formal/mofuku, thank you!

I guess I assume the lining in formal men's wear will generically be white silk, or some un-decorated color in any case? I thought women's mofuku is always lined in white (with a black hakakke) but I'm pretty sure I've seen 5 crested men's kimono lined in navy. :question: