[Knowledge] Season, Color, and Pattern Resources

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

[Knowledge] Season, Color, and Pattern Resources

Post by IG Team » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:01 am

NAME: ANNAMAYBELLE

I love to write, especially fiction based in historic Japan. Since I know that I'm no expert, I like to combine elements of many eras to make something that is clearly fiction, rather than taking a chance on flubbing up one single time period.

After reading about the 72 Seasons on Liza Dalby's Tale of Murasaki page, it gave me a lot of inspiration for a story of mine. The story follows the lives of four sisters, and the evolutions that they go through. The changes in the season, while subtle observations to most readers, are a constant reminder of the passing of time and the feel of the atmosphere. I really enjoyed the section on her website describing the different color combinations that Lady Murasaki wore in different seasons and occassions, but I'm dying to know more.

If anyone knows of any books, websites, or other resources where I could learn what flowers, colors, and patterns are appropriate for what times of the year, I would much appreciate it! Unfortunately I can't speak Japanese myself, but I have a friend that I might be able to blackmail or harrass... er, I mean, ask politely to translate for me. Also, if I find any more resources for these kinds of things, I'll be sure to post them. So far, all I've found are the most common two...

The 72 Seasons from Liza Dalby's "Tale of Murasaki" page
Murasaki's Favorite Color Combinations from Liza Dalby's "Tale of Murasaki" page

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I found a few more!

The Five Hundred Essential Japanese Season Words - This site lists words for things that are seen durring each season. The lists of plants in each season is very interesting.

Kasane no Irome - An amazing list of junihito color combos! It provides the seasons, the names of the combos, etc. Absolutely incredible stuff.

[Edited by bebemochi to include tag in title]

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Re: [Knowledge] Season, Color, and Pattern Resources

Post by IG Team » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:02 am

NAME: MISTI

http://kimono.fraise.net/infolinks.html

Fraise linked some great sites. I think there will be a lot in Naomi's links too.

IG Team
Administration Team
Administration Team

Re: [Knowledge] Season, Color, and Pattern Resources

Post by IG Team » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:03 am

NAME: ANNAMAYBELLE

There's some nice stuff there! I REALLY love one site I got to from a link on one of those sites...

The Monthly Kukai Report, namely the Kiyose section. Amazing lists of things that fit into each season. Especially nice inspiration for poetry (I love writing waka, though mine are all English)

Layer-Color is another decent one, and another link I got from there, The Patterns of Japan.

I'd also love any sites about heian kitsuke. I have one video of a woman donning a furisode (with help from two assistants), and information about makeup on Liza Dalby's Tale of Murasaki site, but that's it. ...of course, not that I'm following any of it to the t... In fact the heroine of my story, after going through many changes and evolutions in her life, cuts her long long long hair. A sort of symbology of abandoning what is expected of her and doing what she feels she must do.