Color han-eri for men and fabric formality

Wim
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Color han-eri for men and fabric formality

Post by Wim » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:39 am

Good day all,

Something is nagging in the back of my head. I remember vaguely that I've read somewhere that there are some rules for the men's han-eri.
For example, regarding the color of the han-eri, are there any rules for men like: white only for formal (礼装) and mofuku (喪服) or when wearing a summer kimono (夏着物) and for all those other times colored han-eri is advised ?
And when wearing a colored han-eri, should I keep it close/same color range to the kimono color ?

Then a question about the formality of the fabric, what I have read many times is that: Habutae>Omeshi>tsumugi>wool,cotton and hemp

* So habutae (羽二重) belongs to the formal (礼装) group but can it also be in the semi-formal group (準礼装) ?
* Where does omeshi (御召し) belongs to... formal or semi-formal group ?
* Tsumugi (紬) belongs to 'stylish going out' (お出掛けのしゃれ着) catagory ?

* Then where do Nishijin brocade (西陣織), crepe/chirimen (縮緬), meisen silk (銘仙) and figured satin/rinzu (綸子) belong to ?
--> formal (礼装) or semi-formal (準礼装) or 'stylish going out' (お出掛けのしゃれ着) or 'Relaxation stylish attire' くつろぎのしゃれ着 ?

Have many more questions about men's kitsuke and as soon as I remember them I'll ask :wink_samurai:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Wim's kimono page for men
https://www.oldjapan.org/menskimono/index.html

Gikuyu
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Re: Color han-eri for men and fabric formality

Post by Gikuyu » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:31 am

Wim wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:39 am
And when wearing a colored han-eri, should I keep it close/same color range to the kimono color ?
They tend to be still subdued like greens, browns, blues but they can be a different color!
The han'eri often just isn't flashy compared to womens kitsuke.

Pinku_Taanipu
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Re: Color han-eri for men and fabric formality

Post by Pinku_Taanipu » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:59 pm

Well that would be cool to have some pics showing things and even a post regarding all the needed things for male kitsuke, both for kimono and yukata like it was in the old forum for female kitsuke. :smile_samurai: