carrying the wagasa/umbrella in kimono

Wim
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

carrying the wagasa/umbrella in kimono

Post by Wim » Wed May 10, 2017 11:28 am

So, confused moment when I got out in the rain a few days ago.

Do you carry the wagasa/umbrella in your left hand or right hand, or is it just what you prefer ? :surprise_samurai:
Does this hand position change if it stops raining when you carry the umbrella closed ?

Looking at the images on the net, the right hand seems to be common for women, but also for men ? Am I overthinking and there isn't a rule for wagasa etiquette ?

(March 2017: Sisters Geiko Eriha, Maiko Mamekinu, Tatsuha, Yuriha and Mameaki (Tama Okiya) of Gion Kobu on their way to a joint engagement.)

Nothing found yet in my kimono study books... -_-"

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Wim's kimono page for men
https://www.oldjapan.org/menskimono/index.html

Kiyoe
Moderating Team
Moderating Team

Re: carrying the wagasa/umbrella in kimono

Post by Kiyoe » Fri May 12, 2017 3:13 pm

In general, I think you might just be over thinking it. I know there is a more or less unwritten convention among groups like the military of carrying items like a purse or a jacket on your left arm, which frees up the right arm in case you need to make a salute (with the civilian analogue being able to shake a person's hand) without having to transfer your items to the other hand.

Most Japanese traditional arts like tea ceremony insist that the only proper form for many moves is "right handed", so even a left-handed practitioner would whisk the tea by holding the chasen in the right hand (unless they had some sort of disability on the right hand that completely prevents it, and it would necessitate some minor, but extra moves). I have heard the same sort of thing from people who practice various martial arts forms with swords, that it is always done "right handed".

In the context of maiko/geiko, from what I have observed from photos is that they have been taught to typically carry their kago in the left arm. Depending on how many other things they are carrying with them, they might either hold a second item in the left hand, or right. But outside of this, I have seen a lot of people in kimono carrying things in either hand. (I am usually in kimono to go to chado so its typically my purse in one hand and my tote bag with my zori/lunch/fukusa/etc. in the other)

Wim
Shikomi-san
Shikomi-san

Re: carrying the wagasa/umbrella in kimono

Post by Wim » Tue May 16, 2017 6:04 am

Thank you for the reply, as suspected a bit overthinking on my part.
That's probably why I couldn't find (yet) any information about this in the kimono study books and magazines. (or it should be kyuu 1-2 stuff, which I doubt)

Let's see... what was that other thing that bugged me lately :cheeky_samurai:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Wim's kimono page for men
https://www.oldjapan.org/menskimono/index.html