Maiko-san

:eng :jp World of Traditional Japanese Hairstyles

Post by shira » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:21 am

NAME: kailin98

World of Traditional Japanese Hairstyles - Hairstyles of The Maiko
aka Nihongami no Sekai - Maiko no kamigata
:eng :jp
ISBN: no ISBN available

This book is written by Tetsuo Ishihara, master hairdresser who also opened the Museum of Traditional Hairstyles in Kyoto located in Gion area. This is a wonderful book that includes heaps of pictures in colour. Amazing step by step method of how to create all 5 maiko hairstyles are included, along with putting on shironuri (white) makeup and dressing in hikizuri and tying the darari obi. Pictures of lesser-used hairstyles, hana kanzashi of all 12 months, various kanokodome (hair ornaments) and obidome are included. This book features the lovely Pontocho maiko (now geiko I believe..or has she left?) Shinahide as the model. Best part of the book? It also includes a DVD for the ofuku hairstyle, shironuri makeup application and Shinahide getting dressed, from the start of the process till the end result ready for ozashiki.

The book is available at the Museum of Traditional Hairstyles, and cost 10000 yen. I didn't expect this, but the copy I purchased was autographed by Tetsuo Ishihara himself! He has a couple of other books on traditional hairstyles all available at the museum, and in my opinion is a very valuable place to visit before the art is all lost to modern times. Only drawback is the lack of credit card facility at the museum, so prepare some cash before visiting!

Recommended: People interested in Maiko dressing, those interested in creating all the hairstyles of maiko

Not recommended: People seeking information about Geiko and traditional Heian hairstyle (that's in his other books I believe)

Last edited by kailin98 on Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Re: :eng :jp World of Traditional Japanese Hairstyles

NAME: yohmama-san

I have looked and looked and looked some more, but I can't find a copy of this book available for purchase anywhere on-line. :cry:

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Re: :eng :jp World of Traditional Japanese Hairstyles

NAME: kailin98

Hi Yohmama-san,

I believe a copy is available from eBay by seller hannari-ya (I am in no way paid by seller or affiliated!) but it's going for USD$250 and $35 for shipping. A little too steep if you ask me since the RRP at the shop itself (with bonus autograph) was 10000 yen. If you are desperate for the book then by all means go for it. If not, plan a trip to Kyoto soon =D coz with that amount you could probably get all three books by Tetsuo Ishihara and also visit his hair museum! That's smart shopping...lol