A Geisha's Journey: My Life as a Kyoto Apprentice, Komomo (some links in main post need updating once posts are up)

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

A Geisha's Journey: My Life as a Kyoto Apprentice, Komomo (some links in main post need updating once posts are up)

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:31 pm

NAME: tzippurah

A Geisha's Journey: My Life as a Kyoto Apprentice
Komomo
Photographs by Naoyuki Ogino
ISBN: 0784770030672
144 pages
From Amazon

Contents
  • Foreward
    Preface: Childhood Dreams
    The First Steps
    A Hanamachi Education
    Inside the House
    The Art of Performance
    Decision Time
    The Birth of a Geiko
    A Journey Begins

Afterword
    Acknowledgements
Review

I found this book incredibly engaging despite not being a dedicated geiko fan like many in the forums. Komomo's voice comes through the translation very well and lets you gain a sense of what her daily life as a maiko and then a geiko is like. The real strength of the book lies in its candid photographs taken by Naoyuki Ogani. Ogani has documented Komomo since she was fourteen or fifteen, even before she had decided to become a maiko, up to after her erikae and becoming independent (around 21 or 22).

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who is interested in learning a bit more about geiko in a non-painful way. And of course for Komomo fans this is probably an autobuy.

Recommended for:

-Komomo fans
-People who want a nice light read and some pretty pictures

Not recommended for:

-People looking for in depth information about maiko and geiko kimono, kanzashi, dances, etc.

Related threads

Komomo performance in LA from A Geisha's Journey
New Book: A Geisha's Journey: My Life As A Kyoto Apprentice
KOMOMO

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Re: A Geisha's Journey: My Life as a Kyoto Apprentice, Komomo (some links in main post need updating once posts are up)

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:31 pm

NAME: U no Hana

I absolutely love this book... it has helped me to break all the misconceptions about geisha's world with my friends (well, at least with the ones who are able to read English). One of them was so moved that she even cried when reading the moment Komomo became independent. :smil3:

The photos are amazing.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Re: A Geisha's Journey: My Life as a Kyoto Apprentice, Komomo (some links in main post need updating once posts are up)

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:32 pm

NAME: Iyolin

I have this book too and really liked it. It was the personal story I was looking for, without the need for a novel (like that of Mineko or others). Lots of personal touches and insights to her life, from when she was young.

Ogino-san's pictures are such a lovely journalistic style; I'm so happy that he saw potential for this project and that her family was accommodating (he went to live with them in China).

Some of the content is also in Kateigaho International Magazine, 2006 Spring edition (I think). She's on the cover.

To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. - Joseph Chilton Pearce

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:32 pm

NAME: tzippurah

I forgot to say how moved I was when I saw the picture of Komomo in a rickshaw for her erikae. One of her customers had hired it so she wouldn't have to walk to each of the 40 or so teahouses to make her greetings like she had when she became a maiko. It just seemed so considerate and nice, it warmed my heart.

I also liked the part where she said:
I also soon realized ozashiki are completely different for geiko and maiko. Maiko are often seen as just stereotypes; nobody bothers to look beyond the make-up to the real person beneath. A geiko, on the other hand, is seen as an individual with a name and a unique personality. For a maiko, the most important thing is to match the image that people have of us, but as a geiko, it's okay for us to let our own character show. After all my worry about becoming a geiko, I finally felt liberated.

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:33 pm

NAME: LightspeedGoddess

tzippurah-san, I can't wait to get this book now - thanks for sharing it with us! :lovelove

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:33 pm

NAME: Yingchugma

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who is interested in learning a bit more about geiko in a non-painful way

I'm gonna get this book for my japanese arts events, like you sat Tzippurah and U no Hana it sounds like a great way for those who are beginning to be interested to lift the veil some - and if i leave it 'lying around' people wont have to ask difficult questions either (people can be so shy :coy: )
:)

shira
Maiko-san
Maiko-san

Post by shira » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:34 pm

NAME: Toyoka

Ookini for your review, I definitely gonna read that :smil3: